• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja General Discussion Thread - The Coolest Pokémon Ever Is Now Confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936

Formerly a Greninja support thread, this has been turned into a Greninja general discussion thread. You can discuss anything Greninja-related here, such as Greninja's awesomeness, Greninja's coolness and how badass Greninja is. (And of course, that thing people call a moveset too).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That Down B sounds so OP...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That is just what it does in X and Y.
Yeah.

But it's still not suited for smash. If it protects him from almost everything than why would you play as any other character.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Yeah.

But it's still not suited for smash. If it protects him from almost everything than why would you play as any other character.
It is not OP. It only protects Greninja from the front and there is starting lag as the animation involves it picking the mat from the ground. Maybe I should write that in the moveset.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It is not OP. It only protects Greninja from the front and there is starting lag as the animation involves it picking the mat from the ground. Maybe I should write that in the moveset.
Definitely should.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Being a playable really isn't how I've envisioned Greninja to work out. Maybe as a Poke Ball Pokemon who constantly strikes opponents with Water Shuriken.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't see it as Greninja if it's a Kalos trainer.

While I'm certain that Braxien would be the middle evolution, I can't be as certain for the 1st and 3rd stages. I think that Chesnaught would work better than Chespin (Though I don't see either really being that amazing), which would leave Froakie. Which I can believe. But then you've got water as the base stage again. So I don't know. I'd say put me on supporters, as long as it doesn't replace Red. I still need my Ivysaur.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I support Greninja 100%, whether it be as a separate character entirely, or a Pokemon Trainer-type deal.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
You can add me to the list of supporters. He has been on my Dream Roster in a secret way I can't tell anyone about until it's finished.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
The title should have been

USE WATER SHRUNKEN! Greninja support thread.

But I digress, add me to the support list!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
OH YES PLEASE

Wanted Froakie from the start, and it's final evolution did not disappoint me. On the contrary I loved it. Add me to the support list!

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Its hard to read the OP
Changed the colors.

Definitely should.
Added these details to the moveset.

I don't see it as Greninja if it's a Kalos trainer.

While I'm certain that Braxien would be the middle evolution, I can't be as certain for the 1st and 3rd stages. I think that Chesnaught would work better than Chespin (Though I don't see either really being that amazing), which would leave Froakie. Which I can believe. But then you've got water as the base stage again. So I don't know. I'd say put me on supporters, as long as it doesn't replace Red. I still need my Ivysaur.
Yeah it should not replace Red. I need my Squirtle. I think it should be Fennekin, Quilladin and Greninja.

Is there three spoiler tabs for someone here? Because for me it shows three spoiler tabs. But I don't know if it is something with my computer or everyone sees 3.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Yeah it should not replace Red. I need my Squirtle. I think it should be Fennekin, Quilladin and Greninja.

Is there three spoiler tabs for someone here? Because for me it shows three spoiler tabs. But I don't know if it is something with my computer or everyone sees 3.
I see 3 too.

Also, I'd rather have Chespin, Frogadier, and Delphox, since I hate the Chespin family and want to demote him to basic form (:troll:), Frogadier made me want Froakie instead of Fennekin, until I found out that Delphox was a freakin' Fire/Psychic type like VictinI! But that's just my opinion.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I see 3 too.

Also, I'd rather have Chespin, Frogadier, and Delphox, since I hate the Chespin family and want to demote him to basic form (:troll:), Frogadier made me want Froakie instead of Fennekin, until I found out that Delphox was a freakin' Fire/Psychic type like VictinI! But that's just my opinion.

I would be so upset by this. To me, Braxien is the only halfway decent member of the Fennekin family. I'd much rather have it than Delphox.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
I would be so upset by this. To me, Braxien is the only halfway decent member of the Fennekin family. I'd much rather have it than Delphox.
Well, that's your opinion. I really hate Quilladin, but everyone puts him on their Kalos Trainers.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Well, that's your opinion. I really hate Quilladin, but everyone puts him on their Kalos Trainers.
Which doesn't make sense to me either. Quilladin is the least likely of the Chespin line imo

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Being a playable really isn't how I've envisioned Greninja to work out. Maybe as a Poke Ball Pokemon who constantly strikes opponents with Water Shuriken.
That would be fine too. As long as Greninja has an important role in the game, it is OK. He is a popular Pokémon so he should have some importance.

Also I added an amazing support icon that Zhadgon made to the OP!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Here's a moveset I made for Greninja. I see him as likely candidate as a pokeball pokemon, but other than that his chances are limited. Regardless the idea is cool.

[collapse=Greninja Moveset]

General: Greninja is clearly supposed to be a ninja. So I tried to make a moveset to reflect that: he's quick, has good range and can set traps.

Playstyle:
Greninja would be fast, jump high, have good range and attack quickly. However, most of his attacks would be weak and he'd have a hard time landing KOs in low-mid percentages. Greninja is a glass canon of sorts, so he should be fairly easy to KO.

-- Special Moves:

- Standard Special: Water Shuriken
Greninja's most iconic move.
Greninja would throw a Water Shuriken straight out in front of him. A very quick move, low damage, spammable. In air the move would aimed downward at 45 degree angle.

- Side Special: Thief
Greninja dashes forward quickly doing moderate damage to anyone he hits. If he hits an opponent with an item, Greninja will steal it. If Greninja is already holding an item, the item will be knocked out of the opponent's hand.

- Up Special: Shadow Sneak
Greninja becomes darkness moving in any eight of the cardinal directions. Greninja will reemerge from the shadows still able to use aerial attacks. If anyone is close enough to Greninja while traveling in shadow form they will be struck by a multihit barrage of darkness.

- Down Special: Spikes/Toxic Spikes
Greninja drops spikes on the ground in front of himself. There is a small chance that they will be toxic spikes. Spikes will do damage over time, quickly racking up 1% at a time. Toxic Spikes are more dangerous: in addition to doing damage over time to an opponent standing on them they also poison the opponent. Which would have an effect similar to the Lip Stick.
Greninja can have 3-4 sets of spikes out at once. They scatter if repeatedly stepped on. Greninja is unaffected by spikes/toxic spikes.

-- Final Smash: Protean
Protean is Greninja's hidden ability, it changes his type to that of the attack he uses. This ability makes Greninja an incredibly powerful Pokemon.
Greninja's attack power will increase, and a lot of his move will gain secondary effects:
All dark/ghost moves will gain the ability to curse the opponent, dealing them damage over time and slowing them down.
Ice moves will gain an increased chance to freeze the opponent.
Scald will burn the opponent, doing damage over time and decreasing their attack strength.
Other water moves will drench the opponent and make it more likely (or make it likely) they will trip.

-- Smashes:

- Side Smash: Scald
Greninja spits out boiling water in a similar fashion to Squirtle's Water Gun. The range is reduced and the move actually does damage. This move has fire effects.

- Down Smash: Grass Knot
Greninja lays a trap for his opponent, similar to Snake's down smash.
If an opponent walks over it they will be tripped, doing moderate damage but no knockback.

- Up Smash: Smack Down
A projectile Up Smash? Yes.
Greninja throws a rock upward at 45 degree angle. This may sound a bit lame, but it would have a lot of uses.

-- Basic Moves:

- Combo: Pound/Lick
Greninja slams downward with his fist then follow up with a mid-range lick barrage.

- Side Tilt: Bubble
Similar to Squirlte's Project M Bubble, but will move forward and not cause tripping.

- Down Tilt: Mat Block
It won't work as a protective move, however.
Greninja pulls the mat out from under the opponents feet, knocking them over and doing a little damage in the process.

- Up Tilt: Night Slash
Greninja slashes above himself with his tongue imbued with dark aura. Has pretty good range.

- Dash Attack: U-Turn
Greninja does a quick jump forward, striking quickly then jumps back.

-- Aerial Moves:

- Neutral Aerial: Aerial Ace
Greninja performs an extremely quick spinning tongue slash.

- Forward Aerial: Water Pulse
Greninja unleashes 3 pulses of water, good range but poor damage.

- Backward Aerial: Cut
Greninja slashes behind himself quickly with his tongue.

- Upward Aerial: Blizzard
Greninja releases an icy wind upward. Ice effects.

- Downward Aerial: Dark Pulse
Greninja emits a burst dark energy downward, multihit, weak. Not a true meteor smash.

-- Grabs/Throws:
Greninja quickly grabs with his tongue (like how frogs grab flies) bringing his opponent wrapped in his tongue in close.

- Pummel: Constrict (Greninja doesn't learn this, but it isn't much of a stretch for him to have it.)
Greninja will tighten his hold on his opponent with his tongue.

- Forward Throw: Ice Beam
Greninja throws the opponent forward and launches an Ice Beam after them. Has ice effects.

- Backward Throw: Extrasensory
The opponent is psychically thrown behind Greninja.

- Up Throw: Bounce
Greninja bounces into the air and slams his opponent into the ground, Greninja comes down hard on them sending them flying upward.

- Down Throw: Dig
Greninja grabs his opponent and burrows underground. The opponent is struck a number of times underground before reemerging with Greninja.

Other:

Entrance: Substitute
Greninja will emerge from a pokedoll already sitting on stage.

Taunt 1: Smokescreen
Greninja creates a smokescreen that dissipates quickly.

Taunt 2: Camouflage
Greninja will change colors several times and then disappear completely before returning to normal color.

Taunt 3: Double Team
Greninja takes his usual attack pose and briefly create two doubles.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Here's a moveset I made for Greninja. I see him as likely candidate as a pokeball pokemon, but other than that his chances are limited. Regardless the idea is cool.

[collapse=Greninja Moveset]

General: Greninja is clearly supposed to be a ninja. So I tried to make a moveset to reflect that: he's quick, has good range and can set traps.

Playstyle:
Greninja would be fast, jump high, have good range and attack quickly. However, most of his attacks would be weak and he'd have a hard time landing KOs in low-mid percentages. Greninja is a glass canon of sorts, so he should be fairly easy to KO.

-- Special Moves:

- Standard Special: Water Shuriken
Greninja's most iconic move.
Greninja would throw a Water Shuriken straight out in front of him. A very quick move, low damage, spammable. In air the move would aimed downward at 45 degree angle.

- Side Special: Thief
Greninja dashes forward quickly doing moderate damage to anyone he hits. If he hits an opponent with an item, Greninja will steal it. If Greninja is already holding an item, the item will be knocked out of the opponent's hand.

- Up Special: Shadow Sneak
Greninja becomes darkness moving in any eight of the cardinal directions. Greninja will reemerge from the shadows still able to use aerial attacks. If anyone is close enough to Greninja while traveling in shadow form they will be struck by a multihit barrage of darkness.

- Down Special: Spikes/Toxic Spikes
Greninja drops spikes on the ground in front of himself. There is a small chance that they will be toxic spikes. Spikes will do damage over time, quickly racking up 1% at a time. Toxic Spikes are more dangerous: in addition to doing damage over time to an opponent standing on them they also poison the opponent. Which would have an effect similar to the Lip Stick.
Greninja can have 3-4 sets of spikes out at once. They scatter if repeatedly stepped on. Greninja is unaffected by spikes/toxic spikes.

-- Final Smash: Protean
Protean is Greninja's hidden ability, it changes his type to that of the attack he uses. This ability makes Greninja an incredibly powerful Pokemon.
Greninja's attack power will increase, and a lot of his move will gain secondary effects:
All dark/ghost moves will gain the ability to curse the opponent, dealing them damage over time and slowing them down.
Ice moves will gain an increased chance to freeze the opponent.
Scald will burn the opponent, doing damage over time and decreasing their attack strength.
Other water moves will drench the opponent and make it more likely (or make it likely) they will trip.

-- Smashes:

- Side Smash: Scald
Greninja spits out boiling water in a similar fashion to Squirtle's Water Gun. The range is reduced and the move actually does damage. This move has fire effects.

- Down Smash: Grass Knot
Greninja lays a trap for his opponent, similar to Snake's down smash.
If an opponent walks over it they will be tripped, doing moderate damage but no knockback.

- Up Smash: Smack Down
A projectile Up Smash? Yes.
Greninja throws a rock upward at 45 degree angle. This may sound a bit lame, but it would have a lot of uses.

-- Basic Moves:

- Combo: Pound/Lick
Greninja slams downward with his fist then follow up with a mid-range lick barrage.

- Side Tilt: Bubble
Similar to Squirlte's Project M Bubble, but will move forward and not cause tripping.

- Down Tilt: Mat Block
It won't work as a protective move, however.
Greninja pulls the mat out from under the opponents feet, knocking them over and doing a little damage in the process.

- Up Tilt: Night Slash
Greninja slashes above himself with his tongue imbued with dark aura. Has pretty good range.

- Dash Attack: U-Turn
Greninja does a quick jump forward, striking quickly then jumps back.

-- Aerial Moves:

- Neutral Aerial: Aerial Ace
Greninja performs an extremely quick spinning tongue slash.

- Forward Aerial: Water Pulse
Greninja unleashes 3 pulses of water, good range but poor damage.

- Backward Aerial: Cut
Greninja slashes behind himself quickly with his tongue.

- Upward Aerial: Blizzard
Greninja releases an icy wind upward. Ice effects.

- Downward Aerial: Dark Pulse
Greninja emits a burst dark energy downward, multihit, weak. Not a true meteor smash.

-- Grabs/Throws:
Greninja quickly grabs with his tongue (like how frogs grab flies) bringing his opponent wrapped in his tongue in close.

- Pummel: Constrict (Greninja doesn't learn this, but it isn't much of a stretch for him to have it.)
Greninja will tighten his hold on his opponent with his tongue.

- Forward Throw: Ice Beam
Greninja throws the opponent forward and launches an Ice Beam after them. Has ice effects.

- Backward Throw: Extrasensory
The opponent is psychically thrown behind Greninja.

- Up Throw: Bounce
Greninja bounces into the air and slams his opponent into the ground, Greninja comes down hard on them sending them flying upward.

- Down Throw: Dig
Greninja grabs his opponent and burrows underground. The opponent is struck a number of times underground before reemerging with Greninja.

Other:

Entrance: Substitute
Greninja will emerge from a pokedoll already sitting on stage.

Taunt 1: Smokescreen
Greninja creates a smokescreen that dissipates quickly.

Taunt 2: Camouflage
Greninja will change colors several times and then disappear completely before returning to normal color.

Taunt 3: Double Team
Greninja takes his usual attack pose and briefly create two doubles.

Down B should be Mat Block

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
Greninja?...well, he could appear as a playable character as long as we get a 6th generation Pokémon Trainer (his chance to appear as a stand-alone Pokémon are null)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think to make Greninja super unique, try to make a moveset with its Hidden Ability in mind, Protean. With this, Greninja can do far more than Water and Dark attacks. Perhaps a quick Ice attack, or laying spikes, or even a grass knot.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I think to make Greninja super unique, try to make a moveset with its Hidden Ability in mind, Protean. With this, Greninja can do far more than Water and Dark attacks. Perhaps a quick Ice attack, or laying spikes, or even a grass knot.
Did you look at my moveset?

slambros

Smash Ace
I support this! Can you add me to the supporters list?

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Support! My favorite starter and savior in X, I would love this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom