• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
I agree with pretty much all of this. Sakurai did explain the Wing, but it feels a lot less stable for an install than, say, Terry's Go mode or even stuff you can't control the activation of like Joker's meter. Like, at the game's discretion, you are now "getting your ass beat" so it's time to hulk out...? Also for the time being it doesn't even seem to work as advertised, as I was getting kills and that weird ass chicken wing just stayed on me. When does the game figure I'm not "in a pinch" anymore?

I mentioned it already but I feel like Sephiroth's popularity as a character is going to produce some really dedicated mains of him and make him at least somewhat relevant, but Smash Bros is a fair deal different from the average fighting game in which it'd be acceptable to have dismal frame data in exchange for unparalleled range and weaker hits. I can't think of a single character on the roster that can't steamroll Sephiroth thanks to the impressive startup on all of his moves, nair included. He has very few get out of jail options... His best bet is to just try to leave the stage and come back to reset neutral in whatever way he can manage. I think what bugs me the most is that his out of shield options basically don't exist.

I also noticed that he can't really press his advantage very far. His moves are all too slow to have any combos or kill confirms, I described him to some friends as "sword Mega Man" because it really just feels like you have to hang back and get pokes in and then just hope and pray you can connect one of your kill moves when the time comes.

He's extremely multiplayer focused, which I guess is at least true to his character since for a lot of his home game, he had to square up with three dudes at a time. I'd personally rather see all of his bad frames get loaded towards the end of his attacks and to have a few big hitboxes that come out really fast. At least in that situation he'd be able to contend with the faster hitboxes of... I dunno, the whole ****ing cast, and missing becomes virtually a death sentence.

Also his grab is complete and total rubbish. I'm really hoping there's a little more spit and polish to be put on him when he actually launches and this is just some kind of "almost ready" build they figured we'd enjoy.
Agreed. Funny thing is, for the first time ever, I think he's a DLC character that actually needs some BUFFS just to be competitive. I suppose it's better than Sm4sh Bayo, but frick, I don't ever remember picking up a DLC character before and thinking to myself "Yeah, this is so not OP." He's fun and hype, don't get me wrong, but I just can't get past the absurdly terrible frame data.

D

Deleted member

what it feels like being in this thread sometimes:
1608307598950.png

I mean seriously imagine waking up, hopping on your PC with a cup of coffee and some nutritious breakfast, opening smashboards dot com, and deciding that the Geno thread is not far enough down on the page so you come in and bump it by telling the people in it to please give up because you're embarrassed for them.

Fatman's a grown ass man who pays the bills and takes care of his family, what he does or believes about a character getting into Smash is his business. There are actual bad guys in the world that are actually manipulating people in regards to things that have real world consequences, go rally behind outing them.

Go to the mall and tell the dude dressed as Santa that Santa is a fabrication.

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Right? People literally come into this thread, read my posts, get mad at me, a Geno fan of 24 years, and then get indignant that they aren't the Chosen One™ to change my opinions on things.

"Okay, you guys don't like me. I will predominantly stay in this thread to reduce conflict."

(The conflict was, in fact, not reduced but rather concentrated.)

God, can you imagine if I was actually super serious about this and had a YouTube channel , Discord channel, or Twitter account? Holy hell...
But I'll be honest Fatman, your channel would be WAY more entertaining to watch than most SmashTubers if you ever really got into it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"You're trying to convince the thread of your opinion!"

You mean this thread that might have a 100 users on a good non-presentation day and how maybe like 5 people of these people actually agree with me while almost everyone else respectfully disagrees?

(Ring) (Ring)

"Yes, hello? Department of Homeland Security? I would like to report a domestic terrorist. Yes sir... Speculating in a children's game forum...Yes sir... You want his exact coordinates so you can call in an air strike? Yes sir, I carry it in my wallet so I can spike my blood pressure if it gets too low, hold on..."

But I'll be honest Fatman, your channel would be WAY more entertaining to watch than most SmashTubers if you ever really got into it.
People have unironically threatened to kill me over this stuff. I'd prefer not have a V-Tuber status so that I come home one day to find my cats decapitated because I said I didn't think Reimu was likely or some dumb ****...

MattX20

Smash Hero

You mean this thread that might have a 100 users on a good non-presentation day and how maybe like 5 people of these people actually agree with me while almost everyone else respectfully disagrees?

(Ring) (Ring)

"Yes, hello? Department of Homeland Security? I would like to report a domestic terrorist. Yes sir... Speculating in a children's game forum...Yes sir... You want his exact coordinates so you can call in an air strike? Yes sir, I carry it in my wallet so I can spike my blood pressure if it gets too low, hold on..."

People have unironically threatened to kill me over this stuff. I'd prefer not have a V-Tuber status so that I come home one day to find my cats decapitated because I said I didn't think Reimu was likely or some dumb ****...
People take this WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. Those people really are taking it too far over something like speculation

D

Deleted member

People take this WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. Those people really are taking it too far over something like speculation
No, you fool, threatening to physically harm people or animals is absolutely normal and within the bounds of reason. Saying "there's still a chance" after your character gets, according to nearly unanimous fan decision, deconfirmed by an ugly mii costume... THAT, is too far.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

(Ring) (Ring)

Although it absolutely cannot be condoned to threaten people over something as silly as smash, I really wouldn't take it seriously. Although i wouldn't say its done as a joke per se, i imagine its unironic to the extent that its just a bunch of silly kids who say it without actually realising what they are saying. Like the douche's that did so to Sakurai. Over something like Smash, at the very least i think we can all agree that no one is inhumane enough to subconciously threaten to harm someone in whatever way and actualily think its right on a large scale, especially to a member of the community as notable as you. Not that im saying you should start a YT channel mind you, but the great thing about the internet is that you can do whatever the hell you wan, all hid behind a monitor or screen. That's why they do it, because they know full well that they can't do jack in actuality.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What I find strange about the quality-assurance Wahoominati is that they don’t follow their own rules when it comes to mainline games, though maybe their idea is just “you can’t do this much of a stretch in creativity unless it’s something we’ve already done”? Idk.

However, contrary to what the insider said, they at least allowed a Waluigi costume in Odyssey, and despite what people say about them and the RPGs, they seemed to have been okay with unique characters/enemies or variations of existing ones in some games after 2009, like in M&L: Dream Team, the M&L remakes, and others.

They also still acknowledge the old RPGs such as the first three Paper Mario games, having done so on the Japanese Mario 35th Anniversary account (and likely the English one too) and other anniversary stuff like the website, and they have even acknowledged SMRPG by putting it on the Wii U eShop and in the SNES Classic as well as on the anniversary account (albeit not directly, but still as part of a collection of SNES Mario games they showed off in one tweet).

So, if the Wahoominati is really so unbelievably and stupidly strict, why still allow all this? While they have clearly limited some things such as the appearances of generic Toad NPCs, they have still allowed unique characters including unique ones within a species, so are we sure Paper Mario’s situation with Toads and Goombas etc. isn’t due to certain individuals or whoever is in charge of its creative control being unfair?

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Although it absolutely cannot be condoned to threaten people over something as silly as smash, I really wouldn't take it seriously. Although i wouldn't say its done as a joke per se, i imagine its unironic to the extent that its just a bunch of silly kids who say it without actually realising what they are saying. Like the douche's that did so to Sakurai. Over something like Smash, at the very least i think we can all agree that no one is inhumane enough to subconciously threaten to harm someone in whatever way and actualily think its right on a large scale, especially to a member of the community as notable as you. Not that im saying you should start a YT channel mind you, but the great thing about the internet is that you can do whatever the hell you wan, all hid behind a monitor or screen. That's why they do it, because they know full well that they can't do jack in actuality.
Dude's parents got doxxed over this ****, if I recall. It was pretty ugly

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
... My senior parents were literally doxxed over this last year...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'll just say this; I get that it might always be as serious as other cases, but it's been serious for Fatmanonice before.

Thus, I recommend not trying to take the idea as anything but a serious issue that happens.

I do however feel it's better we move on from the offsite vitriol as well as worrying about people being attacked. It makes it harder to have a more fruitful conversation. Like, weren't we just talking about cool remake ideas? Let's continue with that. :)

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Your situation is unfortunate and I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but it's not fair and flat-out irresponsible to pin blame on Reimu fans, no matter how facetious you meant to be.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
ignoring what is being said and responding as if this situation is the same as other situations
Alright so first things first, this 'Enix with Enix, Square with Square' thing is stupid as hell and let me kill it now.

Square and Enix aren't separate companies with separate teams: they are one company after the merger many years ago. There is no 'Enix side', this is just something dumb that people have said to justify why the costumes didn't show up in Wave 2. I once fell for it too until I used my brain.

Anything that you are saying right now doesn't matter because the situation is different and only Sakurai's word on exactly why we are getting a repeat can truly clarify why it has happened. You can speculate all you want, and you COULD be right, but unfortunately you are not Sakurai and therefore you cannot answer my questions. Basically, you can be an expert business man (which I doubt you are by any means) and know exactly X Y and Z reasons why this would happen, but you aren't Masahiro Sakurai or Nintendo or Square who were involved in making deciding factors, so you physically cannot actually answer this question for me.

This is why I am waiting for the Famitsu Column for an answer.

Also, we have been ignored.

In Melee, you can't justify no 3rd party additions as a reason. Just because MANY requests were ignored doesn't change the fact that OUR request was ignored, it simply highlights we were one of many. As the games go by and we become one of the biggest requests who still gains steam and shows the proof of it while other requests either get in or get canned, it becomes a bigger deal when your request still gets ignored.

In Brawl, we definitely got ignored, and we know why that is since Square hadn't gotten off their tantrum high-horse yet to work with anyone at Nintendo outside of a few things, and Smash had been a big deal since Melee.

In Smash 4, we weren't ignored, we just didn't get what we wanted. However, we got a consolation prize and acknowledgement, like I already said.

To then go from a consolation prize and acknowledgement and suggesting that next time around it's likely your character will be playable just based on the language, only to wait this long for the costume to return with essentially no changes to it and not even remark on it in the slightest while we've surged to never-before seen heights of pushing for the character ever since the Smash 4 Ballot and his costume reveal all the way to now?

That is called being ignored. It has the same vibe as Isaac fans when they took forever to reveal his AT and then were somehow shocked that they wanted him playable, except it's worse because all three parties (Sakurai and his team, Nintendo and Square) ALL ALREADY KNOW how much Geno is loved and requested and they STILL decided to ignore all that this time and just give us what we had already gotten before.

This reeks of a parent getting new things for their other children and getting them what THEY want but forcing their one child to wear only the same style despite their complaints and requests that this isn't what they wanted and just waving them away while talking on the phone or watching TV.

Also, I understand it's very much not this way, but it can feel really personal at this point. All the evidence that seemed like it favored him, the fact that Ultimate had been fulfilling fan requests left and right, and how Sakurai acknowledged him and did more DLC to fulfill more fan requests? When all the other really big fan picks get in and even though you were with them almost the whole time you get sidelined? When it seems like everyone else under the sun is getting what they want, including your friends around you, but somehow it;s just never your turn when it really seems like it should be next?

When all you do is smile and feel happy for everyone else but never yourself, it starts to get real dark...

Dynamic Worlok

Your situation is unfortunate and I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but it's not fair and flat-out irresponsible to pin blame on Reimu fans, no matter how facetious you meant to be.
How can it be read as anything but facetious? Looked like he just pulled a character out of his ass for the sake of an example

I don't think anyone with a functioning cerebellum will take that as "reimu fans are bad"

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Even though Geno might be out of the race, I hope we can get to 4000 pages just so we can claim a legendary milestone with this thread having twice as many pages as the Ridley Smash 4 thread which use to be the biggest character support thread on this site's history with 1952 pages.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
How can it be read as anything but facetious? Looked like he just pulled a character out of his ass for the sake of an example
Or how about you not pull out any character at all? I understand emotions are high for you all right now, but there's no need to lash out on other fanbases for no reason.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Ah yes, the perfect example of a response to prove Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's point: he made a joke and spun a wheel and threw a dart for a random character to mention in a single post joking about how he would be slandered and screamed at, and you ree at him for just that. He can't win, and this is why he won't do it. You literally fell right into being his living, breathing example.

Congrats, ya played ya self.

Man, that's kinda how I feel being a Geno fan right now though, like I played myself.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He was clearly giving an example of how bad things can get. He's not pinning blame on any fan by that.

Don't get me wrong, I feel this conversation is pretty downhill too, but he definitely wasn't calling out any kind of fan. He could've said any particular character and it'd be the same point. Due to his experience, he's saying if he were to make a Youtube channel and say the tiniest wrong thing, he'd fear he or his family could get doxxed/something bad again. That's the point behind it.

Again, this is why I feel this conversation should be let go too. It's only going to get worse. We all agree doxxing/etc. is bad. That should be all there is to it.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Or how about you not pull out any character at all? I understand emotions are high for you all right now, but there's no need to lash out on other fanbases for no reason.
No one was lashing out, it was literally and example on how the Smash fanbase is SO TOXIC that if you talk about a character not getting in no matter how unlikely they are, they will try to destroy your life.

You are just proving him right by taking this one comment so seriously. Incredible.

Dynamic Worlok

I fail to see how that can be construed as lashing out at another fandom. That's not what that looks like. Merely mentioning another character in an example of something entirely unrelated to them isn't exactly spitting poison, and is entirely missing the point of the statement. This feels like manufactured upset.

I feel like I'm having a stroke just trying to parse this

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm just asking to play nice, but if that's too hard for this thread then I guess I'll be on my way.
Literally no one is not playing nice. We already had our local Geno fan meltdown days ago where he started actually hating on other fanbases. Lecture THAT person if you HAVE to lecture someone, but not the man who has been waiting 20+ years for a character he loves and is taking it very well in stride.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If I can be totally frank for a moment, I could boil down a vast majority of the harassment and threats to like 5 character fanbases and that's one of them. Because sometimes life reflects satire, they're all "anime" characters and why I almost never have public opinions about any of them anymore. Haven't really gotten much since the spring but a big reason was because I stopped going to Papagenos' Forest Maze because it was harassment on an almost daily basis and, without fail, somebody wanted to pick a fight, sometimes over stuff I had said months ago.

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
I think Genos biggest Hurdle is, well Square Enix itself. I remember a report from all the way back in smash 4, when they were negotiating the rights of a Final fantasy character Sakurai was hoping to get Bartz or Terra, but he was talked into taking Cloud by a high ranking member of the FF team. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to Square to negotiate another Character, but was Convinced into taking Sephiroth, as he seems to give the heads of the games he's nabbing a lot of choice on who gets in.
That’s not what happened at all. He wanted Cloud and SE was expecting him to want Noctis or Lightning. He brought up considering Bartz and Terra but he knew that Cloud is the most well known FF character.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Trolling/bait
At this point Genos chances are dead. If you think otherwise I feel bad for you. You will waste your time, but you can spend your time however you want.

I just hope we will get third Fighters Pass. Until then, there is 0% chance of playable Geno. Why would they add Geno as a costume if he is in FP2? Does not make any sense.

Also please guys stop listening to Fatman. The only reason most other sites make fun of you is because many people here just believe him and his "sources". At this point all of you have to know his sources are all untrustworthy.

Pray for FP3 or bonus fighters. Have a nice day!

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I think Genos biggest Hurdle is, well Square Enix itself. I remember a report from all the way back in smash 4, when they were negotiating the rights of a Final fantasy character Sakurai was hoping to get Bartz or Terra, but he was talked into taking Cloud by a high ranking member of the FF team. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to Square to negotiate another Character, but was Convinced into taking Sephiroth, as he seems to give the heads of the games he's nabbing a lot of choice on who gets in.
You want this character, no, we're going to make you add this other character that will be a lot more popular, and sell a lot more than the character you initially wanted.
That is utter ********, the only way that I see this being even remotely true is if Sakurai considered Cloud to be a fool's errand that Square would snot possibly agree to, and up learning he was mistaken, bit their hand off (without considering how difficult licensing music would be)

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That’s not what happened at all. He wanted Cloud and SE was expecting him to want Noctis or Lightning. He brought up considering Bartz and Terra but he knew that Cloud is the most well known FF character.
Yeah, like I said, everything points to Nintendo being the problem now.

50 bucks that their stupid new vision for Mario characters is what is stopping him from getting in.

Dynamic Worlok

At this point Genos chances are dead. If you think otherwise I feel bad for you. You will waste your time, but you can spend your time however you want.

I just hope we will get third Fighters Pass. Until then, there is 0% chance of playable Geno. Why would they add Geno as a costume if he is in FP2? Does not make any sense.

Also please guys stop listening to Fatman. The only reason most other sites make fun of you is because many people here just believe him and his "sources". At this point all of you have to know his sources are all untrustworthy.

Pray for FP3 or bonus fighters. Have a nice day!
How many times do we have to outright state that we think he's done for the pass before people stop dropping in to throw out uninformed generalizations? Do people not get how irritating that is? Just cuz Fatman believes something doesn't mean the rest of us do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom