• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Thanks for the open and friendly response. I had similar thoughts when I started playing ranked, however when I was able to get a significant amount of games in this year I realized that there were so many things I knew were possible, but I didn't know how to do them. For me personally, I feel like there are so many things I want to simulate in a custom game so I don't have to waste the time it takes in champ select, dodging, and then the loading screen just to ruin it for myself because I want to try a different camp clear, jungle route, or itemization choice in order to improve. So my approach to Solo Q tends to be entirely different from what people end up doing (spamming ranked games), although my view of the game is analogous to what a lot of people think with respect to teammates and the Solo Q system being flawed (not looking forward to Dynamic Queue either).

Retrospectively ranked was fun for me because old Fiora in the mid lane was absolutely abusive in low elo and no one understood how differently the lane is supposed to be played out in a melee AD v. ranged AP matchup when the melee AD can chunk 1/3 of your health out at level 1 and force you to play defensively because their auto-attack trumps your single spell around a 3-4 second cooldown and her stickiness with a double gap closer is by far the most annoying thing if your first spell wasn't some form of hard CC or gap closer as well.

Last edited:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I play on NA. If high ping isn't an issue, I have a level 30 NA account if you want to play with me. I don't mind moving it over to EUW (to play with you), but my life has currently been very hectic considering I just got accepted into a graduate school program and am planning how to handle rent, tuition, and other factors. Would definitely like to play with you.
Just cause my main account is in EU West doesn't mean I live in EU lol. I live in Texas. Same as Slush and Espy. I have an NA account with just about every champion I normally play.

:059:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Thanks for the open and friendly response. I had similar thoughts when I started playing ranked, however when I was able to get a significant amount of games in this year I realized that there were so many things I knew were possible, but I didn't know how to do them. For me personally, I feel like there are so many things I want to simulate in a custom game so I don't have to waste the time it takes in champ select, dodging, and then the loading screen just to ruin it for myself because I want to try a different camp clear, jungle route, or itemization choice in order to improve. So my approach to Solo Q tends to be entirely different from what people end up doing (spamming ranked games), although my view of the game is analogous to what a lot of people think with respect to teammates and the Solo Q system being flawed (not looking forward to Dynamic Queue either).

Retrospectively ranked was fun for me because old Fiora in the mid lane was absolutely abusive in low elo and no one understood how differently the lane is supposed to be played out in a melee AD v. ranged AP matchup when the melee AD can chunk 1/3 of your health out at level 1 and force you to play defensively because their auto-attack trumps your single spell around a 3-4 second cooldown and her stickiness with a double gap closer is by far the most annoying thing if your first spell wasn't some form of hard CC or gap closer as well.
ofc, no problem.

On the topic of Fiora mid, there are other champs that work that way too. I love playing cho mid, because your vorpal spikes level 1 do more damage than new midlaners expect. that, having an AOE silence, natural tankyness, and a huge burst of true damage makes for a really oppressive laning phase. However, I've found that even if you stomp early with something like that, in silver games tend to go stupid long even if one team should have won 20 minutes ago, so you tend to fall off. That's why I default to the heaviest of scaling champs, while still being able to perform early.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
This season is fun, too bad I'm almost never getting the AD role so my most practiced role has been Support lately.
The one or two times I do get AD though, it's **** like Twitch vs Cait.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
This season is fun, too bad I'm almost never getting the AD role so my most practiced role has been Support lately.
The one or two times I do get AD though, it's **** like Twitch vs Cait.
Caitlyn is stupid strong if you know how to position right atm.

Also hurrah for hotfixes to Warlord's soon.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
MF Lucian Cait and of course Graves are the 4 ADs to look out for and spam. Mostly Caitlyn, but yeah she's dumb just even worse for Twitch especially.

Also thank god, nothing is as fun as Yas getting 100% crit chance in 3700 gold and after already dishing out 1k+ to you and took 8 turret shots only to heal it all up already from minions.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yeah I know, champs only. Which is nice cause there really was next to no reason to build bork/BT/Hydra on anyone unless you're riven and want the hydra autocancels/BT shield on top of your AD shield.

It's also nice cause it just pushes the whole "mercurial possible best 2nd/3rd item to rush on marksman" thing since QSS lifesteal and most AD in the game from an item.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Thoughts on Death's Dance being a core item on Marksmen? In addition to what you think is going to be the core-6 best items to build for this season. Also was I wrong for building botrk on Tristana? The crescent blade active just did so much for me in laning phase when applied right before an enemy's flash/escape in addition to her W to just prevent any chance they had of living and preventing from being counter-engaged.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It honestly feels like a bunch of item changes are thinly veiled buffs for like a very small pool of characters (like 1-4 characters)

Gunblade/Guinsoo's feels like it had all the changes for Akali Jax Kayle etc.
Sheen with CDR feels like it's almost specifically made for TF and maybe Fizz (Triforce prolly not good to build on corki or kog anymore since no AP)
Death's Dance is almost entirely Riven and maybe an assassin or two (zed), it's not good on AD carries, there's better CDR options. Or rather should say option, Essence Reaver and any crit item giving you pretty much max CDR lol
Bork nerf/cost increased specifically targeted at vayne especially since no need to max tumble anymore when W max rank gives 12% + 6% from bork health damage. It's pretty much a vayne item now since Twitch would most likely rather get ghostblade into other items. Oh, and PD is another vayne item basically lol
Possibly twitch and Shaco too?

The changes to grevious wounds is a big nerf to everyone + Mundo. Nerf to everyone cause now soraka gets to have a ****ing field day and the only way to stop her is by banning her in draft. So don't build Mortal reminder until they fix grevious wounds, that's bad too.

Feel like the items marksman will have trouble choosing is shiv or rapid firecannon. Core items prolly ER/Ghostblade first for marksman, Mercurial or attack speed item second, 3rd can be BT (once the bloodlust mastery is changed lifesteal will be needed again), 4th sit on LW for a bit until upgrading to Lord Dominik sends his regards :^), 5th maybe spirit visage or maw, 6th is of course boots.

Rare different cases might be banshee hurricane and Black Cleaver.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Since they changed Corki Triforce is actually really good with essence reaver.

CDR is good on him now so he recharges his ult every 6 seconds to proc it more.

Loss of AP isn't that bad.

Kog on the other hand.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It honestly feels like a bunch of item changes are thinly veiled buffs for like a very small pool of characters (like 1-4 characters)

Gunblade/Guinsoo's feels like it had all the changes for Akali Jax Kayle etc.
Sheen with CDR feels like it's almost specifically made for TF and maybe Fizz (Triforce prolly not good to build on corki or kog anymore since no AP)
Death's Dance is almost entirely Riven and maybe an assassin or two (zed), it's not good on AD carries, there's better CDR options. Or rather should say option, Essence Reaver and any crit item giving you pretty much max CDR lol
Bork nerf/cost increased specifically targeted at vayne especially since no need to max tumble anymore when W max rank gives 12% + 6% from bork health damage. It's pretty much a vayne item now since Twitch would most likely rather get ghostblade into other items. Oh, and PD is another vayne item basically lol
Possibly twitch and Shaco too?

The changes to grevious wounds is a big nerf to everyone + Mundo. Nerf to everyone cause now soraka gets to have a ****ing field day and the only way to stop her is by banning her in draft. So don't build Mortal reminder until they fix grevious wounds, that's bad too.

Feel like the items marksman will have trouble choosing is shiv or rapid firecannon. Core items prolly ER/Ghostblade first for marksman, Mercurial or attack speed item second, 3rd can be BT (once the bloodlust mastery is changed lifesteal will be needed again), 4th sit on LW for a bit until upgrading to Lord Dominik sends his regards :^), 5th maybe spirit visage or maw, 6th is of course boots.

Rare different cases might be banshee hurricane and Black Cleaver.
Zed is one of the worst champions in the game atm, and he got two nerfs with the botrk changes and the WQ bugfix. I think Azir was the last champion to be released that doesn't have a mechanic that hard-counters him (although Zed still has to outplay him to get the kill).

He honestly needs all the buffs he can get so I don't mind an item being tailored for him.

Last edited:

Frolossus

Smash Lord
season rewards are out on NA.
relative role balance feels pretty good. but there might be individually some outliers as expected and they will be fine tuned over time.

however i strongly think that the guinsoo's rageblade + corrupting potion combination should be observed more carefully

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So I really hate the quinn changes

but shes much better than before.

edit:
Loss of blind kinda sucks, but her Q damage (and execute lol), less mana, and cd reduction makes her crazy good at bullying people in top lane. she shoves kinda hard but shes so good at harrassing people under turret. Tried her mid lane didnt like it, top lane rush essence reaver or ghostblade are both amazing.

Afraid to play her bot lane tbh, don't think it would go well and her roaming play making abilities are more suited to mid and top lane. she can gank lanes with just real good damage and zipping into lane at 650+movespeed lvl 6.

haven't tried her jungle yet. Don't think she'd do well without the blind but I'm going to give it a shot right now. Can't be horrible

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre

Yeah you're definitely going to be able to jungle with her.

Also I don't know if you guys are aware, but at rank 5 Grave's E when stacked 4 times gives him 120 armor and mr.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium

Yeah you're definitely going to be able to jungle with her.

Also I don't know if you guys are aware, but at rank 5 Grave's E when stacked 4 times gives him 120 armor and mr.
Tried it, it was okay. First clear was real rough but I didn't really change runes/masteries at all for it so that was my b. Needs the right team comp, ganks kinda suck till 6. She's just damage and crazy split pushing safety. And amazing roaming. I'd still rather play twitch or Graves jungle.

E stacks are ********

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I hear they are thinking about buffing kog in the patch
Every single change they've made to Kog has only made him less relevant, even during the tank meta.

I'm scratching my head at the people liking anything besides the return of Executioner's Calling. Twin shadows was underrated. Removing wards as a tangible resource was the most conspicuously ******** change since I began playing. Good luck split pushing without needing to build a Sight Stone. Not every team has the LCS-tier communication needed to split in these changes.

It seems like every three months the meta revolves around an increasingly narrow set of champions. We shouldn't have spent more than a few weeks with picks and bans decided by juggernauts. There's no "testing the waters" to be had when you release things like Dead Man's Plate and Starek's Gage to guarantee those champions will thrive. Now it's all about a few ADs, and we're already cutting down which ADCs will be best to play. It will probably be either Lucian or Graves, in all likelihood. They're the only ADCs that have both the damage and mobility. After they are picked, it will be pretty inconsequential who else you pick.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
People thinking the adc are the problem in this patch clearly haven't tested devourer guinsoo gunblade Jax.
This is the cancer to end all cancer.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Every single change they've made to Kog has only made him less relevant, even during the tank meta.

I'm scratching my head at the people liking anything besides the return of Executioner's Calling. Twin shadows was underrated. Removing wards as a tangible resource was the most conspicuously ******** change since I began playing. Good luck split pushing without needing to build a Sight Stone. Not every team has the LCS-tier communication needed to split in these changes.

It seems like every three months the meta revolves around an increasingly narrow set of champions. We shouldn't have spent more than a few weeks with picks and bans decided by juggernauts. There's no "testing the waters" to be had when you release things like Dead Man's Plate and Starek's Gage to guarantee those champions will thrive. Now it's all about a few ADs, and we're already cutting down which ADCs will be best to play. It will probably be either Lucian or Graves, in all likelihood. They're the only ADCs that have both the damage and mobility. After they are picked, it will be pretty inconsequential who else you pick.
Eh, it's kinda offset by the fact that yellow trinket upgrades automatically now. That + pinks being cheaper means it's not so different.

Besides, this is the preseason. The point of it is to launch broken crap that doesn't work as intended so that by the season we can get to less broken crap that almost works as intended xD

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Eh, it's kinda offset by the fact that yellow trinket upgrades automatically now. That + pinks being cheaper means it's not so different.

Besides, this is the preseason. The point of it is to launch broken crap that doesn't work as intended so that by the season we can get to less broken crap that almost works as intended xD
You genuinely believe it's not working as intended?

Plenty of things have been intended. Remember when they initially released the support items? They made the jungler role obsolete. Every game was 2 - 1 - 2 with double laners top taking relic shield. It was only when there was extreme backlash did Riot finally change relic and give some power back to Junglers.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You genuinely believe it's not working as intended?

Plenty of things have been intended. Remember when they initially released the support items? They made the jungler role obsolete. Every game was 2 - 1 - 2 with double laners top taking relic shield. It was only when there was extreme backlash did Riot finally change relic and give some power back to Junglers.
Yeah, I don't think riot intended to make junglers obsolete. In fact, they seem pretty intent on keeping the lane meta the way it is, and balancing around that. Just like when runeglaive could proc on lane minions, and suddenly smite ezreal mid was a thing. They wanted smite on the jungler in the jungle, so they changed it.

but tbh there's about a year and a half gap where I stopped playing league entirely, so I really don't know anything about how last preseason went, I only started playing again a few months ago. This is just from my league experience as a whole.

Frolossus

Smash Lord

the problem with the juggernaut patch was frankly that it was clearly intended to be balanced by the ADC rework. however for some unknown reason it was pushed out while ADCs were still collectively underpowered and thus unable to handle it accordingly

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
the problem with the juggernaut patch was frankly that it was clearly intended to be balanced by the ADC rework. however for some unknown reason it was pushed out while ADCs were still collectively underpowered and thus unable to handle it accordingly
Clearly intended to be balanced out by another rework? These people know what they are doing; They aren't amateurs. There's no 'balancing', just a shift to a more narrow set of champions. They know what they are doing when they gut every AP item, raise MR, and streamline AD to the point that there are no longer any meaningful choices. Let's look at Yasuo - he can now get all of the damage that he had before out of just two items. The BT and Sterak is just gravy redundancy and boost him from insane damage to unkillable hypergod. Don't tell me they would accidentally overlook how it would overload one of the most played champions in the game.

The AP changes are egregious. They kicked every AP in the game down two tiers when mages weren't even a problem before the rework. Mages haven't been a huge problem since the beginning of season 4 when they eliminated the traditional support role (only Sona survived, Soraka needed a rework).

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Clearly intended to be balanced out by another rework? These people know what they are doing; They aren't amateurs. There's no 'balancing', just a shift to a more narrow set of champions. They know what they are doing when they gut every AP item, raise MR, and streamline AD to the point that there are no longer any meaningful choices. Let's look at Yasuo - he can now get all of the damage that he had before out of just two items. The BT and Sterak is just gravy redundancy and boost him from insane damage to unkillable hypergod. Don't tell me they would accidentally overlook how it would overload one of the most played champions in the game.

The AP changes are egregious. They kicked every AP in the game down two tiers when mages weren't even a problem before the rework. Mages haven't been a huge problem since the beginning of season 4 when they eliminated the traditional support role (only Sona survived, Soraka needed a rework).
While I agree that Yasuo has always been a bit of an oppressive presence, I would argue at this point that AD is anything but streamlined. Sure, certain champions have core items. That'll never change. But build diversity is insane now with all the different unique effects the new AD items have.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Dr. James Rustles Dr. James Rustles Yasuo was always a two item champion. Infinity Edge and Statik Shiv. Unless I'm missing something.

Also my impression was that when you isolate mid lane into just being about two dudes staring each other down in the lane, then AD always had distinct advantages with sustain in lane since lifesteal ratios were always better than spellvamp and spellvamp itemization was really limited and would cut off damage options. Not to mention you expend no mana when you farm allowing you to forcibly "push-in" the AP laner either bating them into burning their mana in order to keep the lane even or allowing you to poke them while they farmed under tower/roam around the map.

AP mid lane in my mind always focused on the concept that they contributed a lot to teamfights by providing a lot of AoE DPS if you caught the enemy in a choke point or at dragon/baron pit. The fact that they are smack dab there makes them able to roam and contest it. Also APs traditionally have better lock down options to create opportunities to use burst ultimates at level 6 which is precisely why they have traditionally been put in the mid lane in order to reach their power spike the fastest.

I don't feel threatened by Yasuo. Especially when you could take a non-traditional pick and bully him out of lane after building a randuin's or frozen heart. Hell, dodge his Q strikes and you block him from ever using his ultimate on you in laning phase. Current Yasuo was hardly as oppressive as old Fiora when played in the mid lane where the only ingredient to winning was waiting until Yasuo only had to lose 1/4 of his health in lane and all I needed to do was cast ignite, press W for the atk boost, press R, then press E for the AS boost if he needed to be auto'd before he died. Then used Q on a nearby minion to avoid getting too much tower aggro.

You think Yasuo is oppressive against AP mid laners? Fiora mid forced them to rush a Zhonya's as a first item in order to avoid getting cheesed to death which was highly unlikely to happen anytime soon considering a majority of people in low elo relied on finishing chalice/athene's as an intermediate/first complete item for mana regen and couldn't farm normally without it. That and there was no chance in hell that they would be able to farm enough to get a Zhonya's on first back. Especially if you assaulted them at any stage pre-level 3 with autos before they got their comfortable three spell pizza to peg you with in lane.

Imo: High wave clear & fast objective clears, high mobility/terrain cross, and point & click CC. These are the champions people should actually be upset about. Lmao.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Season 6 Item List Cheat Sheet
  1. Phantom Dancer (reworked)
  2. Kircheis Shard
  3. Rapid Firecannon
  4. Giant Slayer
  5. Executioner's Calling
  6. Lord Dominik's Regards
  7. Mortal Reminder
  8. Mercurial Scrimitar
  1. Death's Dance
  2. Guinsoo's Rageblade
  3. Jaurim's Fist
  4. Serrated Dirk
  5. Caulfield's Hammer
  1. Cull
  2. The Dark Seal
  3. Hunter's Potion
  4. Corrupting Potion
  5. Refillable Potion
  1. Hunter's Talisman
  2. Tracker's Knife
  1. Eye of the: Watchers, Oasis, & Equinox
  1. Farsight alteration
  2. Oracle alteration

Frolossus

Smash Lord
Is there any reason not to take the Oracle alteration? It seems way better to me.

i firmly believe for solo queue that having vision is more important than denying it. in this patch there are fewer ways to get vision as you can no longer purchase green wards. this limits you to the other two trinket types and a handful of champion abilities to get your vision from.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i firmly believe for solo queue that having vision is more important than denying it.
unless u pick rengar

i actually am enjoying the preseason greatly

there's a couple silly items and masteries but that's the whole point of preseason, it'll get fixed

maybe i will play this game seriously again idk

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Soft Serve Soft Serve You sure have a strange way of spelling fun. And it's going to get even funnier with the addition of a bruiser who has a 2s cd AA reset gap closer, over 1.0 AD ratios on her Q, W and passive, and a skillshot that is literally the 2015 version of Blitz's hook.

Last edited:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
i firmly believe for solo queue that having vision is more important than denying it. in this patch there are fewer ways to get vision as you can no longer purchase green wards. this limits you to the other two trinket types and a handful of champion abilities to get your vision from.
I'm talking about the alteration as opposed to not going with the alteration. Speaking from a support main point of view.

Top Bottom