• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Now that geno is less likely, time to pay more attention to my other most wanted characters, which 2 still have a chance, the rest don’t. I see a lot of hate for Sakurai and it’s not justified at all.

Im almost positive Crash bandicoot is one of the 3 remaining slots left so that’s 2 more chances for Geno imo, even if the chances are lower than ever

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
Geno's fate is in our hands...

First off, let's vote with our wallets and buy the Mii costume.
Second, if you have any kind of artistic talent, put it to good use by channelling this community's passion and dedication to Geno and all things SMRPG... I'm talking fan films, fanart, fanfics, mods, fan games (despite Nintendo's... um... questionable treatment of the latter two), you name it.

None of us know what's keeping Geno out of the spotlight. I won't be making any theories about Nintendo or Square's attitude during a potential attempt at a deal that might have not even happened. But to quote Thanos in an approximate fashion, "we'll do it ourselves."

Last edited:

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Also did sakurai say that some of the songs won’t come immediately or am I wrong? If I’m not wrong that means square is still stingy as ever, just a bit more lenient tho...

Geno is someone Sakurai would be happy to put in I believe, it’s just up to Nintendo and Square

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I said if he was a costume that it would be a copy and paste from Smash 4 and not deluxe. Like I said a few days ago, interesting turn of events but I'll take it.
It’s not a copy and paste though, unfortunately. It’s gotten an upgrade by quite a bit. I think it’s best to just let the disconfirm ring out here, man. I know you’ve been loyal to this character forever now and you don’t have to give up on it if you don’t want to but I think this is as solid a disconfirm as we can get.

I’m super bummed out about it but all I can do is look forward to a possible Pass 3 (maybe) or next game. I dunno man, this is a hit.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I guess I might drop in now and then just in case anything comes up - which it could, I guess, even if it's like 99.9% impossible (of course, I don't have any knowledge beyond what Smash lets me see so that's just my opinion based on what's out here. If someone's still 'hearing Geno' in the office, I wouldn't even know about it). I mean, I don't see any reason to delete my account or anything like that. But overall, I guess I gotta back Waluigi, now, right? As much as my support even matters for him, anyway.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Sorry you guys didn't get your character. It's quite unfortunate he couldn't even come with music.

I would strongly caution you to wrap your heads around this being it for him this time though. I know most probably already have, and that's great, but genuinely for your own sakes, any further expectation won't end in your favor. I don't say that to prod or instigate, I'm being as sincere as a random on the internet can be. This is how it ended up for Geno this time.

You all did admirably to support the character, but in Smash some camps always come up short. The bright side is Smash is so huge, there will always be a next time.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Hey all, I'm just popping in from the Isaac thread to offer my condolences. I had a bleak feeling he'd get Mii'd and I didn't want to be right, as you all worked so hard as a community, but the lack of premium was just... shocking, to say the least. I hope you guys can continue to support Geno for years to come, even if the dream is over for now.

Smash 6 may one day happen, and like the Ridley, Banjo & K. Rool communities, you can't let this get you down. Because one day, you may succeed.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
So glad I never felt the need to touch that orgy of narcissism and human putrescence in the first place.
You're in the good, my friend! Unless you heavily control what kind of content you see, Twitter is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.

Straight up not using the platform is the best choice, though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dude, come on. Stop stringing these people along. It's over, just accept the loss and let them mourn.
I might have not been much in this thread, but god, this sailor gets nothing but utmost respect and even admiration from me. Not everyone is able to settle back on the ordinary after such long years of support this passionate that is has become an iconic part of the Smash's fan culture as a whole through mods, video tributes, and like - and still has gone tenaciously up to this day since more than a decade ago.

That, frankly is nothing short of magnificence.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Mostly I'm just giving people time to process things and see where we're at tomorrow. Of course things can never be cut and dry but that's kind of a basic expectation at this point. I've been doing this for so long that hard hitting the wall ought to be part of the training manual of this fanbase but it is what it is. I'm the patient sort and have seen my fair share of bad days. Feel what you need to feel and come back to the thread if and when you're ready.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
248 Users and 522 Guests huh? I guess They're expecting us to be mad or go in a rampage but at least for me, I'm okay with it.

It's such a blunder what just happened, but at the same time I don't regret supporting a character that I love in a game that I love.
I won't stop wishing for him to return in some way. For now, I will try to beat Sephiroth to get him now :3

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I honestly feel like this deconfirms Geno for Ultimate. Even if they've got plans for more characters beyond FP2, I feel like those plans would be brewing already. And it kinda sucks, because who even knows where we'll be by Smash 6. Let's keep supporting Geno, but man, there might be a lot of popular characters by the time the next Smash game comes along.

Either way, I'll still be here posting in this thread. We gotta stick together

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Don't do that and give up the dream. We got to stay strong even if we have to wait until Smash 6.
I appreciate your words! Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing away with Cacomallow altogether, just the Twitter account which has now been officially contaminated by the toxic side of Twitter. I'm not giving up hope, I'll just keep it low-key and away from that hellhole.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
One of the primary reasons for the Geno resurgence was an offhand comment about Sakurai liking Geno, and I have heard others expecting him entirely because of Sakurai apparently liking the character so much.

With how much he non-stop gushed about Sephiroth today and the abysmal representation Geno received with a casual port of the Smash 4 costume, I think it is exceedingly clear who Sakurai prefers.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
While yes Square is probably guilty. They have every right to want their most iconic and successful projects/properties in the game.

However I doubt it's all Square. Mario's team can be luke warm to the success of even new characters like Rosalina. I can only imagine they would look at Geno and wonder why him when they have effort put into so many other still active Mario characters.

Geno's lack of inclusion is on NUMEROUS things. Not just Square being the "villain."
While the mario team have their issues, its not the Mario team. According to a few insiders, there's an IP protection team at Nintendo that limits what they can do with Mario now, something Tanabe alluded to by saying restrictions have been placed on them basically removing creativity.

Despite that though, I doubt the mario team would actually care. If they did we would have a Mario rep this pass, which seems very unlikely. We aren't getting Waluigi, Rosalina is in, there aren't big options left except Toad, Captain Toad, and maybe Pauline or King Boo. We basically have anyone else that would make sense for Mario, so I bet Nintendo really doesn't care what happens with the reps for the series at this point in smash.

Also I wasn't saying Square is bad for wanting to promote new stuff, just that, that's exactly why Geno is not and probably never will come to smash now. I truly felt that with the title of Ultimate and Ridley and K Rool getting in, this was Geno's last chance. Now I'd say I feel the same, he's probably done for good unfortunately. At least there's some amazing smash mods for him.

NukeLaBelle

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nukenai
I think the worst part of it is that we were made to wait 2 years for The Same Thing Again. We recently had the 5 year anniversary of the costume's release, my FB memories were full of me screaming about how thrilled I was. On that day I got several friends offering me condolences and whatnot. When I walked into work, my coworker greeted me with "I'm SO sorry..." ...but I was happy! I was legitimately thrilled that Geno got any recognition, and I loved playing as the costume. Yeah I had my complaints about it because of Nightmare Face but I dealt with it. I was super super thankful and my plague of never-ending dreams of getting him playable in Smash abruptly ended until Ultimate's announcement, lol.

And this whole time I was legitimately saying (probably if you searched my twitter you'd get 900 results about it) that if we just got the costume again, that would shut me up! I'd be so happy.

So what's really taken all the wind out of my sails is just how LONG we waited. Imagine if it had come out with Hero and we were all able to just move on and be like "yeah it's kinda ugly, but we're happy to have it!" like we were (or I was) with the costume the first time. That's what hurts the most. Waiting so long and giving us all this hope... just to give us something that doesn't even have an upgrade. It's just such an annoying kind of letdown.

Ah, well.

