• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Social Thread

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
3. Larger pot will increase attendance. As many other were saying the door fee will scare(lack of a better word) off newer members of the community. To expand why not just host small torunies with small pots. Operating cost will stay the same with a larger crowd.
4. The waba center sound tempting but it would I fear it would cause the same results that we had at USGA and the original WABA store. If we are worried about expanding the community we need to make waba as accessible as possible to the entire state.
5. My Dream tournament center would have fast food venues near by. A nice looking external environment and LOTS of walking room. That seems to be the biggest complaint. Wifi for streaming.

bigman40

Smash Master
1. What is the highest Entry Fee you would honestly pay to play in a SSBB tournament that guaranteed at least $2,500 prize pool?

$10
$15
$20
$25 <---
$30
$40
$50

2. How about if it was a guaranteed $5,000 prize pool?

$20
$25
$30
$35 <---
$40
$45
$50

I can go higher if needed though. As long as appropriate reason are told, I have no problem paying more money.

3. Do you think a large entry fee and large prize pool would increase attendance or decrease it? Why?

Large prize pool definitely brings in more people (mainly from out of state). Entry fees depend on how high/low you make it for said tourneys. Unless you were sponsored money, then I would suggest having a reasonable amount and slowly increase the fees when people register late (seeding a regional/national is very important and late signups make things harder than necessary).

4. Would you like to see WaBa Tournaments in multiple and different locations/venues or a 'Waba tournament center' building with food, drinks, rankings, music, full set ups, atmosphere etc...? Why?

This heavily depends on your income and our consistent attendance. If you can't keep paying for a center, then have the tourneys at different locations until you're financially stable to have a center. I'm pretty sure that we would love to see you again with a tourney center though.

When setting up the location(s), make sure you have available hotels nearby for people that come from out of state and a wide range of available food. Lots of people love to bring their own setup, so you can most likely have about 3/4s of full setups in the back to be used when needed. For music, I'd opt for a more it, but not as loud next time lol. It'll get everything running quickly and then during the downtimes, you can play the music then. Also, what rankings did you have in mind? I liked before when you had the pictures up for the winners of previous tourneys. That was pretty tight.

5. What suggestions and ideas do you have to make your fantasy tournament center (please try to keep it down to earth and realistic)?

Spacious place with a main location for the livestream and finals. Lots of comfortable chairs cause no one likes standing all the time. I don't really have much else, but it's almost mandatory to get internet for livestream (that'll help bring even more people later on). Oh yeah, have the tourney start much earlier so that we can accommodate for pools and such to get the most out of our money. I would say to try starting the tourneys at about 11 AM or so unless you plan on doing a two-day tourney. It would keep us from playing at like 1 am.

Also, this might be relevant for you, but you might wanna also think about an Amateur bracket for newcomers that are nervous about jumping in and getting ***** by the better players. Here's the thread for more details on it.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=284868

Please copy and paste this and answer, or just answer by #. Your input is greatly appreciated!

No problem. Happy to know you might have something big going down for GA soon. :)

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Hey Guys,

Yes, it's true USGA is NO longer a home for 'Waba'. It's a long story, but the short of it is I couldn't continue working with USGA without getting paid. I was spending too much money and working too hard for a partner who gave me excuses instead of support. Sorry about the inconvenience...

But, I am working on Bringing Waba Back to Life!!!

I am even working with Nolan Bushnell (Inventor of 'PONG' / Founder of Atari and Chuck E Cheeses) on the future 'Waba' company! I'm in Seattle atm working with some great people trying to make it happen. I'm working on getting a tournament together for December 4th, 2010 with Nolan Bushnell there to meet and greet with people and give out the prizes. I'll get you guys more info as I get confirmations and details. So keep that Saturday open!!!

Survey Question for all you tournament players:
What is the highest Entry Fee you would honestly pay to play in a SSBB tournament that guaranteed at least $2,500 prize pool?

$10
$15
$20
$25
$30
$40
$50

How about if it was a guaranteed $5,000 prize pool?
$20
$25
$30
$35
$40
$45
$50

Let me know guys asap, so I can discuss the results with Nolan and my partners. Thanks in advance...

MIN
WaBa LIVES :)

Kinda late but uhhh tbh

I'd pay the highest amount ($50) for a in state tourney that big. Simply because I know any other national I'll wind up spending even more money+travel expenses, so I mean I'm down for it lol.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I really do wonder with some of you. There are so many people who can't scrape together $10 for local tournaments; why would they suddenly be willing to pay so much more for tournaments they know they won't stand a chance in?

I understand that they want the chance to play against really good players, but you could always pay the venue fee and play friendlies/money matches for that.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I really do wonder with some of you. There are so many people who can't scrape together $10 for local tournaments; why would they suddenly be willing to pay so much more for tournaments they know they won't stand a chance in?

I understand that they want the chance to play against really good players, but you could always pay the venue fee and play friendlies/money matches for that.
Since when was the smash community about the money?

bigman40

Smash Master
I only had my amounts to attempt to balance out the profits. If it wasn't during this recession, I'm sure people wouldn't have such a problem scraping $10.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Well for big tourneys I know a high entry fee makes since to pay for the tournament but it cost a lot to travel from a far and adding a super high entry fee, like 50 dollars, doesn't cater to our guest.

I have never been OoS how do they generally operate?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Since when was the smash community about the money?
In essence, never, but that's the usual excuse. The point is, I wonder how reliable some of these claims are when they won't even go to local tournaments because it's too much money for them.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I only had my amounts to attempt to balance out the profits. If it wasn't during this recession, I'm sure people wouldn't have such a problem scraping $10.

QFT
In essence, never, but that's the usual excuse. The point is, I wonder how reliable some of these claims are when they won't even go to local tournaments because it's too much money for them.
Valid statement. I agree with ever word.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well as OoS I would be willing to pay a little bit more for these large, $2500, $5000 tourneys than you guys would I guess, cuz you still see them as locals. i think more OoS should answer these questions since in the end that is where they're gonna get a lot of the hype from the smash community from

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
This should also be posted in the tournament listings.

Maybe even a valid poll on the thread so we can keep track.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I am NO longer with USGA, which means my equipment is NO longer with USGA. 90% of the TVs in the tournament room @ USGA is gone, the PA/sound system is gone, people to run the tournament are gone, so unless you guys want to go there and take everything you need to run a tournament, there will be NO tournament at USGA.

I'm looking at the next WABA tournament being on DEC 4th @ SPSU. I'll post details when everything is confirmed soon.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

MIN
WaBa GaMe
WOOOOOOO SPSU!

message me some time about SPSU. I got connections.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
but I mean most tourney's that are that big people have more than enough time to plan for so it'd make sense right?

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
@min: main thing you should keep inmind for the $5,000 tournament is to give MONTHS of time for people to get the word out and to move things around in the schedules.

Umby

Smash Master
but I mean most tourney's that are that big people have more than enough time to plan for so it'd make sense right?
Granted, but a month is also often enough to gather/borrow appropriate funds for local stuff (I know I'll get some shifty-eye looks on this one). Even if you skipped enough locals to save for th larger more expensive tournament, one should be able to attend at least 1 or 2.

NoID

Smash Rookie
1. 25-35$
2. 35-40$
3. This would definitly bring more oos and more local but obviously only if you plan well ahead and let people hype it up let people know about big prize pool tournies way in advanced so it could be planned for.
4. I prefer a tournament center just because it would be less confusing for monthlies, it would be a pain to have monthlies in a different spot everytime. But for bigger tournies I wouldn't mind driving out of the way to a different/bigger venue.
5. Bigger space, lots of setups, cheap food/drinks/snacks, Big Projector for really hyped matches, livestream, AC, neatness.

Btw any smashfests/tournies going on this weekend in and around GA? i got the weekend off for the monthly but looks like its a no go.

Player-3

Smash Hero
my johns usually involve other things or ride johns... i've only johned about money once i think and that was because i was saving up my money to spend on things in europe

which was worth it more than smash tourny imo

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
my johns usually involve other things or ride johns... i've only johned about money once i think and that was because i was saving up my money to spend on things in europe

which was worth it more than smash tourny imo
You shouldn't john because you are too lazy to go get your license.

nevershootme

Smash Master
i'm coming up to atlanta tomorrow to explore (and shop for stuffs). any smashfests available on a tuesday?, and if possible is it cool if i can crash at someone's place for the night? will tip and train FL style :-p

brawl or melee, don't care. and any other games i can play too (mbaa, ssf4, etc)

BigLøu

Smash Lord
i'm coming up to atlanta tomorrow to explore (and shop for stuffs). any smashfests available on a tuesday?, and if possible is it cool if i can crash at someone's place for the night? will tip and train FL style :-p

brawl or melee, don't care. and any other games i can play too (mbaa, ssf4, etc)
Are you only up here for one day? I would say we can play but I have class tomorrow. Maybe another day this week?

So Lounis about that wifi match that u said would count for the PR.....2-0.... :]

:metaknight: :diddy:
LOL YO *** GOT LUCKY

iam going to the tourney in augusta if anyone needs a ride
Good stuff dude see ya there. We should talk about going to some big tournies together later :D

nevershootme

Smash Master
Are you only up here for one day? I would say we can play but I have class tomorrow. Maybe another day this week?
Thing is that I start work next week so i don't get any free time until the weekends. I can also stay overnight or 2 in the city somewhere (since i refuse to drive in the dark for 2 hours to home)

anyways, here's my number for the hell of it

786-280-1680

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
speaking of calvin, my laptop broke over the dallas weekend so i've been unable to post biglou vs scatt and biglou vs kismet2 from the last monthly. ironically, rendering the set exasperated a heating issue i've been having (someone tripped over my cord and screwed the solder on the power adapter port). THE SET WAS TOO HOT FOR MY LAPTOP

i got a new one recently so they'll be up on calvin's channel soon!

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
speaking of calvin, my laptop broke over the dallas weekend so i've been unable to post biglou vs scatt and biglou vs kismet2 from the last monthly. ironically, rendering the set exasperated a heating issue i've been having (someone tripped over my cord and screwed the solder on the power adapter port). THE SET SHIRTLESS CAPERS WAS TOO HOT FOR MY LAPTOP

i got a new one recently so they'll be up on calvin's channel soon!
Lounis broke it! We told him not to do it, but he did anyway.. he made money off it too!

:metaknight::metaknight::metaknight:

D

Deleted member

Yeah.

I don't think there's a smashfest or tourney set up for that thanksgiving weekend, but we'll set one up for sure.

We'll figure out whos in and out of town then set up a smashfest.

Edit:

BBQ@10:05 pm: tell him that we'll only take him if he has *******

You must bring ******* with you.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Hey guise.
I'll be in GA on the 25th-30th
Anyone wants to play some melee bros with me? That would be cool.
Laijin. There might be something going on either at my place or at my friend's place.

I'll AIM you the details and stuff later

Top Bottom