• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get your lucas critiqued here thread. post critique vids here!

Levitas

the moon
I'll get up to date today.

Thanks for jumping in, guys, I appreciate that. If I have an additional comment on the vids others critiqued, I'll jump in (I guess also if I strongly feel something is bad advice, which seems unlikely in this case).

Chuee

Smash Hero
Loved the jab lock into Fsmash in the last vid. Who was that lucas in the first? Was it glarion cause i remember you said you 2 stocked him in a ditto.

Irsic

Smash Ace
It's best you give us video's of you vs. opponents where...you, lose, actually. But not like lost because you PKThundered yourself into the lip of a stage, like lost, but either barely or were just beat out by your opponent, that is how you get better, if you give us video's of you beating your opponent then you don't need help and you don't improve.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
It's best you give us video's of you vs. opponents where...you, lose, actually. But not like lost because you PKThundered yourself into the lip of a stage, like lost, but either barely or were just beat out by your opponent, that is how you get better, if you give us video's of you beating your opponent then you don't need help and you don't improve.
I have just the vid. lol @ old matches.
www.youtube.com/watch?vTAKJjtn_PR8
i'm trying to get a recent vid, but without a copy of brawl it's pretty difficult.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
do you want us to comment your fights minute by minute?
so far, i can say you played really good in the second fight, why didn't you play the same the others 2? You had some opportunities to take the gyro, but you prefered to attack ROB. Once you have the gyro in your hand, keep it and spam pk fire, as you can see, ROB will try to get it, his approach are not that good, and the only projectil he has, is the laser, which you can absorb, take adv of that. Lucas has a good jump cancel throw, make use of it. Remember that you can fsmash the gyro while it is on the ground, and it will be yours, the first times, ROB will get surprised when trying to grab it lol.

ok, that was just match up info

you are good with pivot grabs and have a good air control, good job. The only advice i can give, work with dair and nair combos, you attempt dair->fsmash too much, mix up dair combos, like ff dair to jabs. Nair, is awesome vs ROB, he's big, and doesn't have a fast aerial that can stop nair to nair to nair... or any other nair combo

i invite you to go to the OBR :)

btw, second fight, at 3:02, that's my combo lol

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
Video 1
0:39 - it looks like u were trying to wavebounce ur PKF to get back on. you probably should've just used rope snake and grab the ledge. if u did that instead of WBPKF, u wouldnt hav hit the gyro and he wouldnt hav taken control of the edge. that led to a whole bunch of shenanaghans.

0:57-1:27 - nice comback =] i thought he was gonna ko you again.

2:57- if he's on the ledge and you're at that distance, dont use PKT because the opponent can catch you off guard with his fair. marth, falcon(uair), gdorf- lots of chars hav moves that can hit you from that distance coming off the edge.

3:03- great use of PKF. many people forget that it's a decent edgeguarding move. you even ko'ed him with it:laugh:
and thats all i've got to say

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
btw, second fight, at 3:02, that's my combo lol
btw, that statement, at the end of your post, that's really ignorant to say.

@ Ok1n: I promise to write something about your vids. If I don't anytime soon, remind me with a pm, please. I want to. I just can't right now.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
I put up more on youtube again this isnt my best lucas

ive learned a lot more from practicing lately

but i just want to know what everyone has to say about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huBQpiN8tcU&feature=channel_page
Cheeri-Oats;6553599 [url said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTSpQzfckjI[/url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B16whEkN4w

And I have a lot more.
i'll be back after to dinner to critique them.

@ awful: i only saw up to 2:30 and already i can tell you that u hav to use d-air alot more, dont use sh-fairs, use SHPKF, and dont use bair as an approach.
ur main approach should be dair. nair should be 2nd.
dont appoach with a sjort hopped f-air because of the landing lag (1:27 is a great example of that). ur opponent can easily grab u afterwards.
*back*
1:40- now that probably would've been a good time to use f-air instead of PKT2
2:00- if u used dair, u would've spiked him and KO'd him. when someone is off the stage, you edgeguard with PKT, dair or spike with bair.
2:27- u ko'd with fair...nice job, but you could've ko'd earlier in the match if u used forward smash instead.
3:28-3:34- idk if this was on purpose, but nice kamikaze ko:laugh: i love when that happens. but if u didnt mean for that to happen and u were trying to recover, use rope snake to get the edge.
there were many times during the begining and towards the end of the match that u used b-air when sonic was near you. next time, if he's on top of u like that us N-air.

my advice: D-air, n-air, space. hope this helps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok now i'm doing Oats' 1st video vs Olimar

0:08- i like how you used nair to get the pikim off of you because of the options you had afterwards. u could've hit him again with another nair or jabbed. but he tripped and u hit him with fair and thats good too;)
1:24-1:28- teh sexxors. downair to dtilt to fsmash is amazing. if apc were here, he would say that was his combo:psycho:
2:10- u got there a little early =/ i think if u used PKT one more time, and THEN got the edge, he would've died
3:47- UPSMASH FOR THE WIIIN!!!!!!!!! lol that was a big risk becuase ur life was so high. best way to win a match

great job oats. it's hard to give adive to someone who's such a great lucas player.
i hav one question tho: does d-air overide olimar's upsmash/u-air??
:094:

Levitas

the moon
I'll see if I can get some critiques done tonight. Sorry for the neglect. If it happens again, feel free to PM me angrily and I'll get on it.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
@ ToxiCrow:

About the Dair > Upsmash/Whatever - I don't know. I've heard people say it does and others (and personal experience) say it doesn't. Personally, I'd rather just use dair to bait them to upsmash, space away, then follow up after the auto-cancel.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
@toxi: -.-' no, that's not "my combo", "my combo" is jab+jab+cancel+dtilt+fsmash, and i call it APCombo! lololol
i think olimar's usmash and uair go through Lucas' dair if Olimar uses a yellow pikmin
i'd like to critique Oats' vids, but i just don't undestand Obama and pikmins :S
few things i can say, good agressive playstyle, i wouldn't use nair to kill pikmins, if i'm of those who oeveruse this attack, and next time a yellow pikmin is attached to you, use dsmash, it'd last forever :D

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Reply To Okin's Post

Okin, here is the "analysis" I promised you.

1st Match

- Should not approach with bair. (various points)
- 0:19 Full Hop Bair, Uair..? Hmm...
- 0:57 Try PKT2 further away from the stage
- you spend too much time floating into the rob with an airdodge.
- be careful with wave bouncing
- ~3:00 dtilt is not safe because you will usually be hit away during an attack.
- 3:38 you were so eager to complete "combos" that you get punished, one hit is sometimes enough, don't be afraid to hit and run.

Lot of things you had to learn were match-up dependent: Gauging the range of the gyro; understanding that ROBs fair outprioritizes many of Lucas' moves

2nd Match

- 0:27 Nice pivot grab
- 1:17 Still approaching with bair. It's slow and telegraphed because you have to turn around, it's better for punishing retreats not approaching
- 1:50 I like the way you follow up with uair and dair.
- 4:15 This is the only time upsmash on the edge worked for you. Sometimes it's powerful and gets the job done, but most of the times it leaves you open for punishing (once in this match)

In this match you played smarter and it's obvious with the way you mixed up approaches. Stay away from full-on jumping into a character with nair.

3rd Match

- 2:25 The biggest mistake you keep repeating in many of your matches is your predictable recovery habits. Magnet Pulling is not as effective against characters waiting for you on the main stage with powerful projectiles
- Bair Spike off the edge is not safe and opens you up for punishing. It's stylish as all hell, but not good when the character is above you and has such a powerful airgame (ROB's nair, and bair)

I think the general case is that you don't know the ROB match up too well. Spot-dodges to down-smash got you pretty good, and you were unsure how to react to the gyro at times. All in all, I did learn a couple things from you, and you should study what made you so effective in the second game, and how you got hit the hardest in the 1st and 3rd game.

0kin

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to all for the Critique! I took what all of u guys said to heart and evaluated my playstyle against ROBs accordingly. If it helps, to let u all know i actually beat him in a tourney last weekend lol.
Oats, i just saw ur set and will critique when i get the chance.
I will also explain some of the reasoning behind some of the stuff i do.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Im posting this in multiple threads so people will see this....its very important

we all need to vote...
who should be in the Lucas Hall of Fame?
And what videos should be in there??
Look through the many Lucas player vids and vote!

My top 6 for Hall of Fame:

NinjaLink
APC
Okin
Galeon
Seanson
Levitas

and for the MVP its a tie between Irsic and Oats
I cant decide lol
Vote everyone:)
and head over to the Video Compendium

Zephron

Smash Ace
I'll take a crack at this. EDIT: Lawl that I did. Sorry for writing so much. It's good info tho.

Oats:

Match 1

0:18
Kirby was waaay too close there, and you just decided to do PK thunder. Even if you curved it into yourself correctly you wouldn't have made it. If you're going to PK thunder make sure you're at least twice that length or it's a slow character.

Nice shieldgrabbing... I could do that more... but I always fail.
0:39-0:44
You don't have to always do PK thunder offedge. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome, safe, and you can hit yourself. But going after kirby works great too. Plus you went a little too far and got punished. He was really high, so I think you should'nt have done a move quite yet, and instead, wait for an opening. It's so easy to get into habit.. I just think sometimes we really need to just stop and consider waiting instead of doing a habit.
0:43
Nice spike. Kirby was asking for it though.
1:00 thru 1:20
Nice camping.. Though it was kinda risky. If you end it early you couldv'e gotten Kirby upsmashed... maybe.
1:30- 1:35
Nice jab lock. It was epic, but just next time maybe do a charged dsmash or a Side smash. Usmash sometimes is too long, and they can attack you or get away.
2:00 - 2:06
Okay, you were kinda asking for it here. You were threatening a kirby with your jab? Lolwut.
You prolly didn't have that in mind, but Kirbies LOVE to just side smash away, and it kills **** fast, so if you're caught in a corner like that try full jump and dair'ing away.
2:37
See? This is another example of a time NOT to use PK thunder for the heck of it. I know it owns and stuff, but you got punished again, and I just think you like using it a tad too much.
2:48
Nice ownage jab lock :3

MATCH 2

You're pretty campy, (most lucases are) but since Brinstar is such a small stage, I think at that point it would be better to be much more offensive than what you're doing. Try SH nair around the stage if you want to be pretty safe.

1:01
That was great. For the future, if you have more time try to do a jab cancel to dtilt to dsmash. But don't think that part as a critique lol just a suggestion.
1:14
Waay too close there man. Anyone would hit you. Sometimes it's better to just let yourself fall, and then use your superior recovery to go through the stage or hit the edge.
1:19
Nice dodge!!
The kill Kirby got on you a couple seconds afterwards.. I should quickly mention it isn't always safe to pk thunder right onto the stage :p Rly easy to shield and then pwn. You were far enough so you wouldnt go thru him.
2:13
LAWL. Gotta love the tingles of Usmash.
2:56
You got punished like every time you used Dsmash on that stage. Yeah, it increases your lag 10x more too. I know the attacks last longer, and you did take advantage of that somewhat, but it really isn't wise.

MATCH 3

0:40
Okay, you kept trying the same approach like 3-4 times in a row. At that point you NEED to try something else. I know dsmash is uber lenient and a great aproach, but it just wasnt working out. You couldve went to edge and then jump dair or something. Idk, just dont keep being that obvious :p
1:23
Niice.

1:34
Q_Q Idk what you were doing there. Lol lets go offedge?? Ah well it's fine.

2:16 or so

You were doing good camping and racking up damage, but at that point I would suggest changing the game and going offensive. You don't really try to approach much, and then you usually retreat your aerials. I suggest you just go and SH fair the guy. And don't retreat :p
2:30
Lolwut? Ah well, that was pretty good. You were really pushing your luck though.
2:44
You always do PK thunder the second someone goes offedge. Wait a bit D:<

Or go offedge with them. Sure, It's Kirby, but Lucas's fair and dair are excellent to push the enemy down and away.
4:00

Nice combos :3 Wish you went a little further though.

Conclusion

Awesome Lucas. You have a defined playstyle, and it seems to work for you. The things I am going to stress are:

Going with your opponent offedge instead of PK thunder all the time. Try Fair or Dair.

Finding good moments to stop camping and suddenly going offensive throws your opponent offguard, and can really help you out. This also makes sure people can't predict you or eventually get through your camping game. Which is great btw.

When you DO want to PK thunder, think it over for a second, and pay attention where the enemy is, and what he's doing. kirby did punish you a ton for just using PK thunder suddenly, and you seem to do that a lot. Please work on that.

Try jab cancel moar. You like the jab to dsmash, but I've seen many opponents shield it. Which why I'm going to suggest again the jab cancel to dtilt to dsmash. You dont have to do this one but I really <3 it.

God I wrote a ton. Though I feel it's good information. Fun to watch matches, Oats. GL and HF.

awful

Smash Cadet
Hey toxicrow, thanks for the advice. I appreciate good criticism

:)

Zephron

Smash Ace
That was awesome. Though, the MK was kind of dumb, going into a fully charged Fsmash and Dsmash. Which helped the 3 stock happen.

I loved the Magnet pull to go under the stage, and then he uaired him. That was unexpected and awesome.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
@ Zephron.

I appreciate the effort and though I disagreed with some of the things you said (because they were just honest to god finger slips on my part and not intentional) I still loved how much time you invested in it and I can see how you honest you are and I love it.

Top Bottom