• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

God **** It! (pardon the pun)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
A lot of Christians/Catholics (not ALL of them, mind you) just want their kids to be faithful no matter what. Even if they're unhappy about it.
And that's EXACTLY why I hold those people in such low regard. I know what it's like having to wait until you're an adult to be happy. Having a shameful childhood... I can't draw any certain conclusions, but I won't be surprised if one day, my childhood really comes back to haunt me one day.

thanortinzak

Smash Apprentice
3mmanuel, it sounds like your mom doesn't care if you're happy or doing something you like, as long as she's convinced that you're faithful to God whether or not you are. I can't follow her logic at all. If you suffer needlessly in life, you have my condolences. A life without independent thought is like... I don't know, but it sucks. If she's forcing you to be a preacher or another related role when that's so clearly not what you want, I have no respect for her.
She's not forcing me to be a preacher. I'm not a preacher in VBS, I'm just a volunteer lol.
Although thats almost as bad, because I feel uncomforatble volunteering for a religious activity.

And she's not a bad person at all. My mom might be a extremely religious person, but she's a good person too.

Oh, and she thinks that I would be happy if I was "faithful to God", and thinks I am faithful to God. THat's why she made me volunteer, because she thought I would like it. If I expressed my objections, she might find out I'm an atheist :(
Well, at least I think my mom has good intentions.

tl;dr: I'm not a preacher in VBS, just a volunteer, but that's almost as bad. Also, despite the fact she made me volunteer, I think she still has good intentions, as she thinks I am "faithful to God" and she thinks faith brings happiness.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
At first, I was thinking, "So what if she finds out you're an atheist?", then I read the initial post. I smell trouble. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be able to hide my freethinking opinion from her for very long. Before I continue, what do you mean by "she's a good person?"

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
At first, I was thinking, "So what if she finds out you're an atheist?", then I read the initial post. I smell trouble. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be able to hide my freethinking opinion from her for very long. Before I continue, what do you mean by "she's a good person?"
"Good people will do good things, and bad people will do bad things. But for good people to do bad things -- that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg

I'm not entirely sure if this applies for this particular situation, but for how he's explained his mom, I think it basically does. Thus, you now know what to say and what not to say.

@mountain_tiger: I'll get to the babies being Atheists thing later, possibly. I'm not sure if I want to yet though, because it will involve a giant rant about an Atheist's 'definition' of Atheism where I basically make myself seem as though I hate Atheists; despite the fact that their definition just simply aggravates me. :mad: I've just had too much of a stressful day to get riled up on the subject. I'd probably say a lot of things I'd regret later. :urg:

john!

Smash Hero
Babies aren't atheists, babies are theological noncognitivists...

Take molecules as an example. Babies don't know those are there, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. ;)

REL38

Smash Lord
She's not forcing me to be a preacher. I'm not a preacher in VBS, I'm just a volunteer lol.
Although thats almost as bad, because I feel uncomforatble volunteering for a religious activity.

And she's not a bad person at all. My mom might be a extremely religious person, but she's a good person too.

Oh, and she thinks that I would be happy if I was "faithful to God", and thinks I am faithful to God. THat's why she made me volunteer, because she thought I would like it. If I expressed my objections, she might find out I'm an atheist :(
Well, at least I think my mom has good intentions.

tl;dr: I'm not a preacher in VBS, just a volunteer, but that's almost as bad. Also, despite the fact she made me volunteer, I think she still has good intentions, as she thinks I am "faithful to God" and she thinks faith brings happiness.

Being faithful to God is the christian's job, not other people's job.

That's the problem with christian based families. The parents are all about the religious doctrine and life lessons that some kids get sick and tired of it and walk away from christianity or religion as a whole.

I voluntered in a christian day camp for kids a few years back . . . I hated it. Why? Because I don't like dealing with kids for hours at a time. Whenever my church has offered that I should volunteer for a kids program, I flat out say no. It's not the way I serve God. My parents are christian, but they don't force me to serve God because that's between me and Him. The problem with you is that you're still relatively young so your parents are going to make you do stuff you don't like. In this case, teaching kids about a god you don't believe in.

@mountain_tiger: I'll get to the babies being Atheists thing later, possibly. I'm not sure if I want to yet though, because it will involve a giant rant about an Atheist's 'definition' of Atheism where I basically make myself seem as though I hate Atheists; despite the fact that their definition just simply aggravates me. :mad: I've just had too much of a stressful day to get riled up on the subject. I'd probably say a lot of things I'd regret later. :urg:
lolwut?

