• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

Dcold

Smash Lord
Anyone here play Marths often? Could you point me in the direction of not getting 2 stocked by every Marth player? ;-;

I never get space for needles and going in is like, eating a fair/DB. Halp me please :[

sheikamaru

jive
Is there a way to fair while ledge guarding? Sheiks first option is bair when ledge guarding... Well, only option next to tether snapping again. I mean u can drop and fair, but I meant like a reversal or something

Anyone here play Marths often? Could you point me in the direction of not getting 2 stocked by every Marth player? ;-;

I never get space for needles and going in is like, eating a fair/DB. Halp me please :[
Have you ever tried making use of Sheik's crouching? It's pretty good against Marth if they don't space the vertical part of Fair.

Yeah Marth has a solid adv Neutral on Neutral. First thing you want to watch out is grab shenanigans. Needle camp until you are out of that CG death spike. Take the damage from Fair if you have to, just don't get grabbed. Once you are out, you'll be finding your main damage from edge pressure and guarding along with juggles and charged needles punishes (like if they try to Fair backwards or if you shield an Fsmash, just needle away). You can also try reading when they input jumps and nail them, though the reward is pretty eh unless you Ftilt in respects to a jump giving you free Ftilt combos. Just watch out for an UpB if you mess up.

Things to expect and can get some massive rewards are UPB OOS and SideB's from Marth. If you predict an UpB (Some Marth's do it if they think it's a punish, others do it after they bait a shield grab.) Free tipper Upsmash or whatever punish seems to be the best at the time (close to edge? Dsmash and proceed to edgeguard.) SideB can always be punished. Thing is some Marth's are smart about it and do things like mix up grabs, delay dancing blade and such. You can always punish the 3rd hit of it with grab, DA, or Ftilt if close enough.There's also the trick that you get a frame adv if you roll behind and they're in DB2 or anything higher. You can also punish the final hit with DA or Dash grab ( I think) all the time.

So as said before, know your Fair and Uair spacings along with how far Sheik's DJ can go for Edgeguarding and Juggling purposes, with also the spacing of Marth's Fair in prospective( Stay out of range of Marth's Fair and bait it when he's coming from the ledge if you expect it) and keep in mind not to go for a punish all the time. You want to wait for a mistake on the Marth's part first and punish accordingly, surely, and with precision. If you try to punish EVERYTHING Marth does, you'll get the slapped by the sword. If the Marth is smart, you'll have to come up with some mix-up's and force him into bad positions.

Quick Summary: Just remember those wise words of Isai, *don't get hit*, CHARGE NEEDLES WHENEVER YOU HAVE THE TIME, and the patience of my dog about to take a bath. Hint: he HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEES baths.

Yeah hope this helps if at all.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The first jab doesn't actually combo into anything except the second jab, and attempting to not do the second jab can even get you punished in some ways.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Is there a difference in frame advantage between jab cancelling after Jab 1 or Jab 2?
You usually use jab1 to catch your opponent off guard or mess with their timing or reaction, or if you hit them in the air just before they land, otherwise doing jab2 then a mixup is preferable. I love doing jab1, then doing a juked retreating SH, then fairing back into their shield when they've dropped it, great mindgame (even if they stay in shield, if you autocancel your fair it is pretty safe)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I tend not to use jab1 against Marth because he can Dolphin Slash you before you're able to even shield.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not sure, I haven't tried in a while. I think it might, depending on the positioning.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Any tips on the TLink and Marth matchups? Mainly for Marth, how to get back to the stage after I've been knocked off and how to get in and attack. For TLink, just general how should I play the MU.
Thanks in advance!

Dcold

Smash Lord
Tink will outcamp you, rush him down safely. Shouldn't be ridiculously hard since you can running pshield very quickly, and he has to land sometime after throwing those projectiles. Punish accordingly. Pressure him hard.

Scroll up for Marth lol.

Lof

Smash Cadet
I've never played sheik except in the story mode :/ Shes a very combo-y character I assume?

Dcold

Smash Lord
I think you're overthinking it, unless you're trying to do it Cross's way, in which if you mess up you'll hit tipper->side and they won't die. But I'm not the best at either (especially as of recent with a new controller) so maybe others have better tips.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
so how do you guys do the sheik GR to dacus on Metaknight (the point where it actually kills him early)? I'm having trouble getting that spot.
Soon as you see him release quickly do the DACUS inputs. You have a very tiny widow to do it so it's more of a case of just doing repetitions.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Frankly, the best cue I've had is when he's about to do the flip in the air. Doing the boost grab CG is also helpful for getting the timing of how early you can dash.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
How do you know for sure that you're actually boost grabbing ?

And I read in another thread that SV wasn't a good stage for sheik, why is that ?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's easiest to see with Snake, but even w/ Sheik, you'll get a noticeable increase (although slight) in your dash grab range. The ideal timing between the DA input and grab is pretty similar to a late/weak glidetoss, to get a good idea.

On SV, I think it's less that it's bad, and more that she does better on the other neutrals. I personally prefer SV v. MK, since FD gets striked/banned usually and BF lets MK tornado for free easily, while the plat on SV can potentially help your recovery and let you charge needles more safely v. MK.

Dcold

Smash Lord
I think the problem with SV isn't in general, I feel it is MU dependent. In my opinion Sheik needs space to run around and space to breathe. SV is simply too small. If you ever fight a Marth on SV you'll see what I mean. He can get to you in less than a second really and put pressure on you while you really have no where to go. I don't like SV particularly, but I do play on it basically every set.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I just see stages in terms of how much space they afford you horizontally and vertically.

Something like this...

LONG, HIGH:
Castle Siege 2

LONG, LOW:
Castle Siege 3
Final Destination
Pokémon Stadium
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island
Halberd Deck

SHORT, HIGH:
Battlefield
Brinstar
Delfino Plaza Air Platforms

SHORT, LOW:
Castle Siege 1
Smashville
Halberd Air Platform

From there, I pick based on player styles and character traits.

Other times I just pick Battlefield or Pokémon Stadium because I love playing around on the side platforms.

Dcold

Smash Lord
For Grab Release, whenever I input Dacus as soon as he's released, it's too early and I end up Down smashing or falling short with a Dash Attack. I find it best to wait until he's about..a little less than 2/3rds of the distance of the Dacus, then input it. By then there is no chance of making a mistake by putting in the inputs too early. Plus you have room to actually input a dash first and if you mess up your dacus, atleast you get a GR->Dash Attack.

@Norn Who would you actually CP to Delfino? I've never found that stage useful to us.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I would CP Fox to Delphino because I'd feel so bad for actually dropping a game to a Fox that I'd just let him have the set win too.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Best neutral/cp against snake?
Marth?

And does anyone know how many frames b4 u can take an action after an aerial release? Trying to figure out the timing to bdacus out of grab release.

It might be too low to be realistically doable.

Edit: Oh ya and does sheik have a glide toss?

Dcold

Smash Lord
No glide toss, and Sheik does well on the same stages as Marth and Snake, so take them wherever you feel most comfortable. I don't know the frames for grab release, but it's really just get comfortable with a certain point of when a person releases, like when they do a flip or something of that matter. There's a window where you can actually have that sort of decision. It helps with getting it down.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Well i don't really have troubles with grab release but i find bdacus more consistent in tight situations. (more lenient on the inputs in my experience as odd as that sounds). So if i have the option to bdacus i'd like to know lol.

And i see...bf,fd,lylat it is.

Dcold

Smash Lord
I'd avoid Lylat, both of them exploit those platforms alot better than I feel we do lol. Snake has gimicks since you can't see what's ontop of the platforms. And Marth is just a meany. I personally like FD for both. More room to run away from danger imo.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Ahhh i see. Well, i use to be a snake main so the habit of memorizing and remembering c4 locations automatically w/o effort is still there...xD one of the benefits that came from using him for so long haha.

Top Bottom