• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
sigh.

sometimes I can't tell if someone is really a troll or if they sincerely believe in the selfish and mean bullcrap they're saying.

I guess, if they're a troll, they believe in being rude and dumb jerks anyway.

I've dealt with them before, I should know how to deal with them by now and just block them and not even argue with them in the first place, I guess...it's hard to win an argument against a genius, but it's impossible to win an argument against a mean and stubborn as heck dumb dude.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
oh my ****ING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD~!

SMRPG'S 25TH ANNIVERSARY IS THIS MARCH! THE MARIO 35TH ANNIVERSARY ENDS IN MARCH! GENO IS A GODDAMN MARIO CHARACTER!

WE. ARE. STILL. IN. THIS. LAAAAAAAAAADS~!
Don’t set them up too high my guy, these kinds of occurrences never concide with Smash considering the development time it goes into fighters.

The most we can pray for is a SMPRG remake or rerelease.

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
I dunno. I just have fun with this either way because the Geno fanbase is great.

"But you might be wrong... ON INTERNET!"

What else is new? :troll: You can't kill what's already dead inside!
if we talk about how geno still has a chance despite being a mii costume itll make the people who decided to make their entire personality hating geno for some reason really mad. we need to keep doing it

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
As usual, my Twitter timeline is hopping in the anti-Geno celebration and memes so don’t bother going there.:glare:
Funny how Smash Twitter were going on about "coming together in unity for a game we all love" against debacle with Nintendo just a few ago and then started this. Bunch of Frauds honesty.

Also, Didn't expect to see ya on SmashBoards.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Yeah ok, I'm down.

This'll really make 'em mad.
I dunno. I just have fun with this either way because the Geno fanbase is great.

"But you might be wrong... ON INTERNET!"

What else is new? :troll: You can't kill what's already dead inside!
The ship's already in the water, might as well stay on board.

How is it the familiar QQS QQS saying goes... ah, yes.

Geno Awakens! I think I got that right..

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
sigh.

sometimes I can't tell if someone is really a troll or if they sincerely believe in the selfish and mean bullcrap they're saying.

I guess, if they're a troll, they believe in being rude and dumb jerks anyway.

I've dealt with them before, I should know how to deal with them by now and just block them and not even argue with them in the first place, I guess...it's hard to win an argument against a genius, but it's impossible to win an argument against a mean and stubborn as heck dumb dude.
You just described the two types of ***** in the world. Honestly, there are people who like to anger others for fun and others who just don't like other people and want to take a **** on those they don't like as I know because I have been discriminated before because of my Autism/Aspergers. We live in a cruel world.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Alright, so I talked to some of my people and they were just as shocked about how yesterday turned out. Talking with them, I think I know how communication got fried. When I talk about this stuff, I'm now going to use the "baby gate strategy" so that people don't just come in, immediately read my posts and seethe:

In mid November, I was told that there would very likely be a Smash reveal in the first half of December but it wouldn't be attached to the VGAs. Going off what Geoff said in a Zoom call in early October, I presumed this to be accurate. Several people described it as "Smash for Christmas." It was heavily implied that it was going to be a surprise in a similar fashion to how they handled Steve in October and that the character would be released by Christmas Eve at the latest.

As I pointed out in those weeks, a lot of things pointed to a Smash reveal by the 18th: the Firmware update, the Online maintenance updates matching Steve's, the spirits unceremoniously being added back in, the Challenge Cup, etc. Based on how things were shaping up, it felt like an actual Direct was on the horizon so I held onto that. Several people start tossing around the idea of a "double reveal" around the Sunday/Monday before the VGAs and I coincidentally start seeing people reference this out in the open starting that Tuesday night. Enough people casually mentioned this to make me suspect that they heard it too so suddenly this becomes an even bigger deal. All signs are heavily pointing to the next character being a Square Enix character so of course I'm on edge...

Day before the Game Awards and it looked like a third week presentation was a slam dunk but then a Smash reveal was announced the morning of. "Okay..." Based on what I was told, the "Christmas Gift" was likely to be a fan favorite and that sounded like our E3 2020 "Banjo". W-would they really do Geno as a VGA reveal? Convince myself yes against better judgement. Fast forward to that night... It's Sephiroth. That's not one of the names people heard. "Maybe they're planning on tucking in a Christmas surprise in or after Sephiroth's presentation?" **** it... Go for broke... See how things unfold...

Yesterday happens and it's pretty obvious that, unless they do something like a surprise Christmas Eve Direct, Sephiroth is the last reveal of the year. Whoever 9 is will probably be revealed in January/February. "Oh boy, glad this happened...", I'm once again literally Hitler and here we are today. Here's what I think happened:

-Sephiroth and Steve were supposed to be our E3 reveals. Lots about both of their trailers suggest this. Coincidentally another Square/Microsoft combo (which I predicted back in July but had the characters wrong, damn it all...)

-Sephiroth was probably meant to be 77 (huehuehue) Get it? GET IT?!?

-COVID ****s everything in the ass.

-Square openly admits in early November that development of games practically froze over the summer so theoretically Sephiroth is significantly delayed.

-This also explains why September's Mii rereleases had both Clouds, Joker, and Hero.

-According to Sakurai, Steve released "on time." Amiibo wave would have had Banjo if not for COVID. Makes sense.

-Sephiroth is made a VGA reveal sometime in November. Like Joker, kept a secret from virtually everyone. Universe makes me look like an asshole again.

-Sephiroth takes over what would have been 9's spot but instead of a surprise it was at the VGAs. People assume the December release is still 9 because they haven't heard otherwise.

-So, based on how things have gone down, a non-Covid world would have been:

June: Min Min
September: Sephiroth
October: Steve
December: 9

Like I said, based on everything I was told, the above is my theory on what happened. How I'm not an alcoholic from doing this for 2 years is beyond me...

Remember, if you went past the baby gate and got mad, you have no one to blame but yourself.
HOLY *ING *! BLOW MY BRAINS OUT AND FILL THEM WITH BLUE RASPBERRY KOOLAID, I'VE HAD A ****ING EPIPHANY!

The Mario 35th anniversary doesn't end until March because it got delayed! It's ALSO clear that all the delays and cancellations pushed our E3 reveals way down the line.

WHAT IF GENO IS STILL COMING, BUT HIS COSTUME WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO COME WITH ANOTHER CHARACTER?! WHAT IF THE MALLOW AND SMITHY COSTUMES ARE STILL COMING WITH HIM, BUT HE EITHER COMES WITH MORE NEW COSTUMES OR OTHER RETURNING ONES?!

We ALL thought his costume would come back with him as playable, but we also know how hard it is to negotiate rights for things when it comes to Square, so maybe the Chocobo Hat and Geno's costume were always meant to fill in that space for Sephiroth?! MAYBE HE'S GETTING SO MUCH CONTENT THAT THEY CHOOSE TO HAVE GENO'S COSTUME COME WITH SOMEONE ELSE! HE COULD MAYBE STILL SHOW UP AS CP9 BY THIS LOGIC!.

IT'S SO CRAZY IT JUST MIGHT WORK!
This is incredible. If that actually pans out, then my god

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Alright, so I talked to some of my people and they were just as shocked about how yesterday turned out. Talking with them, I think I know how communication got fried. When I talk about this stuff, I'm now going to use the "baby gate strategy" so that people don't just come in, immediately read my posts and seethe:

In mid November, I was told that there would very likely be a Smash reveal in the first half of December but it wouldn't be attached to the VGAs. Going off what Geoff said in a Zoom call in early October, I presumed this to be accurate. Several people described it as "Smash for Christmas." It was heavily implied that it was going to be a surprise in a similar fashion to how they handled Steve in October and that the character would be released by Christmas Eve at the latest.

As I pointed out in those weeks, a lot of things pointed to a Smash reveal by the 18th: the Firmware update, the Online maintenance updates matching Steve's, the spirits unceremoniously being added back in, the Challenge Cup, etc. Based on how things were shaping up, it felt like an actual Direct was on the horizon so I held onto that. Several people start tossing around the idea of a "double reveal" around the Sunday/Monday before the VGAs and I coincidentally start seeing people reference this out in the open starting that Tuesday night. Enough people casually mentioned this to make me suspect that they heard it too so suddenly this becomes an even bigger deal. All signs are heavily pointing to the next character being a Square Enix character so of course I'm on edge...

Day before the Game Awards and it looked like a third week presentation was a slam dunk but then a Smash reveal was announced the morning of. "Okay..." Based on what I was told, the "Christmas Gift" was likely to be a fan favorite and that sounded like our E3 2020 "Banjo". W-would they really do Geno as a VGA reveal? Convince myself yes against better judgement. Fast forward to that night... It's Sephiroth. That's not one of the names people heard. "Maybe they're planning on tucking in a Christmas surprise in or after Sephiroth's presentation?" **** it... Go for broke... See how things unfold...

Yesterday happens and it's pretty obvious that, unless they do something like a surprise Christmas Eve Direct, Sephiroth is the last reveal of the year. Whoever 9 is will probably be revealed in January/February. "Oh boy, glad this happened...", I'm once again literally Hitler and here we are today. Here's what I think happened:

-Sephiroth and Steve were supposed to be our E3 reveals. Lots about both of their trailers suggest this. Coincidentally another Square/Microsoft combo (which I predicted back in July but had the characters wrong, damn it all...)

-Sephiroth was probably meant to be 77 (huehuehue) Get it? GET IT?!?

-COVID ****s everything in the ass.

-Square openly admits in early November that development of games practically froze over the summer so theoretically Sephiroth is significantly delayed.

-This also explains why September's Mii rereleases had both Clouds, Joker, and Hero.

-According to Sakurai, Steve released "on time." Amiibo wave would have had Banjo if not for COVID. Makes sense.

-Sephiroth is made a VGA reveal sometime in November. Like Joker, kept a secret from virtually everyone. Universe makes me look like an asshole again.

-Sephiroth takes over what would have been 9's spot but instead of a surprise it was at the VGAs. People assume the December release is still 9 because they haven't heard otherwise.

-So, based on how things have gone down, a non-Covid world would have been:

June: Min Min
September: Sephiroth
October: Steve
December: 9

Like I said, based on everything I was told, the above is my theory on what happened. How I'm not an alcoholic from doing this for 2 years is beyond me...

Remember, if you went past the baby gate and got mad, you have no one to blame but yourself.
How would people get mad at this? I guess I’m too casual to understand why someone would be angry at this

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One thing I want to emphasize going forward is to have fun. This game is awesome. I've grown to love every addition for one reason or another and if Geno's ultimately out by 2022, Smash Ultimate is still likely to be my favorite game of all time. Don't worry if Geno actually happens or not. It's just a game. Have fun here. Have fun with the game. Continue creating stuff and being a community. We've got a year to go, let's make the best of it! Here's to a non-dog**** 2021!

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
One thing I want to emphasize going forward is to have fun. This game is awesome. I've grown to love every addition for one reason or another and if Geno's ultimately out by 2022, Smash Ultimate is still likely to be my favorite game of all time. Don't worry if Geno actually happens or not. It's just a game. Have fun here. Have fun with the game. Continue creating stuff and being a community. We've got a year to go, let's make the best of it! Here's to a non-dog**** 2021!
People take this game way too seriously sometimes, mostly people getting upset at others for thinking Geno still has a chance despite getting a Mii.
Very happy to have people like you around who always look at stuff from a different point-a-view.

Firox

Smash Master
You just described the two types of ***** in the world. Honestly, there are people who like to anger others for fun and others who just don't like other people and want to take a **** on those they don't like as I know because I have been discriminated before because of my Autism/Aspergers. We live in a cruel world.
Sad Truth: Humans are selfish, narcissistic, bigoted* assholes by nature. It really says something when you considers studies that have been done about what influences human "happiness".

For example: -If you have someone who makes $200,000/yr living in a neighborhood of millionaires, they are typically less happy than someone who makes $70,000/yr living in a neighborhood of people who make sub $40,000. Interestingly, humans don't find happiness in success unless they're MORE successful than those around them. We are sadistic creatures that subconsciously take pride and solace in watching the suffering and misfortune of others. The German's even invented the term "Schadenfreude" to describe the joy people get from the pain of others. It's pretty jacked up and there are always pleasant exceptions, but for the most part, humans are inherently evil and it's a personal struggle for all of us to fight the urge to kick others when they're down.

(*Definition of bigoted: obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, in particular prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.)

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
How would people get mad at this? I guess I’m too casual to understand why someone would be angry at this
This thread merely existing is enough to send people into anger fits.

We have Gamefaqs and Twitter already keeping tabs on this thread, despite how much they just hate seeing Geno's name. But nope, they totally don't care and are totally not obsessed with a character from a 90s game. Its the Geno's fans who are the cult. Totally.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
HOLY *ING *! BLOW MY BRAINS OUT AND FILL THEM WITH BLUE RASPBERRY KOOLAID, I'VE HAD A ****ING EPIPHANY!

The Mario 35th anniversary doesn't end until March because it got delayed! It's ALSO clear that all the delays and cancellations pushed our E3 reveals way down the line.

WHAT IF GENO IS STILL COMING, BUT HIS COSTUME WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO COME WITH ANOTHER CHARACTER?! WHAT IF THE MALLOW AND SMITHY COSTUMES ARE STILL COMING WITH HIM, BUT HE EITHER COMES WITH MORE NEW COSTUMES OR OTHER RETURNING ONES?!

We ALL thought his costume would come back with him as playable, but we also know how hard it is to negotiate rights for things when it comes to Square, so maybe the Chocobo Hat and Geno's costume were always meant to fill in that space for Sephiroth?! MAYBE HE'S GETTING SO MUCH CONTENT THAT THEY CHOOSE TO HAVE GENO'S COSTUME COME WITH SOMEONE ELSE! HE COULD MAYBE STILL SHOW UP AS CP9 BY THIS LOGIC!.

IT'S SO CRAZY IT JUST MIGHT WORK!
Do you even hear yourself?

This is a new degree of denial. Geno got costumed, that's the end of it.

This makes NO sense. If Geno were coming they wouldn't have turned him into a costume again, especially this late into the DLC cycle. If we're really walking back the whole "post-launch DLC costumes are a deconfirm" thing, then Heihachi and Travis are back on the table and could just as easily be challenger 9

I don't even care if I'm called a doomer or "high and mighty" at this point, SOMEONE has to drag you back to reality.

Geno's done. We lost. We fought a good fight but it just wasn't in the cards. Do yourself a favor and move on.

D

Deleted member

This makes NO sense. If Geno were coming they wouldn't have turned him into a costume again, especially this late into the DLC cycle. If we're really walking back the whole "post-launch DLC costumes are a deconfirm" thing, then Heihachi and Travis are back on the table and could just as easily be challenger 9

I don't even care if I'm called a doomer or "high and mighty" at this point, SOMEONE has to drag you back to reality.

Geno's done. We lost. We fought a good fight but it just wasn't in the cards. Do yourself a favor and move on.
1574077467984.gif

bottom text

edit: and sure, Heihachi's back on the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

NO WAY! SHUT UP YA DOOMER!

I BELIEVE IN THE HEART OF THE PUPPET!

IT AIN'T OVER UNTIL THE DLC IS FINISHED!

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Funny how Smash Twitter were going on about "coming together in unity for a game we all love" against debacle with Nintendo just a few ago and then started this. Bunch of Frauds honesty.

Also, Didn't expect to see ya on SmashBoards.
Yep, I couldn’t help but dread this thread’s sadness when the costume back so I arrived to bring my condolences.

So, to bring some light for once. What match-ups are you guys looking forward to when the outfit drops?

Last edited:

HanSoloIndie

Smash Cadet
Personally, I wasn't too surprised with the result of Sephiroth's presentation. However, I am with the camp that believes Geno is still possible, either as FP9 with the Mario 35th anniversary or as a bonus. I do not believe in a third fighter's pass.

Regardless, I want to say I am glad I made some people laugh here in the Geno thread with the posts I made yesterday. Until Geno eventually becomes a fighter, expect me to periodically post drawings and other fun things. You guys are doing a great job with dealing with and outside negativity, keep it up!
P.S. Thank you QQS for your never-ending attitude of positivity and helping me out in my early days here!
Meme5Forum.jpg

Meme6Forum.jpg

Meme7Forum.jpg

Take these as a token of appreciation!

Last edited:

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Why can't we have more people with the mindset of Mii costumes don't deconfirm. I mean I understand all points about them deconfirming people, but there are always counterpoints ya know?

I understand people think because we pay 75 cents for a mii costume, they are deconfirmed as fighters, My counter-point is that's a fan-rule

I understand that people are upset that the Geno costume is in the game instead of him being an actual fighter, my counter is Nintendo wanted to reuse most of the DLC costumes from Smash 4, as DLC for ultimate...

I understand a lot of the points, but each one can be easily countered. That's why even though getting Mii costumed hurts, It does not affect me as much as others, since I'm in the boat that Mii costumes do not deconfirm, only lower chances.

except if you are a deluxe, then your never getting in this game. So I'm actually happy Geno ain't a deluxe, or he would be a hard deconfirm.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord

It ain't over til it's over... I mean, obviously there is a .0000000000000000001% chance of him being playable at this point, but it's still a chance. It could be the first fake-out of its kind, but it's obvious that they don't care about Geno like we do. It's sort of odd Sakurai didn't verbally acknowledge him; I think he knew he had a bomb in his hands.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

He's being a bit facetious m8

Dan

Smash Lord
except if you are a deluxe, then your never getting in this game. So I'm actually happy Geno ain't a deluxe, or he would be a hard deconfirm.
I think it's worse, that him not being a Deluxe lowers his chance for future Smash games more than ever. I think they are gonna try adding flashy, new and third party characters in future installments, only going back to the well for the "retro rep" which will never be Geno.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

As far as I can tell, they're not being serious; they're acting how the trolls seemingly expect this thread to act, given their comment about outsiders on the previous page. (though it's hard to be sure, given that it's tough to determine tone purely through text) Still, it's probably best to tone it down, ForsakenM ForsakenM .

D

Deleted member

Why can't we have more people with the mindset of Mii costumes don't deconfirm. I mean I understand all points about them deconfirming people, but there are always counterpoints ya know?

I understand people think because we pay 75 cents for a mii costume, they are deconfirmed as fighters, My counter-point is that's a fan-rule

I understand that people are upset that the Geno costume is in the game instead of him being an actual fighter, my counter is Nintendo wanted to reuse most of the DLC costumes from Smash 4, as DLC for ultimate...

I understand a lot of the points, but each one can be easily countered. That's why even though getting Mii costumed hurts, It does not affect me as much as others, since I'm in the boat that Mii costumes do not deconfirm, only lower chances.

How could Nintendo have expected us to pay 75 cents (3/4 of exactly one big one) for K. Rool's costume just to bring him out as a playable fighter in a game that we had to spend an additional 60 dollars for...

I'm going to say it.

I have to admit it.

I hope you're ready:

Yes this does mean that by accepting a future in which Geno could still be a fighter it's an implicit acknowledgement that Mii Costumes are not the killer they've been talked up to be... And I don't see a problem with accepting that.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

Because Mii costumes are half measures. the point is to make as many characters playable as possible and Mii costumes allow people to have their character, even if not original. It is not a bad idea in theory. But given we have had Goemon, Travis, Altar, CupHead, Sans, Vault Boy, Gil, Heihachi and probably others also that are mii costumes at this point, assuming Mii costumes does not de-confirm means that all of them are still viable options.

I see Mii Costumes as a half measure. For whatever reason, the character in question could not be a full fighter. Have a costume instead. Pretty sure Geno has fallen into that bucket. Remember, Nintendo had a list of characters for Sakurai to choose from am Nintendo also choose Steve, from behind a lowered pair of glasses. I can easily see them considering Geno a non-priority. Only being a Mii costume.

D

Deleted member

He's being a bit facetious m8
As far as I can tell, they're not being serious; they're acting how the trolls seemingly expect this thread to act, given their comment about outsiders on the previous page. (though it's hard to be sure, given that it's tough to determine tone purely through text) Still, it's probably best to tone it down, ForsakenM ForsakenM .
We finally reached the zen-like state of people not being able to tell if our posts are serious or not.

1538991780501.png

Dan

Smash Lord
I have some confusion about yesterday: was the disappointment and attack from the internet a response to him not being a Deluxe or not being a full character? Probably both? It's amazing that we were just a face away from shutting people the **** up.

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Guys, I don't blame Sakurai for this. It's something the higher ups ultimately did most likely at the end of the day.
How could Nintendo have expected us to pay 75 cents (3/4 of exactly one big one) for K. Rool's costume just to bring him out as a playable fighter in a game that we had to spend an additional 60 dollars for...

I'm going to say it.

I have to admit it.

I hope you're ready:

Yes this does mean that by accepting a future in which Geno could still be a fighter it's an implicit acknowledgement that Mii Costumes are not the killer they've been talked up to be... And I don't see a problem with accepting that.
Oh, I've been ready for dissapointment since I first started rooting for Geno to join, defentally not as long as some of yall in this thread, but I have wanted Geno for a while...Disappointment is not new to me, but it gets worse each time.

Because Mii costumes are half measures. the point is to make as many characters playable as possible and Mii costumes allow people to have their character, even if not original. It is not a bad idea in theory. But given we have had Goemon, Travis, Altar, CupHead, Sans, Vault Boy, Gil, Heihachi and probably others also that are mii costumes at this point, assuming Mii costumes does not de-confirm means that all of them are still viable options.

I see Mii Costumes as a half measure. For whatever reason, the character in question could not be a full fighter. Have a costume instead. Pretty sure Geno has fallen into that bucket. Remember, Nintendo had a list of characters for Sakurai to choose from am Nintendo also choose Steve, from behind a lowered pair of glasses. I can easily see them considering Geno a non-priority. Only being a Mii costume.
Your points are completely valid, and I respect every single point you made. But look at it this way, there's no official way of deconfirming someone unless it comes from a companies. Geno May never have a chance again, does not mean that there is still a logical explanation on how he could get in though. Mii fighters and I do have a love/hate relationship, I hate the 90% likely deconfimrs, but I love the details on the costumes. even if I do not 100% agree with what you said, I 85% agree though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Has this been posted here yet?

The one on the bottom-left looks like someone's Sonic OC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom