• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno or Bowser Jr. for last Mario series spot?

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
I didn't say anything that was flaming *points to rules* they just might save your life. ;) I was just giving you a tip.

Thanks IsmaR.

And I used to hate the idea of Geno, but since the shock of Dedede making it into Brawl, I decided anything is possible.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
How did you see Dedede as a shock? Kirby's main villain, highly requested, first party... o_O?

Now what I saw as a shock was Snake's confirmation. After his confirmation, anything is possible.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't say anything that was flaming *points to rules* they just might save your life. ;) I was just giving you a tip.

Thanks IsmaR.

And I used to hate the idea of Geno, but since the shock of Dedede making it into Brawl, I decided anything is possible.
Dedede shocked you!?!?! I thought that was the most obvious of the characters so far to make it...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Thanks IsmaR.

You were shocked about Dedede's addition? He's Nintendo's second most reoccuring antagonist, appears in all but one Kirby game, was heavily requested even before Melee, and was playable in the same number of canon games as Bowser was.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, 3 responses all asking the same thing. ^_^

Well... yes. I just imagined different characters in my mind to enter the Brawl world. More "hardcore" like Snake or whatever. I know he's famous in the Nintendo world, but I honestly never heard of him until he was announced. *is ashamed of my lack of knowledge in the Kirby world*

I didn't even know who MetaKnight was either.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986

Thanks IsmaR.

But uh.....Dedede is the main villain and Sakurai made Dedede so he was pretty much a shoe in.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Now,
here's something to debate about.

You say Geno played a mediocre role, eh? I guess Falco plays mediocre roles in Star Fox. I guess Luigi plays a ton of mediocre roles. I guess Diddy Kong plays mediocre roles.

It wasn't mediocre. Geno had an important role in Mario RPG. Without him, the Mushroom Kingdom would be gone. The story line affected Geno the most out of EVERYBODY in the game. He was sent on a quest to rebuild Star Road and defeat Smithy. Not Mario. Mario helped Geno. Geno didn't help Mario. Mario helped Geno.

So, technically, even though Mario was the main character in Mario RPG he was a supporting character for Geno.

Play the game before you talk about his role. It's important and a lot of people find his role more important than Bowser Jr's 3 roles and no one knows if that's true or not.

It's all opinions.
No that's not what I'm saying...Luigi doesn't play a mediocre role...he saved the legendary Mario...Diddy has his own games and he saved the one and only Donkey Kong...Falco on the other hand does play a mediocre role...his bio says something like "he has now left the Starfox team" All he does is argue with Fox and does his own thing...from what I can remember. I'm sorry for saying Geno plays a mediocre role...that was my bad and yes I need to play the game before I speak about roles..I was just going off what other people have said in the past. So I respect that.....I would like to see both enter Brawl, but if it came down to one like I said earlier....I would want it to be Bowser Jr.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Poke'mon Trainer had the biggest shock....seriously. Lets stay on topic though =D
Now that was the ultimate shock. Well, at least you can play as Chardzard.

On Topic: It depends on how many Mario reps. it is, it could be 6 or so. Or if Geno get's thrid party, 5 or 4.

D

Deleted member

No that's not what I'm saying...Luigi doesn't play a mediocre role...he saved the legendary Mario...

Geno saved Star Road...

Diddy has his own games and he saved the one and only Donkey Kong...Falco on the other hand does play a mediocre role...his bio says something like "he has now left the Starfox team" All he does is argue with Fox and does his own thing...from what I can remember.

Falco keeps leaving and coming back. It's confusing, I could never keep track.

I'm sorry for saying Geno plays a mediocre role...that was my bad and yes I need to play the game before I speak about roles..I was just going off what other people have said in the past. So I respect that.....I would like to see both enter Brawl, but if it came down to one like I said earlier....I would want it to be Bowser Jr.
And that is totally cool with me that you support BJ more but just keep in mind that you should play a game before you blast 'em.

Now that we're cool.
I never really let anyone know my opinions on Bowser Jr. but I could care less for him being in. I can only see 5 Mario reps getting in though and if Bowser Jr. or any other Mario rep gets in... I just hope it doesn't effect Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Now that was the ultimate shock. Well, at least you can play as Chardzard.

On Topic: It depends on how many Mario reps. it is, it could be 6 or so. Or if Geno get's thrid party, 5 or 4.
Melee had 5 so it definately won't be less then that. Also, I just thought of something, if it were only 5, the two unlockable characters would have to be Luigi and whoever replaces Dr. Mario and that makes me think, would Sakurai deliberately do the same thing twice? How boring.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Melee had 5 so it definately won't be less then that. Also, I just thought of something, if it were only 5, the two unlockable characters would have to be Luigi and whoever replaces Dr. Mario and that makes me think, would Sakurai deliberately do the same thing twice? How boring.
Twice as in unlocking Luigi? This will be our 3rd time unlocking the green machine if Masahiro chooses to do that.

iMichael

Smash Lord
No, I mean having two unlockable Mario characters again.
Oh...now I get you. I think Luigi will once again be an unlockable along with someone else(Bowser Jr., Geno, Daisy, Doc Mario) please do not argue on that list I just made...I was just naming characters that aren't confirmed and are from the Mario series.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh...now I get you. I think Luigi will once again be an unlockable along with someone else(Bowser Jr., Geno, Daisy, Doc Mario) please do not argue on that list I just made...I was just naming characters that aren't confirmed and are from the Mario series.
Also, if you think about it, that'd give the Mario franchise only one new rep which doesn't seem likely for Nintendo's largest and most important franchise epecially when you consider how it had 3 new reps in Melee.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well Sakurai said he's removing some, so I'm not expecting more than 3 Mario unlockables, and 2 newcomers to replace Doc.

3 seems to be the most reasonable number. The logical choices seem to be Luigi(Duh!:psycho:), Geno AND Bowser Jr.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well Sakurai said he's removing some, so I'm not expecting more than 3 Mario unlockables, and 2 newcomers to replace Doc.

3 seems to be the most reasonable number. The logical choices seem to be Luigi(Duh!:psycho:), Geno AND Bowser Jr.
See, that's perfectly logical (although I still say that Paper Mario has better chances then Bowser Jr).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
See, that's perfectly logical (although I still say that Paper Mario has better chances then Bowser Jr).
PM would be interesting to say the least. I'm just not a big fan of him, plus I don't like different versions of the same character :ohwell:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
"Blahblahblah oh mai gawd it's so hard tew giv tew newcomors tew teh biggast franchise of nintendoz"

-_-

Ok let's just end this once and for all in one simple post

The three main canidates for the slot are Bowser Jr Geno and Paper Mario, There are 6 Slots, Luigi is probably in, We have 3 Confirmed, That's four altogether who are in/probably in.

So let's look at our 3 Canidates a bit shall we?

Geno-
Placed very high on sakurai's polls and sakurai has seemed to show interest in him, However with no currency over other characters and a third-party makes him a bit annoying to obtain.

Bowser Jr.-
Seems unlikely with little role of the series and more of a "Pawn" As FMOI Explained, Really seems to fit better for a boss but i don't make this game.../Had the second biggest villian role in sunshine blahblahblah.

Paper Mario-
Is popular unique Blahblahblah paper mario games are popular and he has currency for a Mario RPG Rep and is recent blahblahblah.

So let's just hypothetically say that there is only 5 Spots and PM Get's cut or PM Get's announced as starting roster or w/e (Who gives two flying flips? We are going to unlock all the characters anyways.) So this leaves us down to Bowser Jr/Geno.

Now we can debate on this forever as they all have there ups and downs (Personally i would argue that the chain is Geno > Paper Mario > Bowser Jr.) And what if PM Doesen't get in? Wouldn't Geno and Paper Mario or Jr be good enough to represent the series? Or some other crazy combo? It's the biggest franchise with high importance and can easily have another rep, We can debate this forever but let's just say that there are two reps and one is going to go to Paper Mario/Geno/Bowser Jr And the other one will go to one of those you didn't pick as one dies in our arms.

So can we all please shut up about this now? This is kinda letting personal bias get in the way and everything. Besides, We could have debated why Little Mac was a shoo-in and sakurai STILL Would've deconfirmed him.

/Enough of that.

Also FMOI I noticed in your journal related posts with the ones with 3+ Entries you didn't even say Claus at all, And didn't you even say before from your own mouth that Claus had a higher chance then geno?

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
I just love the "can have a very original moveset" argument. This is very subjective, as Sakurai could make any character have a "very original moveset." I think what people mean is that it would be far easier to create a unique moveset, but no one around here is so articulate...

Anyway, phrases like that should be reserved for characters like Olimar where it's obvious they'd have a unique moveset as they would have some completely different character dynamics.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
So Mario (the biggest freakin' francise in Nintendo and has only gotten bigger since melee) is going to have smaller representation in Brawl than in Melee? Where's the common sense?
Why it's right in my post friend!

Seriously though. Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser are more than enough to represent the Mario Franchise. We all know Dr.Mario was a waste of a character (Since it's still Mario). And in a sense you can psuedo include Yoshi and Wario within the Mario franchise. So if anything I wouldn't be surprised of Geno ends up an AT and Bowser Jr. a boss.

And if anything I perfer Paper Mario above them. As long as he gets a moveset different from our Mario.

combatkid

Smash Rookie
In my opinion Bowser jr. has more more of a chance at getting into the game. Because he has been in recent games and is a bigger character in the series. And by new or younger audiences may be more known.

hello_kitty

Smash Journeyman
I think it should be the Dr. kicked out, the big 4 in, and Bowser Jr. in, Geno or Paper Mario as the RPG rep (PM is a better choice), and if there's another rep then Daisy to be the "spin off" rep.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr, Geno

ftw. both should make it in.

6 reps isnt TOO much, Mario is the most famous of Nintendo's series.

I've read that Geno is owned by Nintendo like how Diddy Kong is. Diddy Kong was made by Rare but Nintendo owns everything about DK even though Rare made the character. I read the same thing about Geno since he was in a Mario game that Nintendo owns him techinically.

^ @ above poster: Daisy as a spin off rep... isnt ever happening. Peach has her Daisy alt and thats all that there will be. Daisy is a horrible choice. ;x

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Bj and.. a hammer bro. Hammer Bros and other generic characters have been in waay more games than Geno, and are far more well known. Goomba, koopa, Hammer bro, even bullet/BONZAI Bills are synonomous with Mario's platforming/2-d side-scrolling antics. Now all we need is a hmmer bro RPG series, and Geno can go jump in a lake.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I want Geno so much more than Bowser Jr. I think he would add more diversity to the game and have a super unique moveset. Sakurai would be smart to put in Geno. Jr. would not be very unique. Sadly, I still believe that Bowser Jr. has a much higher chance of getting in. He is more well known and is becoming a recurring villain. IMO Geno's role can not surpass Bowser jr.'s. It would be best if both made it, but i think 6 Mario reps would be thinking too optimisticly.

T-major

Smash Champion
why does it have to be one or the other? they can both be playable... out of the two, Bowser Jr. is more deserving though. Geno, however, is more awesome and unique. not to say that Bowser Jr wouldn't be unique, because if he used the paintbrush from Sunshine as his main weapon, he would be super original, but Geno would still be more unique overall.

also, why is 6 Mario reps thinking too optimistically? it's the BIGGEST VIDEO GAME FRANCHISE EVER! not just Nintendo, out of ALL video games, Mario is the biggest, most popular franchise. it DESERVES that many reps!

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Bowser jr is awesome. Geno would be a cool character too, but I'd obviously prefer Bowser jr.

speaking of which, this is a topic about geno and bowser jr, not about hammer bros and waluigi, so let's keep this on topic shall we?

Top Bottom