• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

idea

Smash Master
okay then i'm gonna assume you're just trolling me again

anime north was fun, next time i gotta have money so i can buy things

edit: i did get a pretty nifty FLCL t-shirt though.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
WHY DID HE TAKE FALCO TO FD =/

Because it's his favourite level and he has a 0-death combo tree from grab on Falco that he used to JV 4-stock him with during the WFs set. It's a pretty good choice. It's not like Marth has a good platform game to maneuver lasers anyway and M2K's powershields were pretty on point. I think it was a good pick tbh.

imo he shoulda gone to fod with sheik like in the last set

I think FD was the better pick. He just got outplayed. I don't think he would have done any better on FoD with how PP was playing. And with the chokesies by M2K.

edit: i gotta learn how to dair shine marth like that, i didn't know you could time it like that

Eggm used to be sort of famous for doing his dair shines on Marths like that back in 2007. I think the repeated version went out style because that combo only really works on FD (platforms ruin it entirely) and up tilt is easier to do most of the time (and leads to similarly awesome things without all the effort - I'm also pretty sure M2K botched DI on a few of those). It's situationally awesome, though, certainly.
Responses in bold.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
AN was pretty good this year.

on the smash side, there was a single set up with little competition for, no memory but luckily i brought a card. on a crt too. anthony and his friend (which i don't want to misspell) were there among others.
that was me!

ggs guys had fun, wished I played more though

idea

Smash Master
o rly? i didn't see wfs. and, yeah, i just thought lasers and stuff would outdo grab combos and such, especially so far into a tense set...and that sheik would be better than marth and since he had the counterpick he could pick the sheik stage and he had one he 2-stocked him on 20 minutes earlier...

meh, i see your side and i see mine. maybe earlier into the set or with a smaller crowd, i'd fully instead of only partially agree with you.

Izek

Smash Cadet
so pp vs m2k in winners.on dreamland game 3. is that a perfect example of perfect tech chase?

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
I found hot cosplayers but there weren't that many this year I feel.... you gotta post some examples and cite your references jack!!

APA style.
lmfao i always left citing til last cuz in my mind it took no time then i'd spend from like 2am til 4am doing stupid citations ugh

not gonna lie tho i didn't really keep an eye on girls this year LOL already had some with me ;) but i saw my share fair :)

that was me!

ggs guys had fun, wished I played more though
yeah, for some reason 'cyan' couldn't come to my mind and i didn't want to horribly misspell it. you got a lot more technical though holy crap. but you have small details in your game you would work on imo. i didn't really log it too well in my memory cuz i was going 2 hrs of sleep + driving :( sorry!

unknown522

Some guy
Responses in bold.
Lol, Kyle, I was talking about the stage, not trolling.

FD is so broken for marth vs spacies. Sadly m2k failed every combo and edgeguard possible in that match so he lost. Watch the winners semis set and see how m2k almost 4-stocked him when he was combining decently.

On top of that, m2k failed like every PS attempt as well but that doesn't really matter as much. Just kinda adds to his failing

This

:phone:

MisaMeka

Smash Apprentice
lol, i won the smash tourney and there was no prize. it was me vs. windrose in WF and GF.

windrose and matt: my phone is dead, can't call you to meet up anywhere, can't turn it on long enough to check your numbers and i don't have my charger =/

stefan: my phone is dead, that's what i never met up with you, i still don't know what hotel you're in lol...hope you didn't wait for me before wandering around or anything. i tried to call/text you on the number on your facebook but no response.
lol I faced you in WF, but honestly it should've been Windrose by how it went. Anyway, I told you I'll TRY and get Melee a prize and don't expect anything lol. Turns out I did get a prize, and I'll give it to you at the A&C tournament. Anyway, results of the tournament were:

1st - Idea
2nd - Windrose
3rd - me
4th - Anth0ny
5th - wasn't official but should be Tinman and Cyan

GGs, thank god you guys came out. Playing some Melee was the relief of the weekend lol, it was nice being able to play not-scrubs this year. It was so sad how I was playing. Woke up at 6 am just to go play Melee by myself on a setup w/o a memory card, just to have some scrub ask to play Brawl at 7.. it was so depressing/boring that after playing the game I had to shut it down 3 matches later and sleep lol.

Anyway, Windrose I am interested in taking that spot for the A&C tournament. Save it for me and I'll semi-actively keep you updated on my status.

idea

Smash Master
oh okay, thanks adnan :D

that car spot was for a tourney in montreal this weekend though

ryan: okay. didn't know it was that bad for falco too. hmm...so when marth fthrows falco for a while before upthrowing him, can falco not buffer roll out of that? or shine or something

JPOBS

Smash Hero
m2k played like poop in the last game on FD.

dropped combo's, choking easy edgeguards, and cop out fsmashes

then he gets lolcombo'd twice in a row and pretty much gave up mentally. He outplyed PP for most of the set then just fell apart as he is wont to do

Bing

Smash Master
I dont know... Wobbles and Fly have some mighty big shoes to fill... I'd say he could be tied with Fly... but I think wobbles is above the other two for sure.

Still I agree Chu played great, his spacing was on point, He should have beaten M2K to be honest, he just dropped too many combos at key times.

In regards to M2K in GF. He got **** on that last game on FD. PP made him look well... bad..

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I dont know... Wobbles and Fly have some mighty big shoes to fill... I'd say he could be tied with Fly... but I think wobbles is above the other two for sure.

Still I agree Chu played great, his spacing was on point, He should have beaten M2K to be honest, he just dropped too many combos at key times.

In regards to M2K in GF. He got **** on that last game on FD. PP made him look well... bad..
M2K's lack of committing to anything, him dropping combos and easy edgeguards, while choking super hard didn't help him either.

PeePee made him look bad? Did you see that JV 4 stock? It was glorious.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It is possible that the guy with the numerous highlight clips displaying his grab combo prowess and a grab combo named after him is renowned for his competence with grab combos.

I'm not sure Fly has an explicitly better neutral game. I think evaluating their neutral games against one another is hard because they play as differently as one possibly can with their character. It would be like comparing Mango and Jman.

In regards to placing Chu above them, it's also worth noting that M2K has lost his last sets to Fly and Wobbles whereas he beat Chu. Barely, perhaps, but a win's a win. I understand there were weird circumstances at APEX 2012 and his set vs Wobbles at Genesis 2 was pools, though (and pools matches are sometimes played in a funny way if you know you're gonna make it out anyway).

I think Chu excels against certain kinds of players in general. I don't think he's better than Fly or Wobbles, but he played well that day, got a bit of a buff from HBox agreeing to go back to FD (or was DSR off? Whatever), and I think he's generally good against people that play patiently. I think years of being camped by Marth fairs and crap as ICs has taught him a lot about how to time & space movement and attacks around people's defenses (and minimize risk while doing so), which is basically godsend against some of the players he had to play that day. Jman killing himself also helped (although he might have won that one anyway). I don't think he had to play Hax either (who I think would have trounced him).

I find the old school pros (with a few exceptions) tend to be kind of meh against Falco and Falcon.

idea

Smash Master
It is possible that the guy with the numerous highlight clips displaying his grab combo prowess and a grab combo named after him is renowned for his competence with grab combos.
lol do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

yeah i've noticed that too, old school players are good at certain basic things and have a strong understanding of the mental side of the game, but by and large they can't keep up with 2012 fastfallers.

although you don't seem to be including fox there which is interesting. maybe there have just been sooo many fox mains historically that their experience holds up for them there too? or maybe it comes down to the fox's playstyle...

TinyB

Smash Rookie
As you guys know I'm new and am a scrub at the game I've decided to main peach... Idk why I just like her mechanics... Any pointers on wtf I should do?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
m2ks jv 4 on pp was more impressive than pp's win on fd. man im so disappointed at how bad m2k played that game lol. I thought for sure the king had returned when i saw game 5 on fd.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
I think you're supposed to half-shield with Popo so Nana gets the light shield? I could be wrong though, but I remember hearing that.

As you guys know I'm new and am a scrub at the game I've decided to main peach... Idk why I just like her mechanics... Any pointers on wtf I should do?

Don't use Daisy.

Top Bottom