• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

FightingGameGuy

Smash Apprentice
IMO, it seems like Sakurai is trying to remove ALL cases of advanced play. Like he just wants this to be another "bare bones" fighting game like Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, or Tekken (but still original and better then any other game none-the-less).
No offense but what on earth are you talking about when referring to other fighting games? These all have explicit advanced techniques in the form of parries, cancels, and stances. When Melee was put into MLG some people went WTF and the smash community had to justify that it had just as many advanced techniques and tactics as other fighting games not that it had more.

Ignorance and blatant fanboyism for the loss. Wow.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
TIP TO ALL NEWBIES: Don't ever play Gimpyfish in Brawl unless you like to get *****. I learned my lesson. :(

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
bowser has 3 taunts and i love all of them n_n

and yeah lesheik got ***** XD that was crazy

EDIT:

just so ya'll know, after tomorrow i'm going to fix up this thread hardcore (make it pretty and easy to read) and do massive updates on stages and character specific stuff, and after that i'm actually going to do my own podcasts about the game so you all can watch and get your information that way on youtube

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Meta knight is looking worce and worce in every video watch. I think hes not as easy to learn as some think.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman

EDIT:

just so ya'll know, after tomorrow i'm going to fix up this thread hardcore (make it pretty and easy to read) and do massive updates on stages and character specific stuff, and after that i'm actually going to do my own podcasts about the game so you all can watch and get your information that way on youtube
Gimpy - there's still some questions left, both character-specific and general mechanics questions, in the questions thread ( http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120062 ). Do you think you can get answers to as many of the rest of them as possible while testing tomorrow?

For reference, here are the remaining unanswered questions:

- Does footstool jumping take away your second jump or does it just give you a free jump in addition to double-jumping? Can you do it while in free-fall state after an Up+B? Can everyone do it or only certain characters?

- Can you C-stick a DAir after the height of your jump without doing a fast-fall? If you use the C-stick for air attacks does it move your character in the direction pressed now, or can you still, say, jump backwards and C-stick an FAir without losing your backwards momentum? Please test this carefully, as the new C-stick changes seem to indicate this may have changed since Melee!

- How does Mario manage to charge FLUDD while blocking as mentioned on the Dojo, since Down+B would make you spot-dodge while blocking?

- Can DK wall-jump now, like he could do in his latest platformer, DK Jungle Beat?

- Can DK still charge his Nuetral-B in the air?

- Does DK benefit from hit stun resistance like Bowser and Ike? What moves, if any, offer this?

- Is ZSS's Down+B that dive kick move like Captain Falcon's? What happens if you do it on the ground? If its not a B move, does this mean airial A moves can now actually affect trajectory?

- When ZSS grabs someone with her Up+B and pulls them toward her, does she automatically go into a grab kind of like Bowser's side+B, or do they just land next to her, or what?

- What does Samus's mid-air grapple do in mid-air when it hits someone now?

- Can Link still block projectiles with his Hylian shield (by just idling or ducking, not pressing block)? Can he block Fox's lasers with it now?

- Does Link's grab take less time to recover if it misses, like Samus's seems to now?

- Does anything happen when you use Down+B while in the air with Peach now?

- Can Bowser move forward and back and/or jump during his Nuetral-B (flame breath), like you can with items like the super scope and fire flower?

- Diddy's Side+B apparantly is some sort of hop forward with a grab then he slaps around his opponent, according to IGN. Can you elaborate on this? Is it blockable? What's its range? Can you throw the enemy after slapping them around? In different directions?

- Is Diddy's banana peels (down+B) the same as the item? How often can you drop them? Do the disappear after a while? Can other people pick them up and use them? Is it really a useful move in some inobvious way (because it seems useless...)?

- Does there appear to be any option to disable irritating stage hazards for more tournament-friendly play? (probably not answerable in demo, maybe a Nintendo rep would know?)

- In general do you find the stages have as little opportunity for classic edge guarding/ledge hogging/spiking/etc. as it seems? Are these techniques going to be less important due to the stages unless everyone plays on the couple stages we've seen that have a traditional layout with grabbable-ledges and opportunities for spiking?

Thanks in advance for any info on these!

