• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Past MetaKnight's Tornado - Share Ideas & Experiences

-dMT-

Smash Lord
A friend of mine picked MK out of nowhere the other day and started spamming the gaynado like nothing else mattered, and I was utterly disappointed at how I was completely unable to get past it, almost completely sealed.

Most of my trouble was that once I was in the air, mostly due to a previous tornado, I could barely ever get back down, as it completely ignored my attacks and of course air dodges.

Some of my ideas were using a dair to the center from above, or timing a vanish,but I just couldn't get it right.

Either I'm missing something simple and effective here, or is this match-up really a brick wall for Sheik?

Please share you ideas and experiences versus the tornado, and help me and the community.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Know when to grab the sucker after its done, but dont underestimate his lagless attacks. There's still a tiny bit of lag after the tornado though.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Well as far as defense against it on the ground, and punishment after he's done I had no problems, but once I was in the air...

So yea, how does one get back down, or negate the tornado in the air?
Aiming aerial needles perhaps?
Does a single needle go through?
How about dair?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I thought he can't use it again if he's in the air until he's landed... just fastfall down or something.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I thought he can't use it again if he's in the air until he's landed... just fastfall down or something.
That's true, but I end up being above him after it finishes and he can reach the ground early enough before me to s.h. another tornado. Platform stages make it even more troublesome.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
If you are having trouble landing, then what you should do is DI until you get off the ledge, fastfall, then grab the ledge with either your chain or just simply by grabbing it.

Soma

Smash Journeyman
Your initial thoughts work, because you should be able to d-air right through the top if you aim it right. Its just that d-air has the huge start-up time. Vanish would work but the chances of it working are slim to none. So, your best bet is needles and to stay on the ground.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Your initial thoughts work, because you should be able to d-air right through the top if you aim it right. Its just that d-air has the huge start-up time. Vanish would work but the chances of it working are slim to none. So, your best bet is needles and to stay on the ground.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. I just wanted to make sure I was in the right mindset to counter the tornado, and hopefully get some new ideas.

Thanks for your help everyone.

If anyone has any ideas please share.

TonyGuacamole

Smash Rookie
Bay Area, CA, Pro smashers please. 1v1, 3-stock,
I tried the chain idea. the chain punctures through the tornado...if you connect. I recommend only using the chain while on the ground to stop that friggin tornado. I did find another method though...

I found that fast falling Fair's into the center of the tornado from above work in the same way as the Dair, only I think they are easier to connect with.

acv

Smash Journeyman
DI down and air dodge.although now i am worried what i can do so he doesnt get past me

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I found air dodging isn't very effective because tornado lasts 3 times as long as the duration of the airdodge. even when i airdodge, i still get stuck in the tornado.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
even when i airdodge, i still get stuck in the tornado.
... are you DIing?

DON'T DI down (as the post above yours says), DI diagonally left/right and up while mashing airdodge.
Quarter circle Smash DI it.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
... are you DIing?

DON'T DI down (as the post above yours says), DI diagonally left/right and up while mashing airdodge.
yes as a matter of fact i am diing down, thank you i'm gonna try this out.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
... are you DIing?

This actually works well. Thanks.

The fair idea is also interesting. I'll try it out.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
I was talking to a Meta Knoob friend of mine after he Neutral B'd me out of the tourney. He said something to the extent of "Tornado only does like 4 damage once you stale it. The trick to beating the tornado is to treat it kinda like a war of attrition. If you get 3 tornado's in a row, then manage to punish one, you'll be about even. Just don't despair and you can beat it. Also, once you get to a high percentage, the MK is gonna try doing other moves (mainly Up B and D Smash) but then you can try fighting him somewhat normally."

2cents

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
its possible to vanish abuse him. but it takes getting the timing down.

another thing is to RUN from the tornado i kept finding myself trying to roll out of the way and of course that never works. if he goes into the air he cant do crap until he hits the ground. he also has to move according to the way your moving in the air. unless he is REALLY AWESOME you should be able to get out of it in the air... get to the ground before him and punch him in the face as he helplessly falls back to the ground.

Villi

Smash Lord
Advice on the Peach boards is to roll away as soon as you see it and hit him with an fsmash. I would just change that to a dsmash or vanish depending on the situation. If he starts to retreat, I like to chase and try to punish because he has, like, actual lag. o.o

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I played as MK against lvl 9 Sheik for about 10 mins. The only thing she did that resulted in her not getting hit were:

Rolls.
Needles.

I practiced as Sheik, and I found needles work best. A single needle will stop the whole tornado. Honestl,y whenever you see the start up, just shoot a needle and you should be fine.

Top Bottom