• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Schooled! - 3rd Semester - The training course for SIIS6! $5 entry!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Tutu's feelings are essentially how I felt about tournaments and MK as a whole. Like yeah I had real high hopes for myself here but I got 9th..and I don't care because I didn't lose to a character, I lost to the player for a change. I can totally live with that. I had some really fun sets without MK in the equation. I actually seriously thought about quitting as well because of losing to MKs every ..single...tournament. Or being CPed constantly by MKs etc. Its been happening for over a year now also. This..made me feel like I did in 09. :)

What's The Point

Smash Master
You don't lose to "bad" players using Metaknight. If they were bad you wouldn't lose. You are losing to a roughly equally skilled player using a better character. It's not even top level of play, so the character choice is even less significant.

ZTD | TECHnology

The word "bad" isn't even in my post. I felt like I lost to players around my level that played MK because they play MK. Like its ******** when you feel like you outplayed them for a majority of the set and still lose because its MK.

My life story.

Anyway shoutouts later. Sleep now.

I didnt say bad either, and it's my favorite word to describe people.

You probably input it subconsciously where I would have said it had I ben saying this irl

I did use bad afterall, I tried so carefully not too as well.

MI MKs are bad tho, tell me when they make out of pools at regionals. That's where I draw the line for "soandso isn't bad"

Telling me that MI MKs are good would be like telling me that Oro isn't free to Gio in Smash 64.

Rayquaza07

Smash Ace
quad wario was 2 gud ima use him nex time for dubz if mk is banned

but not having mk to counter those pocket d3s suxed XD would have been annoyed if lain beat me with d3 dat game but nair 2 gud :awesome:

and wish i got 2 pley blu rouge in 1vs1 wanted 2 play one of the top warios irl

Rayquaza07

Smash Ace
gandw vs d3 is a hard mu for gandw on halb lul

and i was talking about dubz not singlez @ geo cuz pplz leik oblivion and sk were using d3 2 gain the adv vs chars like wario and snake making it a pocket d3

lain has a legit d3 though but tech still prob the bes d3 and dat 2nd game of sk vs tech in poolz that ending was epic :cool:

Boxxy

Smash Lord
dude just because you're a wifi warrior doesn't mean you have to type like one... actually no, continue to type like that. you'd give people the wrong impression if you typed normally

shout outs to banning :metaknight: and nothing changes except that the people who pocket him get f'ed :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt: :troll: :troll: :troll:

D

Deleted member

Eager for the results thread.

For me, I should be listed as :lucario: :wolf: in that order. I did use Lucas as well, but I didn't win any games with him, so he shouldn't be listed.

this tournament brought to you by :salt:

and yeah it's definitely very objective to say that more people had more fun with MK being banned... i had tons of fun not being able to compete. most fun tournament for me in months.

-_-

D

Deleted member

There was a really cute Melee player here... <3

I think his name was Flare?

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
this tournament brought to you by :salt:

and yeah it's definitely very objective to say that more people had more fun with MK being banned... i had tons of fun not being able to compete. most fun tournament for me in months.

-_-
That was your choice the past 2 tourneys you've been going other chars that you could have used you just chose to argue about a rule and boycott

:phone:

What's The Point

Smash Master
Except he likes to play Metaknight. Metaknight is why he likes to play the game. A lot of people have that one character they like to play and only play that character. But there is never going to be a ROB banned tournament or something so it's never an issue for them.

ZTD | TECHnology

Just got home from work..results thread will be up later tonight.

Rayquaza said:
lain has a legit d3 though but tech still prob the bes d3 and dat 2nd game of sk vs tech in poolz that ending was epic
That ending was so awesome lmao. Our sets are usually insane like that but this was one for the record books.

Also Lain helped invent D3. Without his guidance and videos I wouldn't be half the penguin I am today. <3

MK is why some people play, and why other people quit. Is your fun more important than mine? IMO my fun is more important, you may feel otherwise, but if it comes down to me having fun vs you having fun, then I'm def gonna push for the ruleset that I have fun playing under.

ZTD | TECHnology

To an extent, I feel the same way. I mean while I host for other peoples' entertainment and to make sure we have an active scene, logically I wouldn't be hosting if I didn't have fun. And for the past 6 months or so I have not been having too much fun but I sucked it up for the community because that's just what I do. I have been putting the needs and fun of others' in Michigan for well over a year now. However, I was more or less getting fed up hosting tournaments I was not having fun at. I host, get stressed out, lose a nearly hopeless MU and then walk away feeling really mad about how I wasted 12 hours of my life not having fun. It legitimately made me want to quit hosting and playing altogether. So I made a decision because not only do I have direct control over this in MI, I have direct control over this on a intercontinental level being in the BBR RC. At the end of the day, I honestly believe things are better without Metaknight in existence. I believe more people have fun and I know that I do personally. I also believe that the growth in our scene is negatively augmented with such a high concentration of Metaknight players here. So yes, I am pro ban now and I will push for it. Gio, I am sorry you have been personally affected by this but I am not sorry for hosting this tournament at all. I can't remember the last time I had enjoyed a tournament I performed badly at. Sometimes I am not able to balance TOing and playing at the same time (its incredibly stressful) but I can live with that if I am having fun. Yesterday made me feel really good about the game again <3

tl;dr - TC is pro ban. Deal with it.

Going to go have some beers now. Shoutouts will be up in a few hours..? Or sooner. Holla.

:dedede:

Deal with it.
This is exactly the attitude we need to have to revive our scene. And precisely why I'm done.

I don't get why you say it's a hopeless matchup. Didnt you like just beat me? According to the matchup list ICs is DDD's worst matchup anyways. I don't see any IC bans. I actually love playing against nub MKs and beating them with characters I'm terrible at. Honestly if you decide to main a mediocre character (:dedede:) you should be aware that you are going to have losing matchups, and are probably going to lose to people that are the same skill level as you just based on the character you use. I think snake is really annoying. I guess I'm just gonna have to run my own :snake:-banned tournaments! Then I'll be having lots of fun!

Also, as long as MK remains legal nationwide, running MK-banned tournaments just makes our state that much worse. As it stands now, a lot of MI players show interest in attending Apex, which will not be MK-banned. That won't be pretty. I'm not totally against a MK ban, I just think the reasons it's occurring in MI are ridiculous. And you know that it isn't just gonna be your tournaments now. You are totally aware of the influence you have on the MI community, and I'm certain every tournament from now on in MI is going to be MK-banned. After a couple of months of MK-banned tournaments we'd probably get ***** by Kentucky or some other free state. Possibly even Illinois. JK about the Illinois part. :yeahboi:

ZTD | TECHnology

I don't plan on making every single tournament of mine Metaknight banned. I do plan on hosting future events like Get Schooled 2 while Metaknight is still legal nationwide. I am also not the only Tournament Organizer for Brawl in Michigan. I'm the MAIN one but not the only.

And honestly I think the fact that the only MU experience that we get is :metaknight: :snake: :dedede: :sheik: :popo: on a regular basis hurts us FAR more than the occasional MK banned tournament while he is still nationally accepted.

Also, Gio how many times have you beaten my D3 as MK? Like 6? Give me a break please. I beat you ONCE with all D3 and its because I outplayed you. Especially Game 3, you didn't play as well as you do (probably because of what happened Game 1...lol) And just because the Brawl Backroom says ICs are my worst MUs doesn't mean I agree nor does it make it true. I know my character and his MUs more than most other D3s in this nation and its a nearly hopeless MU. Go ask Will, what he thinks. He knows firsthand how dumb it is. I may have beaten you but it doesn't change the fact that the MU is nearly hopeless. I never said impossible but its bad. I have played every level of MK imaginable from scrubs to M2K. And this doesn't even matter because I'm not even a top level D3 lol. Like this entire back and forth is pointless because we're talking about a Matchup and not about a specific character's impact on a metagame.

well clearly me winning 6 times had nothing to do with my skill, I just pick MK and it's an auto-win

it's too bad i couldnt make it to this tournament, i was gonna **** everyone with my secret weapon

ZTD | TECHnology

Please don't put words in my mouth just to bolster your point because we both know I don't think like that. Let's be realistic here. You have outplayed me in several sets that we faced off against, no doubt about that. However we've also had some very close sets where you barely manage to beat me. In a matchup that is honestly defined as "pretty ****ing bad", do you not think that your character being Metaknight doesn't affect that?

Like when I soundly defeated Junebug in Game 2 of our set, yes I played pretty well. But yes, I also played what is one of Lucario's bad matchups. June is CLEARLY a better player than me but because of my character I was able to close the gap.

Maybe I can't expect someone who has only played a character who has no bad MUs to understand this feeling 100% but there are honestly times where you feel like you didn't lose to the player, you lost to the character the player is playing. Its one thing if you don't know the MU at all and had no idea what to do. Its another when you know exactly what to do and played it a million times and still lose because of the overwhelming advantages the opponent can have.

ok well honestly the times we've played are the only times i've played against DDD. i have no MU experience at all. if i actually knew how to shut down DDD like everyone says MK does... idk

and yo, i've been playing smash 64 since the day it came out. i know all about matchups. this is the strange thing about brawl. you almost never hear people complain about matchups in melee or 64.

brawl to me is extremely campy and boring unless you're playing as MK. then it's tolerable. fun, even. take out MK and brawl puts me to sleep.

plus i wanted to play as MK before the game even came out. he's a pimp. the only other cool char is snake but he's insanely boring. so yeah.

brawl - :metaknight: = bad and boring game :yeahboi:

how about this. next time we play tech, wanna do a lil MM against my secret weapon? :denzel:

Sparta Kick

Smash Ace
I guess I'm just gonna have to run my own :snake:-banned tournaments! Then I'll be having lots of fun
If that actually happened, I would have entered them... but not now because I'm pretty done with tourneys for the most part.

And rayquaza, I will have a present for you in the next few days... hopefully. :cool:

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Ok, I just have to say this:

I'm getting VERY annoyed with the "ban *insert character here*" bull****. Unless if it's a troll post, then that's different, but still.

You don't see/hear the Melee community complain "Ban :foxmelee:, ban :falcomelee:" all the goddamn time, so why does this have to happen in the Brawl community?

I'm not gonna lie, this is actually one of the reasons I wanted to quit Brawl in the first place.

I just don't see a legitimate reason to ban a certain character.

D

Deleted member

Gio, did you just say Brawl - :metaknight: equals a bad, boring game?

See, this is where you have absolutely no room to talk. You weren't at this tournament, so how could you know? You don't even realize that grand finals was actually FUN TO WATCH.

The same was the case at Kiester's MK banned tourney.

@Apasher, two different games. You can't judge your Melee characters as if they work the same in Brawl. You must not have even bothered with Brawl enough to realize how corrupt Meta Knight has made the Metagame.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
I'm not saying that stuff in melee applies in brawl as well.

What I'm saying is that Fox and Falco have a ****load more of advanced tactics than any other character, and no one *****es about fox and falco

But in brawl, i see/hear SO MANY people complain about MK. For what? A nado? A strong glide attack? A shuttle loop? No bad matchups? I don't see why any of those reasons are good enough to ban him.

:phone:

Gio, did you just say Brawl - :metaknight: equals a bad, boring game?

See, this is where you have absolutely no room to talk. You weren't at this tournament, so how could you know? You don't even realize that grand finals was actually FUN TO WATCH.
what? so i cant have an opinion on the subject since i wasnt at the tournament? i guess all my knowledge of the game and its characters are meaningless, since i havent actually been to a MK-banned tournament. it's not like i've ever seen sets without MK before.

and honestly, any argument that uses the quality of 'fun' is inherently totally subjective, and thus, bad. i wasnt trying to argue MK shouldnt be banned cuz i think he makes the game fun, i was just trying to explain why an MK ban is disappointing to me.

Top Bottom