• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice
Since Kazuya happened, I think Geno's not impossible. Here's the best for you guys tomorrow.
Just curious on why you think that? Does Kazuya have something that relates him to geno? Not trying to be rude just really curious. I for one think he's never coming to smash at this point.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Just curious on why you think that? Does Kazuya have something that relates him to geno? Not trying to be rude just really curious. I for one think he's never coming to smash at this point.
The Heihachi costume could have been slotted with Kazuya but it wasn't. I don't know if this would apply for a character who the costume is based off of (Heihachi didn't get in, Kazuya did) but I'm not gonna rule it completely out if there is precedent.

And there is precedent for these "never evers" coming to Smash so whether it's tomorrow or Smash 6, I don't think it's completely impossible tbh but he's also not on my radar. Just wanted to wish best wishes is all.

QQS

Smash Lord
Hoping the best for tomorrow! Long time I’m not here. But I wanted to say this:

I think Geno could be our Cherry of the Cake. Who says it can’t be?

If not Geno, my thing is:

Most wanted:
-Crash
-Rayman
-Tails (or Eggman)
-Zelda rep
-Hayabusa

Most likely:
-Rayman
-Pokemon (Decidueye, Urshifu or new PT)
-Waluigi
-Porky
-Master Chief (so Microsoft would have 3 like Square Enix)

But again, I think they are going BIG again, and what a better pick than a fan favorite again like Banjo-Kazooie, being the “Last Never Ever”, along with Isaac and Sora I guess.

If it doesn’t happen, Im okay, will always love this amazing game. But may the stars align and may the puppet shines!

GENO GRANTS THE FINAL WISH!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The Heihachi costume could have been slotted with Kazuya but it wasn't. I don't know if this would apply for a character who the costume is based off of (Heihachi didn't get in, Kazuya did) but I'm not gonna rule it completely out if there is precedent.

And there is precedent for these "never evers" coming to Smash so whether it's tomorrow or Smash 6, I don't think it's completely impossible tbh but he's also not on my radar. Just wanted to wish best wishes is all.
That logic is more for Mallows favor then Geno

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Oh look, it’s TooManyToastahs back with the same disgustingly sappy wall of text again for like, the third time.

… Actually not quite. Yeah it’s uh, still gonna be a long post but instead of doing that thing I usually do again I just wanted to take a moment and emphasize how much of an impact we have had on this character’s relevance. Without everyone’s combined appreciation for Geno and SMRPG as a whole, this character would not have anywhere near the amount of recognition he does today.
It’s a total bummer to get what feels like a consolation prize two games in a row, I get that and I empathize, but let it be known that Geno wouldn’t have even gotten that if not for your support as a whole. Our collective passion for this character and the spinoff title he originates from managed to create such a loud stir that the director of Smash Bros. himself had to acknowledge it.

You all know this, and I’m not implying this is crazy new info nobody knew. But I think we all get caught up in what didn’t happen and we forget to see what did. Everyone should at least feel a little proud for helping get this far, and if Geno doesn’t show up now then I can guarantee you he’ll show up at some point, all thanks to the work you all have done.

This might be my last post on here for awhile, or it might not depending how things play out. Regardless I appreciate you all for having me here, it’s been a real honor to read through this thread and interact with you all. These past several years have had their ups and downs, whether that be thread related, game related, or personal struggles, but you all at least made the journey a fun one. There’s been a lot of speculation, excitement, disappointment, good takes, bad takes (guilty as charged haha), and pie discussion (oooh deep cut geno thread lore), but above all else, there’s been a lot of talking about Smash Bros… Oh yeah and something about friendship or whatever.

Anyways I’ve got college stuff to work on so I’ll take my leave. I’ll keep the thread open though to stay updated. Hopefully this is the last time I’m allowed to write one of these posts because I’m pretty sure people are gonna get sick of this… regardless, best wishes everyone! :geno:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Such a statement is up for debate.
Not if it’s just someone’s opinion? If he had said “it’s a good thing Smash speculation might be ending,” then he’s making a statement of fact that can be challenged. If he’s just saying that he’s glad speculation might be over, then he’s just telling you how he feels. You can disagree with the basis for that feeling, but not the feeling itself.

Sorry, I know that probably sounds super-nitpicky. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

D

Deleted member

Wholesome post, there's a lot there and nothing I wanted to address specifically, so I kept Geno because I think it's great that this website has a Geno emote when the guy's not even in Smash.

Over the years, the fanbase for this character has irreversibly changed the way he's viewed and I think it's probably fair to say that the collective Geno fanbase has changed Smash character speculation, too. It could have been a one and done, like so many things in Mario, but his unending coolness factor survives 25 years later. I wonder if the dedication over the years for this guy has inspired similar dedication for other characters?

I hope it pays off for them, or maybe it already has?

Like I said before, I'm going to keep hope alive. The odds are slim, but that's what playing an RPG is about, right? Small party, unstoppable force, bad RNG? We've all managed bad odds. I hope this evening (or afternoon, for the west coast lads) is great regardless of Smash. We're not out of the woods, so the world definitely needs good video games to help us through the bad times.

Whatever happens, no choice but to go with the flow. No need for me to go into my feelings on a potential next Smash game again, whatever happens, I hope I'll be there for it, but I don't know how involved I'll be. What I do know is that I can be happy with the amount of young guns I've seen get into Smash and think that Geno's cool thanks to the endless posts people like us make. Kids half my age have played Super Mario RPG and know Geno and have told me he's high on their list of wants for Smash, so as the future goes on, I know that even when guys like me call it quits, there's gonna be someone to take my place. Hopefully they'll aggressively ****post just as hard.

One final time.
image0-1.jpg

Hype irresponsibly.

Shoutouts to Spatulo, wherever he may be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Well, they 100% confirmed that the last character is 100% the last character.

No announcement of further DLC being in development, and hyping this presentation up as revealing the LAST character and the FINAL presentation, yeah, CP11 is all that she wrote in the end.

D

Deleted member

Ugh, 10 in the morning on a Tuesday...

Not the best odds for a good character if you ask me.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
It feels weird to see confirmation that Martinet will be having cameos in the Mario movie, but not having been cast as the main character, whom he's been doing for 25 years now.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

No announcement of further DLC being in development, and hyping this presentation up as revealing the LAST character and the FINAL presentation, yeah, CP11 is all that she wrote in the end.
Yep, and since they are announcing it almost two weeks out, thus giving speculation to build and build and go critical.......

.....they essentially issued character 11 a death sentence.

Unless it's one of the very very few hype characters, the backlash will be swift from Smash fans because of who it isn't.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Well that most certainly was not my last post on here for awhile, since we have to wait just a bit longer for October 5th. Get me off this wild ride Mr. Bones PLEASE
anyways cool direct guys can’t believe geno’s finally coming back. just uh, not how i expected
0AF8A09A-FEE3-451E-8626-536AD08A9B66.jpeg

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yep, and since they are announcing it almost two weeks out, thus giving speculation to build and build and go critical.......

.....they essentially issued character 11 a death sentence.

Unless it's one of the very very few hype characters, the backlash will be swift from Smash fans because of who it isn't.
Character 11 always was going to be walking into a live firing range, regardless of who they are.

You could drop someone like Master Chief, and people would still be upset.

The fact is, at the end of the day, you can't please everyone.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

I completely disagree here. The fact that it's being given this much love is simply because it's the final character for this pass. It's funny how people think that just because this is the end for now means it's the end always. They could vey easily drop something in this presentation for more content somehow, and even if they don't, the Switch has like 3 or 4 more years in which something could happen for it, and that's ignoring the life the could be breathed into it via the Switch Pro which is likely to be early next year.

I mean, we CLEARLY need a hardware upgrade, as some of these games just look too good or too limited for the console. Doing their best though.

Also, wouldn't be the first time more characters or more content was announced or given more information on in a Sakurai Presents.

Shroob

Sup?
I completely disagree here. The fact that it's being given this much love is simply because it's the final character for this pass. It's funny how people think that just because this is the end for now means it's the end always. They could vey easily drop something in this presentation for more content somehow, and even if they don't, the Switch has like 3 or 4 more years in which something could happen for it, and that's ignoring the life the could be breathed into it via the Switch Pro which is likely to be early next year.

I mean, we CLEARLY need a hardware upgrade, as some of these games just look too good or too limited for the console. Doing their best though.

Also, wouldn't be the first time more characters or more content was announced or given more information on in a Sakurai Presents.
Couple things:

1#

They don't say "Fighter's Pass 2", they straight up say "Final Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC character". If they said "Fighter's Pass 2", you'd have some wiggle room here, they didn't. They straight up said in this tweet it's the final DLC character, full stop.

2#

They announced the 2nd Fighter's Pass in Byleth's Presentation yes, but they had already announced "More DLC is in development!" back in the September 2019 Direct, which was a full 4-5 months heads up that more was coming. Sakurai's been saying since March of this year that FP2 is the end, this seals the deal. We've gone through 3 Directs where they could have announced "More DLC is in development!", and they didn't. They didn't in Feb, they didn't at E3, and they didn't today, and now they're saying this is the Final Smash Presentation.

I dunno, you tell me what's more likely. That this is all an elaborate ruse to hide more DLC is actually coming, or in 10~ days Sakurai will wave to the camera and say "It's finished." I know what option sounds more likely.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
God I wish that Astral Chain easter egg means something in that Bayotrailer

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Couple things:

1#

They don't say "Fighter's Pass 2", they straight up say "Final Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC character". If they said "Fighter's Pass 2", you'd have some wiggle room here, they didn't. They straight up said in this tweet it's the final DLC character, full stop.

2#

They announced the 2nd Fighter's Pass in Byleth's Presentation yes, but they had already announced "More DLC is in development!" back in the September 2019 Direct, which was a full 4-5 months heads up that more was coming. Sakurai's been saying since March of this year that FP2 is the end, this seals the deal. We've gone through 3 Directs where they could have announced "More DLC is in development!", and they didn't. They didn't in Feb, they didn't at E3, and they didn't today, and now they're saying this is the Final Smash Presentation.

I dunno, you tell me what's more likely. That this is all an elaborate ruse to hide more DLC is actually coming, or in 10~ days Sakurai will wave to the camera and say "It's finished." I know what option sounds more likely.
What I'm saying is that even if there is nothing but CP11 and the content that comes with them on the 5th, that doesn't mean there can't be more later.

It doesn't HAVE to show up here. We could just get small events and patches for a while and then suddenly get more content announced when we thought it was over. I still think we could get something kinda big for the Switch Pro in terms of a Switch Pro patch that would optimize if for a more capable console.

If it makes you feel better, I don't expect anything on the 5th other than CP11 and their breakdown, costumes, and a lot of talk about the game and maybe something in honor of Ultimate.

Shroob

Sup?
What I'm saying is that even if there is nothing but CP11 and the content that comes with them on the 5th, that doesn't mean there can't be more later.

It doesn't HAVE to show up here. We could just get small events and patches for a while and then suddenly get more content announced when we thought it was over. I still think we could get something kinda big for the Switch Pro in terms of a Switch Pro patch that would optimize if for a more capable console.

If it makes you feel better, I don't expect anything on the 5th other than CP11 and their breakdown, costumes, and a lot of talk about the game and maybe something in honor of Ultimate.
I mean, how long as you willing to hold out is my question?

Say, come the 5th, Sakurai says that they'll continue making balance adjustments and stuff, but actual content has come to a halt, are you really willing to have hope that something will come in the unknown future even though they say they're not working on content updates anymore?

If so, hey, more power to ya, I won't stop ya from thinking that, but just be aware that's basically clinging to a greased rope, you're gonna have to let go eventually.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I mean, how long as you willing to hold out is my question?

Say, come the 5th, Sakurai says that they'll continue making balance adjustments and stuff, but actual content has come to a halt, are you really willing to have hope that something will come in the unknown future even though they say they're not working on content updates anymore?

If so, hey, more power to ya, I won't stop ya from thinking that, but just be aware that's basically clinging to a greased rope, you're gonna have to let go eventually.
I'm a huge SkullGirls fan, since the beginning. If you know about the legacy of SkullGirls, you'll know what that means.

If not, imagine waiting several months for a patch for a game because the whole team got laid off by a failing publisher at launch of the game.

The game's popularity got snubbed by this, and when they fixed it the publisher severed ties with Konami who was making things impossible for them. Konami then forced them to change the name of the game. So after getting over $800,000 on Indiegogo, they had to redo a bunch of stuff and call it SkullGirls Encore.

Since then the game still never really had a chance to shine up until recently: it's one of the few games being hosted at this year's lackluster EVO. It was going to be part of an official lineup for last year's EVO until the face of EVO got exposed for being a kid diddler, and the whole thing got canned while restructuring happened.

Just last year it seems one of the two original founders of the game, Mike Zaimont, is a real piece of work and all the staff got fired without severance. They teamed up under a new company, and finally since 2015 with the release of SkullGirls 2nd Encore we are having a Season 1 Pass for DLC, and the first two characters are both ones I wanted way back in 2014. One of them is a big-time community favorite.

Plus, I'm an OG Geno fan. I can wait and root for things as long as they take. If it doesn't happen, big deal...but if it does...

BIG DEAL!

Shroob

Sup?
I'm a huge SkullGirls fan, since the beginning. If you know about the legacy of SkullGirls, you'll know what that means.

If not, imagine waiting several months for a patch for a game because the whole team got laid off by a failing publisher at launch of the game.

The game's popularity got snubbed by this, and when they fixed it the publisher severed ties with Konami who was making things impossible for them. Konami then forced them to change the name of the game. So after getting over $800,000 on Indiegogo, they had to redo a bunch of stuff and call it SkullGirls Encore.

Since then the game still never really had a chance to shine up until recently: it's one of the few games being hosted at this year's lackluster EVO. It was going to be part of an official lineup for last year's EVO until the face of EVO got exposed for being a kid diddler, and the whole thing got canned while restructuring happened.

Just last year it seems one of the two original founders of the game, Mike Zaimont, is a real piece of work and all the staff got fired without severance. They teamed up under a new company, and finally since 2015 with the release of SkullGirls 2nd Encore we are having a Season 1 Pass for DLC, and the first two characters are both ones I wanted way back in 2014. One of them is a big-time community favorite.

Plus, I'm an OG Geno fan. I can wait and root for things as long as they take. If it doesn't happen, big deal...but if it does...

BIG DEAL!
Trust me, I'm aware of Skullgirls, I'm in the credits as a 250$ backer.

I think the big difference is that Skullgirls doesn't have an expiration date, since it's on Steam, the only time it ends, is basically when the devs say it does, while Ultimate ends, when the Switch's successor comes out.

Again, hey, more power to ya, but I don't think you'll find a lot of company in the "More is coming" camp after October 5th is all I'm saying.

D

Deleted member

It feels weird to see confirmation that Martinet will be having cameos in the Mario movie, but not having been cast as the main character, whom he's been doing for 25 years now.
Right? I think there's one of two reasons for that:
  • Charles can't do the Mario voice consistently within an acceptable amount of takes for a feature film
  • Nintendo wants A list actors to attract the general public like "Super Mario" isn't going to make money hand over fist in the theater.
As someone who almost never watches films or TV shows, the list of actors meant nothing to me outside of the genius level decision to cast Jack Black as Bowser and Seth Rogan as a gorilla. I have a sneaking suspicion that this movie is going to be a dumpster fire and will definitely not live up to the masterpiece that is the 1993 Super Mario Bros.

It'll be 11pm in Japan, so it's not the worst time tbh.
I'm probably very wrong but I've always thought that Japanese folks are probably "early to bed, early to rise" types due to their ****ed up work/life balance. Even if you consider Smash to be advertised directly at middle school aged children, I just can't imagine night owl kids in that society.

But, much like there's no character to please everyone, there's definitely no time of day to please everyone. Hero is probably the biggest thing Japan could ever ask for and all four of him was revealed at like 2 in the morning for them. I feel like generally, Nintendo does their reveals to appease their North American market, which is why Joker, Banjo and Sephiroth, the undisputed kings of this DLC, were shown off at events that primarily a US audience is tuned in to. Let's take a look at all of the "winners" we got before noon Eastern time:

Byleth
Min Min
Steve

In fact, I believe all three of these were 10 in the morning reveals. Things aren't looking great, but I take solace in the fact that the general twitter public acts like Geno would be on the level of these three. Well, not Steve. They love Steve.

Say, come the 5th, Sakurai says that they'll continue making balance adjustments and stuff
This is the best case scenario anymore, imo. It's not extremely bad, but the balance has taken a third row back seat in Fighter Pass 2, maybe as a result of COVID but I honestly think it's more in line with the Bayonetta situation in Smash 4 - the game's coming to a close and the team just does not give a ****. Longterm competitive viability doesn't mean anything to them, anyway. It's a shame to see that someone like Sephiroth is somehow the most balanced character out of the lot of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
This is the best case scenario anymore, imo. It's not extremely bad, but the balance has taken a third row back seat in Fighter Pass 2, maybe as a result of COVID but I honestly think it's more in line with the Bayonetta situation in Smash 4 - the game's coming to a close and the team just does not give a ****. Longterm competitive viability doesn't mean anything to them, anyway. It's a shame to see that someone like Sephiroth is somehow the most balanced character out of the lot of them.
Sadly, I very much think this will be the case. Each successive patch has had a lighter and lighter touch to the game balance, indicating that the dev team feels either really comfortable with the current balance or just straight up doesn't care anymore (or both). Granted, the balancing is pretty good, I'll admit, but we sure as hell better hope that the last fighter isn't broken AF or we're screwed. All it takes is another Sm4sh Bayo scenario to destroy the competitive viability of the game.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Sadly, I very much think this will be the case. Each successive patch has had a lighter and lighter touch to the game balance, indicating that the dev team feels either really comfortable with the current balance or just straight up doesn't care anymore (or both). Granted, the balancing is pretty good, I'll admit, but we sure as hell better hope that the last fighter isn't broken AF or we're screwed. All it takes is another Sm4sh Bayo scenario to destroy the competitive viability of the game.
I don´t know... Marth and Fox is kinda broken in Melee and that scene is thriving with their fanatic cult of a fanbase

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Trust me, I'm aware of Skullgirls, I'm in the credits as a 250$ backer.

I think the big difference is that Skullgirls doesn't have an expiration date, since it's on Steam, the only time it ends, is basically when the devs say it does, while Ultimate ends, when the Switch's successor comes out.

Again, hey, more power to ya, but I don't think you'll find a lot of company in the "More is coming" camp after October 5th is all I'm saying.
I wish I had that much money to throw at it at that time.

Also, this is just a mindset that you are having, as games get various amounts of support on Steam and a lot of them get the same amount as any other game. SkullGirls just keeps changing hands and it never got it's true DLC cycle after launch. It's own devs have had to fight to make it what it was and to continue supporting it, needing help from the community to financially back these expansions. They have never had a TRUE fighting game DLC Season Pass until now, and since this is the only game the company really has and people keeping giving them money (as well they should), they will go as long as they can.

Games get ported all the time, including updated or enhanced ports. I STILL think people should keep their eyes out for Smash once the Switch Pro becomes a thing, but that's just me.

And I don't need people to be in my camp. I find myself in the minority in these camps where I hold belief that things I want can happen even with very little chance, and so far I'm batting a very high average. Once Geno inevitably gets in, we get more SMRPG, or both I'll be batting a thousand...or whatever perfect is.

Well, close to it anyway. After that, all I'm waiting for is MvC4, a serious Naruto 2D fighter done by the FighterZ team, and Bloody Roar getting a revival.

Top Bottom