• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Release to Spike Against Thirteen Characters (Including MetaKnight AND Snake!)

Mmac

Smash Lord
Well, EggLay does damage and gives him back his Cypher when he hatches. However if it's interrupted by the Cypher, then he's screwed.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Here's a problem I'm having with Snake: I simply can't seem to find the right positioning so that he can't safely get back after being tossed off the stage. It seems like he's always about to either jump over me to get back on, or is out of the reach of my tongue and just gets the ledge...

Mmac

Smash Lord
Here's a problem I'm having with Snake: I simply can't seem to find the right positioning so that he can't safely get back after being tossed off the stage. It seems like he's always about to either jump over me to get back on, or is out of the reach of my tongue and just gets the ledge...
Yeah, that should be happening, I don't think you were doing this 100% on the ledge. if he jumps right away, then the best course of action is to intercept/scare him with a Nair/Fair, then retreat back to the edge and grab him

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I think that might have been my problem - I don't think I was intercepting him as he jumped. Part of the problem is that I play online a lot (not all the time, mind you), and as you know there's a lot more predicting and a lot less reacting involved. I'll be careful of this, though.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I want you to test Peach. I seem to be able to spike her from a short hop when I am at the tip of the edge. Even if she nairs, she seems to get spiked.

Wingy

Smash Rookie
Great job! I tried this out today and it worked like a charm. For awhile I thought I was pretty rare to be using Yoshi as a main but look at all of you guys! Great jobs, you're a great amount better than I am.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
I was playing around with dojo (He' s on the texas power rankings) not too long ago,
and with metaknight its possible for him to DI away from the stage to avoid being spiked,
sorry but its true :'(

Yeah, that should be happening, I don't think you were doing this 100% on the ledge. if he jumps right away, then the best course of action is to intercept/scare him with a Nair/Fair, then retreat back to the edge and grab him
true too, this would work against someone who hasn't played a yoshi probably, but most snakes know now that they're going to get grabbed if they approach from the sides, and spiked if they approached from below, thats why most snakes recover away from that stage now and come in off the top.

Example: Yoshi grab releases snake from the edge, snake will then double jump AWAY from the stage to avoid a spike/nair, and then up-b immediately towards the stage so that he comes back from the top making it impossible to grab him out of cypher.

D

Deleted member

Furbs, whyd u move back to texas! We never got our dittos =(

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Can Link not airdodge and zair the edge? Link can zair out of airdodge at any moment so couldn't he just airdodge and DI towards the stage for zair range?

Mmac

Smash Lord
Can Link not airdodge and zair the edge? Link can zair out of airdodge at any moment so couldn't he just airdodge and DI towards the stage for zair range?
Wow, I didn't know that he can Zair out of Airdodge.

I'm probably going to do a revision anyways, I found more stuff on more characters and it really isn't about Spikes anymore

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
Furbs, whyd u move back to texas! We never got our dittos =(
lol, we got like 5 seconds of a ditto in :(
sorry i couldn't stay after though, they kicked us out and edrees was my ride :O
speaking of which im housing edrees for HOBO 11 here in houston,
u need to come to a HOBO!!

but yeah the only dittos i've had were against bwett, and we went pretty even, :)

EDIT: my mom lives in california, so whenever i get breaks from college im up there! lol so this christmas-ish time, ill be back :D

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Wow, I didn't know that he can Zair out of Airdodge.

I'm probably going to do a revision anyways, I found more stuff on more characters and it really isn't about Spikes anymore

O.....um..... http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u3sUOShcI at 4:13

Notice how he does the airdodge with the bomb in hand and zairs out of the airdodge.
It can be done with or without a bomb.

Couldn't he just DI towards the stage doing airdodge > Zair like that? Or can you not DI Yoshi's CG Release at that point.

I play both of them so i feel like i have some insight into the match up.

Instead of trying to F-air Link I would try to dair it. and hope Links bad recovery screws him over...I've personally found it more useful but well....It's Link. It is a tough matchup for yoshi.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I thought I did listed it as Dair. I guess I forgot to change it... or a Typo :S (F is by the D)

Yeah, anyways if Link cancels out his Airdodge while Yoshi's Dair is close, then he wont Tether and just get hit by the dair

Edit: Wait, I didn't listed it as anything O_o

J4pu

Smash Champion
The 0% kill on Falco makes me sad but it's nice to see yoshi getting something useful.
Now Furbs won't bother using a secondary so I can't CG him, or so I assume.
I'm expecting you out here for Xmas Furbs

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
The 0% kill on Falco makes me sad but it's nice to see yoshi getting something useful.
Now Furbs won't bother using a secondary so I can't CG him, or so I assume.
I'm expecting you out here for Xmas Furbs
haha j4puuuu, watsup? you need to go to tournaments! also sethlon dropped the bird :'(

although falco can CG yoshi, but the super armor on the double jump can negate the spike, and after 35% falco has to rely on a legitimate kill and not a gimp (most of the time)

typically when sethlon and i play i usually die at 175-85%, whereas i kill him at around 130%, so after that first 35% falco has to work for his KO

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I was reading this when I happened to fight my friends Wolf with me messing around on random. I got Yoshi and I must say :3 got this on my first try and he went "WTF" when I won.

I thankee for discovering this.

J4pu

Smash Champion
haha j4puuuu, watsup? you need to go to tournaments! also sethlon dropped the bird :'(

although falco can CG yoshi, but the super armor on the double jump can negate the spike, and after 35% falco has to rely on a legitimate kill and not a gimp (most of the time)

typically when sethlon and i play i usually die at 175-85%, whereas i kill him at around 130%, so after that first 35% falco has to work for his KO
I heard Sethlon abandoned us Falco mains, wth man? he mained Roy in melee, not a top tier. Anyways, yea yoshi's CG sounds more dangerous but Falco has the advantage in the rest of the match-up, just gotta watch out for those wicked pivot grabs.
I'm gunna start hitting up any and all tournaments within a 30 minute drive once I get back to school, sadly TX is a bit out of that range, so I'll have to wait for you to come here.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace

I saw that coming, who does he main now?

I'll be at HOBO as well, so add another Yoshi to the roster :D

D

Deleted member

O snap, burntsocks, if you came to texas, that would be totally insane lol
lol, we got like 5 seconds of a ditto in :(
sorry i couldn't stay after though, they kicked us out and edrees was my ride :O
speaking of which im housing edrees for HOBO 11 here in houston,
u need to come to a HOBO!!

but yeah the only dittos i've had were against bwett, and we went pretty even, :)
Ermmm, im kinda young to be traveling to texas for a tourny =P BUT, there is the smallest chance that i will go out to dallas for my cousins birthday, and there is the smallest chance that i could also go to a tournament while i'm there. Not likely tho. Lol.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
lol its all good I travel between texas and california quite often,

@clueless: I told him to go Pit, sense Pits metagame is kinda lackluster and sethlon is pretty creative, but he said he really wants to go meta :(
also, 3 yoshis at one tournament? thats gotta be a record :p

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
lol its all good I travel between texas and california quite often,

@clueless: I told him to go Pit, sense Pits metagame is kinda lackluster and sethlon is pretty creative, but he said he really wants to go meta :(
also, 3 yoshis at one tournament? thats gotta be a record :p
Sethlon really just hates losing, so Meta would be the obvious choice. He is tired of having to work pointlessly hard for a win, and that is just what happens when you pick anything below less than the absolute best. If I hold a tourney, Meta will be banned. I don't care how many people don't show because of it.

This is the wrong thread for this discussion but eh...too late. I've already typed it.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
too bad he was an inspiration for lower tiered players
tgm=the new sethlon LOL

lol seriously though on topic, the grab release spike ISN'T 100% there are ways out of it :p

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
lol, i'm sorry it's not what people want to hear i know, but snake can just jump away from the stage and up-b to the top (avoiding a grab too) and meta can DI away :(

Mmac

Smash Lord
If he goes backwards, then it sounds like he'll only just make the ledge. Why don't you just grab him on the way down?

Gindler

Smash Champion
Tis true, I had a metaknight footstool me when I tried it. Of course he was getting practice to avoid it and I was on the very edge instead of having that little bit of running room....idk, it was kinda embarassing getting footstooled going to the kill like that.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
If he goes backwards, then it sounds like he'll only just make the ledge. Why don't you just grab him on the way down?
he can up-b and make it above the stage, and safely avoid the grab. and no he usually makes it to a good portion of the stage, trust me spike release on snake doesn't work on snake irl.

Mmac

Smash Lord
he can up-b and make it above the stage, and safely avoid the grab. and no he usually makes it to a good portion of the stage, trust me spike release on snake doesn't work on snake irl.
You're not suppose to spike him you know.

I still dont know how if he's carrying backwards momentum in his Cypher, then I don't see how he can make it far enough.

Plus it sounds like he's still vulnerable to a rising Nair/Fair

D

Deleted member

Airdodge? Seriously, it doesnt work, unless they arent expecting it and dont jump before they up b which would be really dumb.

Mmac

Smash Lord
But they can't make it back unless they jump right away. The problem for Snake is that it's too linear. Getting him to jump and/or to use the cypher is what you want him to do. Even if he Airdodges it, he'll miss the ledge and forced to use the Cypher anyways (If he didn't already use it).

Another thing you could probably do is just pester him with Eggs, until he gets too high so that he doesn't get pestered anymore (Taking about 50% Damage) or drops down to avoid the eggs, and into your trap.

The entire point is to NOT to spike him, but rather put him into a position where he can be grabbed out of the Cypher

Top Bottom