• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Guide] - Buffered Dash Attack Locks (Updated 6/27) - Now With Video

noradseven

Smash Lord
1. Your next intended DA would throw the banana.

2. You can only hold one item at any given time.
Or you can go lol, and just glide toss it at him, pick up the next nanner during the slide hit him with it again, then d-smash, its not particularly hard.

Hence

Smash Ace
Or you can go lol, and just glide toss it at him, pick up the next nanner during the slide hit him with it again, then d-smash, its not particularly hard.
Landing a D-Smash is really difficult after a banana trip, Norad. There are a total of twenty frames of startup. :ohwell:

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
For anyone wondering, nair1 autocanceled is a good setup for dazlock for the characters that start at very low percents (Olimar, MK, others)

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Well...

What do you think about this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jcOgcy3DMA

I'm not sure how easy this can be escaped via DI or how much influence move dimishing has.

So maybe someone could try this with a human in normal Brawl-Mode (Not Training Mode)
Unfortunately, the Dsmash takes too long for it to be comboed in. It's actually pretty easy to escape at the Dsmash bits.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Well...

What do you think about this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jcOgcy3DMA

I'm not sure how easy this can be escaped via DI or how much influence move dimishing has.

So maybe someone could try this with a human in normal Brawl-Mode (Not Training Mode)
I said this in a comment, but:

1. The consecutive hits meter is terrible, which is why everything should be tested with a human player. Dash attack locks don't register with consecutive hits, though, either. (This is in response to something someone said in a YouTube comment.)

2. The "infinite" you propose is not a true combo. However, as I said once before in the thread, it is possible to "mindgame" your opponent into being hit by the down smash. I don't think I've yet missed a dsmash out of a dash attack lock unless the opponent buffers a shield. In most cases, they're trying to SDI out, though.

Still, you shouldn't try it more than once in a while or you'll get punished hard.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Ya SFP hit me with the dsmash even though I knew what to do (I blame lagfi). It's not intuitive to escape so this can definitely work once or twice unless they troll our boards and know what to do.

And move decay will make the lock last longer. Notice how in your vid MK starts getting knocked back at a higher angle? That's when the lock ended, and in a real match those are the percents where you can no longer begin the lock (it's a huge window to start it though).

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Ya SFP hit me with the dsmash even though I knew what to do (I blame lagfi). It's not intuitive to escape so this can definitely work once or twice unless they troll our boards and know what to do.

And move decay will make the lock last longer. Notice how in your vid MK starts getting knocked back at a higher angle? That's when the lock ended, and in a real match those are the percents where you can no longer begin the lock (it's a huge window to start it though).
Actually he was in training mode, so in a real match, if the attack was decayed it might have still worked.

ninjabiz

Smash Rookie
*I taped the 2nd controller's shield button down during these matches.*

I've had MK at 9, 16, or 23% during these tests, and started at many distance; nothing worked. I can continuously DA at the edge, like FadedImage suggested. I even went into training to test my buffering. I set the speed at 1/4, and input another DA right as she descends, the buffering was correct, but the lock wasn't. The second DA was power shielded every time. :(
The %'s you claim are the starting points have 2 hitstun animations: 0-20 & 21-57. According to my results, it is possible to buffer a shield during both animations, thus discrediting this "lock".

If you wish to correct me, then add me on Wifi and perform your "lock" on me.

Red=Applies to all (?) characters.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
*I taped the 2nd controller's shield button down during these matches.*

I've had MK at 9, 16, or 23% during these tests, and started at many distance; nothing worked. I can continuously DA at the edge, like FadedImage suggested. I even went into training to test my buffering. I set the speed at 1/4, and input another DA right as she descends, the buffering was correct, but the lock wasn't. The second DA was power shielded every time. :(
The %'s you claim are the starting points have 2 hitstun animations: 0-20 & 21-57+. According to my results, it is possible to buffer a shield during both animations, thus discrediting this "lock".

If you wish to correct me, then add me on Wifi and perform your "lock" on me.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOthisisSFP'sfaultOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Confirm anybody? =\

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Confirm anybody? =\
I tried this guy's test.

This lock only works on Meta Knight when Dash Attack is fresh, and only after 40% or so, but I don't have an exact percent.

The locks work, but perhaps I need to evaluate the characters on an individual basis.

I also used this test on King Dedede, and everything works as I wrote in the guide. I'm going to do per character tests and get some more specific results in the morning. I really should have done it a while ago, I'm just lazy.

ninjabiz

Smash Rookie
I tried this guy's test.

