• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
edis eth no kcuststi dna dsdrater yerv gineb rosruc ym ;sdrawkacbg ntiirw utoab yrrso ,wtb .dias I tahw reidsnco ll'uoy epoh I sselehteonn but ,dellecnac eneb dah ti em dlot eno on ko :tide

To whom it may concern,

I don't care enough about my ranking that I'd pay for it. Housing cost, sure, that's no problem if it's gonna get us a place to play, but to enter a smashfest? Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose? Is this going to turn into some sort of small-scale plutocracy? I don't think so, and if it does I'm not going to be part of it.

People have been saying they want a tournament. A tournament can be run without having to pay. Neither I nor JeffMan are willing to pay strictly to defend how we place for a video game. We just don't care that much and have more pressing matters in our lives. Don't get me wrong with this, I respect your effort and your choices, but I find this one a bit too much. I suspect we're not the only ones who don't want to pay for a ranking battle in someone's basement with 2 TVs. All that will do is make it harder to play; we'll be sitting there for hours at a time without anything to do. Does that really sound like fun to you?

A tournament is different; There is always a place to play. I'm going to make sure that there will be some TVs for friendlies at all times on the 9th, because sitting around without anything to do just sucks. I'm not worried about losing money to better players; if I was I wouldn't be spending 50 dollars to enter my own tournament.

Now, before I say this I want to make it very clear that it's what paying to be part of a community represents that's getting to me and ultimately will cause a drop in enthusiasm in the community, which would be a shame considering how far we've come. I care a lot about this community, andI'm dedicating as much time as I can to helping strengthen it, so I hope you can take what I'm saying into consideration.

With all due respect,

Graeme R.

D

Deleted member

Alright, I've had enough.

To whom it may concern,

I don't care enough about my ranking that I'd pay for it. Housing cost, sure, that's no problem if it's gonna get us a place to play, but to enter a smashfest? Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose? Is this going to turn into some sort of small-scale plutocracy? I don't think so, and if it does I'm not going to be part of it.

People have been saying they want a tournament. A tournament can be run without having to pay. Neither I nor JeffMan are willing to pay strictly to defend how we place for a video game. We just don't care that much and have more pressing matters in our lives. Don't get me wrong with this, I respect your effort and your choices, but I find this one a bit too much. I suspect we're not the only ones who don't want to pay for a ranking battle in someone's basement with 2 TVs. All that will do is make it harder to play; we'll be sitting there for hours at a time without anything to do. Does that really sound like fun to you?

A tournament is different; There is always a place to play. I'm going to make sure that there will be some TVs for friendlies at all times on the 9th, because sitting around without anything to do just sucks. I'm not worried about losing money to better players; if I was I wouldn't be spending 50 dollars to enter my own tournament.

Now, before I say this I want to make it very clear that it's what paying to be part of a community represents that's getting to me and ultimately will cause a drop in enthusiasm in the community, which would be a shame considering how far we've come. I care a lot about this community, andI'm dedicating as much time as I can to helping strengthen it, so I hope you can take what I'm saying into consideration.

With all due respect,

Graeme R.
Grmo my man you rock hardcore, I agree completely.
BTW, seeing as how it's your tournament, you needn't spend 50 dollars to enter it. It's not going to be large-scale, so nobody will mind if you don't pay. You put in your hard work and effort to manage and maintain a tournament, laden with responsibilities, so yeah. No one cares if you get in for free. If Smashbound is hosting it, then Jeffman should surely enter without paying as well.

I'm a little unsure about one thing though, sometimes you need to set a price for a smashfest because we did a few before and required a 5 dollar entrance fee to cover the price of the room at the CC. That's not bad, is it? Was a little unclear, I think I'm being stupid though.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
edis eth no kcuststi dna dsdrater yerv gineb rosruc ym ;sdrawkacbg ntiirw utoab yrrso ,wtb .dias I tahw reidsnco ll'uoy epoh I sselehteonn but ,dellecnac eneb dah ti em dlot eno on ko :tide

To whom it may concern,
Its not about paying for your ranking, its about giving you one more reason to win. Five dollars is nothing compared to real tourny fees, and it makes everyone play a little harder cause there's something more on the line, thus causing the ranking to be more accurate, as it shows how people rank with a little more pressure on them. It gives a greater sense of victory to the player that crawls his way through the loser's bracket and gets top 3.

Friendlies are fun, sure. But having things more organized with more of a reason to play, is more fun IMO. And I dont think it can do anything but good for the community, friendlies dont help people's game grow as much as tournies, even though this is just a smashfest, with a tourny included.

D

Deleted member

Friendlies are fun, sure. But having things more organized with more of a reason to play, is more fun IMO. And I dont think it can do anything but good for the community, friendlies dont help people's game grow as much as tournies, even though this is just a smashfest, with a tourny included.
It's not a smashfest though, since there's only 2 tvs, and there are to be no friendlies happening. That's unfun and not what the community should be about. I think that's what he's trying to say.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
it shows how people rank with a little more pressure on them.

I just got 4 stocked:dizzy:

You're right about how it shows peoples playing more accurately, which is more important for a ranking battle. I was just worried that it would be like this in future too.

EDIT: Jake, sorry about MSN, it just messed up

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman
aaaall right i dont use smashboards often, and by not often i mean almost never. But I'm Matt, a good friend of Adnan's(Tyrantwolf) and the said smashfest/ranking battles/possible tournament is canceled. reasons why it is, is because my parents are being unreasonable douche bags and wont let me host it. I'm betting Adnan WAS going to post this sooner, but as we all know half the time he lacks computer access. hell if it weren't for Drolian, I probably wouldn't have posted this and im betting you would all be getting a last minute cancelation and you'd all end up bashing on Adnan AGAIN (and from what I hear, it happens alot), so yea Im just getting this outa the way, and sincere apologies for any disappointment.

wow i sounded to formal just now o_o, (<<;; better balance it out)

I LIKE PIE

D

Deleted member

Jeffman - I just saw your vid hahahahaha

yeah, we were talking about different things...in any case, it's still a ***** of a ledge no matter if you can overcome it (perhaps easily for pr-omgs like you). I hope we can agree on that?

<3, Jake.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
It's not a smashfest though, since there's only 2 tvs, and there are to be no friendlies happening. That's unfun and not what the community should be about. I think that's what he's trying to say.
I was going to bring a third and possibly a fourth, although the fourth would've been really, really small. However, that aside, TVs would not have been an issue. There would have been enough for friendlies.

Of course, it doesn't matter at this point. It was cancelled. :(

efex

Smash Cadet
why doesnt someone else just host one ? i'm pretty sure you all have basements with tv's that are playable ( i cant host only cause thats when i am coming back into toronto that day =[ and no time to prepare0

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
ADNANZ IN DA HIZZOUZ

kay, yeah itz cancelled DD:. But I am willing to travel to a place I can play smash, I don't care honestly. Umm lol unfortunately my working schedule has changed but I can tell you guys that the weekend before AN I can for sure host up a RankBat. ughh, back on this in a sec.

EDIT: gay library 15 minute trials.

Anyway, yeah. If someone in Toronto who is close to a Subway station wants to host a small smashfest, cool. I, personally don't mind and would come. But I would like to have another 5 guys come to, those day passes really interest me (2 over 19, 4 below 19 for 8.50). And yeah sorry for the delay in the cancellation. Beter late than never, right?

It's even better if it's Mississauga.

I might also bring a flippin guy with me :0 some S-p-amus player (rofl almost wrote anus).

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
lets build a smash bunker in someones backyard were we can play :D
[starcraftjargon]

It'd be a good idea to stuff 4 Marines in there, and a Sieged Tank behind us.

[/starcraftjargon]

My basement is being fixed up and should be fixed within a couple of months. After September-ish or October-ish Smashfest will happen at our house.

Also, out good friend Tami the big wham Slami has found 2 TVs for $30 each. Not sure of the details. James won a smash tournament and won 60 bucks for us, and liek we're gonna use that for TVs and once that basement of mine gets fixed, expect 3-4 TVs down there and possibly some recording equipment too :00.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
You must construct additional psi pylons!

Also, Matt's coming over to my house on either saturday or sunday and I live relatively close to Finch station. If you want to come over too, feel free to, just send me PM or something please.

I realize most if not almost all of you live in Sauga but if you're bored and can get the ride there and back I'm available.

Jarc

Smash Lord
TO THE CORNFIELD... BYAAAH!!!!!! (Montreal, Canada
[starcraftjargon]

It'd be a good idea to stuff 4 Marines in there, and a Sieged Tank behind us.

[/starcraftjargon]
[prostarcraftjargon]
Depends on the positionning of the bunker compared to the enemy's base. Like, if it's a bunker placed at your 2nd expo (likely mineral only) you might wanna have two or three bunkers, also likely with a few firebats in there cuz zerg will probably have swarm by then. If your bunker rushing, you might wanna bring a few scvs with you to repair at the same time. If he focus fires the scv, you can load it into the bunker then take it out and continue repairing. It's like mindgames except @ Starcraft.

If he's protoss, the only good place to put a bunker is if you can't wall in and he tries some proxy gates or something. Versus an other Terran it's quite useless.

[/prostarcraftjargon]

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman
oookay for those of you who read my last post before i deleted it, its canceled AGAIN I went to confirm the whole thing with jamal. But i just remembered andre hears and says alot of ****, he told me it was back on for sure and he talk to his mom about it. I talked to jamal, and then jamal talked about it to his mom apparently she never agreed to anything, now as we speak she is cussing Andre for giving us false information

edit: sorry for the false hope and false info T_T

Drolian

Smash Journeyman
It's nice out tomorrow. =/

I should do my project today..

BTW, I suggest we make our crew name March of the Dogs, in honour of Sum 41's new song. <_< Plus it sounds cool.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Man, I wanna do something, some people may be able to come over to my play, but I don't really want to impede on Dragon_Hawk's invitation.
lol it's cool. tbh I'd rather people NOT feel guilty about inviting when I've issued an invitation because I know my location is rather geographically inconvenient. Honestly, with the exceptions of Michael and Matt, nobody really comes over here.

So go ahead man. Have some fun lol.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I actually have a 4rth period spare so I get off school at 2:00.

Mondays and Tuesdays are actually perfect.
I got Mondays and Tuesdays off instead of Saturdays now ]: but it's good for you. How far are you from Finch station? I wouldn't mind visiting you and Marco (IF HE COMES TO LIFE SOON).

Drolian

Smash Journeyman
Does that mean no more Gamerz, Adnan? :(

PS: In my vid, I wonder if I hadn't wall-teched the up+b at 1:50, would I have been stage spiked and died?

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Aww man, utter sandbaggin today D:. Teams was fun, Singles was okay. Aww man, I think someone will go home with a bigger ego, I hope he spreads the word that "They're not that good" XD scapegoat for the crew battle mm :00.

I tried against the guys like I.B, D.B and JHong. D: Why'd you pause Dzenan?

Landeh, I missed it. Fill me in on who won and such :00.

Top Bottom