Anyways I think the new color for the wood body is kind of ugly lol

Terry Badguy

Smash Cadet
It truly is a disgusting practice... I've really had my share of most toxic memories with the community back in Smash 4-era, regarding that kind of excessive, ignorant pouring salt on the wound.

(:ultchrom:/:ultdaisy:)
This is why you uninstall twitter, Mario RPG is the greatest love letter square has ever written to Nintendo, and people these days didn't play the game and claim geno stans are ****ing worthless trash, there was a time when mentioning this game would get everyone to say "oooh I remember! I looooved this game!"

But now good luck to find someone on the internet that won't mock Geno, it is actually sadly ironic how FF7 was when Square decided to stop publishing on Nintendo consoles following the Nintendo Playstation "drama", Sephiroth came in smash to remind us that Square forgot about their past: Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Secret of Mana and now nothing ever existed before FF7

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Well, the Sephiroth showcase came and went. When Sakurai kicked it off by showing the Mii Costume wave first I was like "WTF?!?!?!". First came the obvious choices; Barret, Tifa, and Aerith. Then came the missing Chocobo Hat. Then, as soon as I heard the "Beware the Forest Mushrooms" track I froze, and then without any splash screen or confetti, nothing, they unveiled the Geno Mii Costume (pretty much a 1:1 from Smash 4). Whoa. Even after they showed all the Mii Costumes, the fact that it was shown off first contrary to the past showcases kept me thinking if Sakurai was holding off a surprise at the end. Sephiroth's moveset was shown, later his stage, then his classic mode, music (which 9 tracks with some of them being arrangements is pretty good imo), and ultimately came the end of the presentation. No surprise; nothing. After having dinner, I still find myself thinking, "what happened to Sakurai having wanted to add Geno back in Brawl because he thought him to fit really well in Smash? Why simply copy and paste Smash 4's Mii Costume?". What was the point of Nintendo tweeting about two years ago about SMRPG asking fans if they were Team Mallow, or Team Geno? Either bias is making me think this way or there is something actually off out of all of this?

Nevertheless, for the time being, it is what it is. Despite the fact that we had Mii Costumes from Smash 4 be promoted to playable fighters in Ultimate; despite having a fan-favorite, relic from the N64 era character be brought back in all his glory as Challenger Pack #3 (and a character from an IP now owned by a rival of Nintendo), it really felt like Ultimate was the moment Geno would be upgraded to a playable fighter. In the end, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and all of its DLC are products developed by video game Companies in order to make a profit. Sure Ultimate is a celebration of gaming, but first and foremost it's meant to make big cash. I do believe however that of the remaining Challenger Pack slots, the choices will try to bring in other names that hopefully are representative of video gaming history and fame (i.e. Crash Bandicoot, Ryu Hayabusa, Dante, Doom Guy, Lloyd Irving, etc.). Yet, despite today's outcome and despite having Geno's Mii Costume return, I won't call it quits until this DLC cycle is over. The expectation will take a back seat, but it won't be discarded. Sakurai and the staff that have been working on Ultimate's DLC are the only ones savvy of what's going on, and who's coming next.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It’s not a copy and paste though, unfortunately. It’s gotten an upgrade by quite a bit. I think it’s best to just let the disconfirm ring out here, man. I know you’ve been loyal to this character forever now and you don’t have to give up on it if you don’t want to but I think this is as solid a disconfirm as we can get.

I’m super bummed out about it but all I can do is look forward to a possible Pass 3 (maybe) or next game. I dunno man, this is a hit.
Like I said, I'm seeing how things play out. People are free to choose their thoughts and emotions on this one and I won't force it one way or the other.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
One of the primary reasons for the Geno resurgence was an offhand comment about Sakurai liking Geno, and I have heard others expecting him entirely because of Sakurai apparently liking the character so much.

With how much he non-stop gushed about Sephiroth today and the abysmal representation Geno received with a casual port of the Smash 4 costume, I think it is exceedingly clear who Sakurai prefers.
Byleth. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom