• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja General Discussion Thread - The Coolest Pokémon Ever Is Now Confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'm disappointed that Charizard was right there showing itself off and Greninja just completely steals the spotlight from him. The last move he used in the Direct video had to be his final smash. Anybody know what the heck it was?
Given the moon and the slashing, I would guess it's Night Slash, a dark type move.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I did not think about the backround having anything to do with it. Night Slash seems reasonable. That would be cool if they implemented the Protean ability in the game too. I don't want it to affect the damage he takes from moves, but I want to see some color change at least.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Holy crap, he actually made it in! I always thought Greninja would make an interesting character, but never thought he would make it past Pokéball status. This is good news indeed. I am rather excited to try this character out.

andimidna

Smash Master
Cool, Greninja. :D
Did not see this coming
You predicted a surprise.
But you predicted the wrong surprise ;)
Still, you got that much
-----------------
Despite never coming to this thread before, I'm ecstatic that Greninja made it.
Even though he's like... my 17th favorite Pokemon...
(I liek Psychic types)
If I had come here I would have supported.
Great trailer, great potential moveset,
We have yet to see a disappointing newcomer!
I'll be honest, if I had the choice of anybody from X/Y I'd have added Xerneas, and if it had to be a starter evolved, Delphox.
But Greninja = HYPE

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I think of gen VI Greninja made the most sense ... I just didn't think we'd actually have a playable gen VI pokemon given it came out after the characters had been decided on.

andimidna

Smash Master
I think of gen VI Greninja made the most sense ... I just didn't think we'd actually have a playable gen VI pokemon given it came out after the characters had been decided on.
Recent games are affecting this game much more than they did in Brawl's time for some reason...
Like how we only got a Sunshine stage then...
And we already have Prism Tower and Greninja now.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I thought he was Mewtwo at first, pleasant surprise.

quote="Glaciacott, post: 16587069, member: 222676"]I think of gen VI Greninja made the most sense ... I just didn't think we'd actually have a playable gen VI pokemon given it came out after the characters had been decided on.[/quote]

Sylveon and Hawlucha seemed reasonable.

Last edited:

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. They're making all the Pokemon that are given (mandatorily) to the player in Pokemon XY playable, aside from the exclusive legendaries.

In the game you are given both a Kalos starter (the most popular of which is Froakie/Greninja) and a Kanto starter (the most popular of which is Charmander/Charizard) along with it's Mega stone. Later in the game in another important plot point, you are given a Lucario, also with its Mega stone. Greninja, Mega Charizard, and Mega Lucario are all playable.

This is also good news for Mewtwo, who you also get post-game along with his Mega Stone, although you have to catch him instead of being given to you like the others. You can also trade for a Ralts/Gardevoir + mega stone as well, though it's not really a main event of the game.

Also, wouldn't it be funny if "Kalos Pokemon Trainer" turned out to be a character, and Charizard, Greninja, and Lucario were just his/her Pokemon all along? Lol.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Also, wouldn't it be funny if "Kalos Pokemon Trainer" turned out to be a character, and Charizard, Greninja, and Lucario were just his/her Pokemon all along? Lol.
Man. My hype would die so hard! Today's been such a great day for announcements too (Except for poor Ridley...)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So... am I the only one who got a "Strider Hiryu" vibe after seing Greninja?
Does that mean he'll get Ouroboros and Vajra?

So Smash went full on Jojo with Rosalina, then Tekken with Lil Mac, and now it's Mahvel? God damn.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I must've rewatched the trailer as many times as Mac's. I still can hardly even believe it ACTUALLY happened.

So. Much. Hype!!

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
You know when one of my friends asked who's Greninja, I first stared in confusion, but then I responded by saying that it's only the coolest gen 5/6 pokemon.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
This is the type of character Ive always wanted in smash, but I never knew who would fill the role. Greninja 'looks' like he does it perfectly. Ive always wanted A super quick, a little more on the technical side, good aerials, has a charge projectile, has some kind of warping/substitution move, and (probably) can wall jump... (I thought i would have to use sheik to fill this role, but gladly i dont.) I'll definitely be using him, Kirby, and whoever else's playstyle I end up liking.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
he may not be my first choice for a gen 6 pokemon but hes still one of the coolest and looks to be a great fighter

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Instant main. I still have hopes for my old pal, Mewtwo, but even he won't dissuade me from playing the Mizukage.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pretty glad about Greninja :)
He was always on my radar for my fave pokemon. And he's a Ninja! I love fighting as ninja :D

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You know, I just realized something.
Substitute is prominent in one of Greninja's attacks.
Sakurai uses a Substitute plush in the Direct.

Coincidence?

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
I think Greninja will be Little Mac's worst Nightmare

From what i've seen Greninja has a big focus on Air Combat which is the oppisite for Little Mac. Plus Greninja has a Teleport and Substitute making it difficult for Little Mac to get some combos. Greninja is the opposite of LM from what i've seen..Meh Ground Game, Great Air Game, Fantastic Recovery

JDE

Smash Rookie
Yo! New to the forums. I'm JDE, some of you may have heard of me from other communities like DOA (I main Kasumi in that). I play offline & look to do the same with the upcoming Smash game! Greninja, Fox & Charizard are who I'm looking to take under my wing & start in my lineup. By the looks of things & based off of my hype level right now, Greninja will lead off the pack. I'm a big fan of ninjas & this Pokemon. Glad that he's a playable character. Nice to meet everyone!

Last edited:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Yo! New to the forums. I'm JDE, some of you may have heard of me from other communities like DOA (I main Kasumi in that). I play offline & look to do the same with the upcoming Smash game! Greninja, Fox & Charizard are who I'm looking to take under my wing & start in my lineup. By the looks of things & based off of my hype level right now, Greninja will lead off the pack. I'm a big fan of ninjas & this Pokemon. Glad that he's a playable character. Nice to meet everyone!
Hi Newcomer..it's great to meet ya. Greninja reminds me a lot of Strider

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i was really hoping for mewtwo and any other pokemon should have been cut. except for greninja. he was literally the only pokemon i'd be willing to accept in mewtwos place. i now accept mewtwos deconfirmation (we all know its mewtwos tail hes using as a scarf). idk if this thread is full of greninja mains or just greninja hype but chances are looking good for greninja as a main x3
greninja, the bows, and still waiting on k rool. the king of my childhood. kremlings ;u;

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Greninja is a good fit. And I can see why they'd remove Squirtle because of he/she being added. It's too bad, cuz I liked Squirtle, but I'm really looking forward to playing with it :D
Wii fit trainer could be amusing too.. we'll have to see ;p

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
WOW!!! Greninja. Cool! While it does unfortunately look as though he will replace Mewtwo, he looks like he almost makes up for it. I don't know if one of these has been posted before, but here's an analysis of is move-set I came up with:
Neutral Special-Water Shuriken (Most Likely) . Appears to function similar to Aura Sphere. One of the reasons he would replace Mewtwo.
Side Special-Extra-Sensory (?). Appears to function like Pikachu's Quick Attack. Likely a phenomenal recovery move. May have the "wall-grab" ability of Lucario's, considering his nature.
Up Special-Smoke Screen (?). Appears to function like Mewtwo's teleport, but with damage at least at the end, possibly the start. One of the reasons he would replace Mewtwo.
Down Special-Substitute (Most Likely). Appears to function like Double Team. Less Risky. Looks like the attacking it triggers a seemingly unavoidable attack, either a default move or you can attack out of it, like Teleport in Project M. May deal some damage to Greninja to seemingly unavoidable nature if you take the bait.
Final Smash-Night Slash (?)-Appears to function like Ike's. Very cool.
Physics In General-Apparently astounding jump height, very quick attacks, and probably at least one good finisher, namely the one with the Aqua-Knives. Seemingly heavy emphasis on combos, namely aerial ones. Most likely astonishing recovery ability. Most likely one of the fastest characters in the game, ranging somewhere from 4th-2nd. Likely a middle-weight character. Very low crouch. Probably normal standing height. Most likely can crouch and wall cling, judging from the nature of him.

He's my new main, assuming Mewtwo doesn't come back. New favorite smash character (second if you count Mewtwo). Also, I think we've found our new Meta-Knight.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think Greninja will be Little Mac's worst Nightmare

From what i've seen Greninja has a big focus on Air Combat which is the oppisite for Little Mac. Plus Greninja has a Teleport and Substitute making it difficult for Little Mac to get some combos. Greninja is the opposite of LM from what i've seen..Meh Ground Game, Great Air Game, Fantastic Recovery
If anything, Lil Mac has an advantage. Greninja being air prominent means nothing when Lil Mac has such a huge ground game and can cover so much space that Greninja can't even come close. Greninja has to be careful in the air as well because Mac has solid anti airs. Considering the fact Mac is ridiculously mobile on the ground Greninja has to be very careful when he plays keepaway which is the only thing that would work against Mac on the ground.

Mac's worst nightmare would be a character that could play defensively or zone effectively. Someone like Wario, Snake and Olimar could be trouble. If Smash had more proper grappler in the vein of Zangief they'd be trouble too but alas I don't imagine DK (the closest thing to a Smash grappler) would have a lot of options. But enough theory fighters.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The more I think about it, the more I like it... while I still dislike the design, I won't deny that Greninja looks like he would be very unique in Smash with water-based ninja moves... and I really like the Substitute plush doll... it is so cute and the felt looks real!

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
I support him :) His final smash was shown at like the very end of the trailer. All I can say is woah!

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I'll say this: I chose Froakie for my Pokemon, along with Charizard, but I can't really get into Pokemon. I wasn't allowed to play it as a child (and I swear if my mom saw me playing as Pikachu in SSB64 she took it away for a week) and now I don't appreciate it 'growing up with it' as much as anyone.

I do however, love the character and I think he's definitely the coolest of the starters, that's for sure. Never expected Froakie to turn into this.

He looks like a fast, technical character, which I love, so I will be maining him.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
If anything, Lil Mac has an advantage. Greninja being air prominent means nothing when Lil Mac has such a huge ground game and can cover so much space that Greninja can't even come close. Greninja has to be careful in the air as well because Mac has solid anti airs. Considering the fact Mac is ridiculously mobile on the ground Greninja has to be very careful when he plays keepaway which is the only thing that would work against Mac on the ground.

Mac's worst nightmare would be a character that could play defensively or zone effectively. Someone like Wario, Snake and Olimar could be trouble. If Smash had more proper grappler in the vein of Zangief they'd be trouble too but alas I don't imagine DK (the closest thing to a Smash grappler) would have a lot of options. But enough theory fighters.
DDD even without his Chaingrab.

Anyways, on the subject of Greninja, he was honestly the last one I'd expect to make it in, mostly because of how "recent" Gen VI is. However, seeing his playstyle and having Froakie as a starter (female, mind you.), I personally welcome Greninja with open arms. Now we just need M2 and Jiggs and we're good(sorry Squirtle and Ivy fans).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom