• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno's Bizarre Adventure part 2: Stardust Crusaders (Geno Support Thread #2)

D

Deleted member

You would think she would also be the holder for SMRPG music and with her being active in Smash that there would be music from SMRPG as well, but here we are unfortunately.

This licensing nightmare is specifically why people feel the next Smash will be gutted badly.
Lawyers presumably make a ****ton of money but I don't think any of them get paid enough to sort out the legal spaghetti that Smash has become. If it was up to these companies we'd be paying royalties to even play the game after the Switch's lifespan is over.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I don't remember Sakurai being uncertain about the other characters getting CGI presentations. I do remember him saying he wasn't sure if everyone would get a "Sakurai Presents", though.
From his Famitsu column a few weeks after Joker's reveal.
I’m familiar with P5, so writing dialogue that suited the character wasn’t much of an issue. Scheduling with Joker’s voice actor – who’s quite popular – was a different story. We had fun recording the lines, though; the atmosphere in the recording studio was pretty cheerful. We only ended up with a few lines of dialogue, though… What a waste…

I’m not sure about whether or not we’ll do reveal movies for the other DLC fighters, but I’d like to do what I can (within the realm of possibility) to make sure you all enjoy them.

D

Deleted member

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Thanks.

That's an odd thing for him to say, but it makes sense seeing as how Piranha Plant got virtually nothing. I don't think we've ever been able to figure out the timing of them putting these reveal videos together, but one would assume that once they gave the go-ahead on more, they would get them sorted out at around the same time as the character is decided.
Yeah I don't think there's really any knowing for sure. Like, we know Sephiroth's trailer was scripted before FF7R came out, which is why that game wasn't used as a reference, but nothing in relation to when the Pass 2 characters were picked. It's a shame that Sakurai isn't doing Famitsu columns anymore because he his insight into the development process was always fascinating to read and now he's got one less avenue to speak candidly about it.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I don't think there's really any knowing for sure. Like, we know Sephiroth's trailer was scripted before FF7R came out, which is why that game wasn't used as a reference, but nothing in relation to when the Pass 2 characters were picked. It's a shame that Sakurai isn't doing Famitsu columns anymore because he his insight into the development process was always fascinating to read and now he's got one less avenue to speak candidly about it.
The end of two eras, I suppose.

To be devil's advocate, smash is literally a party game has said by the maker of the game
Crazy how it won fighting game of the year without even being a fighting game, huh...

10 more mysteries science still can't explain.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The presentation is recorded fairly close to the actual reveal, so separately getting the rights to the music for that alone does make sense. You'd be getting the music rights for the game with the full character instead. Think of how long it takes to program a character, and we know the trailers are outsourced(meaning they are confirmed to be done separately as is), so there's going to be constant moments of this possibility.

I still don't believe the leak, but the July bit is actually realistic.

QQS

Smash Lord
I still have faith that Geno can be the Last Star and appear after 25 years of the “good-bye Geno” scene.

So many nice and epic picks, and so many I’m also rooting for like Crash, Rayman or another Sonic rep. But only one perfect pick to fulfill this long dream…

Anyway, let’s hope for the best and may the next DLC be a huge addition, I’m so sure it will be outstanding :)

D

Deleted member

I still have faith that Geno can be the Last Star and appear after 25 years of the “good-bye Geno” scene.

So many nice and epic picks, and so many I’m also rooting for like Crash, Rayman or another Sonic rep. But only one perfect pick to fulfill this long dream…

Anyway, let’s hope for the best and may the next DLC be a huge addition, I’m so sure it will be outstanding :)
I just have to say it.

You're the Geno thread's one and only national treasure. Never change.

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
Really do hope that final fighter is the puppet boi.
Do I expect that? No.
Do I think it's possible? Uh...probably not?
Either way, I've been on the edge of my seat pretty much any time a smash trailer has premiered since Smash 4, waiting for them to appear. Part of me doesn't even want to even consider Geno as an option when that final trailer starts playing, because I'll likely be setting myself up for failure again. Still probably going to do it anyways.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of promotion and hyping up on Twitter for the last fighter, but there's a gut feeling inside me saying that, even if Geno were still on the table, it still wouldn't be him, or anyone that comes close to him in terms of hype.

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
There are a lot of people out there who would find saving Geno for last the most fitting, but I doubt that's the majority of smash fans.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno would be a really cool way to end speculation. While I think his fate is sealed with a Mii Costume (which I am still really grateful for) I think a lot of people would have to admit Geno getting in as the last character would actually be pretty awesome. I still hope my stubborn "He's not getting in now" mentality will be proven wrong.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think one core difference with some characters is that Geno was likely planned for the Pass 1 costumes(with Hero) originally. He was moved to Sephiroth logically, due to Square and Enix being a bit more independent of each other than we thought. The other is that it's a returning costume, not an all new one.

I don't think he's likely or anything like that, but it's not the same as, say, Travis Touchdown or any Premium costume(one that covers the full body, like Bomberman and Vault Boy). I'm not going to get my hopes up either, and hell, my most wanted is far less likely than Geno anyway. XD

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
It does feel kind of weird that the Geno Mii costume wasn't a deluxe one. They wouldn't have even needed to give them a music track, just a head. Yet, it was just an updated version of the Smash 4 costume. You'd expect there to be more to the costume if it was their only representation in Ultimate.

Shroob

Sup?
It does feel kind of weird that the Geno Mii costume wasn't a deluxe one. They wouldn't have even needed to give them a music track, just a head. Yet, it was just an updated version of the Smash 4 costume. You'd expect there to be more to the costume if it was their only representation in Ultimate.
Eh, not really?

None of the other Mii costumes from Smash 4 got anything other than a graphical touchup.

It's a shame, I woulda liked the head too.

QQS

Smash Lord
I just have to say it.

You're the Geno thread's one and only national treasure. Never change.
thanks!! And yes, Geno is still on the road until the end or until the next Smash.

Geno was between the ones that started Smash speculation, then he was the Top Picks of it; and now Geno can finish Smash speculation and Smash Ultimate roster.

GENO RETURNS!

92E3980A-D318-4D8D-9B2D-131E83900BCC.jpeg

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of promotion and hyping up on Twitter for the last fighter, but there's a gut feeling inside me saying that, even if Geno were still on the table, it still wouldn't be him, or anyone that comes close to him in terms of hype.
Since its the Japanese side of their twitter that does, it does feel like characters like Chief or Crash is off the running imo

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Not exactly. I mention this a lot but when it comes to full faced Miis, the reason some have a full faced bobble head like Vault Boy or Sans is because their faces are nearly impossible to properly recreate on a Mii. Skull Kid also technically has a full faced bobble head but I don't hear anyone claiming he is a premium Mii costume. (But Shantae is a deluxe costume for having the same open face that makes Geno, Mega Man X not deluxe mii costumes???)

It's such a dumb topic in my opinion because everyone just brings up semantics about some Miis being better than others when the difference don't boil down to anything. The only major outlier is that Indie Game characters also get music to accompany them. But I don't think that warrants the idea "Cuphead should be more respected than Geno or Dante!" The only difference between those costumes is that the Mii Maker just doesn't work out for them. They are all still the same 75 cents when it's all said and done.

Last edited:

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
If you unironically think that Geno still has a chance, not sure saying Master Chief is out of the running makes much if any sense.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I get that, I just don't think the Mii faces work with the rest of Geno's wooden exterior.
I definitely feel like it's valid to feel that way. I would have liked a bobble head but I understand why they didn't. They don't want to outright eliminate the identity of the Mii. I just hate the gatekeeping some will try to make over claiming.some costumes are more worthy of being considered in Smash Bros than others when the difference are basically nothing.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Honestly, it's probably just because it was from Smash 4 when I think this "deluxe mii" thing wasn't a prominent thing. Had Geno waited until Ultimate, part of me feels like he'd have been given the full head. Then again, Skull Kid looks pretty on point for a Mii.

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
Geno being in Smash would mean a lot for the representation of Mario RPG in general, especially when it comes to it's soundtrack.

Fun Fact: There has only ever been 1 and a half official remixes of tracks from Super Mario RPG: A Mushroom Kingdom remix from Fortune Street and essentially a bootleg version of that same theme in one of the E-Reader levels from Super Mario Advance 4

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Geno being in Smash would mean a lot for the representation of Mario RPG in general, especially when it comes to it's soundtrack.

Fun Fact: There has only ever been 1 and a half official remixes of tracks from Super Mario RPG: A Mushroom Kingdom remix from Fortune Street and essentially a bootleg version of that same theme in one of the E-Reader levels from Super Mario Advance 4
I think 3 if you count the music album that has been released with new version of Forest maze and Goodbye Geno years ago.
Skip to 00:03:36 and 00:45:46
The orginal videos seems to have been taken down so this might be the only video left

Last edited:

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
I think 3 if you count the music album that has been released with new version of Forest maze and Goodbye Geno years ago.
Skip to 00:03:36 and 00:45:46
The orginal videos seems to have been taken down so this might be the only video left
Not sure if this counts as official. Even so, I was more referring to their appearances in games.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If you unironically think that Geno still has a chance, not sure saying Master Chief is out of the running makes much if any sense.
And whys that? One of them is unfortunately a DLC mii costume, the other one, while not having anything yet is a fricking nobody over in Japan... It makes sense to question his inclusion as the last if only the Japanese side is hyping the last one up

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
What do you mean only Japan is only hyping the last one up? I feel like there is still a lot of hype over here.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
What do you mean only Japan is only hyping the last one up? I feel like there is still a lot of hype over here.
I´m not talking bout the fandom, because of course, we are hyping it up for better or worse. I´m talking about Nintendo, and only the Japanese part of Nintendo seems to be hyping up the last fighter. And since someone like Master Chief is a nobody in Japan... I highly doubt the Japanese part would hyping up someone like that. Sora I could see since the popularity in Japan... Sure, I might be wrong, I´m not gonna deny that.. but the likes of Crash, Rayman, or Master Chiefs expiration date of being the next character more than likely died when they didn´t have a double reveal together with Kazuya, similar in how they did Banjo + Hero who was clearly a 1 for the west, 1 for the east type of situation. Add that on top of the fact that the Japanese market is Nintendos core demographic, always have been, always will be.

Internet_Goblin

Smash Cadet
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Does feel awful suspicous. Though, even saying the character is more likely to be from a franchise popular in japan really doesn't narrow things down much.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I´m not talking bout the fandom, because of course, we are hyping it up for better or worse. I´m talking about Nintendo, and only the Japanese part of Nintendo seems to be hyping up the last fighter. And since someone like Master Chief is a nobody in Japan... I highly doubt the Japanese part would hyping up someone like that. Sora I could see since the popularity in Japan... Sure, I might be wrong, I´m not gonna deny that.. but the likes of Crash, Rayman, or Master Chiefs expiration date of being the next character more than likely died when they didn´t have a double reveal together with Kazuya, similar in how they did Banjo + Hero who was clearly a 1 for the west, 1 for the east type of situation. Add that on top of the fact that the Japanese market is Nintendos core demographic, always have been, always will be.
So, Iiiicewolf. In terms of building up hype from japan, who do you think the final character is going to be?

Top Bottom