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
If gimpy didn't mention this already we found out today that bowser can now aim his neutral B flame. He can make it so that it goes upward and downward(and off the ledge) so it possibly can used as a edge guard.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you weren't supposed to tell them that yet T-T

yeah you can just point bowser's MASSIVELY improved firebreath straight down off the ledge lol uber edgeguard it *****, you can also point it up and catch people who approach with shffls

i saw a pikachu jump at me, so i firebreathed and pointed it up, and dragged him downward with it, it was awesome lol

Zauron

Smash Journeyman

yeah you can just point bowser's MASSIVELY improved firebreath straight down off the ledge lol uber edgeguard it *****, you can also point it up and catch people who approach with shffls

i saw a pikachu jump at me, so i firebreathed and pointed it up, and dragged him downward with it, it was awesome lol
Sweet, that IS awesome! I wondered if that might be possible with the new changes we've seen on aiming things as well as moving around while doing attacks.

Speaking of which, one of the questions I listed was wondering if Bowser can move while doing this - I take this to mean no, he can't since the direction input is used for aiming it.

KirbySSB

Smash Ace
good stuff looking forward to it.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
small update, with link and samus you dont have to land on the stage to get yoru grapple back, you can actually just drop off the ledge and hookshot stall XD

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Dang, day 3s update sucked!!!
lol I feel like we just got a bad DOJO update. It doesnt matter though as long as we get a good update tommorow or the next day. lol

Im almost positive Gamestop will be geting a Brawl demo in a few weeks though.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
If gimpy didn't mention this already we found out today that bowser can now aim his neutral B flame. He can make it so that it goes upward and downward(and off the ledge) so it possibly can used as a edge guard.
You know what my favorite part about hearing this is? Gimpyfish has been playing Bowser for three days now, but it was only just now discovered. There's no telling how many neat little tricks are hiding right underneath the most simple things that people just haven't thought to try yet. I saw Pit shooting arrows straight up and down in midair in one video. Can Link aim his bow? How could we know? Why would anyone have thought to try after not being able to for so long? There will probably be a ton of fun little tricks waiting for us when the game comes out for real.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
few weeks? maybe like a month before the game comes out or something like that at most

also, another update

apparently somebody at nintendo saw the gimpyfish combo video and decided it was too powerful, so they nerfed the knockback of the fsmash T-T

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
So Link and Samus have unlimited amount of grapples?

Gimpyfish, please address the other questions I have about Link if you can. Do you need me to find the page number? It's pretty long...

Thanks.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
small update, with link and samus you dont have to land on the stage to get yoru grapple back, you can actually just drop off the ledge and hookshot stall XD
YES!!!

how far is the grappl...I'll wait for tomorrow ;)

AND YES AGAIN!!!

with great power comes great responsibility (omg I quoted spidey) and you are doing your part well KUDOS to you

Charoo

Smash Champion
Gimpy - there's still some questions left, both character-specific and general mechanics questions, in the questions thread ( http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120062 ). Do you think you can get answers to as many of the rest of them as possible while testing tomorrow?

For reference, here are the remaining unanswered questions:

- Does footstool jumping take away your second jump or does it just give you a free jump in addition to double-jumping? Can you do it while in free-fall state after an Up+B? Can everyone do it or only certain characters?

- Can DK still charge his Nuetral-B in the air?

- What does Samus's mid-air grapple do in mid-air when it hits someone now?

- Does Link's grab take less time to recover if it misses, like Samus's seems to now?

- Does anything happen when you use Down+B while in the air with Peach now?

- Diddy's Side+B apparantly is some sort of hop forward with a grab then he slaps around his opponent, according to IGN. Can you elaborate on this? Is it blockable? What's its range? Can you throw the enemy after slapping them around? In different directions?

- Is Champ Combo still in?

Thanks in advance for any info on these!
the footstool requires you to have a jump. It is pretty much your jump plus a spike/stun on the other person. IF you do not have any jump then you cannot perform a footstool jump. I tried doing this by jumping twice and then do it but nothing happens.

DK can still charge in the air and cancel it by pushing the shield button.

samus just hit people with her grapple beam in the air jsut like melee.

seems about the same time.

Nothing happens.

It's an air grab. Diddy fly forward and then grab the person so you can't shield it. Diddy can also throw them so some people use it to spike people by throwing them down. Although, if you miss with diddy's side b then he'll jsut fall down and die like fox's melee side b.

champ combo is still in. Other people and I already perform this and it still works. You just need to be really fast with the up tilt to up air cause the up tilt stunt is a lot less now.

edit: added the last question

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
TIP TO ALL NEWBIES: Don't ever play Gimpyfish in Brawl unless you like to get *****. I learned my lesson. :(
Hint: He's currently CLEARLY the best SSBB Bowser user in the world, and is one of the best Bowser user in Melee. Hell, for all we know, he's the best SSB64 Bowser user, and he's not even in that game! :laugh:

EDIT:

Alright, good work Gimpyfish! And I saw a video of you playing Brawl...that got me REALLY, REALLY, REALLY PUMPED FOR BRAWL. Woaw, the game is looking good, but very, very diffrent. I like it! :)

That's pretty incredible. I wonder if you could aim Link's arrows, or heck....even ZSS' or Fox's guns like that. That is a major improvement, despite being minimally useful. But in the long run, it gives Bowser that much more firepower (and fire breath! :laugh:)

Awsome new tech, it sounds.

few weeks? maybe like a month before the game comes out or something like that at most

also, another update

apparently somebody at nintendo saw the gimpyfish combo video and decided it was too powerful, so they nerfed the knockback of the fsmash T-T
Woaw...seriously!? Maybe they got your number! XD

legendofme

Smash Journeyman

also, another update

seriously, on the fsmash deal?

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
I would like to know more about Pits Up B (Flying).
What kind of moves can he use?
Can he shoot his bow or attack?
Can he use a 2nd or 3rd jump or dodge after?
Can he glide out of his Up B?
What kind of moves can he use while glideing?
Can he use a 3rd jump out of a Glide?

that just seems really OP if he can attack from off the edge where others can get him.

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Also I would like to know

Can link Pick up a bomb and then fire his bow shooting the bomb too?
Can link fire his bow while jumping?
Can Link aim his aarows up and down like pit can?

sagemoon

Smash Lord
omfg guys calm down. Its like because gimpy was being all nice and stuff and confirming everything he came across, now everyone is like asking him to break down every attack of every character. Im sure gimpy is looking for new things, but let him have some fun demoing the game......

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
well, the first day of the demo i basically just took notes all day long as i played (and the others played)

friday and saturday i played the game solely to have fun and didn't really look for anything specifically

but tomorrow i'll be back to note taking, the update after the last day will be HUGE.

Igneous42

Smash Ace

also, another update

I also got 999% today. Think I may hold the record for first person ever (outside of testing and in house obviously)

dunno how though, I was Fox fighting pikachu, he did something then I used Up smash and killed him, but then my % was 999

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
the footstool requires you to have a jump. It is pretty much your jump plus a spike/stun on the other person. IF you do not have any jump then you cannot perform a footstool jump. I tried doing this by jumping twice and then do it but nothing happens.

DK can still charge in the air and cancel it by pushing the shield button.

samus just hit people with her grapple beam in the air jsut like melee.

seems about the same time.

Nothing happens.

It's an air grab. Diddy fly forward and then grab the person so you can't shield it. Diddy can also throw them so some people use it to spike people by throwing them down. Although, if you miss with diddy's side b then he'll jsut fall down and die like fox's melee side b.

champ combo is still in. Other people and I already perform this and it still works. You just need to be really fast with the up tilt to up air cause the up tilt stunt is a lot less now.

edit: added the last question
Thanks, I'll add them to the questions thread!

Tagxy

Smash Lord
So is wavedashing gone or is there a replacement?

And what's the gimyfish combo?

Charoo

Smash Champion
I also got 999% today. Think I may hold the record for first person ever (outside of testing and in house obviously)

dunno how though, I was Fox fighting pikachu, he did something then I used Up smash and killed him, but then my % was 999
that happen to my friend too on the thursday. Coincidentally he was pikachu also.

Pretty much

he said he did pikachu's down b and stuff happen then his pikachu became 999%. I guess it's a pikachu glitch or something

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
is it possible to jump after a footstool jump? i heard u have to have at least one jump left to use it so that's why i'm asking

Igneous42

Smash Ace
that happen to my friend too on the thursday. Coincidentally he was pikachu also.

Pretty much

he said he did pikachu's down b and stuff happen then his pikachu became 999%. I guess it's a pikachu glitch or something
guess that makes me second, but I was fox not pik, I was fighting pik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom