• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grabbing: An Intense Look at an Underused Ike Mechanic

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Let me be brutally honest here, I think Ike is a top-notch character. Balanced, yet still fantastic. With that said, however, it is unfortunate that many people do not utilize his grab game to the full extent, for grabs will surely improve your game. That's what this guide is for: A centralized location for all the little things that Ike can do to get grabs, while grabbing, and after throwing the opponent. This is written at a fairly advanced level, but with as much explaining as possible. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

To begin, one must ask "Why does Ike need to grab?". It is true that Ike does not have Ness's 110% killing back throw, Ike lacks DeDeDe's chaingrabs on 2/3rds of the cast, and he doesn't have Kirby's true combo throws. Then why would you bother? Because they are a swift option for a character who has more laggy moves than quick ones. They come out fast, have decent range and do rack up moderate damage. They also bait the opponent into getting hit by a true laggy move, more on this later.

Speaking about grabs and throws is one thing, getting the grab is quite another. Actually, that's not particularly hard either. There are a multitude of ways to grab with Ike (All of these are on the Gamecube controller):

Standing Grab (Z)
Dash Grab (Run+Z)
Shield Grab (A while holding down L/R)
Jab Cancel Grab (Down then Z during the AAA combo)
Quick Draw Grab (Side B to Z)
Air Draw Grab (Aerial Side B to Z, this gives Ike a gigantic grab distance)
Pivot Grab (While running, press Shield + A + backwards (on the joystick) or Grab + Backwards simultaneously.)

Now that you have the victim in your grasp, what do you do with him/her/it?

Pummel (A or Z while grabbing) - 3%
Ike delivers a rather slow, unwieldy headbutt right to the opponent's face. This cause more damage than most other grab attacks, which usually do 1-2%. It's a slow attack, however, so your opponent might escape if you overdo it. If you refrain from that, however, you can do pummel damage and use one of your throws. If you don't feel like throwing them, chasing them, etc, you can try the grab release. Essentially you go for a ton of pummel damage by mashing A, and when they get out you keep mashing to get the AAA combo done. If you're really sneaky you can go: Grab->Pummel->AA->Grab->Throw->Follow-up for some really nice damage (Or AA->Grab->Pummel until release->AAA). On a side note, the pummel might sometimes do 4% on first use and degrades to 1%. One last thing, against a wall just holding R and rapidly pressing A will make Ike infinite the other person, useful if the wall is breakable and you don't want to try another infinite, such as on Green Greens.

Now for the important parts, throws. These are in order of what I think to be importance, with Forward and Down being equally good. All of the throws deal 6%, but they sometimes do 7% randomly, all degrade to 3% I think.) Any moves to follow up with are strings, not combos (I.E. they are escapable)

Forward Throw (6%)
The bread and butter of Ike's grab game, this is a fantastic throw for using your highly developed mindgames. Ike swiftly kicks the opponent away, allowing you to follow it up with:
Regrab (At low percents, you should do another throw after this so as not to degrade the Fthrow. This is possible, but will only work if they just stand there or tech in place, as Ike's poor run speed will not allow him to take full advantage of the weak knockback.)
Fair (If they take to the air, use this and hit them for solid damage, be sure to bait an airdodge first)
Dash attack (If they roll away just run and do this)
Against a wall, using this repeatedly allows for an infinite. It'll murder your Fthrow damage, but it'll give them -1 stock, so it's all cool.

Down Throw (6%)
Another great throw, here Ike jumps on the opponent, sending them up. This move has considerable knockback and kills at ~190% (Impressive?). You should use this at low percents to link into:

Aether, this in particular does a lot of damage, but only works if they don't DI.
Up Air (If they use a second jump)
Fair (If they go to the side)
Stalking: Essentially, you wait for them to come down, airdodge and thenup Smash. This is better left to the Up Throw, but is possible with the as well, especially as they might expect an Aether after the first down throw.

Back Throw (6%)
The Forward throw, except Backwards. That's practically it. It has a minimal amount more knockback than the Fthrow, but you can still follow up. It looks really fluid and makes your Ike game more well...pretty (Tourneys don't give money for beauty, however). Use this and:

Dash attack
Dtilt if you send them over the edge
Fthrow if you sent them into a wall
Edgeguard if you threw them over the edge (Using moves such as Dair and Fair)

Up throw (6%)
This is a cool throw. That is all. Actually, it has uses. The problem is, Ike retrieving the sword out of the ground is done while the opponent has control of his character. As such, you must act fast. Fortunately, you can use the low knockback to follow up with:
Up Air (This is especially effective done of platform's such as the top one of BF, as this becomes an inescapable 23% combo)
Dashing or Standing Up Smash
Up Tilt

That's it for the throws, really, but done correctly, it will give you more damage dealing, control and fluidity in your game.

This next section is for advanced throwing techniques, which I shall update whenever new ones are found:

The Penguin Throttle

The Penguin Throttle is a technique that can be used to give some of King DeDeDe's medicine right back to him. Done correctly, it will result in King DeDeDe not being able to move, escape or do anything out of Ike's and ONLY Ike's grab. To use this technique, Ike must be standing on a level platform, a ---- shape. DeDeDe must be on a higher sloped / platform, such and in Yoshi's Island Melee. The practical uses of this technique include using it on a moving stage (Such as Delphino) to get it to switch to the next part (At which point D3 escapes) so you don't get wall infinited. It can also be used as a suicide on Big Blue and other moving stages, hold them as you both go off (Or just throw them off and make it back...). Other practical uses include Team Battles and holding them there so they get damaged by a stage hazard (Corneria lasers, for example). Using it to stall the match is, unfortunately, not legal.

Green Greens Slide:

Fthrowing into a bomb on green greens makes the opponent take much damage and makes Ike slide a fair bit.

Well, that's all for now, any opinions?

DashNoob

Smash Cadet
Apreciate, but honestly we all know Ike is great as a team mate or in a FFA match. you can try to refuse that but at the end of the day all most people can say is "play smart", as if playing smart was reserved for ike players.

Anyhow, im sure to use this in FFA

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I highly agree t hat Ike's grabs should be used a lot to rack up damage. Not only is his grab motion quick, but the majority of his moves have low knockback power which is exactly what you need for Ike to follow-up with.

I also want to note that using the F-throw or B-throw off the edge is a good way for Ike to gimp their recovery. As said before, they have low knockback power, while the rest of his moves high high knockback power.

An F-throw off the edge will likely make the opponent do a 2nd jump. After that 2nd jump, Ike is ready to punish. A B-air or D-air will likely do the job and kill their recovery, if not just all out kill them. (Granted floaty characters like ROB, Kirby, Metaknight, etc. won't be as easy).

•Col•

Smash Champion
Ike's grabs are useful... o-o Do people really not use them that much?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Usually the Ike players I see (that don't suck) are more in favor of spacing with f-air.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Usually when I DThrow, I stalk them on the ground to bait the opponent into airdodging, then get an early USmash on them for punishment. I use FThrow much more than the rest of Ike's throws, however; FThrow -> dash attack is extremely effective if you use the control stick + C-down to get it off fast.

To make this analysis better, you should include when you should use which grab to get your opponent. I find that mixing up running grabs with pivot grabbing is an effective way to confuse your opponent; if you run past your opponent while they spot-dodge, they are easy prey for a pivot grab.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Just to say any decent Ike user should know how good his grab game is, if not you fail. :p Deal with the truth.

Anyway to improve the guide please remove your opinion about how you think Ike is a fantastic character. Seriously that sentence almost made me just stop reading this, you are entitled to your opinion but a thread about his grab game is not the place to put it.

Also remember its not really important how much damage you deal with your grab, because Ike's grab damage sux so you are just trying to set up for more damage.

Another thing, Ike's grab range sucks too. Yeah, grab is certainly not to be overused. Good Ike's tend to space fairs because its more reliable imo, instead of grabbing. Of course grab when you can and then apply this info. Also first jab comes out faster than a grab so yeah.....

Hope it helps

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Usually when I DThrow, I stalk them on the ground to bait the opponent into airdodging, then get an early USmash on them for punishment. I use FThrow much more than the rest of Ike's throws, however; FThrow -> dash attack is extremely effective if you use the control stick + C-down to get it off fast.

To make this analysis better, you should include when you should use which grab to get your opponent. I find that mixing up running grabs with pivot grabbing is an effective way to confuse your opponent; if you run past your opponent while they spot-dodge, they are easy prey for a pivot grab.
I'll work on putting that all in. That said, I totally forgot about pivot grabs.

Ike's grabs are useful... o-o Do people really not use them that much?
Yeah, for the most part Ike should be exploiting range, grabs are just fast damage rackers.

Just to say any decent Ike user should know how good his grab game is, if not you fail. :p Deal with the truth.

Anyway to improve the guide please remove your opinion about how you think Ike is a fantastic character. Seriously that sentence almost made me just stop reading this, you are entitled to your opinion but a thread about his grab game is not the place to put it.

Also remember its not really important how much damage you deal with your grab, because Ike's grab damage sux so you are just trying to set up for more damage.

Another thing, Ike's grab range sucks too. Yeah, grab is certainly not to be overused. Good Ike's tend to space fairs because its more reliable imo, instead of grabbing. Of course grab when you can and then apply this info. Also first jab comes out faster than a grab so yeah.....

Hope it helps
That was a fairly critical post! In any case, this guide was written for all Ike players, veterans may learn a new string or technique, newbies can learn everything.

As for the part where I said Ike was fantastic but balanced, I am leading into one of his problems, namely the grab game. While you might disagree and think he blows, I'm quite fond of him, actually.

I'll put the other stuff in ASAP. Namely when I'm not tired.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
The main reason I use grabs are for

a) shieldgrabbing as punishment.
2) baiting an airdodge.
III) pivot grabbing dashing approaches and Sonic.
four) putting people off the stage to set up aether spikes for stupid people who jump back, walk-off d-airs for the smarter people who let themselves drop to upb the edge and d-tilts for idiots who jump back after letting themselves drop. Sliding pivot grabbing works well for this.

Yeah, his grab game is pretty standard issue besides the whole "craptacular range" thing, to be honest.

D

Deleted member

jab jab grab, pummel until release, release, jab jab jab.

free 25%.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
or Grab > F-Throw > Grab > F-Throw > Grab > F-Throw off stage > D-air.

It's a wannabe-chain grab, but it works when they don't expect it.

XACE-K

Smash Master
or Grab > F-Throw > Grab > F-Throw > Grab > F-Throw off stage > D-air.

It's a wannabe-chain grab, but it works when they don't expect it.
Ever heard of DI?

Also running pivot grabs greatly improve Ike's grab range. It still want be amazing but it's better than his regular grab range.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Bleh. Ike has mediocre grab options. At least his grab range isn't terrible.

The one thing I like doing with Ike is U-throwing someone to the top platform of BF and U-airing them. If done right, it's inescapable and a free 23% on the enemy. By inescapable, what I mean is either they fall on the platform facedown and you hit them before they get up, or they tech it, and the lingering hitbox of the U-air destroys them anyway.

XACE-K

Smash Master
"It's a wannabe-chain grab, but it works when they don't expect it."
If you get at least 2 f-throws or if they're smart enough one, I'm pretty sure they would expect it and DI. If the person you're playing really sucks than you can do that all the time and they still wouldn't know what to do.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It's still an option to use. I never said it was DeDeDe awesome, but it's still an option to add into your arsenal.

Never said you can do it all the time either because the fact is that you're supposed to rarely do it so you can add in the surprise factor. One big quality about being a Brawl player (especially as an Ike mainer) is to do unexpected things.

XACE-K

Smash Master
It's still an option to use. I never said it was DeDeDe awesome, but it's still an option to add into your arsenal.

Never said you can do it all the time either because the fact is that you're supposed to rarely do it so you can add in the surprise factor. One big quality about being a Brawl player (especially as an Ike mainer) is to do unexpected things.
Good point. Brawl is all about mindgames IMO.

D

Deleted member

Well, except for the problem of shielding between jabs, but yeah. It's worked for me for the most part.
you can say the same for anyone in brawl due to the broken shield mechanics.

take what you can get.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Ah, sorry bout that guys. I was away for a bit.

I'm quite thankful for the input, I'll be sure to put all of that in.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
The jab cancel to grab is jab > dash > grab, or jab >shield > grab

That F throw > grab thing is crap and it isn't even an option why would anyone just stand there? plus Over half of the cast has a projectile they could use to stop you since all your doing is running.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Hey guys use fully charged eruptions on MK trough out the whole match and don't stop if they approach you just keep on charging, its worked on my dog more than once.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Your sarcasm is full of fail.

There's no need to bash a tactic that has worked for me against other players. If you don't wanna use it then fine, but you're the one being immature about it.

Continue using your failed humor please.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
It DOES work for a little while if it's against a wall, but that's about it. No one in their right mind would wait to get thrown again, and even so, they'll catch on.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The people I went up against wasn't in their right mind then, cause I was able to do it twice successfully which allowed me to get a quick kill. (They complained about it after that).

Keep your arsenal open. You don't know when it could come in handy.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
@HeroMystic look just because a tactic works/has worked for you, doesn't mean its viable. I've gotten f-throw>f-throw too, but once your opponents realize all the options they have, this becomes a risky maneuver. With proper conditioning and developing of the match this may become viable, but that's only because of what we call "mindgames."

What you guys are trying to accomplish is tactics that are guaranteed or mostly successful on damaging the opponent without factoring in "mindgames" b/c with it everything's possible. So Arturito had some sense when he was bashing you.

@Arturito Man, shouldn't you be passed bashing people like that by now? That was a bit harsh.

@Umbreon I think I read somewhere that shield comes up in 2 frames and Ike's jab comes out on frame 2 also, so I guess you can land a grab release>jab combo if they aren't perfect in timing their shield.

@YagamiLight The reason why I said you shouldn't put up your opinion of Ike is because its a fact that Ike isn't great, and you might get written off as being a noob by experienced smashers you have seen more than enough of their share of noobs going Ike=God tier. I'm not saying you are a noob like that, but instead that you might prevent veterans from contributing. But its minor as I'm sure nobody really cares besides me.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Use whatever you can to win.
If your opponent lets you uthrow to aether, by all means AETHER!
Fthrow chain does work (or for me it does), I've done it several times.

Set your opponent up for a fsmash.
I don't know how many kills I've gotten from that because I predicted someone's dodge/airdodge.

Just use all that Ike has against whoever lets you do what he can do.

D

Deleted member

Keep your arsenal open. You don't know when it could come in handy.
I agree completely, free damage is free damage. I often go for 2 in a rowwith a couple pummel hits in there too.

Also, Ike recovers faster than his opponent upon grab release, so it isn't a mistimed shield. However, if the opponent is a very floaty character and DIs away upon release, or if they do the jump release instead of the standard one, it obviously won't work. That being said, it works about 90% of the time with a character that doesn't have much of anything reliable.

And screw you, Ike is an AMAZING character. Way better than people think he is anyway.

edit: charged eruption is great vs MK, he has to dedicate to all of his attacks so hitting him with eruption is easy, and even a non-charged one kills him at gay damage.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Practicality needs to be explored for the character. There's a reason marth's down or fthrow chains into itself at low%s and is considered a valid tech chase whereas ike's does/is not. Ike is a slow runner, the things a person could do before you get there far outweigh what they can do before marth does. If your friends are being caught by 2 fthrows on the regular, your friends suck.

XACE-K

Smash Master
If your friends are being caught by 2 fthrows on the regular, your friends suck.
Agreed. The highest I ever got was 5 because I was playing on a stage with walk-off ledges and killed my friend. My friends really suck.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
@YagamiLight The reason why I said you shouldn't put up your opinion of Ike is because its a fact that Ike isn't great, and you might get written off as being a noob by experienced smashers you have seen more than enough of their share of noobs going Ike=God tier. I'm not saying you are a noob like that, but instead that you might prevent veterans from contributing. But its minor as I'm sure nobody really cares besides me.
Oh, I didn't meant to give any impression that Ike was god tier (Though I do think he's actually quite good), what I meant to do is show that his underused grab game prevents people from seeing all there is of him.

That said, the first post has been updated.

Top Bottom