• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
This whole pass feels like corporate picks tbh. Not to say they’re bad, but barring MinMin the appeal has been as broad as possible. At this point I’m guessing the rest of the pass will other mass appeal charcters like Crash and Dovakhin. I have a bit of hope for Lloyd but Tales is still pretty huge in Japan.

Pass 1 seemed much more like Sakurai’s picks, barring the obligatory Byleth. Maybe he struck a deal with Nintendo?
Suppose that depends on what we're counting as picks from either side. Would someone like hero count as a safe pick or a Sakurai choice?
It's hard to say in my opinion. Sakurai plays a lot of games, so it's difficult to determine which ones were getting more push from him or Nintendo. It could always be both.
(Though Byleth IS for sure one of those Nintendo decisions. Sakurai himself was kind of tired of Fire emblem by the time they added Corrin, if I remember right).

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Don't wanna be a prick, but man, Mii costume is basically "here, don't cry your fav isn't in the game" There's no point in hoping when they make you BUY an outfit from the previous game, no music, no helmet
We say this but would it surprise literally anyone if Square did this? Money's money. Square's now triple dipped when people at first said it was literally impossible. "They wouldn't make people pay .75 extra for a Mii costume and then add the actual character later at quintuple the price" and that's exactly why I was saying that the Geno costume SHOULD'NT have shown up today but it did and there's really nothing stopping them from doing this.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Giving a more open and honest answer to all of this: I've always wanted Geno to make one last hurrah through Smash, but I was always open to that not happening. I pretty much accepted that after Brawl, since I began supporting him in 2006. I was quite shocked and surprised to see him make it into Smash 4 as a costume and took that as a huge relief that we had actually been heard in some way. Feels kind of funny to be in that same position from 5 years ago tonight, although I feel like it's the equivalent of someone giving you the same birthday gift they gave you from last year.

It sucks he couldn't make it as a character, and I know not everyone shares my sentiment, but I'll take what I can get. However, that doesn't mean I can't keep supporting Geno in some way. After all, I still have fun checking in here and had the most fun when we were exchanging memes every now and then. It'd be a shame for that to suddenly come to a halt, so I hope everyone here can keep being the best they can and stick together. Go Geno! :geno: :geno: :geno:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
That costume is awesome, it made sense canonically, and we got X in infinite ALONG Sigma eventually, so all is well.

+ We got tatsunoko VS capcom, with , of all megaman characters VOLNUTT PLAYABLE

We also got GBA Zero in SVC Chaos, capcom loves their franchises more than the fans want to admit it.
I understand why that costume was put into the game, and I also understand that Capcom more than tried to make up for it in the next Marvel vs. Capcom game, which I'll definitely give them credit for... but it still doesn't change that it's a notable example of fans making their requests for their favorite character loud and clear, and getting nothing but a costume for their efforts.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I do find it pretty strange that Geno didn't get the "premium" mii costume treatment. (along with a song) From what I remember of Sakurai talking about Geno in interviews he seemed quite fond of him.

I feel like Sakurais hands might be tied up somewhat in regards to Geno.
Honestly I'm said there is no music from SMRPG that comes with Geno becuase we need a sick remake of Forest Maze.
My best guess (i have no prior history of copyright law) is that Super Mario RPG assets are split between Nintendo and Square, and that asking for permission for use of a song or a character is hard enough on either person's end that Sakurai or Nintendo just thought it would be too difficult to do in the end.

Remember how Cloud on release had a whopping 2 songs from FF?

Also, let's not forget about this timely comic:

Pokesamus217

Smash Cadet
We say this but would it surprise literally anyone if Square did this? Money's money. Square's now triple dipped when people at first said it was literally impossible. "They wouldn't make people pay .75 extra for a Mii costume and then add the actual character later at quintuple the price" and that's exactly why I was saying that the Geno costume SHOULD'NT have shown up today but it did and there's really nothing stopping them from doing this.
Outside of the fact that them doing it is still filtered through Smash. Which has never done something like that before.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Fair question. Why did they bring K. Rool's costume back? Why did they bring Gil back when maybe like 5 people bought it? Could be a completion thing but, like I said, I consider Geno not going deluxe to be a dodged bullet so I'll see what happens in the next year. In the grand scheme of things, it's a small obstacle.
The answer for this is pretty obvious. I’d said it before but I’ll say it again, I have no doubt all the mii costumes were negotiated for during the end of Smash 4.

Because the just basically ported everything over and polished it up, while expanding the content. We already know from Steve and our get reports ultimate was already being formed during Smash 4.

They very clearly wanted to make sure these assets could be bought over because it was easy content. Surethis kinda of helps your point but rool is at least 1st party. Geno is not and so they probably had to stick with the costume and only planned to bring it back with another character later on.

Geno realistically was probably never planned and always meant to come back with another square character. Hence why we couldn’t even get him promoted because he was never meant to be. He was meant to come back as is, hence why all deluxe costumes were new characters. I appreciate the hope but it’s probably going nowhere.

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet

Attachments

Griselda

Smash Lord
Hm. While I'm not sure if I'm sold on the 'Geno's still coming later in the pass/as a bonus DLC' idea, I will admit that this is all very strange. Even putting aside that Geno's name was supposedly constantly coming up in insider circles, there was something very odd about the whole thing. His costume is the only one that doesn't get any sort of mention? It's not upgraded or coming with music?

What stands out to me, though, is that the theory about 'Square only puts in things to promote releases so SMRPG is coming to Switch Online' didn't appear to pan out. Why is that game still absent? Even if we claim that nobody knows/very few people know Geno (which isn't true, he's been trending on twitter like three times this year?) then why is the game he's from still not available? Those who don't know Geno are going to be confused by his costume and go looking for the source material, but they won't be able to find any modern release of said source material. I dunno if it smells like a future development for Geno, but it is pretty odd.

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
The answer for this is pretty obvious. I’d said it before but I’ll say it again, I have no doubt all the mii costumes were negotiated for during the end of Smash 4.

Because the just basically ported everything over and polished it up, while expanding the content. We already know from Steve and our get reports ultimate was already being formed during Smash 4.

They very clearly wanted to make sure these assets could be bought over because it was easy content. Surethis kinda of helps your point but rool is at least 1st party. Geno is not and so they probably had to stick with the costume and only planned to bring it back with another character later on.

Geno realistically was probably never planned and always meant to come back with another square character. Hence why we couldn’t even get him promoted because he was never meant to be. He was meant to come back as is, hence why all deluxe costumes were new characters. I appreciate the hope but it’s probably going nowhere.
Wait

WAIT

So if FP3 is a thing (and it will be, niche games like Soulcalibur are on their third pass and smash sold thrice more copies, nintendo is good friends with money)

OH GOD OH GOD

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I’m not one for talking about tinfoil-y, unrealistic theories... but they are fun to think about.

Say that those SMRPG remake rumors ARE true... what if Geno got a redesign? And that redesigned Geno was the one who got into Smash? It would make sense that the mii costume didn’t change much at all. Probably won’t happen, but like I said, it’s fun to think about.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

And that's people's personal decision to make. Ultimate has been an ongoing case of "they'd never do that" every two to three months so this isn't exactly a new situation when an argument can be made for every single DLC character that they "shouldn't" have happened because of X, X, and X.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
what i dont understand is how Sakurai simply ignored Geno in that stream, seriously did his mind change or something on the guy?
He probably realized how much it stung, considering Mii Costumes were shown right at the beginning instead of towards the end like usual. I'm very sure he'll give his thoughts on Geno in an interview or Famitsu column in the coming weeks.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He probably realized how much it stung, considering Mii Costumes were shown right at the beginning instead of towards the end like usual. I'm very sure he'll give his thoughts on Geno in an interview or Famitsu column in the coming weeks.
Honest question but has he talked about any of the Mii costumes yet for Ultimate aside from Sans?

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
The sad thing for me is, Sans got the deluxe treatment and a song, so they see Sans in a more serious way than they see Geno. Not saying that Sans is a bad character in any way, but I think Geno deserved at least that too. Also Sakurai didn't even say anything about him so I think he changed his mind about liking Geno. Sorry if this post came a little too sad, I don't wanna turn anyone's hopes down if they still have some.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So are you guys planning to campaign for any other Geno(and Mallow) appearances in other Mario media now it appears to be over for Geno in Ultimate?

Like Mario Kart Tour or something for example?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
And that's people's personal decision to make. Ultimate has been an ongoing case of "they'd never do that" every two to three months so this isn't exactly a new situation when an argument can be made for every single DLC character that they "shouldn't" have happened because of X, X, and X.
I mean don’t get me wrong if Geno or Sora got in still I’d be extremely happy and lose my mind over it.

But given Sakurai couldn’t just wake up one day after Bayonneta got added in 4 and go

“What if we went Ultimate? Quick call all these companies up!”

A game like ultimate has to be planned years in advance and it seems it has. So I think the fact every Mii costume has fit with the characters that actually became playable, it’s clear the distribution of this costumes was very intentional and not made up on the spot. So I think in the case of square where we know Dragon Quest was talked about before Ultimate even release( Elderick was known 9 months before his reveal, meaning talks happened before it released) , I imagine the other Square content was planned at the same time. Could be wrong and I would love to but from a negotiations and development standpoint, this is the only thing that really makes sense imo.
Honest question but has he talked about any of the Mii costumes yet for Ultimate aside from Sans?
Yes, he talks about each of the deluxe ones and their games after their reveals.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So are you guys planning to campaign for any other Geno(and Mallow) appearances in other Mario media now it appears to be over for Geno in Ultimate?

Like Mario Kart Tour or something for example?
Isaac fans are trying to get Golden Sun to come back, and if Billybo10K's words are anything to go by, they might've succeeded. There's also rumors for a Mario RPG remake/sequel, so we might have something

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
One reason I have slight hope for a Fighters Pass 3 is that GameXplain recently reported on an interview that someone had with Doug Bowser. In it, I think he made a statement along the lines of "We believe the Switch is only about halfway through it's lifecycle". Even if they wanted to stop on Ultimate a few years early before Nintendo's next generation console to maybe work on the next Smash, that's still a few years away. I don't know much about the business side of video games, but it seems like it just makes financial sense to have at least one more Fighters Pass.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm spreading misinformation.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I will say this, I actually like how the costume looks A LOT more this time around.
  • The Colors are MUCH more Vibrant, the yellow looks EXACTLY like it should compared to the weirdly dull color they used in 4. His body also looks sliiightly darker, it's great.
  • The cape in Smash 4 felt really... weird. It barely moved at all, it made the spikiness of the design look really off. Not in this game, it's wooshing around all over the place.
  • MII GUNNER DOESN'T AWKWARDLY HOLD THEIR ARM CANNON BY DEFAULT ANYMORE IN ULTIMATE, it's such a huge change to making the costume actually fit Geno.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean don’t get me wrong if Geno or Sora got in still I’d be extremely happy and lose my mind over it.

But given Sakurai couldn’t just wake up one day after Bayonneta got added in 4 and go

“What if we went Ultimate? Quick call all these companies up!”

A game like ultimate has to be planned years in advance and it seems it has. So I think the fact every Mii costume has fit with the characters that actually became playable, it’s clear the distribution of this costumes was very intentional and not made up on the spot. So I think in the case of square where we know Dragon Quest was talked about before Ultimate even release( Elderick was known 9 months before his reveal, meaning talks happened before it released) , I imagine the other Square content was planned at the same time. Could be wrong and I would love to but from a negotiations and development standpoint, this is the only thing that really makes sense imo.
And that's just it too. Geno's been around for 2 years in insider circles. He was never specifically heard as a Mii costume and is currently the first Mii costume that was heard this far out. Kind of like I said the other day, this is a lot of people getting fooled on a single topic and not just hobbyists like me if this is genuinely the end of the road.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
It isn’t fair, it just ain’t ***ing fair for y’all.

After all the years of ridicule, naysaying and bullying they’ve received, the fans of :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: finally got their long deserved requested characters and yet Geno fans still get spat on for having that exact same desire, just why?

Because he’s a 24 year old side character from a one shot Mario game? That may be true but so ****ing what? That fact remains is that he’s a wanted and popular character in the Smash community and your complaining and hatred WON’T change that.

Here’s until Smash 6, Isaac fans didn’t quit and I don’t expect y’all to either.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
The sad thing for me is, Sans got the deluxe treatment and a song, so they see Sans in a more serious way than they see Geno. Not saying that Sans is a bad character in any way, but I think Geno deserved at least that too. Also Sakurai didn't even say anything about him so I think he changed his mind about liking Geno. Sorry if this post came a little too sad, I don't wanna turn anyone's hopes down if they still have some.
Personally, I don't think that's the case at all. Maybe for the other deluxe Mii Costumes but certainly not Sans. There's a difference between working with a enormous company who has copyrights across the world, and one dude who made a cool RPG and is a personal friend of Sakurai. For a deluxe Geno costume, you gotta negotiate with Square. For a deluxe Sans, you could probably just phone up Toby Fox.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
One reason I have slight hope for a Fighters Pass 3 is that GameXplain recently reported on an interview that someone had with Doug Bowser. In it, I think he made a statement along the lines of "We believe the Switch is only about halfway through it's lifecycle". Even if they wanted to stop on Ultimate a few years early before Nintendo's next generation console to maybe work on the next Smash, that's still a few years away. I don't know much about the business side of video games, but it seems like it just makes financial sense to have at least one more Fighters Pass.
It's possible, but remember that Splatoon 2, one of the only games Nintendo tried to push as an e-sport effectively stopped (most of) its updates in 2019. It's entirely possible that this Pass is the final one for Ultimate.

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
Would it have hurt SE to allow Battle on the Big Bridge, Antipyretic, or Dancing Mad? I just don't understand that SQUARE as the DaVinci of the golden age of JRPG's is limiting their inclusion to the gaming museum strictly FF7 themed.

Sadly, I think Geno's chances are close to nil but I am not going to resign myself 100%. Like mentioned before, I can enjoy all the reveals now without being nervous if the next one is "the one" or not.

I really hope a reporter is able to ask Sakurai about how handling Geno changed between Smash 4 and Ultimate and pass it on to the public. Would love to hear about that discussion with Sephiroth, Cloud, Hero and how Geno was treated on SE's end - seriously or an afterthought.

Finally, I also agree that Sakurai is not at fault here one bit. This is a Square Enix decision with potentially little to zero nudging from Nintendo willing to leave "well enough" alone. Fanbase needs to keep the pressure on and exposure to a maximum if anything is to change.

All my remaining "wants" are much more nice to have and not ZOMG IN SMASH PLEASE. A Protoman echo and maybe someone like Mike Jones would be nice. Otherwise, here's to Fighter 9.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Giving a more open and honest answer to all of this: I've always wanted Geno to make one last hurrah through Smash, but I was always open to that not happening. I pretty much accepted that after Brawl, since I began supporting him in 2006. I was quite shocked and surprised to see him make it into Smash 4 as a costume and took that as a huge relief that we had actually been heard in some way. Feels kind of funny to be in that same position from 5 years ago tonight, although I feel like it's the equivalent of someone giving you the same birthday gift they gave you from last year.

It sucks he couldn't make it as a character, and I know not everyone shares my sentiment, but I'll take what I can get. However, that doesn't mean I can't keep supporting Geno in some way. After all, I still have fun checking in here and had the most fun when we were exchanging memes every now and then. It'd be a shame for that to suddenly come to a halt, so I hope everyone here can keep being the best they can and stick together. Go Geno! :geno: :geno: :geno:
Agreed. The quest for new SMRPG content continues. As we found out with Steve, a lot of these things take a long time to manifest. For all we know, our efforts over the years could lead us somewhere completely different. I'm looking forward to whatever the future holds for this fandom and for Operation Starfall. As a forever fan of SMRPG, I'll be there to support them.
:geno::geno::geno:

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I hate to be a blind optimist leading up to inevitable disappointment but maybe they never updated the Geno costume for a reason.

You have to remember that this is the same costume from Wii U/3DS and not a new outfit for Ultimate like Travis, so they didn’t bother updating it to Deluxe version like Sans/Cuphead nor did it receive a track like how Bomberman and Vault Boy didn’t, if it was introduced in Ultimate then perhaps that could’ve been the case.

This could be the case like K Rool’s or even Heihachi’s costume because it was already established before so there could’ve been no reason to fully remove it, implying that a playable character can still co-exist with it.

I doubt it’ll happen for DLC but just an observation that benefited base roster characters like Chrom and Isabelle.

For now, our only means of support is with our wallets.
Go buy the Geno outfit when it drops on the Eshop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom