• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting seriously worried....

nessokman

Smash Lord
This game has been in progress for only a year, but they are already giving us video june 11th. I feel this is being rushed to help the wii u's suckish sales, but that is the opposite of what they should do. I think they are rushing this way to much and that we aren't going to be happy with it. Unless they did what the developers of the original metroid did and sleep at the office... I don't want them do give us a rushed game, it will not do as well.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This game has been in progress for only a year, but they are already giving us video june 11th. I feel this is being rushed to help the wii u's suckish sales, but that is the opposite of what they should do. I think they are rushing this way to much and that we aren't going to be happy with it. Unless they did what the developers of the original metroid did and sleep at the office... I don't want them do give us a rushed game, it will not do as well.
I don't think they are going to rush it.

I mean, a year and a half is more than enough time to make a trailer and video feed. I wouldn't be worried.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Development of the game began in February 2012, and I bet you anything that Sakurai was already planning things out for the game before development officially began.

EDIT: Also... We don't even know when they're releasing the game or ANYTHING about it. All we know is that there's going to be screens/trailer at E3. Don't see how that's rushing anything at all. For all we know, the actual game won't be released for another 5 years. That being said, even if the game is released within the next year, it wouldn't be rushed really... Smash 64 took about 2 years, Melee took 2 years, Brawl took a little over 2 years...

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
We got the Brawl trailer much earlier than this.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
They can whip up a 1 and a half minute CG trailer in a week or two. I go to University for 3D animation and motion graphics, so I know what I'm talking about.

thaimasker

Smash Rookie
Development for Brawl was only 7 months before they showed a gameplay/cgi trailer at E3...And 6 months ago Sakurai said that he would like to bring both versions to E3...and that was before the Wii U was really sluggish in sales.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You realize that 16 months is an incredibly long development time for most games right? Melee's entire cycle was 13. Brawl hadn't even been in development for very long (definitely not 16 months) before we got the Brawl trailer. Don't worry!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We got Brawl's trailer when that game was in development for only about 8 months; these 2 games have been in development at least 16 months, with a grade-A developer (Namco Bandai) instead of a grade-D developer (Game Arts), with a much bigger, smarter, and more (fighting game) experienced group on a console that isn't just the previous console with motion controls (it's like we're having a two generational jump in terms of power, processing, graphics, and online interface!).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Pretty much what has been said in this thread.

When Brawl was unveiled, it had been lesser time since the game's development started than Smash 4's already had.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Ya as it's been stated above they've been working on this for a while now there's nothing to worry about. This game has bigger teams working on it and a longer development time they're going to have something cool to show us I'm sure.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
There's nothing to worry about. It's all going according to plan...

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am a little worried that they are putting it on two consoles and it is going to be rushed because of that. However, I have faith it will still be great.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Don't worry, the trailer will be awesome.
In fact, they spent these 16 months to create the most perfect trailer ever existed for a game.
They didn't started development for the game itself because they really wanted to make a beautiful trailer.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Brawl was shown less than a year into development. The game took about 2 years total. We don't know this game's release, but if it releases for the Holidays, it will be a little under 2 years.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
They can whip up a 1 and a half minute CG trailer in a week or two. I go to University for 3D animation and motion graphics, so I know what I'm talking about.

I thought your name was TwinkLink, upon further inspection I realized I was wrong, and disappointed.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
1999 - Super Smash Bros
2001 - Super Smash Bros Melee

Not sure if Melee was being worked on before the original game came out, but we only had 2 years between the original and arguably the best version of the game. Maybe not overthinking it is the best.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
1999 - Super Smash Bros
2001 - Super Smash Bros Melee

Not sure if Melee was being worked on before the original game came out, but we only had 2 years between the original and arguably the best version of the game. Maybe not overthinking it is the best.
Melee was rushed out at an unhealthy pace. Sakurai wasn't keen on that development cycle.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Melee came out six months after its E3 trailer and it was the best game on the gamecube besides wind waker
it also had a much smaller production team and not an entire department of a major corporation at its muster

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Besides all that has been said, Mew2king is gonna be personally testing it, so if it blows, we probably will see it get pushed back.
WHERE IS YOUR PROOF

Err I mean I don't think the game is going to get messed up now, but if Namco's hiring for the game, chances are they're going to try and get it out before Spring 2014.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
M2K was on pbnj's stream with Hax, Salem, and a few other people. They were talking about it. I don't remember all of the details but they were talking about him testing it for them (not the Best Buy things going on). He was going to give feedback. So basically, I heard it from Mew2king on stream.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The fact that I feel Sakurai himself said that there's less to add from Brawl to this game than there was from Melee to Brawl is why I think it will be released earlier than most expect.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Smart man here.
he has a larger development team as well
While he may have separate ones and Namco Bandai on board, believe me, it isn't as large as Sora LTD once was. They got a bunch of layoffs after the release of Brawl, and to make it worse, there were even more to follow in the making of Kid Icarus. Brawl was where Sora LTD was at it's peak. It might be close to, but it's not the same.

...Though in all technicalities, that might actually make development faster.

Because idiots.
With all the pre-production after Kid Icarus went gold, it's technically been two years and a third.
Melee came out six months after its E3 trailer and it was the best game on the gamecube besides wind waker
it also had a much smaller production team and not an entire department of a major corporation at its muster
Actually the team from Melee had a good ****ton of animators and programmers. Music composers and others not so much. Melee also had five producers (Including Sakurai) while Brawl had four.

also wind waker hd get hyped

M2K was on pbnj's stream with Hax, Salem, and a few other people. They were talking about it. I don't remember all of the details but they were talking about him testing it for them (not the Best Buy things going on). He was going to give feedback. So basically, I heard it from Mew2king on stream.
Wait... slow down and make that more understandable. Did you say some of them tested it?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
The more time it takes to make the game, the better, along with having lesser odds of seeing major glitches.
hey hey hey

there's entire studios that have shut down or at least have layoffs, especially in the past two gens

let's not kill another great studio and just fix most of this via patching

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
omg

WHY DO SO MANY OF YOU THINK A YEAR AND A HALF ISNT A LONG DEVELOPMENT CYCLE

WHYYYYYY
Because a lot of people don't understand development cycles or how more than a year is considered a very long time for a fighting game. Hell, anything more than a year is considered a long time for most genres aside from full blown adventure games and RPGs and even then the average seems to be about 2- 2 1/2 years.

@ thirdkoopa:

It should be noted that most video game developers in Japan are not permanent workers for particular companies and are generally contract workers hired for particular projects. That being said, they were only "laid off" because their respective contracts expired once the game they were working on went gold.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
hey hey hey

there's entire studios that have shut down or at least have layoffs, especially in the past two gens

let's not kill another great studio and just fix most of this via patching
There are things that patches can't accomplish though. You can't rush perfection, even if what you're making can't truly be perfect.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
There are things that patches can't accomplish though. You can't rush perfection, even if what you're making can't truly be perfect.
in game design there is no such a thing as an 100% glitch-free game (unless you're making something simple on game maker or something)

There are still things that patches, among other things, can accomplish today. I get what you mean in having to test just a bit more, but they have no reason to be pushing to say 3-4 years, especially since a good deal of them might not have jobs once it's over.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Then I suggest looking at how heavily flawed Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was, due to being so rushed. We can't have that happen with Super Smash Bros..
Yes let's compare the development cycle of one of the most notoriously ****ty games in history to the development cycle of a Super Smash Bros game. Sonic 06 was plagued with people quitting and Sega needing to split the Sonic team in half. They had half the people doing twice the work and it just couldn't be done.

Duke Nukem forever was developed from 1997 to 2011 and it was ****ing awful

The skill, work ethic and the sheer manpower of the developers is much more important than the time slot that they have to complete it.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
melee was made in a year and you all jerk off to that game. The development time has nothing to do with how good itll be. You're telling me over TWO YEARS isn't enough time to make a great smash bros game with the team they have working on it?

Top Bottom