• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno or Bowser Jr. for last Mario series spot?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
New Super Mario Bros. was a extremely successful and highly received game, which included Bowser Jr as the main antagonist.
Well, I didn't really like it.

And think again, BOWSER himself was the main antagonist. Bowser Jr, again was just a "mini boss" of sorts.

and Mario Sunshine was not as bad as people made it seem, its just people expected Super Mario 64 part 2, but they got something new. Mario Galaxy is more like Super Mario 64 2, because its gameplay is more similar (Mario control wise).
I liked Super Mario Sunshine, it's just a lot of people don't.

Yes there is alot of voice acting in Mario galaxy. (Marios voice was a bit weird imo)
Well that'll kill my hype until I can find a Wii. :p

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
the voice acting in mario galaxy is great, the characters dont actually TALK, it's done very well.

anyways, yes, bowser jr was the main villain in new mario bros, he's the one that kidnapped peach, he's the main and final boss (with bowser in the very end only), he's basically running the show for that whole game

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yeah, but you'd think Bowser himself is behind the whole thing. Bowser Jr. was just carrying out orders.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
the game doesn't tell you anything like that, it's speculation. according to what i see in the story, bowser jr is the main villain. using your logic you could say kamek is a more main villain than bowser is in paper mario 2 lol

D

Deleted member

anyways, yes, bowser jr was the main villain in new mario bros, he's the one that kidnapped peach, he's the main and final boss (with bowser in the very end only), he's basically running the show for that whole game
Because Bowser died in a pit of lava and turned into bones near the beginning.

That shows that if Bowser is gone for good than BJ can take the stand but he still couldn't fight Mario alone. He needed daddy to help him.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
the voice acting in mario galaxy is great, the characters dont actually TALK, it's done very well.

Bowser appeared in the game besides the very end.

Yeah, but you'd think Bowser himself is behind the whole thing. Bowser Jr. was just carrying out orders.
Bowser Jr served as the main antagonist, as he did things on his own will.. Bowser served as a Boss only, and was not really apart of the overall plot like Bowser Jr.. plus it was Bowser Jr who sort of gave Bowser the commands to attack Mario.. He also brought Bowser back to life, for the sole purpose of Fighting Mario... So really Bowser Jr is the one carrying out the orders.

Because Bowser died in a pit of lava and turned into bones near the beginning.

That shows that if Bowser is gone for good than BJ can take the stand but he still couldn't fight Mario alone. He needed daddy to help him.
I guess you forgot when Bowser Jr fought mario alone, multiple times. replay the game.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
That I didn't know about.

Please tell me how Bowser Jr. fought alone?
He played as a mini-boss in each world, and summoned a larger enemy for the Final Boss in each world. He fights with Bowser on the last boss fight, but he really doesn't help too much.

D

Deleted member

He played as a mini-boss in each world, and summoned a larger enemy for the Final Boss in each world. He fights with Bowser on the last boss fight, but he really doesn't help too much.

So, his only role in the game was a substitute and a mini boss. Than at the end he brought Bowser back to life and they fight like father and son.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

So, his only role in the game was a substitute and a mini boss. Than at the end he brought Bowser back to life and they fight like father and son.
More along the lines of fighting like father and a minor distraction in the background, but yes.

D

Deleted member

If he is the main antagonist in New SMB, than why did he bring the REAL main antagonist back to life?

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion

You are forgetting he also.. Kidnapped peach. Getting peach back was the plot of the game. So basically the plot was around Mario, Peach, and Bowser Jr

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
anyone who thinks bowser had a more important role than bowser jr in new mario bros is out of their mind. the discussion should be geared around bowser jr vs geno apparently in this thread though

based on game history it's really no contest, bowser jr deserves the spot through and through, however, theres just to many factors for us to easily place one character over another.

sakurai doesn't like being predictable, he likes obscure characters, geno has been noted as being very popular...

theres lots of pluses for geno, i personally would RATHER see bowser jr though still ;P

D

Deleted member

You are forgetting he also.. Kidnapped peach. Getting peach back was the plot of the game. So basically the plot was around Mario, Peach, and Bowser Jr
Because he did it for his dear old dad and whatever the hell he does to her. He was just substituting due to Bowser's death.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Because he did it for his dear old dad and whatever the hell he does to her. He was just substituting due to Bowser's death.
But he still did it :ohwell:

We could go on to see who had a bigger role, but it's obvious that Bowser Jr. is way more prominent during the game. After all, he was made for an enemy to fight before Bowser.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Did you like not even play this game? Ever Since Mario Sunshine Bowser Jr has somewhat considered Peach as his mom, So HE kidnaps her for his own reasons, not because Bowser told him to.

And also Bowser was Killed within this game, and was later a skeletor and was then brought back to life fully by Bowser Jr.

BJ was not substituting for anyone.

D

Deleted member

Did you like not even play this game? Ever Since Mario Sunshine Bowser Jr has somewhat considered Peach as his mom, So HE kidnaps her for his own reasons, not because Bowser told him to.

We don't know that. All we can do is make inferences and assumptions. Maybe Bowser told him to get mommy. Maybe BJ was pushed to get mommy. We do not know if BJ was either doing it for his own intentions or f he was ordered to.

And also Bowser was Killed within this game, and was later a skeletor and was then brought back to life fully by Bowser Jr.

Yes he was killed and BJ substituted and brought Bowser back to life 'cause BJ can't defeat Mario without his fasha.

BJ was not substituting for anyone.
For Bowser. It's debatable.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
here's an interesting point.

how much would new super mario bros be impacted by the loss of bowser vs the loss of bowser jr IN THIS GAME (not including random back story or anything like that)?

we lose bowser and we lose the difficulty on a couple levels.

we lose bowser jr we lose the entire story (peach doesn't get kidnapped), and basically every boss battle because they are there as a result of what bowser jr is doing, as well as the bosses at the end of pretty much every castle

it's seriously ridiculous to say that bowser is more important in that game

ALSO

if bowser jr died, i'm pretty sure bowser would resurrect him as well, thats a really dumb argument.

bowser jr cant defeat mario alone? well BOWSER cant defeat mario alone either. that argument is also nonsense

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
For Bowser. It's debatable.
-Sigh-

In Mario Sunshine, Bowser Jr "says" he wants his family together.. which is the reason why he kidnaps Peach, and gets mario put in jail so that he can not interfere with their Family vacation.

Technically Bowser nor Bowser Jr can defeat mario regardless, and Bowser Jr would not have fought mario by himself.. if he knew he could not defeat him. Bowser and Jr both share a dislike for Mario.. So why wouldn't they fight him together given the opportunity?

When Bowser has a plan such as wanting to create his own Galaxy (seen in Mario Galaxy) he plays the main antagonist he kidnaps peach, and does whatever is necessary for his goal , When Bowser Jr has a plan such as trying to make a family for himself (seen in Mario sunshine) he plays the main antagonist, kidnaps Peach, and does whatever is necessary for his goal.

D

Deleted member

here's an interesting point.

how much would new super mario bros be impacted by the loss of bowser vs the loss of bowser jr IN THIS GAME (not including random back story or anything like that)?

we lose bowser and we lose the difficulty on a couple levels.

we lose bowser jr we lose the entire story (peach doesn't get kidnapped), and basically every boss battle because they are there as a result of what bowser jr is doing, as well as the bosses at the end of pretty much every castle

it's seriously ridiculous to say that bowser is more important in that game

Now, I never said that BJ wasn't more important. I'm just saying that he isn't the main antagonist.

ALSO

if bowser jr died, i'm pretty sure bowser would resurrect him as well, thats a really dumb argument.

He ressurected the main antagonist to defeat Mario once and for all. But they failed... again.

bowser jr cant defeat mario alone? well BOWSER cant defeat mario alone either. that argument is also nonsense
Bowser Jr. couldn't do it alone so he brought back Bowser. Although Bowser COULD do it on his own, he has a better chance of actually defeating Mario on his own without the help of Bowser Jr.

Santini

Smash Journeyman
I don't think this is necessarily the choice. I really doubt that Sakurai would arbitrarily choose 2 characters (BJ and Geno) and just say "I must pick between these two for this roster spot!"

But anyway, if I had to choose, I'd pick Bowser Jr. although it's a very tough choice.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
saying he isn't the main antagonist and bowser IS would be saying that bowser is more important in the game, you're just wrong on this and i cant believe you still cling to that.

let's move the discussion elsewhere. like to bowser jr vs geno, rather than bowser vs bowser jr in new mario bros

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
Bowser Jr. couldn't do it alone so he brought back Bowser. Although Bowser COULD do it on his own, he has a better chance of actually defeating Mario on his own without the help of Bowser Jr.
This further proves that you probably did not play the game, if bowser Jr was not there during the final fight, and you atleast had a big form of Mario.. Bowser would have been very simple.

D

Deleted member

The Main Antagonist doesn't have to be the most important though, gimpy. If you look at Twilight Princess, Ganon was the Main Antagonist but Zant seemed very important to the game.

More?
Less?

Zant just acted as a pawn for his 'God' like how Bowser Jr. was acting as a pawn for his dear ol' dad.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Well I feel that Geno shouldn't take a Mario rep spot if he is a 3rd party character and was only in two games(one being a minor role). Geno is owned by Square Enix correct? He would have his own icon like Snake and Sonic. Anyone disagree with Geno having his own icon and not having a mushroom as his icon?

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
The Main Antagonist doesn't have to be the most important though, gimpy. If you look at Twilight Princess, Ganon was the Main Antagonist but Zant seemed very important to the game.

More?
Less?

Zant just acted as a pawn for his 'God' like how Bowser Jr. was acting as a pawn for his dear ol' dad.
Horrible Comparison.. Unlike Bowser Jr. who has his own free will, Zant was completely under the influence of Ganon. Also Zant was completely disposable to Ganon after he was
freed

and unlike Zant, Bowser Jr was the one who was in charge and made all of the decisions. Using Bowser as only a Boss.

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
They should both be in. I would love it if Geno was in, but it would also be awesome if Bowser Jr was in. In MarioKart Double Dash I was always Bowser Jr. He is a cool character. I mean who actually knows what Sakurai's limits are in Brawl?

Each character can have very unique moves: Geno with his finger shot, hand cannon, Geno Beam, etc.
Bowser Jr. with his Ink Brush that can probably be used kind of like a staff, create or even shoot sludge, the ability to transform into Shadow Mario, etc.

D

Deleted member

This further proves that you probably did not play the game, if bowser Jr was not there during the final fight, and you atleast had a big form of Mario.. Bowser would have been very simple.

Since when are side scrolling game bosses simple? =P

From what I have seen in video's, all BJ did was role around as Bowser shot blue fire from his mouth. Of course it's simple. Bowser Jr. looked really easy to dodge. All you do is just jump over him (unless he can do something else which I haven't seen anything yet).

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Well I feel that Geno shouldn't take a Mario rep spot if he is a 3rd party character and was only in two games(one being a minor role). Geno is owned by Square Enix correct? He would have his own icon like Snake and Sonic. Anyone disagree with Geno having his own icon and not having a mushroom as his icon?
No, he'd fit right into Mario's category.
Geno doesn't represent Geno's series, he's a part of the Mario series.

As Sakurai said in that email response, even if Geno's third party, he considers him first party.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion

Since when are side scrolling game bosses simple? =P

From what I have seen in video's, all BJ did was role around as Bowser shot blue fire from his mouth. Of course it's simple. Bowser Jr. looked really easy to dodge. All you do is just jump over him (unless he can do something else which I haven't seen anything yet).
If you had a big Mario, you could walkthrough bowser and become small then make fall in the pit, or in the previous Bowser fights you could walk under him, or jump over him.

iMichael

Smash Lord
They should both be in. I would love it if Geno was in, but it would also be awesome if Bowser Jr was in. In MarioKart Double Dash I was always Bowser Jr. He is a cool character. I mean who actually knows what Sakurai's limits are in Brawl?

Each character can have very unique moves: Geno with his finger shot, hand cannon, Geno Beam, etc.
Bowser Jr. with his Ink Brush that can probably be used kind of like a staff, create or even shoot sludge, the ability to transform into Shadow Mario, etc.
Yes...we would all like them both to be in, but were talking about the last spot. I'm starting to think Bowser Jr. is already in. He has his Ink Brush which is used like a staff, and Krystal is in(AT or PC) and she too uses a staff. I'm starting to think that they are going to have like the same physics with their staffs. This is sort of like Falcon's uptilt and Samus's uptilt, Mario tornado along with Luigi and Doc tornado.....it's just a thought that I'm having....this could make no sense to you guys lol

D

Deleted member

If you had a big Mario, you could walkthrough bowser and become small then make fall in the pit, or in the previous Bowser fights you could walk under him, or jump over him.
Yeah, just jump over BJ and walk under Bowser. It ain't hard. It almost, to me, makes it seems like BJ ain't doing nothing at all.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Yes...we would all like them both to be in, but were talking about the last spot. I'm starting to think Bowser Jr. is already in. He has his Ink Brush which is used like a staff, and Krystal is in(AT or PC) and she too uses a staff. I'm starting to think that they are going to have like the same physics with their staffs. This is sort of like Falcon's uptilt and Samus's uptilt, Mario tornado along with Luigi and Doc tornado.....it's just a thought that I'm having....this could make no sense to you guys lol
Envy, there is no "last spot" for Mario's franchise.

Mario's franchise in SSBM had 5 reps; Yoshi represented his own. Yoshi and Wario both represent their own respective series' in SSBB, giving Mario it's normal reps from SSBM. Now, Mario from SSBB has been given properties of Dr. Mario (DI on hits, and the likes) so it's safe to assume he's gone. With him gone, that's a spot open for another rep. Usually major franchises from the previous installment get an extra representative.

There could very well be two spots open, and Geno and Bowser Jr. could fill them.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
lol... seriously... "last spot"?

Do you honestly think that Mario will get the same amount of playable characters in this game as it did in Melee? (because Dr. Mario coming back seems very unlikely.)

I personally hope two more characters make it: Geno and Paper Mario.

Top Bottom