Babies can barely do anything beyound crying and craping themselves. There's no way a baby's gonna start denying or believing anything at such an early stage in their development.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Thank whatever god/gods there are that I am a Deist.

For the uninformed, Deism is the belief that God HAS existed. Heavy emphasis on the past tense. It means I believe he existed, but is no longer among us. In other words, when it comes to the subject of religion, I am on the fence between believing in God, and out-right Atheism. Example being I don't like the practice of praying to God before a Sunday night meal, whats the point of praying to a God that is no longer there to listen?

As far as I am concerned, where as the Christians believe that the second coming of Jesus will mean Armageddon for the world, I find Nuclear Destruction or a sudden catastrophic climate change to be the more likely cause of death for the human race.

Sorry to hear you got caught up in your parents' overblown love for Christianity.

M.K

Level 55
And that's EXACTLY why I hold those people in such low regard. I know what it's like having to wait until you're an adult to be happy. Having a shameful childhood... I can't draw any certain conclusions, but I won't be surprised if one day, my childhood really comes back to haunt me one day.
Not all of us are like that. He just used propoganda to influence your ideas of the Catholics, when the statements he made are relatively wrong and could honestly apply to ANY religion around the world, even the lack thereof (a.k.a, atheism)
I'm Catholic and my entire family is Catholic; however, I have not ever once been forced to renounce my faith in God or anything of the sort. Do you hold me in low regard? I have done nothing for you to do so.
Although I CAN agree that religious extremists can shove it, I don't agree with stereotyping whole religious groups of people.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Not all of us are like that. He just used propoganda to influence your ideas of the Catholics, when the statements he made are relatively wrong and could honestly apply to ANY religion around the world, even the lack thereof (a.k.a, atheism)
I'm Catholic and my entire family is Catholic; however, I have not ever once been forced to renounce my faith in God or anything of the sort. Do you hold me in low regard? I have done nothing for you to do so.
Although I CAN agree that religious extremists can shove it, I don't agree with stereotyping whole religious groups of people.
I find this post funny, being that I (the one who made the post you're referring to) am Catholic.

M.K

Level 55
I find this post funny, being that I (the one who made the post you're referring to) am Catholic.
Okay? You could've been a genetically-enhanced baboon that spoons freshly peeled potatoes into the machines at the Lays Chips factory, I still would've said what I said. :laugh:

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Okay? You could've been a genetically-enhanced baboon that spoons freshly peeled potatoes into the machines at the Lays Chips factory, I still would've said what I said. :laugh:
Oh, I understand that, I was just pointing out something that I believed to be somewhat humorous, being that I was apparently spreading propaganda about my own religion. :laugh:

M.K

Level 55
Oh, I understand that, I was just pointing out something that I believed to be somewhat humorous, being that I was apparently spreading propaganda about my own religion. :laugh:
Everything is propaganda that is non-fiction, every body of text is trying to sell a point. xD

Mewter

Smash Master
Everything is propaganda that is non-fiction, every body of text is trying to sell a point. xD
That is ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous, MK.
Does it look like I'm trying to sell a point? :p
Of course not.

And stop with the :laugh:ing already. :laugh:

And Zaiga, it's interesting to see how the definition of deist varies from person to person. Your take on it was pretty cool, too.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Meta-Kirby, I would only hold you in low regard if you forced your children to do or think things they clearly didn't like for the sole purpose of serving God.

M.K

Level 55
Meta-Kirby, I would only hold you in low regard if you forced your children to do or think things they clearly didn't like for the sole purpose of serving God.
Understandable, that certainly is a practice that would be less than tolerable to the average American. However, I just wanted to add in the fact that it doesn't apply solely to Catholics.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
The Catholics must be known for their micromanagement of others' lives because the media, be it print or otherwise, talks about it a lot. If only there were well-known examples of this with every faith, then everyone would know what you're talking about instead of only me. I'll take your word for it. Someone out there has to know how all the traditional religions micromanage their people's lives, and if that's you, there HAS to be some way you can tell us (or at least me).

thanortinzak

Smash Apprentice
By that I mean that my mom loves me. I think thats why shes making me do these things. She thinks that doing that church volunteering crap will make me happy because she thinks I'm a christian. And she wants me to be christian because she doesn't want to think that I'll go to hell (there is no hell, but anyways), and she thinks I'll go to hell if I'm not christian.

Her intentions are good, that's for sure.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
By that I mean that my mom loves me. I think thats why shes making me do these things. She thinks that doing that church volunteering crap will make me happy because she thinks I'm a christian. And she wants me to be christian because she doesn't want to think that I'll go to hell (there is no hell, but anyways), and she thinks I'll go to hell if I'm not christian.

Her intentions are good, that's for sure.
Please, don't say for a fact that there is no hell. I'm not saying that there definitely is, nor am I saying you'll go to it just because you're atheist, but you can't outright say it as a fact.

Oh, I can already feel the heat I'm going to get for this post.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Please, don't say for a fact that there is no hell. I'm not saying that there definitely is, nor am I saying you'll go to it just because you're atheist, but you can't outright say it as a fact.

Oh, I can already feel the heat I'm going to get for this post.
When you said "feel the heat", I thought you were talking about Hell itself. Anyways, for all I can confirm, Satan could be having a bad romantic relationship with Saddam Hussein. That's how unsure I am about what Hell would be like if it really does exist.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
When you said "feel the heat", I thought you were talking about Hell itself. Anayways, for all I can confirm, Satan could be having a bad romantic relationship with Saddam Hussein. That's how unsure I am about what Hell would be like if it really does exist.
Lol, by heat, I meant people who would be upset with me for it. :laugh:

Anyway, I get what you mean. Catholics describe hell as eternal suffering, but after that, it doesn't really delve into specifics... :ohwell:

I'm a bad Catholic, so if there are any others here, you can feel free to correct me. :laugh:

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Lol, by heat, I meant people who would be upset with me for it. :laugh:

Anyway, I get what you mean. Catholics describe hell as eternal suffering, but after that, it doesn't really delve into specifics... :ohwell:

I'm a bad Catholic, so if there are any others here, you can feel free to correct me. :laugh:
In the worst case scenario, every sinner could go to a different area of Hell based on the condemned soul's own ideas of ultimate eternal suffering.

Darkslash

Smash Master
(there is no hell, but anyways),
We don't know that. There's no proof proving there is or isn't a hell. By definition, Hell isn't a lake of fire. Its more a absence of God, which somehow causes great suffering.

and she thinks I'll go to hell if I'm not christian.
Well, right now, I can see that good person thing is a ruse. People who think like that are scum, imo. You don't go to hell if you're not a christian. All you do is just commit the 7 deadly sins over and over, and that could place you a ticket in hell. Seriously, if your morals are straight and true, and God does exist, your most likely just going to spend a few hundred years in Purgatory, IIRC.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
(there is no hell, but anyways)
Excuse me. That shall be kept to yourself. Saying there is no Hell is saying there is no God. I m not going into religion, because, of course, you say they don't exist.

Point is, keep these feelings and thoughts to yourself. I don't hate anyone, but I really get mad when people say, "Oh, religion is a bunch of crap, there is no God, there is no Hell, only what I believe." This makes me very mad. I don't like that you can't respect religion at all. I respect that you don't believe in God, but when you say that religion is stupid, that does it.

I don't care why you think this, I don't care if you think what I am saying is stupid, I don't care. But you keep those thoughts to yourself and respect religion.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I accept that hell might exist. And the fact that if hell does exist then I'm most certainly going there.

Now, I'm no expert on this thing, but doesn't the Bible talk about being cast into an eternal fire, implying that it lasts forever. It doesn't really delve into specifics, but it mentions 'weeping and gnashing of teeth', and apparently us non-believers get cast into that fire.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Babies aren't atheists, babies are theological noncognitivists...

Take molecules as an example. Babies don't know those are there, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. ;)
lolwut?

Babies can barely do anything beyound crying and craping themselves. There's no way a baby's gonna start denying or believing anything at such an early stage in their development.
That's basically what I said. Only I didn't give it a label for what babies would be and other such things. But supposedly, there's a broad definition for Atheism that basically says it's the absence of belief in dieties. Which is why I was going to rant. Atheism be gettin' all up in mah Agnosticismz, an' I don' lyke it.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
I accept that hell might exist. And the fact that if hell does exist then I'm most certainly going there.

Now, I'm no expert on this thing, but doesn't the Bible talk about being cast into an eternal fire, implying that it lasts forever. It doesn't really delve into specifics, but it mentions 'weeping and gnashing of teeth', and apparently us non-believers get cast into that fire.
i just realized thats like Christianity saying **** you to every other religion

i hope i dont get flamed for that

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I've just thought of something. When I told this Christian friend of mine of some of the atrocities in the Bible, he said, 'Oh, that's the Old Testament. The New Testament renders it obsolete.' If that's the case, then why does the Christian Bible have both the Old and New Testament, rather than just the New Testament?

Also, doesn't it seem a bit unfair that someone has to go through infinite suffering for finite sins? And if you think Jesus was all good and stuff, read Matthew 11:20-24, among other passages.

I can't believe that I was a Christian until around a year ago.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Excuse me. That shall be kept to yourself. Saying there is no Hell is saying there is no God. I m not going into religion, because, of course, you say they don't exist.

Point is, keep these feelings and thoughts to yourself. I don't hate anyone, but I really get mad when people say, "Oh, religion is a bunch of crap, there is no God, there is no Hell, only what I believe." This makes me very mad. I don't like that you can't respect religion at all. I respect that you don't believe in God, but when you say that religion is stupid, that does it.

I don't care why you think this, I don't care if you think what I am saying is stupid, I don't care. But you keep those thoughts to yourself and respect religion.
Excuse me, but I believe the fact he said "There is no Hell", as part of his beliefs, is nowhere close to saying that religion is stupid, not does the fact he is an atheist mean he doesn't respect religion. So keep your inflammatory feelings to yourself.

Also, your probably going to tell me that "Its my opinion, and I am entitled to it" (or a post that sums it up or if you choose to ignore it), then know this.

Just because you strap the opinion label on your words doesn't always give you leeway.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Excuse me, but I believe the fact he said "There is no Hell", as part of his beliefs, is nowhere close to saying that religion is stupid, not does the fact he is an atheist mean he doesn't respect religion. So keep your inflammatory feelings to yourself.

Also, your probably going to tell me that "Its my opinion, and I am entitled to it" (or a post that sums it up or if you choose to ignore it), then know this.

Just because you strap the opinion label on your words doesn't always give you leeway.
This.

Pack it up a take it to school, son. ****.

Zolios

Smash Apprentice
Hmm.

Well, you're acting as this would be a matter of coming out of the closet or something. It's not that hard to say your atheist. I went to church alot as a kid, and when I grew up, I realized something. Religion wasn't initially created because there was a prescence of god or any of his subjects to bring faith. There were just some people who wanted an easy answer for nature.

Also, there are many contradicting religions. I'd be better off without religion, since most war based deaths were on account of religion.

Anyway, tell your parents you don't want to go to church, religious camp, and that you're Atheist. Unlike they are...hardcore Christians. In which case I'd think they'd be stubborn as opposed to their beliefs. Since they sort of pay for you to live, I would wait.

J-man24star

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere, plotting to become dictator of smash w
man, I Feel Pretty Lucky That Both My Parents Didn't Care If I Went To Church And Whatnot.

I Went To Church Through A Good Amount Of My Life As A Teenager Not Because I Was Forced By My Parents, But Because It Felt Like It Would Be A Place For Me To Belong To. And Even Though My Mom Is Atheist And My Dad Is Jewish, They Didn't Mind It At All. In Fact, They Probably Liked It That I Was Going To Church And Hanging Out With Nice Friends There Instead Of Getting Into Trouble. Which Is Good.

I've Read A Good Deal Of The Bible, And The More I've Read It, The More I Begin To Doubt Christianity As A Religion, Instead Of Accepting It More. One Of The Problems I've Had With Christianity Is That A Good Deal Of Its Followers (at Least In My Experience) Believe It Is A Perfect Religion And Superior To Every Other Religion.

It's not "Which is the supperior belief?" It's which is right? Look at Buddhism. It demands that in order to go to Nirvana, you must be Perfectly content. It's against all human reasoning to be perfectly content. You'll always want something afterwords. Another thing. Look at the countries that are built on other religious beliefs. Myanmar ain't such a good place to live in. I'm also sure you'd absolutely hate it if you were a female living in a strict Islamic regime. But look at America. Founded on Christian-Judeo principles, it's THE best place to live in. consider it.

For Example, Why Is Magic And Sorcery Considered Evil And Demonic, Yet It's Perfectly Fine For Jesus To Heal Sick Men And Restore Sight To The Blind? Why Does Christianity Tout Itself For Being Able To Forgive Yourself For The Sins You've Done, But If You Commit Blasphemy Against God It Is Considered An Unforgivable Sin? Basically, Read The Entire Book Of Leviticus. I've Personally Met People At Church Who Believe The Harry Potter Series Is Evil And Demonic Because Of Its Fantasy-like Nature, But They're Perfectly Fine With The Chronicles Of Narnia. That Probably Has To Do With C. S. Lewis Being A Christian Though :/ To Me, I See A Lot Of Hypocrisy And Double Standards In Christianity That Makes The Religion Far From Perfect. I Wish Christians Would Accept That Their Religion Is Not Perfect.

Sorcery and Witchcraft had its roots in Satanic worship. well in a sense, witches called on the power of satan to perform what they wanted to do, which is why Saul had them removed. Now Jesus, I Reccomend Reading More Of The 4 Gospels If You Want To Understand Jesus's Works. Jesus Was God, Therefore Had The Authority Over Demons And Possessed The Power To Do Things Such As Heal The Lame And Blind. He was doing the works of God, not satan. Here's A Verse: 22so He Replied To The Messengers, "go Back And Report To John What You Have Seen And Heard: The Blind Receive Sight, The Lame Walk, Those Who Have Leprosy[a] Are Cured, The Deaf Hear, The Dead Are Raised, And The Good News Is Preached To The Poor. Luke 7:22- Is What Jesus Responded To John The Baptist's Desciples When They Asked For John If Jesus Was Actually The Messiah. Now, Specifically, Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit (such As Saying: The Holy Spirit Caused Me To Do This, It Must Be From Hell) Is The Only Unforgiveable Sin Listed In The Bible. You Can See It In The Pharisees Spirits Reading About Them In The Bible, They Thought Jesus Came From Hell!

Plus, I Believe That Everything Happens For A Reason. There Is Some Logical Reasoning For Why An Event Occurs. This Is Where We Get Into The Problem Of Creationism Vs. Evolutionism. There Is Scientific Evidence That Supports The Theory Of Evolution, From Fossils To Plate Tectonics To Magnetic Pole Shifts To Analyzing Old Dna And All That Stuff. Hell, We See Evolution Every Day. Why Else Are Diseases Able To Mutate And Become Resistant To Antibiotics And Other Drugs? It's Because Variation Exists In Species Because Of Meiosis, Which Creates The Small Chance That A Favorable (or Unfavorable) Mutation Will Result To Benefit The Species.

there's A Thing Called Microevolution That Both Christians And Aetheists Alike Accept As Scientific Fact, It's Macroevolution That Starts The Fierce Debate.

This Is Why I Love Science. You Use Logic, Reasoning, And Testing To Hypothesize Results And Figure Out "why Is This Happening?" I Cannot Imagine Where Humans As A Species Would Be If It Weren't For Science. And Not Surprisingly, Science Has Conflicted Constantly With Religion Over History.

true Science Doesn't Contradict The Bible. In fact, it and the Bible live side by side, unlike this quote i keep on hearing.

Hopefully, Your Parents Will Understand Over Time That You Do Not Want To Be A Christian. Don't Be Bullied Into Converting To Christianity If You Don't Want To. Remember, It's Fine If You Question Stuff. I've Done It For A While Now And I Still Do It To This Day. Question Authority. Nothing Is Perfect. The Best You Can Do Is Live A Life You Know You Will Enjoy No Matter What You Do :)
10 Quote Minimum.

thanortinzak

Smash Apprentice
I've just thought of something. When I told this Christian friend of mine of some of the atrocities in the Bible, he said, 'Oh, that's the Old Testament. The New Testament renders it obsolete.' If that's the case, then why does the Christian Bible have both the Old and New Testament, rather than just the New Testament?

Also, doesn't it seem a bit unfair that someone has to go through infinite suffering for finite sins? And if you think Jesus was all good and stuff, read Matthew 11:20-24, among other passages.

I can't believe that I was a Christian until around a year ago.
Yeah, I agree. It is unfair. After reading the entire Bible, I concluded it was stupid how one had to go through infinite sffering for finite sins.

Oh, and don't worry. I was christian until two montsh ago.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm late, but when Emmanuel says there is no hell, it's just as bad as Catholics claiming there is[/s] hell. So please, let him say what he wants, he's just as able to say what he thinks as religious people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom