• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gheb's crazy auction mafia | Game over, Mafia wins

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I just wish i could put into words how i feel.
Like what Laundry did was real selfish. I don't understand the logic behind it. Laundry said he was going to be killed anyways, so he buys two of the items to bring down with him. See if he bought only one that's okay. Because we have another player to use the other item if Laundry was nk'd. I really feel that it's more probably that Laundry is scum.
you realize the mafia kill goes like dead last in terms of resolving night actions right? And he plans in using them tonight?
Hiding from what?

:186:
Second this question

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
well since you responded i may as well gave my stance.

what was interesting was how he came to the conclusion. its incorrect BECAUSE its a strawman of your posts, but the method was very towny/scumhunty of em.

zalak, when you read a player, you gotta look at their posts as a whole through the thread. laundry DOES just talk like this in game (which, while it may not be inherently nice, it isnt a scum tell), so you gotta look at what hes doing all in all. i dont think hes silencing his opposition, rather, his opposition needs to play more mafia (which you did, and quite frankly his response to you is more objective and cooperative (likely because youre playing mafia instead of just starting a pissing contest)). from what ive seen his play just doesnt strike as malicious yet, and if it does ill take notice. but so far your suspicion was the best looking of anyones.

Kursed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kursedx
Hiding from being lynched.
Yep you better modvote me because I have a vendetta against Laundry

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Like, I legit expect a vote like that from slots like Jay and Kursed because they're idiots who don't see my perspective because they have little experience but you biting on it just makes me a emit a vocal sigh.

Oh well. Let's get back to your posts.

Jay: Very similar play to Kursed but I don't have nearly enough to read into his actions like I can Kursed. Had a high interest in the stinkbug despite not knowing what it did at first (which is weird). I want to pressure this slot more as well.
[/quote]
Actually I had a pretty good idea what it did from the start; I only asked to make sure I wasn't making guesses for no reason when elaboration was possible by the mod. If you'll notice, no one asked what I thought it did so I didn't see point in announcing an extra view point for the uninitiated to use.
I mean, I get that. That's part of the WIFOM that comes from me sniping those two shots but you gotta weigh it in tandem with my actions after the fact.

Everything I have on Kursed is somewhat as applicable to Jay but less obvious. He didn't get mad at Rosa like Kursed did, not outright, but he did like the post about it, suggesting that he agreed with the sentiment. He had a marked interest in the stinkbug. I don't have anything substantial but those two actions alone do make me skeptical of the slot.
You had marked interest in the bug, yet you insist that makes you town because you were keeping it out of town's hands. The same logic could be applied to myself.
Also you keep bringing up me liking Kursed's post but never asked why; I'll just elaborate of my own accord. Simply that I found the business of increasing the bid by 1 just to grab the upper hand was pointless and a waste of time. People aren't going to stop bidding because of 1 extra digit; you're going to have to bring it out of their price range. Simple as that.

I just wish i could put into words how i feel.
Like what Laundry did was real selfish. I don't understand the logic behind it. Laundry said he was going to be killed anyways, so he buys two of the items to bring down with him. See if he bought only one that's okay. Because we have another player to use the other item if Laundry was nk'd. I really feel that it's more probably that Laundry is scum.
Honestly I see Laundry's argument as valid from a town point. But his snagging of the items is perfectly from scum point too. That's why I hold it as indicative of neither.

Unvote
Vote Orbo

We can see he's around from his occasional posts, so I'm not holding him to inactivity. Rather, it's how he has been staying outside of much conflict aside from a few questions.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
well since you responded i may as well gave my stance.

what was interesting was how he came to the conclusion. its incorrect BECAUSE its a strawman of your posts, but the method was very towny/scumhunty of em.

zalak, when you read a player, you gotta look at their posts as a whole through the thread. laundry DOES just talk like this in game (which, while it may not be inherently nice, it isnt a scum tell), so you gotta look at what hes doing all in all. i dont think hes silencing his opposition, rather, his opposition needs to play more mafia (which you did, and quite frankly his response to you is more objective and cooperative (likely because youre playing mafia instead of just starting a pissing contest)). from what ive seen his play just doesnt strike as malicious yet, and if it does ill take notice. but so far your suspicion was the best looking of anyones.
He was fairly cooperative, but he continues to insist that he is being accused only because his accusers are inexperienced.

Plus, he hasn't elaborated on THIS yet

As for my read on you, it was because you were taking a weird approach to the game and I had no idea what you're actually trying to accomplish.
Has he never seen someone apply pressure to acquire information? I assume that's not actually what he meant, as that is a pretty standard mafia play, but I want him to elaborate.

Directly after being called out for deflective play.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Mistake at the top^
Like, I legit expect a vote like that from slots like Jay and Kursed because they're idiots who don't see my perspective because they have little experience but you biting on it just makes me a emit a vocal sigh.

Oh well. Let's get back to your posts.

I have no intention of voting you, actually. Ironically I think I'd be more foolish to write you off as town, which you seem to expect.
Jay: Very similar play to Kursed but I don't have nearly enough to read into his actions like I can Kursed. Had a high interest in the stinkbug despite not knowing what it did at first (which is weird). I want to pressure this slot more as well.
Actually I had a pretty good idea what it did from the start; I only asked to make sure I wasn't making guesses for no reason when elaboration was possible by the mod. If you'll notice, no one asked what I thought it did so I didn't see point in announcing an extra view point for the uninitiated to use.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
hell, whos to say that laundry didnt just really want those items as scum? him snatching those two items is indicative of nothing alignment wise from what ive seen.
Ooh boy are you scum too? Don't make this easy for me gorf

Wth the heck? Look at this objectively and you'll see that Gorf is absolutely correct. Why did Laundry suddenly become so counter-offensive?
Yeah, Laundry isn't either from his play.
I'll get back to you later but you're not off the hook either.

Boom, here he goes again.

I've also noticed him calling out his own plays, even when that would make them less effective. This behavior can be seen most prominently in his kerfuffle with Nabe

You're wrong because you assumed too much. To me, being in the background and saying little is your standard fair, but you seem to have a knack for drawing a PR or a mafia role pm along with it so it works for you. That was, effectively, a roundabout way of saying "don't lurk or i'll murder you". I was trying to cut you off from playing like that in the first place specifically to draw you out and see if you were going to play the game or not.

It worked. Thanks Nabe.

get baited nerd

Because I was being specific. I was calling attention to your style of play. Saying "don't lurk" doesn't completely cover it, because you can still make posts while still being tantalizingly safe/null/buzzword/etc.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Zalak makes a valid point. Is Laundry THAT afraid of the newbies jumping on him just because he bought 2 items?

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
You weren't even jumping on him. You just said that his purchases weren't indicative of any alignment.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Not just about Laundry, but our entire situation right now in this game of forum mafia.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Zalak makes a valid point. Is Laundry THAT afraid of the newbies jumping on him just because he bought 2 items?
No. There's a difference between fear and anticipation. I don't fear you guys jumping on me because I know I can defend myself against whatever you guys can bring. I simply anticipated it because you guys are the only ones who I practically assumed would bite on me buying these two items after calling people out for jumping up the prices so much.

Zalak does not make valid points however. Your turn, buddy.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
After they both stated that your purchases mean NOTHING so far to your alignment, you assume they will pin you as mafia because of them? If you know you can defend yourself against whatever they can bring, why not go through it with them? It would only serve to make you seem more innocent. Your logic is completely backwards. This explanation doesn't even come close to invalidating my point.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Not going to let this slid. What about my approach was weird?
Let's go over this because you're so intent on dogging me for every little thing.

Here's my vision of you:

You snipe the neighborizer for 11 grand. Why?

[collapse=your explanation]
I got the neighbor because I like its ability. I don't think you can use that to determine my alignment. It gives every role the ability to communicate secretly with another player. Who does that not help?
I just can't live without a private chat, okay!?!?

Also, Rosalina just made a good point, Kursed.
I'm sure I'll think of SOMETHING
[/collapse]

A whim. There's no plan, no suggested motive for it, but you acted on a whim. That's random as get out.

You do make a push onto rosa but then every single one of your other points is a question:

I believe there's an obvious explanation for why Kursed didn't object to Gorf/Nabe, but I'll let him explain it for himself.
What about it bothers you?
How can you be so sure?
Before your push onto me, this was the bulk of your moves in the game. I have absolutely nothing by which to get a direction on the way you were trying to move. Your snipe of the neighborizer could be described as "random" and then everything else you did gave me no real incentive as to where your motives lie. As a result, I listed you as null with a "what are you doing" because you weren't really doing much of anything of merit at the time and I found your neighborizer snipe weird because I really don't believe you when you say you don't have a plan.

Also:
It's easier to get information from people if they feel like the majority of townies are against them.
Top. ****ing. Kek.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
No. There's a difference between fear and anticipation. I don't fear you guys jumping on me because I know I can defend myself against whatever you guys can bring. I simply anticipated it because you guys are the only ones who I practically assumed would bite on me buying these two items after calling people out for jumping up the prices so much.

Zalak does not make valid points however. Your turn, buddy.

After they both stated that your purchases mean NOTHING so far to your alignment, you assume they will pin you as mafia because of them?

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
He was fairly cooperative, but he continues to insist that he is being accused only because his accusers are inexperienced.
Look at my accusers. I don't know you, so I assume you're inexperienced. I've played with Rosa and Kursed, I know they're inexperienced. I have yet to play with Jay before this game so I assume the same of him. The only other one is Ruy who came at me for that and it left me feeling vastly disappointed with him because I didn't expect him to do that. This is where this whole point (including your #301) falls apart. I anticipated that the four of you were very likely to come at me because this is a thing newbies do. Saying "well we didn't" doesn't matter because it's said after the fact, and therefore doesn't fall into my anticipations.

Plus, he hasn't elaborated on THIS yet
I wasn't at a computer. There's **** I wanted to quote and I wasn't doing that from my phone. Sue me.

Has he never seen someone apply pressure to acquire information?
lmao

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
You snipe the neighborizer for 11 grand. Why?
I really don't believe you when you say you don't have a plan.
When I said I didn't have a plan, I only meant I didn't know who I was going to invite to the neighborhood. I sniped the neighborhood for THREE reasons.
1. I didn't realize the game had started until then, so I kind of panicked and decided I was going to at least bid once before the bidding ended.
2. I loveeee the advantage it gives you. I was mafia in my previous (AND FIRST) game of forum mafia, and having a private chat room is rad. I'm not ready to deal with all of my communication being confined to the main thread. Sneaky team work is important to me.
3. FINALLY, I did not want the scum to get it. Actually, I didn't want any to have a neighborhood that did not include me. I wanted to stay in the loop.

Also, I don't think either of us consider my question asking to be weird. I saw some posts that could have been expanded upon, so I asked questions to further my knowledge.

#HBC | Gorf

well thats his perogative. hes not stopping the flow of information, hes merely partaking in it. i dont see it as maliciously as you do, idk.

zalak said:
Directly after being called out for deflective play.
thats just our jargon. i know he didnt consider that to be me casting suspicion on em, so that extinguishes that point.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Look at my accusers. I don't know you, so I assume you're inexperienced. I've played with Rosa and Kursed, I know they're inexperienced. I have yet to play with Jay before this game so I assume the same of him. The only other one is Ruy who came at me for that and it left me feeling vastly disappointed with him because I didn't expect him to do that. This is where this whole point (including your #301) falls apart. I anticipated that the four of you were very likely to come at me because this is a thing newbies do. Saying "well we didn't" doesn't matter because it's said after the fact, and therefore doesn't fall into my anticipations.
Nothing is falling apart. Even if I consider it very odd that you would anticipate them jumping on you after reading their posts that I quoted, but I can't prove that you didn't. STILL, I don't need to prove that. You still need to explain why you would even WANT to preemptively use counter-offensive tactics against them.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Wth the heck? Look at this objectively and you'll see that Gorf is absolutely correct. Why did Laundry suddenly become so counter-offensive?
This was at the start of the game. Again, my approach has been to make myself a giant magnet and draw in as many people to talk to me or about me. It has been a gigantic ****ing success in that regard as the only person not to talk to me or about me thus far has been Maven and Dietz, both of whom have been largely V/LA. Being stupid and saying dumb things to push people at me is quite effective in that regard. If you'll notice, you and Orbo are the only two that occupied in my readslist and even then, my reads on Kursed and Jay are changing as of now, as well as my read on you.

Boom, here he goes again.
Hilariously, I've said very little on Jay. Oh well.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Nothing is falling apart. Even if I consider it very odd that you would anticipate them jumping on you after reading their posts that I quoted, but I can't prove that you didn't. STILL, I don't need to prove that. You still need to explain why you would even WANT to preemptively use counter-offensive tactics against them.
To get them talking.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Laundry just now:
I have been trying to get everyone to talk about themselves. That's why I've been so deflective.

Laundry only moments before:
I have been trying to make myself a gigantic ****ing magnet.

#HBC | Gorf

Laundry just now:
I have been trying to get everyone to talk about themselves. That's why I've been so deflective.

not sure if serious but i dont see how the two dont work well together, if you are.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Because when I can get every slot talking about me, I can find the scum that way.

and why are you telling us that so early on in your play's lifespan
Because I don't need to hide it anymore. Look around at this thread. Every player in it has commented on me except for the guys who haven't been here. If they were avoiding it (see: Nabe), I directly called them out.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Because when I can get every slot talking about me, I can find the scum that way.
Or you could get them talking about each other. What's the benefit of getting them to talk about you, an alleged townie, if you're going to continue making yourself look scummy as possible.

Because I don't need to hide it anymore. Look around at this thread. Every player in it has commented on me except for the guys who haven't been here. If they were avoiding it (see: Nabe), I directly called them out.
Alright

not sure if serious but i dont see how the two dont work well together, if you are.
because what is the point gorf? what's the connection? how DO they work well together?

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Laundry just now:

Never have I stated I'm trying to get people to talk about themselves. I've been trying to get people talking. I wanted to give people a talking point because it moves the game out of RVS and pulls the nulls off the fence faster.

Top Bottom