• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting seriously worried....

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for all the confusion. Only M2K is going to test Smash 4. And like I said, I watched the stream live, so as for confirmation, I do not want to watch a week's worth of footage to find exactly when, or how many times (if it was talked about while I wasn't watching), it was brought up. All I know is M2K is going to test it for Nintendo (or Namco, I really don't know much detail) and when I say that, I do not mean the Best Buy stuff going on.

Believe me or don't. I just know that was all I remember, because the most important thing is, a successful player that plays both Melee, Brawl (and is good at 64, but in his words he is not top 8, so why bother?) and Project M at a high level will be testing a new game for the community. I do not know his position on physics engines, pace of the game, wave-dashing, L-cancelling, or (though I can guess) tripping.

I hope this cleared things up, though I doubt it did and people will doubt my credibility no matter what I say unless I can show them where in the stream I heard it, but laziness.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Sorry for all the confusion. Only M2K is going to test Smash 4. And like I said, I watched the stream live, so as for confirmation, I do not want to watch a week's worth of footage to find exactly when, or how many times (if it was talked about while I wasn't watching), it was brought up. All I know is M2K is going to test it for Nintendo (or Namco, I really don't know much detail) and when I say that, I do not mean the Best Buy stuff going on.

Believe me or don't. I just know that was all I remember, because the most important thing is, a successful player that plays both Melee, Brawl (and is good at 64, but in his words he is not top 8, so why bother?) and Project M at a high level will be testing a new game for the community. I do not know his position on physics engines, pace of the game, wave-dashing, L-cancelling, or (though I can guess) tripping.

I hope this cleared things up, though I doubt it did and people will doubt my credibility no matter what I say unless I can show them where in the stream I heard it, but laziness.
It would help if someone else is willing to back it up. Because like I said, if what you said is true, I'm sure some people would be going crazy with that information. And yet I haven't seen anyone else mention it anywhere in the past week...

I'm thinking you might have misunderstood or something. Perhaps they were speaking hypothetically about it?

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
A
It would help if someone else is willing to back it up. Because like I said, if what you said is true, I'm sure some people would be going crazy with that information. And yet I haven't seen anyone else mention it anywhere in the past week...

I'm thinking you might have misunderstood or something. Perhaps they were speaking hypothetically about it?
Actually someone else did mention it was on the SWF facebook or something like that. I don't know if that is true because I don't have facebook. They weren't being hypothetical though, because pbnj was practically begging M2K to tell them to keep out crouch cancelling. I don't know if that is in Brawl, but in Melee, it basically gives your opponent a chance to punish for hitting them (usually at low percents).

•Col•

Smash Champion
how about we just get M2K to confirm or deny this
^That would work, lol.

Anyway, apparently Smashboards on Facebook DID say M2K is going to playtest Smash 4...

But I have absolutely no idea who exactly runs the Smashboards facebook page, and lately I've heard unofficial Facebook/Twitter Smashboard accounts making up rumors. There's already a thread complaining about it...

http://smashboards.com/threads/to-the-person-s-who-update-s-smashboards-on-facebook.336989/

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Wait...M2K is going to test Smash 4? When will this happen? Will there be a stream? (Or is this just a rumor?) Also, like Colaya said, I think it'd be best if maybe 2 more people tested it as well, for backup.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Wait...M2K is going to test Smash 4? When will this happen? (Or is this just a rumor?) Also, like Colaya said, I think it'd be best if maybe 2 more people tested it as well, for backup.
I've been reading that the Twitter and Facbook Smashboards pages have been announcing rumors as if they're fact lately without any evidence, so I'd definitely assume it's just a rumor right now. Especially because I've even seen that mods here are unsure of who is in charge of the Facebook/Twitter accounts.

Someone could always just ask Mew2King.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
First off, pipe down the accusations or you're gonna get hit down a knock. I said some stuff that was wrong, but that doesn't make my whole argument wrong. Heck, you did that, but I moved on.
I never said your argument wasn't true, I said you keep giving false information to make your argument stronger (I am sorry this seems offensive and I do not mean it to be so, but the thing is, this isn't the first thread I see this behavior), and that can be seen when you give wrong release dates (1998 ssb64) and impossible time frames (27 month development on Brawl when announcement to release was about 22 months and that wasn't all development as the game hadn't even been talked about yet).

I don't mean to offend you and ask forgiveness if you find yourself offended.

Second off, I'm not making that stuff up. Go look it up. Sakurai worked 20 hours a day, 6 days a week, 120 hours total a week for many months (I wrote 100 hours a week, but I meant 120 hours a week). And dude, it's freaking Japan. They have people working like that all over. Heck, when my dad just got his last job, he worked similar hours, too. As he likes to tell you, "once you make crazy money, sometimes you have to work crazy hours." The interview was with 1Up; look it up on ---'s directory thread.
"On a personal level, Melee had an extremely grueling development cycle. Some of my other games did, too, but Melee sticks out far ahead of the pack in my mind.

"I worked on that game for 13 months straight, after all, without a single Sunday or holiday off that whole time. During parts of it, I was living a really destructive lifestyle - I'd work for over 40 hours in a row, then go back home to sleep for four."

This is a quote from the article at 1Up with what Sakurai said. First off he worked on it for 13 months, you said it was over 2 years. Secondly when he says he works 40 hours in a row then go to sleep for 4 he is quoting things that happened not describing how the whole production cycle was. I have no proof to show you this, I know and without proof you should not believe me but... It is literally physically impossible for a body to go under 2-4 hours of sleep a day for more than a few weeks let alone months.

As I said also he didn't take sundays or holidays off.

Brawl's development team was said to be about roughly 100 people full-time in his interview with "Iwata Asks," if my memory serves me correctly. I double checked that information right now, and although the source is down, it is correct, unless Sakurai is wrong.
I said compared to Namco-Bandai's possible development team, not actual numbers. I have no information on how many people were on his Brawl team or how many people are on his current team. What I do know is Namco-Bandai has a much higher number of employees and experienced people that could hypothetically work on Smash 4. So even though I do not have the exact numbers and as you said I could be wrong about the actual comparison, there is no way for me to know that, if n fact Smash 4 has less people it's because Namco believes it doesn't need more people to help develop it. Also apparently Namco is hiring which could mean they want even more people to help develop the game.

Anyways...

"We got Brawl's trailer when that game was in development for only about 8 months; these 2 games have been in development at least 16 months, with a grade-A developer (Namco Bandai) instead of a grade-D developer (Game Arts), with a much bigger, smarter, and more (fighting game) experienced group on a console that isn't just the previous console with motion controls (it's like we're having a two generational jump in terms of power, processing, graphics, and online interface!)."

I like how you actually agree with me on this point, so why fight me about it?

HA! A 2013 release date=??? Unless you're expecting less of everything than Brawl and a roster smaller than Melee and less balanced, too, you've gotta be crazy kid. We might get both of these games in Fall 2014, but there's no way we're getting either of them in the Spring or Summer (unless one comes out in say September), unless one game is released more than a year in advance of the other (probably Smash 3DS). If you really think it's gonna be that easy, you got another thing coming. And even if these games are announced to be released then, they'll be pushed back, guaranteed.
So, taking almost twice as long as Melee and About a year longer than Brawl equals to less characters and less balance?

I am actually a Game Design masters major and Triple-A games have a development cycle of about 2 years. I consider the fact that Smash is not your run of the mill *we need to see the sweat on the guys forehead and have realistic wind physics hitting the tree leaves so it needs to be pushed back 3 more months!* type of game and that even if they are redoing the engine yet again, they already have all the bases and knowledge to remake it quickly enough and in my opinion 20 months sounds like a very reasonable time frame for the development.

Even then, I do believe the game could be released even later, technically it could be holidays 2014, I am not saying that isn't plausible, because I believe it might be, just as I believe holidays 2013 is also plausible.

Also, Brawl took about 27 months to make; these 2 games should take at least about 3 or 44 years. Besides, the average Triple-A title (no, Call of Duty, *insert sports title here*, and Assassin's Creed are not Triple-A titles) take around 2 1/2 years to make.

I mean, look at the gap between quality Final Fantasy (is that even a quality franchise anymore?), Dragon Quest, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, Uncharted, etc. titles. If time had nothing to do with it, then those titles would be released multiple times ever year. And again, they're making TWO DIFFERENT GAMES ON TWO DIFFERENT CONSOLES that will be VERY DIFFERENT!!!
Well I already told you that supposedly (I cannot assure you this myself) Brawl took 16-17 (Which is what Smash 4 has been in development for) but aside from that...

Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and most of those games are in fact Triple-A titles and are great examples of how long a game takes to develop when you already have an engine in place.

Uncharted 1- November 16, 2007
Uncharted 2 - October 13, 2009
Uncharted 3 - November 1, 2011

There were small recesses between each game's development, which gives way to less than 2 years development in between each iteration.

Although a lot of these other games have 5 year development cycles, not all 5 years are spent on the game. Most of these games have problems appear through its development cycle (such as team restructuring and just having to rework ideas and start all over) and have the project halted or hindered greatly sometimes cancelled and having to start with a completely new idea.

Also, there is no proof the development team is bigger, unless you have a rough estimate of the Namco Bandai Soul Calibur team, plus anyone on the Tekken team working on either or both games, or anyone else helping from Namco Bandai or Nintendo.
Again...

"We got Brawl's trailer when that game was in development for only about 8 months; these 2 games have been in development at least 16 months, with a grade-A developer (Namco Bandai) instead of a grade-D developer (Game Arts), with a much bigger, smarter, and more (fighting game) experienced group on a console that isn't just the previous console with motion controls (it's like we're having a two generational jump in terms of power, processing, graphics, and online interface!)."

You are right, there is not way to guarantee it, but we can all agree, including yourself, that it probably is much bigger, but you want to fight me about your own opinions too.

I'd be willing to bet good money that we won't get both games before the Fall. Of course, like the guy who I bet $50 with that Diddy Kong would be playable in Brawl (I said yes, he said "Haha, no!"), you'd probably run away.
Why would I bet money through the internet? I am not claiming I know for a fact Smash 4 will be released before Fall, I am not a psychic. But just for the sake of it, let's do this, lets bet a public apology for it. If the game comes out before Fall you will publicly say I was right in a thread in the forums, stating that you were wrong. If on the other hand, the game is released around the dates you have stated in your posts (End of 2014 onward), I will do the same and make a thread publicly saying I was wrong and you were right, how does that sound? :)

Why (just) Mew2King=??? Sure, he's the only high level Melee and Brawl player most of us can name, but there's so many more players that play at a high level. Plus, he plays Brawl in a really boring way, even though Brawl is already boring enough competitively (IMO). If they wanted someone to add a "spark," just ask Armada (he's asked to do it), Mango, Gimpyfish, HugS, the Project M development team, ADHD, other top level Brawl players that don't bore people to death, etc.
Meh, those are the questions that make the rumor likely to be false. I do not claim verity of the rumor at all. Anyways any of those other smashers could have been approached too, hypothetically speaking, signing an NDA means you can't actually say the fact that you are testing the game, which M2K has not said outright, people are just assuming because of all of his late comments and questions. Anyways the rumor is most probably false but it shouldn't be debunked just yet, there is a small possibility it is true. Also whats boring to someone might be very entertaining to other people :p, not that I watch many M2K games, but just saying there must be people out there who love his playstyle.

Edit: Also, in your posts you actually said we wouldn't get it by 2014 and that we should count ourselves lucky if we did. So lets make the bet the following instead:

Me - From today until start of Fall 2014.

You - From the start of Winter 2014 until 2099

If it is released in Fall 2014 nobody wins.

And you say: "Either way it's a long as heck time ago that I hardly remember because I was a kid."

If you don't know something then don't correct it.

Someone used the 1999 argument to quote development time from 64 to Melee to say that Melee had less than 2 years development time. You then corrected them and said it was in 1998 in order to state that Melee had over 2 years of development (which actually had 13 months said by Sakurai himself).

If unsure, look it up or just don't say it.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
When you only mention Sakurai, it doesn't help.

Granted, as Fatmanonice said, a lot of people working on the game (Specifically animators) are contracted anyways.

That doesn't mean I implied the others aren't working hard.

I was referring to Sakurai's injury; that's why I adressed him in particular.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
My prayers go out to him then. It sucks when producers have illness's. I remember one of the guys for one game that looked really good had a terminal cancer and died just before they were able to go gold. Sucks.
Indeed. I hope he can recover soon, although with the work on Smash 4, that's going to be hard. Maybe he could settle down afterwards? (Doubt it)

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
BTW, I recognize your username. Did you previously have a SWF account=???
Nah, I haven't been here before. Perhaps someone mentioned me while talking about Project M? I did a lot of stuff on smashmods and some of it leaked over here.

Also, I for one, really hope Sakurai takes care of himself. I'd rather not have one of my favorite developers retire because he over worked himself.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nah, I haven't been here before. Perhaps someone mentioned me while talking about Project M? I did a lot of stuff on smashmods and some of it leaked over here.

Also, I for one, really hope Sakurai takes care of himself. I'd rather not have one of my favorite developers retire because he over worked himself.
Yeah, I play a lot of Project M. I think it might of been from the Ness (maybe Lucas) boards. I read up a lot to get good at Ness in that game, but I still suck as him! :laugh:

And yeah, I don't think anyone should ever work so hard it puts themselves in jeopardy. We all want him to live long and work long as well, and make his work his crafty play, especially since he's so young (I think he's still in his 30's). His first game, Kirby's Dreamland came out when he was 19 I believe. The dude is a freaking genius.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Mother 3 was in development for 8 years trollolololol

melee was made in a year and you all jerk off to that game.
Due to the sheer truth of this line, I offer you the title of god and president of the United States. Will you accept this honor?

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I was watching Pbnj's stream when they were talking about it. Earlier that day Zero was on his stream and that's how it blew up, then everyone came over to pbnj's wondering about it. Pbnj asked m2k (in person) if he was testing smash 4 at e3 and m2k said he was. If anything he would have to sign an NDA after he met with them first.

Think about this if m2k had to be asked by the people he was staying with whether or not he was testing smash 4, why else would he say anything about to smashboards? He's a fairly private person and probably doesn't want everyone hounding him about it. Pretty sure it was all over smashboards that day anyway, not sure how you guys missed it. Should probably visit other parts of the board or something...

Also Sakurai has Calcific Tendonitis in his shoulder.

Top Bottom