• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Tech bi-weekly smash tournament (planning)

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332
Greetings to readers.

i am just planning out the tournament at this stage.
I will get to decide whether i will get to host the tourney or not,

IF THE REQUIREMENTS ARE SATISFIED FOR both YOU and me.

Hence, i need to make sure the "requirements' below are satisfying for people who are entering the tournaments.

1. Door Fee
sorry for college students,
HOWEVER i will have to collect door fee since I NEED TO PAY in order to reserve the room.
(no door fee required if you bring the set)

door fee would be $10~15.

*EDIT #1*
if we could get the student organization to reserve room for us, it will cut down the reserve fee for more than half.
in that case, it would be $5, i believe.

i will edit again, if there is further notice.

2. Set
as you'd may know, SET = TV and console+game.
IF you bring full set, no door fee.
If you bring ONLY TV, you will pay 1/3 of door fee
If you bring ONLY console+game, you will pay 2/3 of door fee

3. About door fee *
If total doorfee goes over the charge for reserving the room,
I CAN SPEND THAT 'EXCESS' MONEY FOR BEVERAGES OR ETC.

*EDIT #3*
thanks to 'Teh Umby' for reminding me.
i will pile up the door fees and use them for the next reserve fee etc.

TO USE THE DOOR FEE WITH HIGHER EFFICIENCY.

4. Entry Fee
to reduce your burden, I was thinking about
$5 for singles
$10 for doubles (so, $5 each person)

(it was also Cunning Kitsune's suggestion of entry fee, unless the tourney would be gigantic)

5. Singles/Doubles
if i reserve the room for more than 4 hours, it becomes nearly twice the charge of 1~4 hours.

THEREFORE, doubles will be the part of the tournament
IFF AND ONLY IFF total door fee OF PREARRANGED PEOPLE EXCEEDS the charge for reserving room for more than 4 hours

6. Enough people have to come.
If I get to pay the fragments of the room reserving fee for 2 or more times
BY NOT HAVING ENOUGH ENTRANTS,

There will be no more tournaments since that point.
i would like to see 10+ people for every tournament, if i get to host them.

if i come up with more 'requirements' i will edit this post.

please make comments about them. If it is not a good option for you...
this plan will be dismissed.

Thanks.
*Editted once*

Umby

Smash Master
You could also keep any excess from the door fees to help pay for the next time you reserve the room. I'd definitely come over sometimes for this, though.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
it's kinda painful for most people to have a door fee greater than the entrance fee

if you really want to tournament @ gt i would get the backing of a student organization they get mega discounts on renting places

not to be discouraging but tournaments @ gt are kinda expensive to run overall which is door fee which reduces attendance which makes the door fee not even cover the price of rental plus there are a lot of dumb rules in place 24/7

gl

mecatomato

Smash Lord
You could also keep any excess from the door fees to help pay for the next time you reserve the room. I'd definitely come over sometimes for this, though.
Definitely, I will do it so. haven't mentioned it. lol

thanks for reminding. i will edit it after posting this.

it's kinda painful for most people to have a door fee greater than the entrance fee

if you really want to tournament @ gt i would get the backing of a student organization they get mega discounts on renting places

not to be discouraging but tournaments @ gt are kinda expensive to run overall which is door fee which reduces attendance which makes the door fee not even cover the price of rental plus there are a lot of dumb rules in place 24/7

gl
I feel the pain of paying so much sh*t. True.
If you can ask a student organization for reserving 'FOR US'

that would be awesome.

I was going to find that out anyway. and if you could do that for me,
it will make my life so much easier
PLUS, it will reduce huge chunk of burden of entrants.

*i have editted the original post*

10 dollar door fee? Youre going to be the only one there dude >_>
in case that situation happening, i have posted this thread to make it better, so that it won't happen.
However, i will accept the complaints.

but without the student organization's vicarious reserve, it is over $100, which I am not going to and I cannot handle by myself .
($100 for 1~4hours, $180 for 4+, is for small room that can handle 20~30 people)
(if i reserve ball room it is like few hundred dollars)

It is just an idea/a plan for now.
it can be cancelled at any time.

and also, I DON'T HAVE TO host the tournament, if there is someone else up for it, i could let him do so.

it was some of my friends' idea of me hosting tournament.

so... IF more people disagree with this tournament than the people agree.
I am not going to host it, of course.

well, i thank you three for the comments.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
gt's rental policies are not designed for get togethers with a buncha dumb kids. they are for companies who think they'll get more value in publicity than they lose for rentals, and for student organizations with excess $(they get some from gt just for existing).

idk which room you're looking at, but it's like $400 for the ballroom for 4+ hours even w/ student organization backing, which means even with a $10 door fee we'd need 40 people to come(which would not happen cause no one likes $10 dor fee).

which room you're looking at for 20-30 people?

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Is this for Melee or Brawl*
*Brawl please :)
heh, that is not yet FULLY decided.

I want to have them both. but it might depends on the situations.

So what i am thinking now...
is for example (as it would be bi-weekly),
2nd saturday of month - melee
4th saturday of month - brawl

or something like that. Gathering people who are up for tournament is prior to what we will have in tournament.
If people don't come, whatever we have at tourney is meaningless.

I will write it again. thanks =)

gt's rental policies are not designed for get togethers with a buncha dumb kids. they are for companies who think they'll get more value in publicity than they lose for rentals, and for student organizations with excess $(they get some from gt just for existing).

idk which room you're looking at, but it's like $400 for the ballroom for 4+ hours even w/ student organization backing, which means even with a $10 door fee we'd need 40 people to come(which would not happen cause no one likes $10 dor fee).

which room you're looking at for 20-30 people?
oh dayum. it was $400 for Off-cam org for 1~4 hours. lol wowowowowow
for student Org, $200 for 4+ hours.

anyway. i got the reservation policy manual. for the prevous post, i was trying to call out the numbers from the head but it didn't work well. hehe

i was looking around some rooms today (didn't look all of them..)

errr... i remember the location of the room but not the numbers. lol
i think 319??
there was kinda big one compare to other ones. I will go check them again at student center.

it is 'on' planning stage now. so we don't have to hurry so much. =)

thanks for the help anyway. hehe

but if we need bigger room than normal size room at student center,
maybe we can reserve Ballroom blue.

it is 40 for 1~4, and 80 for 4+, FOR student org.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
November 8
hosted by ACM Sig game
or whatever the heck they call themselves these days
ask around on campus, we got mike g to come last time =D

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
I tried to get a weekly thing going in Columbus this summer, but between my job and summer class, there wasn't enough time to do all of that preparation every week. Anything more frequent than a monthly schedule will require a big time commitment, and GT isn't the best school when it comes to guaranteeing free time. I'd recommend a monthly setup for the tourneys and SWF-posted friendlies days in between. That feels more realistic to me, and if you can handle it, you can try making more tournaments in between. Over-ambition killed my plans. Don't let it do the same to yours. ^ ^

I'm definitely up for some action. Even if the tournaments turn out to be too expensive, getting together with campus SWF members will be a lot of fun. We have a ready community online, so let's assemble IRL sometime.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
I tried to get a weekly thing going in Columbus this summer, but between my job and summer class, there wasn't enough time to do all of that preparation every week. Anything more frequent than a monthly schedule will require a big time commitment, and GT isn't the best school when it comes to guaranteeing free time. I'd recommend a monthly setup for the tourneys and SWF-posted friendlies days in between. That feels more realistic to me, and if you can handle it, you can try making more tournaments in between. Over-ambition killed my plans. Don't let it do the same to yours. ^ ^

I'm definitely up for some action. Even if the tournaments turn out to be too expensive, getting together with campus SWF members will be a lot of fun. We have a ready community online, so let's assemble IRL sometime.
apology for my late action for replying.

hm, so you are saying that monthly would be better idea over biweekly, right?

my friend Cunning Kitsune is hosting tournament in Purdue University, and that tourney is bi-weekly, so i thought i could carry that on, but if people prefer the tourney to be monthly, i will do so.

thanks for the comment.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
my friend Cunning Kitsune is hosting tournament in Purdue University, and that tourney is bi-weekly, so i thought i could carry that on, but if people prefer the tourney to be monthly, i will do so.

Purdue is ezmode.

If you wanna do a big bi-weekly at Tech, the only problem is securing a good location. Nobody here wants to pay big dollars for stuff. We can do smaller tournaments, or you can just come over to our place and play smash bros from time to time, but big tournaments are tough to run here.

As for the COC, I really dont know the process by which they got the room, ask around though in the COC office mebbe. Its right by the rooms I am talking about.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Purdue is ezmode.
No. =P

If you wanna do a big bi-weekly at Tech, the only problem is securing a good location.
i know. i figured that out. heh. I am trying. not at the moment because of exams..

you can just come over to our place and play smash bros from time to time
I don't HAVE TO enter tourney or whatever. I am just happy with playing Friendlies with people.
some people asked me for it. and that is why i was trying to host the tournament.

As for the COC, I really dont know the process by which they got the room, ask around though in the COC office mebbe. Its right by the rooms I am talking about.
hmmm...
for this CoC stuff, i will do that. when i am freed from exams. ;_;

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Find a less expensive place. Anywhere that you'll have to charge more than $5 for a door fee is simply not worth it.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Find a less expensive place. Anywhere that you'll have to charge more than $5 for a door fee is simply not worth it.
That is what i am trying. not to be grumpy or to blame you, but please read my first post carefully. ;_;
or what i wrote (long, long paragraphs) is not worth being written. ;_;

IF i find a place that I/We can rent for free.
i don't need to charge door fee.

but, otherwise, I must collect door fee, since i don't want to pay for the room by myself for all the other people who will take my time away for nothing.

it might sounds like that i want money. yes i do. you would want the money, too.
if you say no, you are lying. =P

But what i am saying is, and why i would collect door fee, is to PAY OFF THE ROOM THAT WE WILL GET TO RENT.
AND AS IT IS WRITTEN, IF DOOR FEE EXCEEDS THE 'ROOM RESERVATION FEE', I WILL KEEP ON COLLECTING THEM AND ONCE THE EXCEEDED DOOR FEE GOES UP TO A SINGLE 'ROOM RESERVATION FEE', THERE WILL BE A TOURNAMENT WITHOUT A DOOR FEE.

hmm.. because I am not a native speaker and i know my English isn't so great so it might be kinda vague..
so if not clear, please tell me again before you start blame me.
i will try to make it in better shape as in communication.

i'm totally up for this
Thank you very much for the interest. =)

If this tourney gets to be held, i would be happy to see you.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
i helped a friend run a thingy here in the CoC, and roomies (Tong + Jeff) helped so we know a lil bit

it's a little bit complicated, the deal with renting the CoC is:
a) it needs to be free that day/night (duh)
b) CoC, or any building/room, costs lots and lots of $, BUT CoC is a special building where it's free if you are a student organization organizing an event....so in the interest of dollars, shrouding it under a group name would be optimal
c) space.gatech.edu <-- if you're super serious, they got numbers for you

umm yea so finding a good public location which is easy on the wallet is the biggest issue around here....but if you're looking for talent, look no further than our room =D
sometimes xif comes over and won't play peach against us because WE ARE BUT PEONS IN HIS EYES

mecatomato

Smash Lord
i helped a friend run a thingy here in the CoC, and roomies (Tong + Jeff) helped so we know a lil bit

it's a little bit complicated, the deal with renting the CoC is:
a) it needs to be free that day/night (duh)
b) CoC, or any building/room, costs lots and lots of $, BUT CoC is a special building where it's free if you are a student organization organizing an event....so in the interest of dollars, shrouding it under a group name would be optimal
c) space.gatech.edu <-- if you're super serious, they got numbers for you

umm yea so finding a good public location which is easy on the wallet is the biggest issue around here....but if you're looking for talent, look no further than our room =D
sometimes xif comes over and won't play peach against us because WE ARE BUT PEONS IN HIS EYES
Ask XIF to play peach. I asked him to play peach and he did it. O.o

im down for this if its melee baby
I am going for melee, if this tournament becomes truth. =P

but some people want/ also want brawl, so I will have to consider more about it.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Ask XIF to play peach. I asked him to play peach and he did it. O.o

I am going for melee, if this tournament becomes truth. =P

but some people want/ also want brawl, so I will have to consider more about it.
lol whatever works man brawl get money so go for it but melee is better :)

mecatomato

Smash Lord
I'd go if the pot was bigger and if it was for Brawl.
I'd go for Melee also if this starts happening.
lol whatever works man brawl get money so go for it but melee is better :)
yeah...
IF POSSIBLE,

I would like to have them both at once, but i don't think the time will let us do so. lol.

this is one reason i want it to be bi-weekly,
so that on first tourney of that month, we could go for melee
and brawl for the other.

if it happens to be Monthly, I DO NOT KNOW. ;_;

i might throw out a survey or something. heh.

oh well,

All Three of you guys, Thank you for the interest. =)

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
broski i could have told you ahead of time that it costs way too much money to host @ tech, less you part of a frat.

no topic required

GAwes

Hidden Boss
I would love for this to be melee. But with a door fee (at all, even if its 5 bucks) you may want to make these monthlies, that would force more people to go (the whole, meh, im not goin to this one, i'll go to the one in 2 weeks) with this being monthly and waba having monthlies as well, we'd have tournaments theoretically every 2 weeks, if these were bi-weeklies we'd have 3 tournaments a month, and while that sounds awesome in theory, nobody is gonna go out of their way nearly every single weekend to play smash, especially when they have door fees. See, back when the community was huge (its been huge basically 3 times) the second and third time i had bi-weeklies with no door fee first in my garage and then later in my apartment in ATL, and even then you'd be lucky to pull 12-16 people. I dont want you to lose money out of pocket, get pissed, and stop doing this, cause its a good idea, so if i were you, i'd shoot for that student backing status, door fee is 5 bucks, and its a monthly, hold the tournies 5 bucks single 5 buck pp for teams, any extra money from the door fee goes to the pot for the next tourney

(or you could hold them all up for a while, and after about 4 months offer an "out of state bonus" to any out of state player that takes first at that tournament, see where im goin here? you're making it more of a challenge for the players, keeping the price low, and helping to secure people actually showin up)

oh, and to reiterate, MELEEEEEEEEE PLEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEEE

even if there is both, melee absolutely rules, and there's already some goodass players at GT that i'd love to play more often.

_GAwes

mecatomato

Smash Lord
I would love for this to be melee. But with a door fee (at all, even if its 5 bucks) you may want to make these monthlies, that would force more people to go (the whole, meh, im not goin to this one, i'll go to the one in 2 weeks) with this being monthly and waba having monthlies as well, we'd have tournaments theoretically every 2 weeks, if these were bi-weeklies we'd have 3 tournaments a month, and while that sounds awesome in theory, nobody is gonna go out of their way nearly every single weekend to play smash, especially when they have door fees. See, back when the community was huge (its been huge basically 3 times) the second and third time i had bi-weeklies with no door fee first in my garage and then later in my apartment in ATL, and even then you'd be lucky to pull 12-16 people. I dont want you to lose money out of pocket, get pissed, and stop doing this, cause its a good idea, so if i were you, i'd shoot for that student backing status, door fee is 5 bucks, and its a monthly, hold the tournies 5 bucks single 5 buck pp for teams, any extra money from the door fee goes to the pot for the next tourney

(or you could hold them all up for a while, and after about 4 months offer an "out of state bonus" to any out of state player that takes first at that tournament, see where im goin here? you're making it more of a challenge for the players, keeping the price low, and helping to secure people actually showin up)

oh, and to reiterate, MELEEEEEEEEE PLEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEEE

even if there is both, melee absolutely rules, and there's already some goodass players at GT that i'd love to play more often.

_GAwes
oh, hi GA Wes =)

thanks for the interest.

idea of biweekly is from SSBO (Purdue University Smash tournament), because i am from purdue. hehe

this is just a planning for now, which means, it can be changed anytime if needed.

RIGHT NOW, i am sorry, but i am not really using my time finding space.
too busy studying and playing smash lol.

However, i promise you and other people who are interested in this topic, that i will find the place out, eventually.

Free spot (no door fee) if i can find one, if not..
I HOPEFULLY drag some frat guy to rent room for us (then the charge goes less than 50%)
so that i can save everyone's money and attract more people.

I will keep your words in mind,
and hopefully by next semester, this plan becomes real.

Again, Thank you for your interest. =)

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
Actually, in terms of frats, you might be able to do Mike G's old frat...they still play smash a bunch from what I hear. (Tho, I forget which one that was...). Or, I am still for starting up events at ULC every week or two. We already have you + sleepy + tong + elliot + myself playing a bunch...get a few more faces and it would be good fun

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
If you guys want Brawl monthlies, then I'm sure the Play N Trade in Dacula will host monthlies if the outcomes are good. They are amazing at running the tournament and pretty cool guys. Just promise them 30+ people and it will happen.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
we play like every day lols

sleepyk is camped out in our room like 3-4 days a week doing nothing but playing games, so it's pretty much open invitation whenever cause he's always available to play, then elliot and jeff or i will throw in a few games and lots of times mecatomato wants to smash and he does cause he doesn't live v. far.

xif hasn't stopped by a lot lately like yesterday was teh first time he came by all month.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Actually, in terms of frats, you might be able to do Mike G's old frat...they still play smash a bunch from what I hear. (Tho, I forget which one that was...). Or, I am still for starting up events at ULC every week or two. We already have you + sleepy + tong + elliot + myself playing a bunch...get a few more faces and it would be good fun
I don't really know Mike G and his frat.. >_>
but if possible, that would do, too.

and, errr
about ULC thing, i don't know. lol
is there space that we can occupy in ULC, besides your room?

I wish I could come to these =/

****ing job is taking up 9/10 my life -_-;
Awww, sorry to hear that.

we play like every day lols

sleepyk is camped out in our room like 3-4 days a week doing nothing but playing games, so it's pretty much open invitation whenever cause he's always available to play, then elliot and jeff or i will throw in a few games and lots of times mecatomato wants to smash and he does cause he doesn't live v. far.
True. lol
Since SleepyK stays at Tong's place from Monday to Thursday (usually)
i play on Tuesday a lot. i get out of classes at 1:25 that day.

So if anyone wants to play, during weekdays or whenever,
ask Daniel, Jeff or Elliot for playing at their place.

is there some time type of age requirement for this?? o.o
Nope. Age does not matter

Top Bottom