• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I think you're unranked again until you do your 10 placement matches, Pakman. But each person starts at a different base ELO based on Season 1 ranking? At least that's my understanding.

MacD

Banned via Administration
beware, you get a bonus again it seems.

started at like just shy of 1300, lost 1, won 2, now i'm 1345

basically don't throw away your beginning again

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
so can someone explain to me wtf twisted treeeline is. some guy challenegd me to a 1v1 and we went there. apparently it's horrible imba or something??? because we were 1-1 his Gp vs my fiddle (never played fids b4 lol) and i had triple his CS. but blues bot lane pushed through my inhibitor (we weren't allowed to push it) before his bottom first tower went down so he got to be even on gold and i lost when bot lane took down my nexus... WTF?
This is pretty much your fault for 1v1ing anyone. I'd also imagine if the lane pushed that far he was using his ults on bot lane to push.

_Dice

Smash Ace
they should change ckarners name to skarner the massively depressed scorpian. because you can never get a good team while playing him. started close to 1300 ELO. dropped to almost below 1200 solely from bad carries

also my first loss everyone on my team was below 1220 except me and eveyrone on their team was at 1380-1500

i see no reason to ever play ranked ever if all it does is depress you on how bad your team is. i was told the game gets better in ranked but all i see is it's just worse. so bad community, ranked being impossible to play until you get decently high, and no fun involved during wins = me quitting.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
they should change ckarners name to skarner the massively depressed scorpian. because you can never get a good team while playing him. started close to 1300 ELO. dropped to almost below 1200 solely from bad carries

also my first loss everyone on my team was below 1220 except me and eveyrone on their team was at 1380-1500

i see no reason to ever play ranked ever if all it does is depress you on how bad your team is. i was told the game gets better in ranked but all i see is it's just worse. so bad community, ranked being impossible to play until you get decently high, and no fun involved during wins = me quitting.
Should play a character that can win his lane really hard really early and then carry the rest of the team until you get to the 1500ish range.

Also, considering you just hit level 30 pretty recently, I'm sure you made your fair share of mistakes and are quite far away from being good enough to win more than lose in ranked. Biggest mistake most people make is jumping into ranked way too soon. Draft Normal is now a permanent thing, practice there for a couple hundred games.

Also, just looking at your scores you need to start trying to die less. Anything you can keep the enemy from getting will benefit yours.

_Dice

Smash Ace
Should play a character that can win his lane really hard really early and then carry the rest of the team until you get to the 1500ish range.

Also, considering you just hit level 30 pretty recently, I'm sure you made your fair share of mistakes and are quite far away from being good enough to win more than lose in ranked. Biggest mistake most people make is jumping into ranked way too soon. Draft Normal is now a permanent thing, practice there for a couple hundred games.

Also, just looking at your scores you need to start trying to die less. Anything you can keep the enemy from getting will benefit yours.
last few games i've been dying alot in weird situations like ashe arrow initiate and then i go in and team leaves. lol a big issue i have is i nevergive up on my team or just decide that they aren't good and don't do what they want. i ALWAYS defer to my team and do thigns as they want, and oftentimes it screws me since my team tends to be mediocre at best. but yeah I hate carrying. in dota i always played tank but in LoL i've been playing jungler and support only. Also when i played on a friends account at 1530ish i was always doing fairly well and i enjoyed the game there. I think the people i inhoused with can vouch for me saying i'm not awful just not knowledgable. haha.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
That's what I'm saying. If you're playing solo queue, you need to up your game before you'll start seeing wins, b/c the bads will always be there and you need to compensate for them.

_Dice

Smash Ace
That's what I'm saying. If you're playing solo queue, you need to up your game before you'll start seeing wins, b/c the bads will always be there and you need to compensate for them.
it's really hard to compensate for knowingly bad judgement. that last game the one i went 1-7 or something in i spent an enormous amount of my money on wards and i kept most of the map warded alot of the game purchasing 5-10 wards every time i went to base since the soraka on our team refused to buy them or get any items besides deathcaps. the cho gath top held it down and with my help went up a few kills and pushed his lane down two towers. our tryndamere didn't speak english and also went purely for health items witrh no damage/crit/attack speed/reduction/boots and our ashe refused to position correctly. there was no winning in that situation especially with a nocturne who decided to go middle vs brand instead of jungle (pre game said he was goign midonly). so yeah i doubt anyone else could have won that game in my situation. :(

the past 4 games my team has seen every gank against them coming at least 5 seconds in advance and been warned, and only have avoided those ganks 1-2 times. thats really really depressing.

and my first two games i had competant carry + tank and we won handily both times.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Another thing which has been said in this thread more than once before, is don't go in expecting to win.

Expect to lose at solo queue, and you will have much more fun.

_Dice

Smash Ace
Another thing which has been said in this thread more than once before, is don't go in expecting to win.

i don't mind losing. i play starcraft 2 very competitively and so i'm entirely used to losing. but joining a game and then seeing the bans of eve and xin from my captain despite being asked to ban others, and having 4 people completely imcompetant on your team pretty much removes any chance of fun. i'm even going out of my way to do things like "let's try to break my jungling record" and experimenting with other things to amuse myself and it all comes down to an entire team failing left and right and complaining about everyone else. :( yeah i screw up occasionally and i learn from it. but i can't learn a damn thing from a game where i do everything right and we lose because of nonsensical decision making of other people. thats why sc2 is alot better youw atch the replay and learn from it.

even auto losses in starcraft 2 you learn from. you sometimes lose just because you chose to do X when the enemy did Y. and you learn exactly what to look for to prevent those situations. auto losses in this game are just infuriatingly stupid things you can't control. it'd be like laning vs a GP who never gets crit runes/items and crits every hit due to obsene luck. you can't learn anything from that. except he was lucky.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord

I'm just starting to just try to play my role as best as possible. That and I noticed that I win if I tell my team what to do...very strange. It's even weirder that 95% of the time they actually listen.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I haven't been able to actually GET a team who is able to make a strong team comp yet.

Really bad luck for me I suppose, but I can't really do much.
Bit annoyed I'll have to crawl back up at 12/13 per win but whatever.

_Dice

Smash Ace
I guess my biggest problem in LoL is just that you can't learn from losses every time since sometimes the only lesson is, don't have bad allies?. which is why i really would just like an arranged team and only play w/ them so i could expect improvement constantly

Jazriel

Smash Ace
i don't mind losing. i play starcraft 2 very competitively and so i'm entirely used to losing. but joining a game and then seeing the bans of eve and xin from my captain despite being asked to ban others, and having 4 people completely imcompetant on your team pretty much removes any chance of fun. i'm even going out of my way to do things like "let's try to break my jungling record" and experimenting with other things to amuse myself and it all comes down to an entire team failing left and right and complaining about everyone else. :( yeah i screw up occasionally and i learn from it. but i can't learn a damn thing from a game where i do everything right and we lose because of nonsensical decision making of other people. thats why sc2 is alot better youw atch the replay and learn from it.

even auto losses in starcraft 2 you learn from. you sometimes lose just because you chose to do X when the enemy did Y. and you learn exactly what to look for to prevent those situations. auto losses in this game are just infuriatingly stupid things you can't control. it'd be like laning vs a GP who never gets crit runes/items and crits every hit due to obsene luck. you can't learn anything from that. except he was lucky.
Are we going to have to deal with these monologues every time someone new shows up?

It's called solo q lottery. Get used to it.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess my biggest problem in LoL is just that you can't learn from losses every time since sometimes the only lesson is, don't have bad allies?. which is why i really would just like an arranged team and only play w/ them so i could expect improvement constantly
I learn something every game o.o

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
LOL i love solo queue mannnnnnn

First game- 1/10 annie mid, i'm bot on cait 50 cs up, can't leave lane bc they push hard. Jungler non existant. Gragas is 5/0 ****** face gg

Second game- 2/0/2 jungle gp. Bot lane goes 1/4 and 0/6. simply because they kept diving them under tower. Cait had like 0 cs gg

This game man lol. I'm about to quit solo forever and just do ranked 5s

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
This is actually a common attitude but it's also the wrong one. Do you really think you know enough about the game that the only lesson is not to have bad allies? Please don't tell me that you play mistake-free every time.

Yes, occasionally there is nothing (theoretically, anyway) that you can do to win a game since you are paired with baddies and the other team has all competent players. That happens sometimes. It also happens sometimes that your team just walks over the opposing team in the same manner. Do you then complain that there was nothing to learn from that game other than "have good teammates?" You should.

But really a lot of the time you'll have a baddie or two on your team and so does the opposing side. Are you good at recognizing and exploiting bad players? Can you adjust your play to optimize a sub-optimal teammate? There is no such thing as a perfect way to play, it's all about making good decisions while adjusting to the game.

When teams are evenly matched one mistake is all it takes to snowball the game out of control. There is no game where you cannot look back and learn something, whether it be glaring or the most minute of fine-tuning. As a Starcraft player I think you can understand that.

Also you should probably know that no one takes solo queue as a serious indicator of skill, except for idiots on the forum. Certainly a 2200 player is going to get more respect than, say, me. But it's not what the game is really about. Yes, it's really frustrating to try your best and have your teammates do stupid ****, and that's exactly why solo queue isn't the true game. It's like playing pickup basketball, really.

So just do solo queue looking to improve yourself. But remember that there isn't a game that you can't learn something from.

_Dice

Smash Ace
This is actually a common attitude but it's also the wrong one. Do you really think you know enough about the game that the only lesson is not to have bad allies? Please don't tell me that you play mistake-free every time.

Yes, occasionally there is nothing (theoretically, anyway) that you can do to win a game since you are paired with baddies and the other team has all competent players. That happens sometimes. It also happens sometimes that your team just walks over the opposing team in the same manner. Do you then complain that there was nothing to learn from that game other than "have good teammates?" You should.

But really a lot of the time you'll have a baddie or two on your team and so does the opposing side. Are you good at recognizing and exploiting bad players? Can you adjust your play to optimize a sub-optimal teammate? There is no such thing as a perfect way to play, it's all about making good decisions while adjusting to the game.

When teams are evenly matched one mistake is all it takes to snowball the game out of control. There is no game where you cannot look back and learn something, whether it be glaring or the most minute of fine-tuning. As a Starcraft player I think you can understand that.

Also you should probably know that no one takes solo queue as a serious indicator of skill, except for idiots on the forum. Certainly a 2200 player is going to get more respect than, say, me. But it's not what the game is really about. Yes, it's really frustrating to try your best and have your teammates do stupid ****, and that's exactly why solo queue isn't the true game. It's like playing pickup basketball, really.

So just do solo queue looking to improve yourself. But remember that there isn't a game that you can't learn something from.
an example from my last game.

teams are urgot Blitz fiddle garen anvia vs kass rammus jax ren akali (akali left at the start of the game)

urgot and blitz lane bottom ( i am blitz) anivia middle vs kass fiddle jungle garen top vs ren.

urgot and blitz keep jax at lvl 2 while we are lvl 8 anivia goes 0-2 in 10 minutes so we tell anivia to come bottom and fiddle to help gank kassadin to get him back down. urgot middle vs kassadin anviia blitz bottom. anivia farms some and then tower dives jax and gets sent into egg form (we told her not to dive jax just to keep him out of the fight because he was screwed and we won) but anivia dives and i have to kill jax under turret and tank the hits so anivia escapes.

meanwhile i have warded all the entrances to the jungles and their red and i keep it warded up until the end of the game.

anivia goes back mid and urgot stays to baby sit. anivia gets killed 4 more times while being baby sat because she chases into turret vs kass. meanwhile i am CVing to find jax in jungle (while rammus tries to counter jungle and gets shut down) and i keep him from farming back in the game while i push bottom tower down and ward the new lane to keep jax from farming in it.

ren kills garen a few times but garen gets a kill during this time.

we get dragon at 14:20ish and 20:40ish and 27:30ish because of my wards and good timing. the 27:00ish we gank them as they trying to dragon and kill 3 of them and then dragon without losing anyone. then anivia attacks kassadin in the jungle and dies after we told her to go b for being eggless and <40% hp.

anivia also went pure mana and mana regn with no HP despite us tleling her not to. we even tired to salvage the situation and get her to mass dorans rings. this works and she gets 4 kills for the rest of the game (ends 4-10)

Garen loses top while fiddle helps him rank renekton both of them dying to ren because of bad timing and chasing too far.

garen ends 3-8

fiddle is constantly over extending pushing lanes well after he sees 2-4 people coming at him through the enormous amount of wards i have place throughout the game.

he dies this way 4+ times despite being told when to run and where to go all game.

fiddle ends 4-9

they baron at minute 40. garen flashes in and goes after rammus. dies. they get baron. fiddle ultimates in before anyone else is near after being told to get b. dies. anviia then goes in and dies. they find and chase a running urgot. i escape to base. and limit the damage to only losing mid tower but no inhibs.

i ward our own jungle near middle and keep my wards up wherever i can.

garen fiddle and anivia are groupped together and told to wait for myself and urgot before pushing. they charge ahead and die 3v4 without killign anyone.

the jax that started the game vs me and urgot 0-3-0 with <20 cs by minute 15 goes ont o be 9-8-10 with 190 cs due to killing garen/anivia/fiddle whomever and farming up again. urgot and i continue to punish him whenever he pushes and kill him.

the game ends 47ish minutes in when they push in and take out both towers. and all 3 inhibs while myself and urgot hold them off 2v4 from killing the nexus and kill all 4. is tay back to defend the naked nexus while the 4 of them push and get 2 turrets. urgot signals the b and eveyrone starts to leave... until jax shows up. garen anivia and fiddle jump him right after urgots recall wnet off. they all 3 die to jax by himself and they push to end it.

i hit pretty much every highlight. every team fight that wasn't a horrible gank on fiddle/garen/anivia was started by my pullign ren jax or kass and them dying well before the rest of them could react.

i fail to see what i could do differently i spent an immense amount of money on wards that game to prevent ANY slip ups fromlack of map vision. and my team still failed me (except urgot) at every step of the way. could i have landed more key hooks? yeah i missed about 2 that could have caused a turret or something to go down. thats something i can work on but nothing i LEARNED from the game. just more practice at predicting flashes is needed.

i played that game near flawlessly at my lvl (went 4-3-12) dying only when i could sacrifice myself to save 2+ (twice) and once right as the game ended. in a last ditch effort to save the nexus. I don't have a clue what i can learn from this game except don't have bad teammates.

and yeah i understand all your other points btw. ^^ i once spent 50 hours doing the first 4 minutes of my game in starcraft to get everything completely mechanical and effortless.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You are Blitz, he is Urgot (and as you said, not bad). How about once you hit six you run around and gank w/ your jungler/help the lanes that are in trouble instead of sitting bottom not getting CS b/c I assume you're playing support.

Stop making excuses and start looking for ways to improve. Some games are truly uncarryable but the way you carry on makes it seem like the majority of them are for you... meaning YOU are doing something wrong, b/c the other team always has someone (or multiples) that impact the game more than you.

You can keep writing giant walls of text to try to justify your losses, or you can man up and get better.

@Seph - Orianna is still a beast, but she is much more balanced now, so you're not guilty :p Should have played her pre-nerf.

_Dice

Smash Ace
You are Blitz, he is Urgot (and as you said, not bad). How about once you hit six you run around and gank w/ your jungler/help the lanes that are in trouble instead of sitting bottom not getting CS b/c I assume you're playing support.

Stop making excuses and start looking for ways to improve. Some games are truly uncarryable but the way you carry on makes it seem like the majority of them are for you... meaning YOU are doing something wrong, b/c the other team always has someone (or multiples) that impact the game more than you.

You can keep writing giant walls of text to try to justify your losses, or you can man up and get better.

@Seph - Orianna is still a beast, but she is much more balanced now, so you're not guilty :p Should have played her pre-nerf.
Phant i actually was running around helping lanes and warding but i had to keep going back to defend bot turret over and over. :(

i'm NOT making excuses. i'm just struggling to find what i did wrong in that game. a majority of games i do find things i've done wrong and can improve on. but i've had 2-3 games out of 8 in ranked that have been pretty much impossible. and i just wonder why the damn game had games like that. no game should be unwinnable because of team balance of skill. :( i'm not justifying anything. i don't know where you get that from. so please don't be so antagonistic without understanding what i'm saying. :/

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'm not being antagonistic, just blunt. It's hard to get intentions across in text.

You even said you missed grabs where you could have pulled an objective (towers, dragon, baron, etc) if you had landed it. That's already one thing to improve on. If you warded up everything, you should have been able to see people coming in to gank or do whatever, you can leave your lane to ruin their days with pulls etc. Mess with the jungler and u can easily shut down one of their team.

_Dice

Smash Ace
I'm not being antagonistic, just blunt. It's hard to get intentions across in text.

You even said you missed grabs where you could have pulled an objective (towers, dragon, baron, etc) if you had landed it. That's already one thing to improve on. If you warded up everything, you should have been able to see people coming in to gank or do whatever, you can leave your lane to ruin their days with pulls etc. Mess with the jungler and u can easily shut down one of their team.
both grabs i missed were trying to predict a flash and honestly i have no idea how to work on that. i went to the most likely spot but missed twice. :( that game they didn't have a jungler because it was 4v5. i did see everyoen coming but it's hard to do everything by yourself as a support. :( the only person who i could work with and be sucessful was urgot which limits my ganking opportunities. :( i did jump from lane to lane and burn summoner spelsl though. i dunno tried. i guess predicting exact flash locations and grabbing on reaction is what i should learn. but i didn't learn it from the game it's just something i have to do over and ove rin order to get. which doesn't count in my book. mechanical errors don't count.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also you should probably know that no one takes solo queue as a serious indicator of skill, except for idiots on the forum.
If you're really high in ranked soloqueue, it either means you got really good with a handful of champs, and/or you've done a fantastic job at adapting to the players around you. The latter goes a looooong way towards making good plays and forming good strategies in arranged 5s.
I mean, one's solo-queue elo is something to consider, at least.

_Dice

Smash Ace
So the riven buff really really makes her clear the jungle fast. she can counter jungle pretty well too with how fast she clears and how fast she moves.

i was able to take wraiths and golems before leaving vs someone going for blue without even being seen because their team was protecting blue. also i was able to deal 1050 base damage (no crit) to a squishy champ with her >.> trinity + her passive and alot of AD. now if only i had crit. :(

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
She scales a lot better with AD items than with a trinity. Xypherous, her designer, specifically made it that way.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Lots of AD. Ad everywhere.

I'd say, like, situational boots + Frozen mallet + standard BF build.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Dice I'm probably not going to be able to help you figure out what you could learn from a game like that. That's quite well detailed BTW. Basically, if there were something obvious to improve on you'd probably make a note of it yourself. It would be nice if I could see a replay, or if you could see it.

Now I'm thinking I need to stream myself just so I can watch replays of myself. Would be nice.

But you're right in that no game should be unwinnable due to balance of skill. That's kind of why solo queue isn't taken too seriously.

Dan I know solo queue ranking is something to consider, but it's never really THE thing to consider. Anytime anyone ever talks about their solo queue ranking most people just roll their eyes.

And dammit, Riven is a fast jungler now? I just spent a bunch of IP on Rumble. I'm gonna start collecting all the junglers now... that's gonna take a lot of games.

_Dice

Smash Ace
She scales a lot better with AD items than with a trinity. Xypherous, her designer, specifically made it that way.
yeah i my build gets trinity last mostly because of the movespeed crit and slow proc. but the bonus damage helps a bit i think as a 6th item trinity is better than any other item for damage. since the AD on trinity is 30, you have to judge whether a trinity proc is worth more than 70 AD (full BT) and with riven getting 35 damage to her passive and 50 damage per Q so a full Q does 85x3 vs 156x2 for trinity procs during the same time.

but yeah rushing trinity is definitely a nono.

i go boots -> sheen -> BT -> BT -> Banshee -> IE -> Trinity.

if you count auto attacks from passive after Q and W you see her Q scales at 2.5 AD and W at 1.5 AD while E is 1.0 and R is 1.5 and boosts all your other skills power greatly.

Top Bottom