• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Using his in-game noises for his entrance or taunts would be the most reasonable thing to do, but other than that he should be silent.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I think he's gonna be starter. He is a popular starter like Charizard (who's a starter). Plus, he can be easily used as a marketing strategy for gen. 6.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Unlockable

Starters will be pikachu,lucario,charizard
Unlockables are Greninja,Jigglypuff,Mewtwo

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I think:
Starters: Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Greninja (and maybe Squirtle and Ivysaur but they are most likely cut)

Unlockable: Mewtwo, Jigglypuff

Pikachu is the mascot. Charizard, Lucario and Greninja are the most popular Pokemon from their generations.

Mewtwo is unlockable because he is legendary and is as a result too epic to be a starter.

Jigglypuff is unlockable because she is not as important or popular as the others.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Personally, I think only Pika and Charizard will be starters. Greninja MAYBE. Lucario and any others will be unlockable.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Except for Luigi, Sonic, and Mega Man, Im guessing none of the characters confirmed on the official site so far are secret characters, so starting roster for Greninja...

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I personally think that Greninja will be an unlockable character. It seems that unlike the brawl Dojo, the sm4sh dojo is made to show what has been publically revealed. There aren't any markers that show who is unlockable or not. I think that Pikachu and Charizard will be starters. The only newcomers that I think will start off will be the Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, and the Villager will be there to start, mainly because they were the start of the reveal of the game. Greninja was hidden for so long that I think he's going to be unlockable.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'd prefer if he was unlockable, but I'm guessing he's a starter character since he is a starter Pokemon. In the first three games, you start out with only starter Pokemon (Pikachu, Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Starting Pokemon:
Chespin
> Quillidan
> > Chesnaught

Fenniken
> Braixen
> > Delphox

Froakie
> Frogadier
> > Greninja <---- There's your answer

OrangeJuice

Smash Rookie
NNID
Biastoise
How do you think Greninja compares to Sheik? This thread is not about MU but playstyle. Do you think the two characters will play similarly?

Hong

The Strongest
If you put aesthetics aside, Greninja reminds me a lot of Falco, sans slow ground-speed. Very fast single jump and decent ways to send people into the air.

That aside, he is looking to be a more elusive fighter compared to Sheik. With Sheik, you always want to position yourself far away so that you are out of the opponent's reach, but close enough that her incredible agility will be able to pounce on any opportunity. She has needles, but those are for gimps and something you charge between stocks, at best.

Greninja two options at a range and a very nice defensive move. He doesn't need to play it close if he doesn't want to.

If I had to make an early and risky call, I would say Sheik will have a higher risk, but higher reward. I would hope that at least one of her new, rather risky looking specials, represent this.

OrangeJuice

Smash Rookie
NNID
Biastoise
Yeah well I'm sure there going to play noticeably different but clearly they are both quick characters who can combo easily.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
The big thing in this match is one important question; Water Shuriken vs Needles

Whoever beats out the other in this projectile war gets a stock, due to the high falling speed and easy combing skills of the 2. Sure it might not be a stock, but it'll defiantly give the comboer an advantage.

OrangeJuice

Smash Rookie
NNID
Biastoise
The big thing in this match is one important question; Water Shuriken vs Needles

Whoever beats out the other in this projectile war gets a stock, due to the high falling speed and easy combing skills of the 2. Sure it might not be a stock, but it'll defiantly give the comboer an advantage.
Well now Sheik has new projectiles like the grenade so that will help with Sheiks gme for sure. The Sheik whip was always useless. Greninja just looks like a really fun character to use and very combo oriented which is what I like about Sheik.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Yeah, I say Pikachu and Charizard are starter, and Greninja, Lucario and any potential other Pokemon characters are locked, if only because since Charizard was in PKMN Trainer's team and he was starter. and we've never had anyone go from starter to locked.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest

If history repeats itself, the needles will eat the shurikens.

That said, it looks like the power of the Water Shuriken lies in its carrying effect. You can see Bowser get dragged across the stage in Greninja's reveal trailer.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I think SHeik would still win. While they are both combo centric characters, Greninja's moves are ending lag heavy, no matter how you look at it. He's all aesthetic pleasure. Sheik? Not so much. And this is from a guy who plans on using both as secondaries in Smash 4. No bias here.

MistFist

Smash Cadet
I think sheik would come up on top due to his speed compared to greninja... but @ StaffofSmashing StaffofSmashing is correct it will have to be about its projectiles... along with that, idk how sheiks up B move compares to greninja but recovery is also a big part in the game so thats another thing that would definitely affect who would come out on top. speed, projectile, and recovery... i guess we would have to wait till the game comes out to find out more about the differences they have...

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
They don't seem like they play alike at all. Greninja, as stated by Sakurai is gonna be relying on his shadow sneak a lot. Not only can u teleport at different distances and attack right out of it, but you can charge a move, and teleport while charging it, and then attack with the charged up thing.
Just imagine how campy can he be, he can teleport and throw shuriken, you get close he teleports again, builds some damage and then goes in for a surprise attack. Also i think his substitute might not be a counter, rather a teleport backwards and the substitute could probably be used as an item.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Their play styles seem to be vastly different. The major similarity is that both are speedsters with ninja-like fighting styles... What I am trying to say is that comparing Sheik and Greninja is kind of pointless.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
0o0o0o...what if its a female?
fem-shepard plz ~
People have the weird idea that every Pokémon is male. Most people are calling Greninja he, when it could perfectly be a she. I personally call Greninja "it" to avoid confusion.

Anyway, I think Greninja will be silent. Otherwise, I hope it has variations of its in-game cry as its voice in Smash Bros. I will take both of these scenarios over Greninja making weird animal-like noises, like Bowser, Charizard, etc. Speaking of Bowser, it would be so good if they gave him the voice he has in Mario games instead of the stupid noises he makes in Brawl.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
In the Smash series, the voices/sounds of Pokemon were more from the anime then the games, but unless I'm remembering wrong, Greninja hasn't made an appearance in the anime yet.

So the question is, will he:

a) Sound like he does in the games

b) Have a voice and make humanistic reactions like Lucario only without actual words

c) Like b, only with real speech

d) Make animalistic noises like Charizard does in Smash (i.e. different sounds instead of those from the games)

e) Just repeat its name like it undoubtedly will eventually in the anime
Well, all I know is that Greninja (Gekkouga in Japanese) will be in the latest Pokemon movie. So I think that is when we may get a glimpse of what it sounds like or maybe within a future anime episode?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I am really hoping Greninja either sounds similarly to how it does in the games, or has realistic frog noises. I REALLY hope Greninja does not repeat its name over and over again--in mine opinion, it just does not suit the particular Pokémon. I seriously doubt Greninja will be completely silent; because in Brawl, even the characters that were incapable of speech (e.g. ROB, G&W) made SOME kind of noise. [Shrugs] Then again, Olimar never made a sound, did he?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
In order to advertise Pokemon X and Y, I think Greninja will be default, along with Pikachu and Charizard. I think Lucario and Jigglypuff will be unlockable.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If Mewtwo and Jigglypuff are both in, I think two unlockables is more than enough. Having all four currently-revealed Pokemon as starters is fine.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I say Pikachu and Charizard are starter, and Greninja, Lucario and any potential other Pokemon characters are locked, if only because since Charizard was in PKMN Trainer's team and he was starter. and we've never had anyone go from starter to locked.
We've had Falcon and Ness go from starter to unlockable in Melee to Brawl.

I honestly think that Sakurai is going to just reveal the whole roster before the summer release. That being said, I think Greninja and Lucario will be our unlockables. Charizard is a curve ball, I could see him being a starter or unlockable.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Ness and Falcon are a different case though, they started as secret in 64. Brawl made anyone who was secret in the other two games be secret again. What I really meant was that we've never seen someone who was starter in their first appearance then be secret.

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
My guess is that Pikachu is for sure starter and then the 2nd one will be Lucario

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
We've had Falcon and Ness go from starter to unlockable in Melee to Brawl.

I honestly think that Sakurai is going to just reveal the whole roster before the summer release. That being said, I think Greninja and Lucario will be our unlockables. Charizard is a curve ball, I could see him being a starter or unlockable.
They were also unlockable in the first game. I don't think Charizard is going to be an unlockable honestly, I just don't see any reason for it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think it'll likely be unlockable mainly going by the precedent of Pokemon newcomers in Melee and Brawl. The new and hugely popular addition is one that has to be worked for to be used.

Other than Pikachu, I think Charizard may very well be the only starter Pokemon this time.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I am really hoping Greninja either sounds similarly to how it does in the games, or has realistic frog noises. I REALLY hope Greninja does not repeat its name over and over again--in mine opinion, it just does not suit the particular Pokémon. I seriously doubt Greninja will be completely silent; because in Brawl, even the characters that were incapable of speech (e.g. ROB, G&W) made SOME kind of noise. [Shrugs] Then again, Olimar never made a sound, did he?
No, but his eyes say all we need to know.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Olimar does have a voice.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
He would sound like Dan Green, because he is so manly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom