• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab release Upsmash

M@v

Subarashii!
So I was playing M2k in some friendlies, and I remember how he fell for grab release upsmash when Azen pulled it. So I used it, and we got into a discussion if its guaranteed or not. Hes convinced that if the MK is released in the air, its a guaranteed upsmash with no possible way out. If its a ground release nothing happens. To get an air release, The MK player has to struggle to get out and at some point push up on his control stick. I'm still not 100% sure about his thoughts. Discussion?

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
Im not one to know the exact frames for this sort of stuf, but i should be able to test it out some and, like i always do, make a video of it :p

Levitas

the moon
If it requires a boost upsmash, debug is useless. For some reason, boost usmashes don't happen when you're going frame by frame, presumably because there's a time counter that is independant of frames.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
IF MK pushes up on the control stick - IF IF IF IF IF

It is GUARANTEED with a Boost Usmash. Otherwise, fail groundrelease.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
OMGoodness... this is simple... the MK HAS TO input jumps in order to air release, if NOT then he will ALWAYS ground release. The upsmash on MK is 100% guaranteed after the air release WITHOUT boost smashing. I tested this a billion times with Pierce and Umbra back in NJ about 4 months ago.

Area_6

Smash Journeyman
I never knew this :(

So when Mk is released and he does NOT input jump is he in range for a ftilt or anything of that nature

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
suffice it to say:

there are better options you have from a grab than hoping for a grab release. I mean, sure, it's nice if the MK jumps out, but that's a pretty huge if.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Who the hell is going to push X or Y in the middle of mashing out?
I've heard it's more dependent on the grab attacks rather than the button combination. It could be a little of both but when I tested it, it worked 100%. If you spam grab attacks you will always get a ground release but if you pause for a bit, it forces an air one. No jump was pressed.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
thats only if their feet are not touching the ground. taller characters can force an air release on shorter ones. if they are the same or close to the same height it will ground release
if they break when you pummel they will always ground release

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
thats only if their feet are not touching the ground. taller characters can force an air release on shorter ones. if they are the same or close to the same height it will ground release
I see, thanks. I will test that.

Props to the Ranma avatar.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
yea exactly that too... MK's feet do look like they are off the floor but they really aren't.
and do not test on CPU's they always have jumps inputed when they are breaking out of grabs.
sry but fox just isnt tall enough to force one. ima keep telling everyone this because Umbra(zodiac braves) mained MK for 3 months and ive tested it for an entire 4 hours at one time. I kno exactly what im talking about.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
So I was playing M2k in some friendlies, and I remember how he fell for grab release upsmash when Azen pulled it. So I used it, and we got into a discussion if its guaranteed or not. Hes convinced that if the MK is released in the air, its a guaranteed upsmash with no possible way out. If its a ground release nothing happens. To get an air release, The MK player has to struggle to get out and at some point push up on his control stick. I'm still not 100% sure about his thoughts. Discussion?
WTF @ this racist *** sig

Fuhck you

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
I've heard it's more dependent on the grab attacks rather than the button combination. It could be a little of both but when I tested it, it worked 100%. If you spam grab attacks you will always get a ground release but if you pause for a bit, it forces an air one. No jump was pressed.
k this might be a stretch, but hear me out.

what if the pummel actually causes the opponent's feet to be 'off the ground' for a few frames? as in, there may be a specific timing to force a jump release with a pummel. it may not be worth it to bank on it in a tourney, but options are always nice -- especially when they lead to a free upsmash.

Top Bottom