This lock only works on Meta Knight when Dash Attack is fresh, and only after 40% or so, but I don't have an exact percent.
DA was fresh everytime, I SD'd after every failed attempt (all of them were). 40% is still in the 2nd hitstun animation. 57% is when the 3rd animation starts. I didn't test that one, because it will only link 2, maybe 3 hits.

The locks work, but perhaps I need to evaluate the characters on an individual basis.
Most likely not.

I also used this test on King Dedede, and everything works as I wrote in the guide. I'm going to do per character tests and get some more specific results in the morning. I really should have done it a while ago, I'm just lazy.
I'll test DeDeDe's now, at all of your %'s, plus each animation's starting %.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
DA was fresh everytime, I SD'd after every failed attempt (all of them were). 40% is still in the 2nd hitstun animation. 57% is when the 3rd animation starts. I didn't test that one, because it will only link 2, maybe 3 hits.

Most likely not.

I'll test DeDeDe's now, at all of your %'s, plus each animation's starting %.
So far, this is what I have found using your exact test:

Does not work on:

Mario
Luigi

Works on:

Peach after 50%
Bowser after 50%
Donkey Kong after 50%
Diddy Kong after 50%
Yoshi after 50%

If the 3rd animation starts at 57%, maybe the dash attack's one decay gets them to 57% from here, starting the lock. Dash attack is 8%.

In each of these cases, the dash attack was decayed various amounts. The most exact I have is Diddy Kong's, who I had used exactly once.

I have taped the shield button down and went into vs. mode. I dsmashed the second player to 50% and started the chain. In each case, the chain functioned as it should. In some cases, the dash attack needed to be decayed once. I would then walk the second player off the edge, come back, and try again. With dash attack decayed once, it worked with Diddy Kong.

EDIT: This is seemingly confirmed. Starting it at 49-50%+ seems to work fine. Are you getting different results?

ninjabiz

Smash Rookie
DeDeDe's did not work at 26%. :/

So far, this is what I have found using your exact test:

Does not work on:

Mario
Luigi

Works on:

Peach after 50%
Bowser after 50%
Donkey Kong after 50%
Diddy Kong after 50%
Yoshi after 50%

If the 3rd animation starts at 57%, maybe the dash attack's one decay gets them to 57% from here, starting the lock. Dash attack is 8%.

In each of these cases, the dash attack was decayed various amounts. The most exact I have is Diddy Kong's, who I had used exactly once.

I have taped the shield button down and went into vs. mode. I dsmashed the second player to 50% and started the chain. In each case, the chain functioned as it should. In some cases, the dash attack needed to be decayed once. I would then walk the second player off the edge, come back, and try again. With dash attack decayed once, it worked with Diddy Kong.

I tested Diddy Kong at 49 & 52% with one DA used, it chained till the end of FD! However, with 2 decayed, it only chained 2 DA's total. 3 decayed didn't get anymore than 1 (the attempt at chaining, second was PS).
This lock seems to be highly situational, unless you can figure out the % one can be locked with X amount of decayed DA's. :/

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
DeDeDe's did not work at 26%. :/

I tested Diddy Kong at 49 & 52% with one DA used, it chained till the end of FD! However, with 2 decayed, it only chained 2 DA's total. 3 decayed didn't get anymore than 1 (the attempt at chaining, second was PS).
This lock seems to be highly situational, unless you can figure out the % one can be locked with X amount of decayed DA's. :/
It does seem somewhat more situational now, but I'm glad it works and I'm glad we were able to figure it out. Thanks.

Here are the rules, I believe:

The dsmash you perform must knock the opponent over 56% damage (so to 57%). This means that it works when fresh best between 50 and 60. The higher you go, the more decayed dash attack needs to be. That's not actually that big a deal, since once you start the chain fresh it decays on it's own.

Also, you'll notice that the chain works on Dedede fully decayed for quite a while. It seems character specific.

ninjabiz

Smash Rookie
It does seem somewhat more situational now, but I'm glad it works and I'm glad we were able to figure it out. Thanks.

Here are the rules, I believe:

The dsmash you perform must knock the opponent over 56% damage (so to 57%). This means that it works when fresh best between 50 and 60. The higher you go, the more decayed dash attack needs to be. That's not actually that big a deal, since once you start the chain fresh it decays on it's own.

A chart displaying the %'s (X) and # (Y) of decays could definitely be useful.

Something like this, only simpler.
http://pokemon-evolution.tripod.com/elementalchart.html

I'd be more than happy to help test (If you need/want help). I just have to find my account password or email. XD

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
A chart displaying the %'s (X) and # (Y) of decays could definitely be useful.

Something like this, only simpler.
http://pokemon-evolution.tripod.com/elementalchart.html

I'd be more than happy to help test (If you need/want help). I just have to find my account password or email. XD
Sure. I'll be up for a while. PM me your AIM if you have one and I'll IM you. Thanks for the help.

Edit: This guy and i just stayed up for hours putting together data for... five characters. Long way to go. But enjoy it.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Yeah it often wouldn't work below 50% for me, so I just let the standard rule be the loop works fresh starting around 50%, I just figured I was doing it wrong or something.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Sounds like this is getting complicated fast.

Most of all, I want to know about snake. Are his % true? I remember my opponent escaping from it at the tourney I went to when I started it at 50%, but I just assumed I had done it wrong.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Yeah it often wouldn't work below 50% for me, so I just let the standard rule be the loop works fresh starting around 50%, I just figured I was doing it wrong or something.
Actually, goop was wrong about that. Most characters start between 34 and 37%. Read the updated sections of the OP. There is, however, a dead zone in the middle of the combo that causes the target to "bounce" for no reason. Some characters can be hit out of this before the tech window though, so it doesn't matter.

@ThreeSided: We'll do Snake today.

goop123

Smash Rookie
Finished Mario and DK. (took about an hour)

Mario: Very common %'s.

Start-last % before dead zone ( 41-59% )
Dead zone ( 60-67% )
First % that the tech range disappears-Last % the second (buffered) DA connects ( 68-96% )

DK: Strangest character I've tested.

[Same format as above]

40-65%
66-80% ---- The first and last few %'s have about a 1 frame tech window...
81-113%

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Finished Mario and DK. (took about an hour)

Mario: Very common %'s.

Start-last % before dead zone ( 41-59% )
Dead zone ( 60-67% )
First % that the tech range disappears-Last % the second (buffered) DA connects ( 68-96% )

DK: Strangest character I've tested.

[Same format as above]

40-65%
66-80% ---- The first and last few %'s have about a 1 frame tech window...
81-113%
Did you test with decay?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Snake:

40-64%
65-81%
82-107%

Confirm when you can.
Confirmed. I didn't make a new table for him, however; I just added him to the Donkey Kong Table. Both end at 107%, it seems, and the percentages are only slightly different for the "dead zone" which I made a note of. The thing is there's no practical use for the "dead zone" because most people will have decay on their dash attack and just skip right over it.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
If the "bounce" allows a true combo into dsmash it'd be huge to find where that bounce happens. 37% to finish off the lock, that's super sexy.

goop123

Smash Rookie
The"bounce" to force get up appears with decay. During the 50's and 60's, DA to Dsmash appears to be a true combo, so if you miss the DA buffer, a Dsmash will most likely come out; either is quite acceptable.

Marth:
38-55%
56-65%
66-96%

He was kinda rushed, so confirm when you can.
I have to go now, I'll test more on monday.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
Code:
Character            Start     End
------------------------------------
Bowser			38	70
Donkey Kong		43	69
Snake			42	68
King Dedede		37	67
Charizard		42	66
Ganondorf		41	66
Samus			46	66
Wario			46	66
Yoshi			46	66
ROB			46	65
Ike			46	65
Captain Falcon		45	65
Link			40	65
Wolf			45	64
Ivysaur			44	63
Lucario			44	62
Mario			44	62
Luigi			44	62
Sonic			43	61
Lucas			38	61
Ness			43	61
Pit			38	61
Diddy Kong		43	61
Ice Climbers		42	59
Toon Link		42	60
Peach			42	60
Marth			41	59
Sheik			40	58
Zelda			40	58
Falco			40	57
Olimar			40	57
ZSS			39	56
Fox			39	56
Meta Knight		39	56
Pikachu			39	56
Kirby			39	55
Squirtle		38	54
Jigglypuff		36	52
Game & Watch		35	54
10charslol

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Have you guys experimented with this on sloped surfaces? Here's what I think might happen:

Going down hill might give them more time to buffer a dodge or shield to get out. OR it could cause them to not hit tech frames in time, making them chained when they usually couldn't. =)

Going up hill would probably cause them to hit the ground every time for a bounce. This could mean that they can tech throughout, making it not as useful. OR like with the bounces you mentioned, it will cause them to be hit anyways because they wont hit tech frames in time, meaning that the bounce would just mean that they get hit every time, possibly making it a zero-death on some characters on stages such as lost planet and yoshi's island (melee). =D

Yoshi's (melee) and lost planet for ZSS counterpick choices anyone?

Or it could just have no effect...

I think it's worth checking out, though. =)

Top Bottom