• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
He's a very good character in doubles, and I find that playing defensively with most partners is best. You HAVE to not take damage. That is KEY. My best double results came from teaming with an extremely aggro mk player who I ALWAYS let lead. Then, I supported by keeping stocks and punishing people who tried to punish him, giving a ton of damage, conserving my stocks, and protecting my partner all at the same time. I feel that's when he's at his best.
This times 1,000. Play with a skilled MK, or GaW who knows how to go aggro and you can get pretty far. I mean there are other good partners but I feel like defensive/passive D3 + agressive/assertive MK = Win team.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I need some help.

My friend, 2fast, has recently figured out that if he plays as Mario, his best option is to camp with fire balls. I have no idea what to do against fireball camping, and there's actually a good number of marios in this area, so any tips on how to deal with camping projectiles in general would be greatly appreciated, especially if it were some mario match-up. Though I still win most of the time against him as Dedede, I feel like the matches are closer then they should be.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
I have a power-ranked Mario in my region, who I have the benefit of living close to (we go to the same school), so I get to play him quite often.

Play with patience. Mario's only real advantages on us are if he can get in early he can rack up a bit of damage on us quickly, and I guess if we recover recklessly he can cape us then FLUDD us. If he's actively going for the low-percent combos (usually with a Fireball approach or similar), that's a high risk-reward situation for him, as we completely outclass him at close range otherwise. All I can say is be smart, and try to be safe - learn to recognise how they use Fireballs to approach and the appropriate punish/retreat.

After this, like you said, they will run away in desperate fear of not getting grabbed. Take it slow - walking shield, ftilt clashes and occasionally jumping tend to Fireballs for the most part. Don't lose your cool and make a mistake. When you get close enough, do your usual stuff - RAR bair and all that. My Mario tends to pick Final Destination against me so he has the most room to run away (despite how odd FD against a Dedede sounds). If you do manage to get a grab here, that's an easy 50% or so. Platformed stages do help against Mario's camping.

Actually, like all of Dedede's matchups can be described with 'patience.' Not sure if I helped all that much.

Also, I believe we gimp him fairly well. They'll usually use Fireballs to ward off edgeguarders, so try to come in from above and fall on him with a bair. They can't afford to recover really low to avoid this.

Coney

Smash Master
you can bair the fireballs

that's pretty much all you need to know to get past fireball camping actually, heh

ZTD | TECHnology

That and F-Tilt as long as its spaced properly. You don't want to do it when Mario is close by of course. But I've learned that Mario's Fireball leaves him pretty open at times. Sometimes I will take the 5 or 6% hit so I can get inside and grab.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
^This is true^ At low percent, fireballs can leave Mario in more cooldown lag than you're in from taking the hit. It's quite depressing...

Coney

Smash Master
oh yeah, forgot that ftilt clanks too

if they're grounded you can ftilt to clank and in their lag buffer a pivot grab

hilarious

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Whoops, forgot about bair. Get close enough so that it both cancels the fireball and hits the Mario, and you're all set <3
I should consider getting some games recorded with my Mario friend... too bad no one cares about Mario.

You guys still exist! <3
What, D3 players? Asking questions is always the best way to promote some activity :)

Skel'D3

Smash Cadet

Tmacc

Smash Lord
I really enjoyed these, I've never seen you play. Good stuff! How do you platform cancel with D3 so consistantly?

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
You're not buffering the dash quick enough. Start your dash about the time that Dedede starts to get up off the ground and the opponent gets knocked away.

Also, I see you're Australian. You should go visit the Australia boards and check out Shaya's 'BOOST' thread for Sydney. imo. (:

Skel'D3

Smash Cadet
I really enjoyed these, I've never seen you play. Good stuff! How do you platform cancel with D3 so consistantly?
Well... With the C-stick lol, you have to Dair but the timing is... Strange. Is not easy as with Marth but after 10 or 20minutes it's okay :)

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Well... With the C-stick lol, you have to Dair but the timing is... Strange. Is not easy as with Marth but after 10 or 20minutes it's okay :)
Do you have any visuals that help with the timing? Because I have no idea when to do it and have never been able to figure out how.

ZTD | TECHnology

I would also really like to learn how to do this. It's time I make my D3 more technical and scary. This weekend helped me realize I have a lot to work on.

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
Hey Skel, can you do it after a second jump? Because I can only do it with a full hop on the stage, don't know if it's me or DDD really can't do it offstage.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Thanks

Whats buffering by the way?
It's like... Input an action during the final 10 frames of a previous action, and the next action will come out on the first possible frame. So in your case, if you input a dash during the final 10 frames of dthrow, you'll start dashing immediately after the dthrow ends. Sorry if I can't explain well ;~;

Also I've heard that characters with multijumps can platform cancel on their double jumps, but it is extremely difficult. Personally, I've never been able to do it. Platform canceling with dedede with a full hop onto the Smashville platform isn't that hard with practise (but his uses for it seem somewhat limited). Lylat and some RC platforms are hard to get down consistently, though.

Skel'D3

Smash Cadet
No, DDD has just one jump to do it, so, he had to do a full jump to Platform cancel onstage.

You can't platform cancel if the Platform is too offstage cause the jump of DDD is too short. So Yeah, you can't 7Claus But... When you're on the ledge, after a ledge jump you can platform cancel if you do a Dair immediately

DDD can't platform cancel if he do 2 jumps. You just had to do ONE JUMP or it's impossible.

The timing is strange I said. You don't have to Dair immediatly but wait a bit and after, do the dair.

I don't have visual helps, It's just a question of timing.

So... Hope your understand and sorry for my bad english. =)

Tmacc

Smash Lord
No, DDD has just one jump to do it, so, he had to do a full jump to Platform cancel onstage.

You can't platform cancel if the Platform is too offstage cause the jump of DDD is too short. So Yeah, you can't 7Claus But... When you're on the ledge, after a ledge jump you can platform cancel if you do a Dair immediately

DDD can't platform cancel if he do 2 jumps. You just had to do ONE JUMP or it's impossible.

The timing is strange I said. You don't have to Dair immediatly but wait a bit and after, do the dair.

I don't have visual helps, It's just a question of timing.

So... Hope your understand and sorry for my bad english. =)
OMG I got it down now, its so easy once you get the timing. My visual is RIGHT when D3's feet reach above the platform, that's when I dair.

Do you have any useful applications?

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
It's like... Input an action during the final 10 frames of a previous action, and the next action will come out on the first possible frame. So in your case, if you input a dash during the final 10 frames of dthrow, you'll start dashing immediately after the dthrow ends. Sorry if I can't explain well ;~;
Thanks again, your explanation cleared things up nicely :)

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
OMG I got it down now, its so easy once you get the timing. My visual is RIGHT when D3's feet reach above the platform, that's when I dair.

Do you have any useful applications?

One of the most obvious uses is to grab Wario after he's grab released on the platform, you can even do it with a shield platform cancel. Other than grabbing characters that are on the platform (which is great cause you can do that moving platform CG if you do it on the right side), it can also be used for moving, since DDD's horizontal aerial speed is so bad it's good for approaching from above.

ZTD | TECHnology

Olimar is definitely a tough matchup.

- You need to stay on Olimar and rush him down. Classic defensive DDD does NOT work in this MU. You have to be very assertive.

You can often punish him when he's trying to camp you with Pikmin. Ignore Pikmin when they latch on to you if you get a grab off. Unless its a White. Kill white pikmin immediately. Watch out for Purple pikmin and powershield them when they are being tossed at you.

If you can kill Pikmin latched on to you without risking punishment do so.

Ignore %s in this MU. Its the number one reason people lose to Olimar. You're going to take a lot of damage. Its a fact. Just dont let it scare you or make you play timidly.

When you grab Olimar its almost always better to Back Throw him. Good damage and it gets him the air. However Olimar has HORRIBLE tech rolls. Tech chase ONLY if you feel comfortable doing so. You can profit big time.

Use the weak hit of Back-air to gimp Olimar. It sends him a very bad trajectory that makes it easier to edgeguard him. And get aggressive when you get him off the stage.

You can break grabs by using F-tilt when he has grabbed you. F-Tilt is a very valuable tool in this MU. It may be weak but its great for spacing and every bit of damage helps.

That's all my general advice on fighting Olimar. I did not watch the video you posted because I'm on my phone. I'll look at it later.

EDIT: **** yes I can platform cancel on SV now. But unlike Tmacc I actually use an audio cue to determine when to use the Dair. I use the Dair right after the sound of the initial jump stops. It makes a distinct noise that I never noticed until now. After 15 minutes I got this down pretty easy and y tech skill is trash lol.

Now....I just need to find general applications for this technique :D I am so stoked lol

EDIT2: Um are there other stages we can abuse this on?

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Rainbow Ride and Lylat. Audio cues wouldn't work on either of those stages probably though, due to Lylat's slanted floor and the sheer number of platforms of different height we can do it on in Rainbow Ride.

Any other stages... not really.

ZTD | TECHnology

Well I know I've accidentally platformed canceled on Lylat so that makes sense. I know the timing will be different on each stage so ill just have to use other devices to remember the timing. Its easy though so far so I'm not worried. I just like how this adds options to my game with DDD.

EDIT: Holy **** this is so much fun to do on Rainbow Cruise. You can literally do this on every phase of the stage. I see a lot of potential here!

And Lylat is a little bit more tricky. The middle platform is fairly easy to Cancel on but the ones on the sides are a little bit weirder since they are lower to the ground. Not sure how entirely useful it is on this stage but I'll be doing testing.

Also I can pretty much do this 100% now on SV. Im so stoked you have no idea! lol I've been wanting to learn this **** forever.

ZTD | TECHnology

Jab:Our jab is fairly slow but it has its uses. The multi-hitting part keeps opponents out of our range but I like the second hit of this move the most because it pops opponents in the air. You can Jab Cancel into a Dash Grab using Jab like this.

Dash Attack:This move ***** spotdodgers. If your opponent spotdodges when you come in (thinking you'll do a dash grab or something) then try whipping this out every so often. I've hit so many people with this lol Don't rely on this move though as its super punishable.

Down-Tilt: It has its uses. It's quick and has pretty legit range. It can kill respectably off the side of the stage if you're by the ledge. The fun part is this move is guaranteed on some people after a D-Tilt. See Vayseth's Chaingrab guide for details.

Forward-Tilt:It's a great spacing tool. One my most uses ground moves. It also hits most opponents after a D-Throw.

Up-Tilt:This is a great kill move but it can be hard to land. But it has deceptive range. Use it on anyone who's daring enough to approach from above. It has invincibility frames RIGHT when it hits also.

Neutral-air:: This move makes a funny and decent out of shield option at times. It has a lingering hitbox so it can hit airdodgers. Also at low percents if you fast fall this move you and hit an grounded opponent you can hit combo into Up-Tilt with it.

Down-Air: It's great for harassing opponents below you and has decent knockback,. You should be using this move a fair amount. It makes for a decent approach. Also is you use this move after a Short Hopped Forward-air you wont have any landing lag.

Forward Air: Besides the use I stated above this move has other uses. It has great range and its powerful. It can hit opponents behind you with its large hitbox and covers a large area around DDD so don't be afraid to use this move. I've gotten so good kills off this move while edgeguarding. It's even a decent mixup on the stage.

Up-Air It's straightforward. Its good for hitting opponents above you but its easily SDI'able so you probably won't use this a great deal. I have hit people by Fast Falling it while above the opponent in the air. Since it has a lingering hitbox it can hit people who airdodge.

Back-AirOur most versatile move and one of our best. It can gimp, damage rack, be used for spacing (Wall of Pain) and even kill. It combos into itself also. USE THIS.

Up-Smash: It's not so useful on the ground being really slow. It does kill pretty well and has great range though. I have hit people who like to roll behind me using this move though. The main time Ive ever used this move was to finish off a Wario I've CG'ed to the edge and grab release into it for the kill.

Down-Smash: Great for people who like roll also. Its speed is okay but I really like its range. Also you should check out the Buuman Trap...it *****.;)

Forward Smash: Such a janky move. So slow but so deadly if it sweetspots. Other than a broken shield there are no guaranteed ways to make this connect. Don't use it often but don't be afraid to use it for mindgames. Sometimes charging it helps makes its successful as well as just randomly throwing it out there. Again don't rely on this move as you will get punish mad hard if you miss.

Swallow : I LOVE this move. It's pretty useful for good damage and has nice range. B-Reversaled Swallows **** when your opponent is thinking you will Back Air them. And who doesn't love a good Swallowcide. Never get obvious with it but if you're smart you'd be surprised often you can pull off a swallowcide. Just look at my videos LOL

Waddle Dee Toss: Never use this move close up or you will get punish. But if you're far away it never hurts to throw them. Learn how to angle the throws and you'll see success <3 Plus getting a random Gordo never hurts.

Super Dedede Jump Just use this for recovery purposes and only when you absolutely have to.

Jet Hammer: A funny move but in serious play you won't get this off 98% of the time. Though you'd be surprised how effective a jumping Jet Hammer on an opponent who is on a platform can hit. But only use it like once a match if that lol It's super punishable.

Back Throw:This is an amazing throw. 17 damage when fresh is so good! If you can't chaingrab or just need some good damage use this!

F-Throw: I only use this when I need to toss the opponent off the stage or get him out of my space. Its good damage though.

Up-Throw: Good for a mixup or when you need to get an Olimar or Snake in the air. But probably our less used throw. Not totally useless though.

Down-Throw Do I even have to tell you what to do with this. lol

knche

Smash Cadet
thanks Technical, I'll keep in mind =)

my problem is upsmash olimar... i need have precaution of this. thanks again

ZTD | TECHnology

No problem. Just remember that Up-Smash is their fastest Out of Shield option so you will see it a lot. It comes out faster than their shield grab.You can avoid it though. Down Air outranges it.

ZTD | TECHnology

Yes its that easy.

With most other characters all you have to do is jump while holding down on the Control stick and just release it when your character's feet are just above the moving platform.

OMG H4X

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rustytotallypwns
has anyone ever noticed this? i havent seen it on any guides or anythihg, but that doesnt mean its not known.

i was trying to find new ways to lure someone in to punish them, and i found this little idea. short hop a f-air, then hit down on the c-stick afterwords to make him land with a buffered d-tilt. anyone already do this?

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
has anyone ever noticed this? i havent seen it on any guides or anythihg, but that doesnt mean its not known.

i was trying to find new ways to lure someone in to punish them, and i found this little idea. short hop a f-air, then hit down on the c-stick afterwords to make him land with a buffered d-tilt. anyone already do this?
DDDs have been doing that since the time of Aero.

Top Bottom