• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Ok seriously it resembles Shiek,Lucario and Marth as the top 3.
Ninja,Chargable projectile pokemon,quick and fluid,sword moves.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Need to recheck, but I'm pretty sure Squirtle's recovery was Surf.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I just hope people don't say he's a Shiek clone just because he's a ninja (ala Wolf to Fox or Lucas to Ness)

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
Well based on all the characters so far, I think he has the most potential for being top tier
From what we have seen he will certainly not be low tier. High to Top is my guess if I had to commit to something. I mean he has a ranged projectile that seems solid. A counter, a Vanish attack that actually seems usable (unlike Metaknights for the most part), an at least 2 directional triple jump (giving more recovery options), and his normal attacks seem to be long range kicks, or disjointed hitbox water wakizashi. He seems very quick in the air and on the ground. So basically if he has decent KO moves that's all we need! Once it's confirmed he can actually KO at decent percentages, he will be top tier for sure!

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I feel like he's really going to lack killing moves...I mean his projectile is multihit so it won't have much knockback,here's hoping his water sword smash and air attack are good killers,but if these are his only killers he will get pretty predictable.Does he have a meteor smash?Also shadow sneak looks like it has good knockback I just hope it's not too difficult to use being able to move and charge.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I think its double team, night slash, and extreme speed
I don't think that's anything like Double Team, the "clones" seem to be attacking and Double Team creates non-physical clones. The other Greninjas shown are just after-images from moving so fast.

It does seem like Extreme Speed + Night Slash + some water move. But I doubt it will be named like a combination move, it will probably be named like only one of them or something entirely new like Lucario's Aura Storm.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
I'm voting Moonblast or Moonlight for the Final Smash. Because those two fit the most with the "moon and silhouettes" look.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Clearly Greninja has been training with Strider. As for whether or not it's based off of a certain Pokemon move, I don't really know. Maybe it's Aqua Jet or something. Either way it looks cool.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well considering lucario can wall cling who is more of a martial artist, I'm sure greninja the ninja could
This is a little late; but I am certain Greninja can wall-cling. Greninja is essentially the successor to Squirtle, and Squirtle could wall-cling. Greninja is reminiscent of Sheik, who could also wall-cling. It would be very strange if Greninja couldn't.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Just little ninja grunts like Sheik, and little squishy frog sounds when he jumps around.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Probably voiced by Yuji Ueda and Billy Bob Thompson, or whoever voice Greninja in the 17th movie.
I expect him to sound like Mewtwo. Mewtwo just did grunts and the occasional yell when he was sent flying. But if he had a voice it'd probably be low and sound like whispering.
Mewtwo talked during his victory poses in the Japanese version of Melee.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
What about Greninja's general gameplay? He seems like he will be really fast, possibly one of the fastest, and that he also does moderate damage, while being knocked out very easily. He seems like he is going to involve a lot of mind games.

In one of Sakurai's Miiverse posts, he says "Greninja's sophisticated moves are extremely fun to use once you get used to how it controls!". Does this hint that Greninja may have a learning curve? Or maybe his attacks have possible secondary uses or do different things like it may depend on how long you hold the buttons. Maybe his attacks act a bit different than normal.

He also says "Another unique feature is you can move Greninja around freely while charging up". Does that mean that Greninja can move around freely while charging up his Water Shuriken? The way he describes Shadow Sneak, it seems like you don't have to charge it up, just that Greninja goes farther depending on how long you hold the buttons.

Here is a link to the Miiverse post where this is said: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqF39hrz3w

Update: In a bunch of pictures shown, there were a couple dozen featuring Greninja. I don't know exactly where these images came from, but here is a link to a video showing them off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWyqOFUet2U. They seem to show off some new moves, poses, and one in particular that has relevance to this thread at 3:48. What is that? It doesn't seem like a normal air attack. Is this possibly his Up- special or Down- special, but being used in mid-air? It wouldn't be is Neutral-special, as in the Greninja trailer, we can see the Water Shuriken be used in mid-air. It seems to cover Greninja's entire body, almost like a shield.

Do you think that Sakurai is hinting at some features of Greninja, or am I just reading to deep into this? How do you think Greninja controls?

Post if you feel like it. Thanks for reading. :4greninja:

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I presume that he's going to akin to the likes of Captain Falcon and Fox, where Greninja sports a notable amount of weight and speed to his mobility, making movement feel weird for novices. This can be seen in trailers where he sports an above normal falling speed. Then there's the factor of some of his attacks, like for example Shadow Sneak and the learning curves on how to efficiently use it in the right situations.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Shadowsneak I think will operate in a similar way to Balrog's charge punches from street fighter. They work by holding down a button, (Your special button in this case) and then releasing it while still giving the user the ability to move around and use every other button they have besides the one that's being held down. The longer he holds it the more range he'll get upon releasing it. Seems like it's for harassing opponents that wanna play the projectile game against greninja. If this is true, he can still use specials too though, so long as we assign a 2nd special button to our controls.

Overall gameplay though? Shiek, I assume.

He's quick, probably light weight, and will most likely revolve around "harassing" the opponent with pokes like her. His projectile isn't enough to fully camp someone, and will most likely be used for harass, and when fully charged, as a hard punish for whiffing moves. His mobility alone can probably scare the opponent into to attempting to throw out moves in anticipation of where he'll be, which will let him sneak in small hits. His teleport lends a constant threat to anyone that wants to play the projectile game against him too.

What i'm most curious about is how well he KO's though. Would be nice to see the kill power of his smashes and possibly throws too. Doesn't matter how much damage you can wrack up if you can't kill. Peach is a good example of that.

Oh.

Also it's been shown he has a LOOONG ranged throw game. If it comes out quickly, he could have a nice defensive game too. While not EXTREMELY punishing, his f-tilt, and jab look like they come out pretty quickly. Hopefully the same goes for his grab. It doesn't look like he has anything as amazing as shiek's f-tilt when it comes to combo's but hey, havn't seen everything he has yet.

Last edited:

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
I presume that he's going to akin to the likes of Captain Falcon and Fox, where Greninja sports a notable amount of weight and speed to his mobility, making movement feel weird for novices. This can be seen in trailers where he sports an above normal falling speed. Then there's the factor of some of his attacks, like for example Shadow Sneak and the learning curves on how to efficiently use it in the right situations.
Possibly, although it does seem Greninja is faster than Fox. Greninja's jumps seem to be really high as well. While telling if his falling speed is faster than Fox or not, you can't really tell as the only time you see his falling animation, it's a close up. Another thing I noticed about his falling speed, I think there may be two different levels of it. Right after he uses his UpB to get back on the plane, you can see Greninja goes into his falling animation. When he goes into the animation that time, it seems like he is not going as fast as he is falling later on. Also, right after he used his UpB, his falling animation is not the normal way it looks after you use a special. It's just regular Greninja. Does that mean he can jump after using a special?

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
It would be attempting to talk, but because of that slobberific scarf, we basically just hear him like "Mmprh rrm mm" while making gross saliva and tongue motorboat sounds.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Possibly, although it does seem Greninja is faster than Fox. Greninja's jumps seem to be really high as well. While telling if his falling speed is faster than Fox or not, you can't really tell as the only time you see his falling animation, it's a close up. Another thing I noticed about his falling speed, I think there may be two different levels of it. Right after he uses his UpB to get back on the plane, you can see Greninja goes into his falling animation. When he goes into the animation that time, it seems like he is not going as fast as he is falling later on. Also, right after he used his UpB, his falling animation is not the normal way it looks after you use a special. It's just regular Greninja. Does that mean he can jump after using a special?
I would just say his fall and fallspecial animations are the same. His recovery looks too good to allow continued attacks after using it.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
It seems like Greninja can jump pretty high as well. He jumped right to the height of the stick in the Garden of Hope. Is it shown anywhere how high his double jump goes? I couldn't find anything where it does.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not entirely certain; Rosalina looks as though she will probably have the greatest learning curve, as most marionette characters tend to. Greninja honestly looked like an easy character to pick up from the trailer, but looks can be deceiving. I wouldn't mind a character with a challenge. Those are always the most rewarding.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
Shadowsneak I think will operate in a similar way to Balrog's charge punches from street fighter. They work by holding down a button, (Your special button in this case) and then releasing it while still giving the user the ability to move around and use every other button they have besides the one that's being held down. The longer he holds it the more range he'll get upon releasing it. Seems like it's for harassing opponents that wanna play the projectile game against greninja. If this is true, he can still use specials too though, so long as we assign a 2nd special button to our controls.

Overall gameplay though? Shiek, I assume.

He's quick, probably light weight, and will most likely revolve around "harassing" the opponent with pokes like her. His projectile isn't enough to fully camp someone, and will most likely be used for harass, and when fully charged, as a hard punish for whiffing moves. His mobility alone can probably scare the opponent into to attempting to throw out moves in anticipation of where he'll be, which will let him sneak in small hits. His teleport lends a constant threat to anyone that wants to play the projectile game against him too.

What i'm most curious about is how well he KO's though. Would be nice to see the kill power of his smashes and possibly throws too. Doesn't matter how much damage you can wrack up if you can't kill. Peach is a good example of that.

Oh.

Also it's been shown he has a LOOONG ranged throw game. If it comes out quickly, he could have a nice defensive game too. While not EXTREMELY punishing, his f-tilt, and jab look like they come out pretty quickly. Hopefully the same goes for his grab. It doesn't look like he has anything as amazing as shiek's f-tilt when it comes to combo's but hey, havn't seen everything he has yet.
He seems faster than Sheik, and kind of like he hits a bit harder. I don't think his smash attacks are going to be very powerful either and that Shadow Sneak move will be really predictable and can be easily countered if you can't use a high priority attack after using it. The way Sakurai described Shadow sneak, it seems like you just have to hold down the buttons, not charge it up. He seems like he would be good at harassing, but his smash attacks seem to have major downsides if you miss. The animation after he uses his up smash is pretty long. His projectile seems like it does decent damage and like you said, is good fro harassment. The charged shuriken looks like it could be very powerful as a get away move, especially if he is able to move while charging it. That is a pretty long throw, though I'm guessing they don't do that much damage since the grab range is so long.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
I am not entirely certain; Rosalina looks as though she will probably have the greatest learning curve, as most marionette characters tend to. Greninja honestly looked like an easy character to pick up from the trailer, but looks can be deceiving. I wouldn't mind a character with a challenge. Those are always the most rewarding.
It is fun to challenge yourself with a character. Rosalina is DEFINITELY the hardest to master though. Greninja may have a bit of a learning curve, due to his fast speed and what seems like unique specials.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
It seems like Greninja can jump pretty high as well. He jumped right to the height of the stick in the Garden of Hope. Is it shown anywhere how high his double jump goes? I couldn't find anything where it does.
If you look at 1:41 in the video, you see that IS his double-jump.
http://youtu.be/xEJBPMcbRkk?t=1m40s

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Oops, looks like I'm blind. Although it seemed like he didn't use his double jump at the peak of the first jump. It seemed like Greninja could go a bit higher with his first jump.
Maybe. It's hard to tell since we can't see where he started his initial jump. If he's as light as he looks, he'll need a good recovery game.

AquaNinja

Smash Cadet
I would just say his fall and fallspecial animations are the same. His recovery looks too good to allow continued attacks after using it.
It is a good recovery and what I said is pretty unlikely. He is only in the falling animation for a half a second, so maybe it was about to go to the fallspecial animation (or whatever you call it).

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
He seems faster than Sheik, and kind of like he hits a bit harder. I don't think his smash attacks are going to be very powerful either and that Shadow Sneak move will be really predictable and can be easily countered if you can't use a high priority attack after using it. The way Sakurai described Shadow sneak, it seems like you just have to hold down the buttons, not charge it up. He seems like he would be good at harassing, but his smash attacks seem to have major downsides if you miss. The animation after he uses his up smash is pretty long. His projectile seems like it does decent damage and like you said, is good fro harassment. The charged shuriken looks like it could be very powerful as a get away move, especially if he is able to move while charging it. That is a pretty long throw, though I'm guessing they don't do that much damage since the grab range is so long.
Hold down the buttons = Charging it up. That's why I compared it to Balrogs turn punches in Street fighter. They work the same way. Shadow sneak won't be predictable, so long as you don't use it predictably. It will be primarily used as a punish or an escape.

Think of it this way. Lets say you constantly are holding down gren's side-b, whilst moving around and poking with Water Shurikens. Now you're able to poke at them with your projectiles, while simultaneously being able to punish theres with your teleport if they dare throw one. Just having that move will be enough to scare the opponent into throwing anything from a range.

It can also be used as an escape and a recovery too i'm assuming. Also, because his charged shuriken drags the opponent for so long, it looks like it's very possible to teleport into the opponent as they're still being dragged and hit them if you have been charging it up. It will have it's uses.

Also, I wouldn't automatically dismiss his throws as weak merely because of the range. Charizard had the longest non-tether grab in brawl, and his down throw was one of the strongest in the game as far as pure knockback goes. Only surpassed by Squirtle. Although the angle was kinda meh. :V And when it comes to damage, DDD was well known for his above average grab range, but punishing damage.

His u-smash has some hellish recovery time yea. HA! Just so long as you use them as punishes, and not spacing moves. Although, his f-smash looked pretty safe on shield. Wish I could see his down smash.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
It is a good recovery and what I said is pretty unlikely. He is only in the falling animation for a half a second, so maybe it was about to go to the fallspecial animation (or whatever you call it).
Perhaps. His fall animation may look identical to his (what I call) fallspecial (maybe I'll just call it freefall, easier to type ;)). At 1:50, he falls for nearly a full second, without flashing like other characters in freefall.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Hold down the buttons = Charging it up. That's why I compared it to Balrogs turn punches in Street fighter. They work the same way. Shadow sneak won't be predictable, so long as you don't use it predictably. It will be primarily used as a punish or an escape.

Think of it this way. Lets say you constantly our holding down gren's side-b, whilst moving around and poking with Water Shurikens. Now you're able to poke at them with your projectiles, while simultaneously being able to punish theres with your teleport if they dare throw one. As a punish. Not something you just throw out "just because" ya know?

It can also be used as an escape and a recovery i'm assuming. Also, because his charged shuriken drags the opponent for so long, it looks like it's very possible to teleport upon into the opponent as they're still being dragged and hit them if you have been charging it up. It will have it's uses.

Also, I wouldn't automatically dismiss his throws as weak merely because of the range. Charizard had the longest non-tether grab in brawl, and his down throw was one of the strongest in the game as far as pure knockback goes. Only surpassed by Squirtle. And when it comes to damage, DDD was well known for his above average grab range, but punishing damage.

His u-smash has some hellish recovery time yea. HA! Just so long as you use them as punishes, and not spacing moves. Although, his f-smash looked pretty safe. Wish I could see his down smash.
How would you charge one special while using another special, seeing as all specials are mapped to the one special button?
This move sounds like a better version MetaKnight's Dimension Cape. Hold down the button while "sneaking" and release to attack. The longer the charge, the strong the attack (i.e., increasing risk and reward, as is the case with most powerful attacks in fighting games.)

EDIT: And this would support your statement that it would be used as a punish. You read or predict the opponent's move, and use the period of invisibility/invincibility to close the distance and strike, like a NINJA!

Man, I can't wait to play as this guy...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom