• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
People have the weird idea that every Pokémon is male. Most people are calling Greninja he, when it could perfectly be a she. I personally call Greninja "it" to avoid confusion.

Anyway, I think Greninja will be silent. Otherwise, I hope it has variations of its in-game cry as its voice in Smash Bros. I will take both of these scenarios over Greninja making weird animal-like noises, like Bowser, Charizard, etc. Speaking of Bowser, it would be so good if they gave him the voice he has in Mario games instead of the stupid noises he makes in Brawl.
To be fair though, the gender ratio of all starter Pokemon is (for some reason) predominately male.

On the flipside, most consider the Jigglypuff in Smash a female due to their gender ratio being mostly female.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
I suppose you can't exactly compare to two yet. Wait until the game is released and compare them then to properly find comparisons.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I suppose you can't exactly compare to two yet. Wait until the game is released and compare them then to properly find comparisons.
What we can compare, though, is their attack value and movement styles to find an at least somewhat accurate matchup. We can't compare techs and L-Cancelling (if it's even back), but yes.

D

Deleted member

You can very faintly hear what he sounds like in this video.
Of course he sounds like a chain smoker and it seems like he does the typical Pokemon saying their names thing, but you take what you can get.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Based on the gameplay vids, Greninja's Final Smash opens by hitting it's opponent with Mat Block. Anyone hit by it gets trapped in the attack, similar to Great Aether.

Hong

The Strongest
Tell me I am not the only one hearing him shout "NO!" after he is launched?

This is so funny.

I don't know why but I find it absolutely hysterical whenever he dies.

Edit - LOL

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
You can also hear him very clearly in the IGN videos here and here, the latter of which has the clips for his Final Smash and Winning pose.

According to a friend of mine, it sounds like Froakie's anime voice actor Billy Bob Thompson, what do you guys think of that?

bobadz

Smash Ace
You can also hear him very clearly in the IGN videos here and here, the latter of which has the clips for his Final Smash and Winning pose.

According to a friend of mine, it sounds like Froakie's anime voice actor Billy Bob Thompson, what do you guys think of that?
I expected it.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Well, it doesn't sound too bad. Kinda watery, which is good. Very ninja-esque.
But that moan when he gets launched, though. I see tourney commentators making fun of it.

Last edited:

Levusti

Smash Rookie
Umm...That Final Smash though...

"Jjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajjajja...JA!"

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

Seems legit. Things I like about Greninja's voice:

• Sounds kinda like his in-game cry
  • Gives a serious character a softer edge
  • Makes me want a big froggie hug
  • Doesn't brag about his aura all the time
  • He doesn't actually talk

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Kinda sounds like a cross between Stitch and Gollum. :joyful:

So basically they went the anime voice route. I'm alright with that.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's very different from what I expected, but also very animated. The "Noooooo!" (It sounds like that, I know it's part of his name though." sounds pretty hilarious, and I'm looking forward to it. Yay!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wanna scream WRYY-meme when using Greninja's Final Smash (MUDA DA! MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA---)

His voice though, it sounds... funny? I guess it makes him feel cool yet almost parody-toned on what he's inspired from.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
You can also hear him very clearly in the IGN videos
here and here, the latter of which has the clips for his Final Smash and Winning pose.

In the former video you can hear his Star KO scream.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Actually, has a Greninja appeared in the anime yet? It's pretty freaking obvious Ash's Froakie will eventually become one, but otherwise that means Greninja's anime voice debuted in Smash and not the show itself. Fascinating.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I love it. Honestly, I don't care for the characters that take themselves too seriously in Smash games. I was afraid Greninja was going to be all dark and serious, and then I saw his cam-smack KO and heard his the "frog in his throat" voice (hehe, the puns). It's just so silly, and I adore it.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Actually, has a Greninja appeared in the anime yet? It's pretty freaking obvious Ash's Froakie will eventually become one, but otherwise that means Greninja's anime voice debuted in Smash and not the show itself. Fascinating.
Not yet. It will in the movie this summer.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Probably the clearest I've heard Greninja since you wouldn't hear people talking or lots of background noise.

GRENOOOOOOOOOO!!!

D

Deleted member

I'm perfectly okay with this voice. I couldn't hear it at Smashfest and I thought he was silent, but apparently not. I like that his voice is kinda quiet and ninja like though. That Final Smash clip though. And yeah, his death cry is a bit silly, but I don't mind. He's a frog. It fits him well enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
His voice is great

...except for that "NO!" I'm really hoping the damaged sound will be fixed to only happen at high percentages. Otherwise that is going to be terrible. Really terrible. It's not bad now, but wait until we get a hold of the game. Every Greninja match is going to have six or seven random NOs in it.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I gotta say, I really like the direction they took with his voice. It seems that he's doing everything he can to mask his "silly" frog voice to seem more serious and ninja-like when he's in control, but the moment things go wrong, the facade flies right off revealing that no matter how much you dress up a frog, it's still a frog. Given that frogs are my favorite animal, I absolutely love it haha.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I gotta say, I really like the direction they took with his voice. It seems that he's doing everything he can to mask his "silly" frog voice to seem more serious and ninja-like when he's in control, but the moment things go wrong, the facade flies right off revealing that no matter how much you dress up a frog, it's still a frog. Given that frogs are my favorite animal, I absolutely love it haha.
When he faceplants the screen, I'm left thinking about a frog on a windshield... dark, but kinda funny.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think I just hear straight ninja, not really any frog. But I think but I can't completely tell do the players make grunts after being hit by a smash attack like in melee or not? I thought I could hear it but not for sure.

AJ34

Smash Cadet
NNID
AndrewB34
It sounds fine. They went the anime route with his voice just like ivysaur and squirtle in Brawl. In the actual game, he sounds like
Not really sure what you would do with that. They probably just did it for consistency.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think I just hear straight ninja, not really any frog. But I think but I can't completely tell do the players make grunts after being hit by a smash attack like in melee or not? I thought I could hear it but not for sure.
They do, surprisingly even at low percents.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
It kinda reminds me of how Shy Guy sounds in Mario Kart 8. Is that just me?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I remember the time I saw Greninja through a leak pic around when X Y wasn't released and I kept on saying how I didn't like the design. Then came Poke-Amie and he looked so cute in that at times.

I think SSB made me like him even more, dat voice is so funny now after thinking it's all for a facade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom