• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno or Bowser Jr. for last Mario series spot?

Black/Light

Smash Master
In New Super Mario bros, Bowser Jr was the main antagonist He captured peach on his own will and "used" bowser as a boss, Mario chased Bowser Jr across the game. Bowser Jr did not help bowser fight Mario until the end which means Bowser Jr was clearly running the show throughout the entire game.

Bowser Jr thought peach was his mom in Mario Sunshine, so on his own will he captured Peach.. and framed Mario.. Only at the end is Bowser really shown along with Bowser Jr, whose intentions were to have his family together.

Bowser Jr even stated in Mario Galaxy he did not follow his dad's orders or Need him, He has his own anger towards Mario which causes him to fight mario, with or without his dad.

Bowser Jr is not a Pawn, if anything hes becoming as important of an enemy as Bowser himself.
QFT. . . Makes the most sense of most post I have seen here.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Your making up your own fanfic.. If you play the actual Games it is clear Bowser Jr makes his own decisions.
NO, I'm pretty sure that Bowser just let him be in charge because he always fails against Mario...

That's not the point, the point was, I'm pretty sure Bowser would dispose of Jr. if he ever thought it would help him defeat Mario

D

Deleted member

3>1 You knew that right?
Yes but Geno's role was more major than Bowser Jr.'s 3.

That's my opinion.

Other people think otherwise.

That's also an opinion.

So what if BJ had 3? That doesn't mean his roles meant more than Geno's.

§leepy God

Smash Master
So Bowser Jr's going to be playable because he's your favorite character? God, you've got to love that logic... I have several thousand Daisy and Waluigi fans that'd like to talk to you...
Calm down please, I didn't say anything about the chance's of a spot at Brawl, I'm just saying who I like more is all.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
We don't know this if there is only one more spot for "the last Mario series spot". As far as we're concerned, there are five more Mario characters.

GENO'S AND BOWSER JR.'S CHACNES DO NOT EFFECT EACH OTHERS IN ANY WAY, DON'T EVEN COMPARE THEM.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
@shadenexus18: No, this is
I knew it! I knnnnew it! That dragon/gator/turtle is puuuuuure evil!! Of course he'd call Bowser Jr. a pawn. Not a rook, bishop, (maybe a queen), but a pawn. I mean.....look at those Wolverine esque claws!

*hides the children*

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
NO, I'm pretty sure that Bowser just let him be in charge because he always fails against Mario...

That's not the point, the point was, I'm pretty sure Bowser would dispose of Jr. if he ever thought it would help him defeat Mario
Just like he did with the Koopalings
*plays M&L*
Never mind :p

D

Deleted member

And it looks like those five mentions are the only reason people support Geno

There are more reasons why people support Geno. I have not yet seen one person walk up and say:

"i suport geno cuz he got 4 on teh polz."

and assumptions like BJ has less fans are ridiculous.
Just like assumptions saying that BJ is more popular and his 3 roles mean more than Geno's 1 role?

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion

Well you can believe what you want, I go by what the game and Nintendo says.

Just like assumptions saying that BJ is more popular and his 3 roles mean more than Geno's 1 role?
Bowser Jr is overall more important to the Mario franchise/series. than geno.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I never played M&L what happened with that?
Bowser gets possesed, his castle is hi-jacked, and the Koopalings are summoned to fight Mario and Luigi.

From Wikipedia-

"In Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, however, they are mini-bosses in Bowser's Castle."

vesperview

Smash Hero
Quoting this cause you obviously missed it.

They meant equally, without Geno you wouldn't finish SMRPG and without BJ there wouldn't be a Sunshine or New Super Mario Bros.
I never said he was more popular or that his role meant more, you are and please, no one's stupid enough to say they support him because of the polls but it's quite obvious that that is one of the reasons behind his hype and recent popularity, without the polls Geno fans wouldn't even be half as confident about his chances.

Black/Light

Smash Master
And please, no one's stupid enough to say they support him because of the polls but it's quite obvious that that is one of the reasons behind his appeal and recent popularity, without the polls Geno fans wouldn't even be half as confident about his chances.
QF MFing T

Really, this would be a "Seeing and Bowser Jr is a shoe, what would his attacks be" thread is that wasn't the case.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Quoting this cause you obviously missed it.

I never said he was more popular or that his role meant more, you are and please, no one's stupid enough to say they support him because of the polls but it's quite obvious that that is one of the reasons behind his hype and recent popularity, without the polls Geno fans wouldn't even be half as confident about his chances.

OBJECTION!! I'd still support him just for fun!!

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice
We don't know if BJ intentionally did it on his own though. Maybe Bowser told him. We don't know. All we can do is make inferences. We don't know what is official about what Bowser was doing to make BJ capture Peach.
It's indicated that Junior was acting independently several times throughout the game.

I'm pretty sure Bowser would dispose of Jr. if he ever thought it would help him defeat Mario
"I'm pretty sure," doesn't cut it as solid proof here. There's been plenty of times throughout the recent Mario games that Junior's worked entirely independently of his father. And the dialogue at the end of Sunshine would hint that Bowser doesn't see BJ as just another pawn. Don't speculate.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see the point in fighting about this, if they were BOTH in, it would be awesome...

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
Bowser Jr. gets my vote, he's starting to become a huge name in the Mario series, and putting him in Brawl would boost his popularity even more.

D

Deleted member

I am sorry for jumping to conclusion on you, vesper, but the popularity part was not only targeted you you but for the people that actually thinks that BJ is more popular than Geno. Hell, even for the people who says Geno is more popular than BJ.

As for the polls, that does increase his chances and it does boost the confidence for Geno fans because those polls mean something to Sakurai. Without the polls, Geno wouldn't be in Sakurai's journal. Now Sakurai is studying Geno and showing interest in Geno from the polls. So, the polls are a good defense for Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Geez relax, he said he would rather have Bowser Jr, not everything has to be logic and the polls.
The reason I'm uptight is because I'm sick of people acting like they'd catch the ebola virus if Geno was playable and people completely downplay everything that gives Geno his chances.

Geno was tied with King Dedede for the most mentioned character in Sakurai's journal. The journal consisted of the 290 entries into the offical poll that interest and amused Sakurai and his staff the most.

"Oh, those mean nothing despite 3 of the 9 characters that were mentioned 3 times or more already being confirmed (Diddy Kong, 4 entries, King Dedede, 5 entries, and Ike, 4 entries), 2 being semi confirmed (Ridley, 4 entries, and Krystal, 3 entries) and 2 others having more then decent chances (Captain Olimar, 3 entries, and Wind Waker Link, 3 entries). It also means nothing that he was only Mario character mentioned more then once, or how most of the characters forementioned have been highly requested even before Brawl was offically announced and are important parts of their respective franchises. It also means nothing that, coincidently of course, how highly demanded characters like Waluigi, Daisy, Saki, Deoxyes, etc didn't even appear in Sakurai's journal and became ATs"

Both directors of SMRPG and a former President of Square Enix work for Nintendo under Alpha Dream and were all involved in getting Geno in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

"Oh, they aren't important. They're much rather use their influence to get someone like Cloud or Sora who don't even truely have a single Nintendo exclusive but I guess that doesn't matter for a game that basically celebrates Nintendo's history..."

Yoko Shimomura is one of the composers for Brawl and did the music for all three non-Paper Mario RPGs. Geno appeared in 2 of those games and "Beware the Poison Mushrooms" is easily the most recongized Nintendo theme of hers and it was the only Mario theme that appeared in Sakurai's journal. There has been a decent amount of evidence that many of the composers are involved with at least one piece of music that they created in the past for Nintendo.

"You're an idiot! It doesn't matter that those three games were the only Nintendo games that she composed the music for! On the other hand, it gives PLENTY of evidence that Sora is going to be playable because Sakurai came right out and said that she did the music for the Kingdom Hearts franchise despite the fact that Sakurai has been extremelly secretive since the game was announced. Also, we all know that the music from the Mario and Luigi games is much more memorable and have been remixed many times."

Because Geno is a third party character from a first party franchise, he's basically worthless to Square Enix and naturally would cost much less then other third party characters to "rent". This point is proven by how Square Enix wasn't involved in the development of Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga and thus either made a trivial amount or no profit from the sales of the game.

"How do you know that a character that has only played one major role in a game that sold about 3 million copies 11 years ago is worth less then someone like Cloud who has played major roles in several million seller games and even stars in a multiple million dollar film that was basically created to help sell the PSP?"

There are other things too but I'm getting a headache just from typing all of this...

Geno's not guarenteed but his chances are completely God Awful like you people suggest. There are several people that have higher chances then Geno but whenever someone suggests Geno, people who are against him always fly off the handle because they believe to suggest Geno means to believe that he has a 100% chance. Personally, given what we have, I say that his chances are about 75% with probably about 6 people that have higher chances then he does. (Ridley, Krystal, Captain Olimar, Isaac, Megaman, and Lucario). Also, to add an even steeper ultimateum, Geno will either be playable or not appear at all because he's a third party character. I think that's pretty logical and realistic if you ask me but, you know, whatever floats your boat...

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Bowser Jr. gets my vote, he's starting to become a huge name in the Mario series, and putting him in Brawl would boost his popularity even more.
QFT

Bowser Jr has already established himself as a big threat, and really important to the series, him being in brawl will definitely help him establish a bigger fan base

vesperview

Smash Hero
The reason I'm uptight is because I'm sick of people acting like they'd catch the ebola virus if Geno was playable and people completely downplay everything that gives Geno his chances.
Please, you people act as if you caught the Ebola virus whenever someone posts that they don't want Geno in the game and no one is downplaying Geno any more than you people are downplaying Bowser Jr, so it's fair game.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Enough with the memes

On Topic: If Bowser Jr and Geno got in that would be ok, but if we had to choose Bowser Jr would be the better choice imo, because of his important to the series recently.
Urgh! I think I'm getting a since of de-ja-vu. Uh...haven't we already been down this road like....200 billion times?

@Ismar, ROFL! What?

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I only responded to your picture, my second comment was towards others.
Oh I know, it's a misunderstanding. I was talking to Ismar. And what I said to you is that basically, I know you like Bowser Jr more than Geno and want him to get in Brawl if you had to choose between the two. However, some people just can't understand that. Sad huh?

@Ismar, OHHHH! I meant to call you boss! Whoopsie!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Please, you people act as if you caught the Ebola virus whenever someone posts that they don't want Geno in the game and no one is downplaying Geno any more than you people are downplaying Bowser Jr, so it's fair game.
I'm downplaying Bowser Jr because I have plenty to go off of TO downplay him much like I was able to with Daisy and Waluigi when people insisted that I was insane for thinking that they wouldn't become playable. They've been playable in more then 20 games in the past 10 years, they said. It really doesn't matter because they are unimportant to the canon Mario games, I said. They are important because the spinoffs sell well, they said. That's hardly a factor, I said. Ugh...

Also, people like Deuceblade and Pieman has trivialized every point I've brought up and the "back talk" I had in the previous posts were based on some things they have said in this thread and in others.

Also, I don't care if people don't want Geno, it's how so many people insist that he doesn't have a chance simply because they either 1. don't know who he is or 2. don't like him.

As I've said, I believe that the Mario reps that are still in the running are Geno and Paper Mario. Just to let you know, I completely hate the idea of Paper Mario becoming playable but I don't deny his chances because nothing substancial has come out that suggests that his chances aren't decent.

Top Bottom