• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
To top off just how strange the apparent numbers are, as far as what's coming with this character update, Sakurai also posted this in reference to the presentation today...

1608217745343.png

So, if this is reading correctly (alas, google translate), this is saying that the voice actor for Cloud is going to be going over his nemesis and what he can do in Smash. Which means this presentation will lean more towards what Joker's was, versus every other Sakurai Presents... Does this have a bearing on what we can expect?

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
To top off just how strange the apparent numbers are, as far as what's coming with this character update, Sakurai also posted this in reference to the presentation today...

View attachment 295936

So, if this is reading correctly (alas, google translate), this is saying that the voice actor for Cloud is going to be going over his nemesis and what he can do in Smash. Which means this presentation will lean more towards what Joker's was, versus every other Sakurai Presents... Does this have a bearing on what we can expect?
Don't you just love it when Mr. Sakurai explains crisply from the morning?

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Did You Know Gaming's SNES facts compilation happens to start with Super Mario RPG.
Just thought it was cool.

View attachment 295936

Cloud's Japanese voice actor is named Takahiro Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

Well, the only scenario where the questions will be close to zero is if we end up getting a premium costume. I'm sorry, but if we get a premium, as in completely revamped with music, there really shouldn't be any question that Geno is dead. Every other scenario, however, yes, there will likely be more questions than answers. And if his costume is absent entirely? Hooooooo, boy.
I think the question of how the insiders got so thoroughly bamboozled is an important one, even if we never learn.

I think this sums it up.

Also yay! I learned how to use multi-quote.
Thank you for spoonfeeding me. These news post IDs have been fairly reliable in the past, so there's a chance that this is accurate and Sephiroth will come with very few news posts, or they're going beyond 110 and we're still waiting for the middle numbers.

What I'm wondering is why mii costumes get their own news item on the individual level, if they do. It seems like every time I see any mii costume updates they're all shoved into one news post regardless of how many there are.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Did You Know Gaming's SNES facts compilation happens to start with Super Mario RPG.
Just thought it was cool.

Cloud's Japanese voice actor is named Takahiro Sakurai.
Wow. That's actually hilarious that Sakurai's presentation will be taken over by Sakurai.
bekphnqftcb41.jpg

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I recognize their writing style and I don't want to give it away but it is someone with a Smashboards account and somebody who has a history of complaining about me on other sites. They basically make the same thread every 3-4 months and make the same complaints every single time.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I recognize their writing style and I don't want to give it away but it is someone with a Smashboards account and somebody who has a history of complaining about me on other sites. They basically make the same thread every 3-4 months and make the same complaints every single time.
Looks like you got yourself a secret admirer

Grumbo

Smash Ace
So there’s a chance there’s only one or two miis? He’s definitely coming with chocobo, and I’m still thinking Cacomallow is real, even if it doesn’t exactly indicate the characters. I’m tempering my expectations but I have a shred of hope left.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Reminder that Sakurai Presents Sephiroth is happening this Afternoon depending on your timezone.

Heoj

Smash Ace

View attachment 295936

Im pretty sure the idea was that because sakurai and clouds voice actor share a similar name, sakurai was just mentioning that clouds voice actor wasnt gonna be the one explaining things

Firox

Smash Master
I think the question of how the insiders got so thoroughly bamboozled is an important one, even if we never learn.
Insiders: "How is this possible?! How could all of us have been wrong all this time?!"

(three years ago)

Nintendo exec 1: "Gosh dang it! I'm so tired of all these leakers stealing our thunder. What's a guy got to do to generate some surprise hype around here?"

Nintendo exec 2: "What if we just start spreading all kinds of insane rumors around the office just to see who bites? When the rumors turn out false, all the blabbers will have destroyed their credibility."

Nintendo exec 1: ".....make it so, Numbuh Two."

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Im pretty sure the idea was that because sakurai and clouds voice actor share a similar name, sakurai was just mentioning that clouds voice actor wasnt gonna be the one explaining things
After deciding that maybe Google Translate was not the best deciding factor in the universe, I checked out three other Translation pages, and, you appear to be correct; It's not Sakurai saying Cloud's VA is taking over, it's Sakurai clarifying due to the similar names. Checks out!

D

Deleted member

Yes, that's what's being implied here. It's like if Sakurai were an American named John Smith and Cloud's voice actor were James Smith. "Mr. Smith presents: Sephiroth" can be joked to be either of them presenting Sephiroth. But in this, Sakurai would like to remind us that it's him, not the other Smith.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Doomsday today.
What gets me about the anti-Geno rhetoric is that people forget why Geno is getting so much traction with this game, let alone the last few years. Need I remind people of a certain character that's listed as my main?

Remember when he was revealed and everyone came out the woodwork in the hopes of their character coming back in the spotlight and joining that big ass mural on the site? Relevancy doesn't matter and didn't matter, everyone was ecstatic with King K. Rool appearing. Even the haters were flabbergasted and after Ridley, he was the de-facto punching bag.

NOW of all a sudden, the rules they were using against King K. Rool's inclusion is now being ramped up with Geno. Exhibit 1:

K. Rool gets in and now the haters are using him for ****posting with Ridley. I can also confirm they did this with Ridley before K. Rool was confirmed. Needless to say, posts like this don't age well. Exhibit 2:

Banjo gets in and someone hastily makes an edit (And of course they use a wojak) with Geno and add Banjo-Kazooie in the image (The original Banjo was a poor screenshot, hence Banjo's five-yard stare). Basically, if a big never-ever gets in, one that has notable vitriol, the losers pretend that the character was important and big, K. Rool being the villain of an acclaimed trilogy (Two technically), the same arguments that were used for his inclusion that were disregarded. Banjo still gets **** to this day, well-documented at that. The recurring theme here is Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo were big requests for Smash starting last decade and Geno being one of the later faces that reemerged with the last game. People are still baffled at his popularity when all you have to do is look at the characters who made it in. Geno isn't relevant, pushing a new game or shilling an upcoming title, but he has a notable presence in Smash going back to Melee of all things. K. Rool proved you don't need to do any of the above and simply have the fanbase willing to play as him, that's the same as Geno. He was the ray of hope that led other people hope that their never-ever could get in. The period from 8/18 to 10/18 was a great moment for Smash and seeing all the Isaac, Skull Kid, Panel de Pon and other smaller fandoms come in with their character and it wasn't too far out there. If K. Rool got in, anyone could get in.

Sadly, only a few made it through the cracks (And Banjo-Kazooie being the two that slipped through of all characters) but the sentiment was enough; if King K. Rool could get in, why not Geno? Banjo-Kazooie returned home, why not Geno? That's literally it. No rhyme or reason, just a character that stood out from the others at the time coming in as a full-fledged fighter. Even now, the Super Mario RPG cast is unconventional among Mario. They always whine that Geno fans should lean on other characters, as if liking Geno is a crime. If you like Chrono Trigger, that's fine. Like Chrono Trigger. Let the Geno fans push for Geno and you push for Crono. That's really what it is, this character has traction and is more popular than the other character so people try to shame others for liking the more popular character.

And maybe that's why Geno is where he is right now in the Smash fanbase. There's a chance that he could be reduced to a mild costume for another character and there's the chance that he too may make it through the cracks and all of the ****flinging and trolling will blow up in their faces like it did before. The two images I posted will not only be obsolete, but will showcase a very petty part of the Smash fandom, one that really makes me want out of this fandom after Ultimate's DLC finishes. This will be the only time that schadenfreude is seen as a good thing, third time was the charm with Banjo-Kazooie, but one more won't hurt with Geno joining the playable roster.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Random topic but is anyone else slightly annoyed at the sheer number of reaction videos where the reactors don't recognize One Winged Angel at all? It genuinely kills me because there's only two things that have timpanis that loud: One Winged Angel and when your mom walks into a Baskin Robbins and I doubt anybody's mom is going to be in Smash anytime soon.
Yeah, I’m a musician and that song is one of the most recognizable tunes in the history of gaming. I knew who it was from the first orchestral stab and watching these HaRdCoRe gamers still squinting even after the first woodwind trill like they don’t know who this is made me cringe.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I honestly was a little slow about sephiroth reveal. I thought it was him during the first 3 notes until Cloud brought up his name.

I do remember hearing One Winged Angel music track in other videos. (example: Sonic's Quest for Power 3 Final part)

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Not sure if this has been discussed but who are you all hoping for as a costume (exempting Geno if he has any chance left)? Crono will probably never get in so a costume would be neat. The other Final Fantasies need some attention too. Terra or Cecil or Black Mage would be cool.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Regarding the site data, did that also work with previous characters like Min Min? (where the Mii costumes were grouped with that character's reveal) I figure it's safer to double check that (if possible) than to find out too late that this was only the case with Steve, other Mii costumes were separated from the character release notification by a number or two, and Sephiroth's actually getting six Mii costumes.

EDIT: checked Min Min and Byleth using the image URLs for each event, and the same pattern seems to apply. To use Terry as an example:
Exclusive online offer before Terry's release: 051
Terry released: 052
Fighters pass available: 053
Ryo costume: 054
Nakoruru costume: 055
Iori costume: 056
Akira costume: 057
Jackie costume: 058
Version 6.0.0 update: 061
Version 6.1.0 update: 065
Version 6.1.1 update: 066
Photo contest: 068
Exclusive online offer before Byleth's release: 069

Not sure what's up with numbers 59 and 60 - there were two tournaments between Terry's release and version 6.0.1, but they seem to have their own numbering. Some numbers might be placeholders in case bug fixes or smaller updates need to be made, like versions 6.1.0 or 6.1.1.

Not sure if this has been discussed but who are you all hoping for as a costume (exempting Geno if he has any chance left)? Crono will probably never get in so a costume would be neat. The other Final Fantasies need some attention too. Terra or Cecil or Black Mage would be cool.
I'm hoping for something like Chocobo hat, Tifa, Barret, Kain (Final Fantasy 4), Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy 5), and Vivi (Final Fantasy 9) if we get six Mii costumes. (or Chocobo hat and Tifa or Barret if we just get two) As much as I wanted to include some FF6 content in there, I wasn't sure how well the characters would fit, but I really want to see other Final Fantasy games beyond FF7 get some attention.

Last edited:

Kektendo

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I’m a musician and that song is one of the most recognizable tunes in the history of gaming. I knew who it was from the first orchestral stab and watching these HaRdCoRe gamers still squinting even after the first woodwind trill like they don’t know who this is made me cringe.
I was in a discord call with friends and couldn't hear OWA, but I had a feeling it was him. That said, I hadn't heard OWA before the trailet anyways, at least not in the context of it being Sephiroth's theme. I am uncultured lmao. Great song tho

Geno Boost

Smash Master
*Geno fans when the Mii costume segment begins
View attachment 295938

(His costume could very well show up today, but I still believe in Geno's chances. Ready yourselves Geno thread. Let's jump into the belly of the beast together!)
*Geno fans when the Mii costume doesnt show up

Last edited by a moderator:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given that FF7 will have two outright fighters I don't think its that much of a disappointment if the costumes would dominated by other SE games.

-Terra
-Chrono
-Geno(?)
-Neku
-Chocobo Hat

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Regarding the site data, did that also work with previous characters like Min Min? (where the Mii costumes were grouped with that character's reveal) I figure it's safer to double check that (if possible) than to find out too late that this was only the case with Steve, other Mii costumes were separated from the character release notification by a number or two, and Sephiroth's actually getting six Mii costumes.
We didn't use it with MinMin as far as I can recall, but it was thanks to pinshadow pinshadow who posted the photo contest results that allowed speculation for FP7 to progress as well as it did

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Still, the raw site data that pinshadow pinshadow and MondoMega MondoMega found is invaluable. It's basically saying that we're just getting one or two Mii Costumes at most with Sephiroth.
Yep. One is absolutely Chocobo because 1. it's Final Fantasy and 2. it's the only Mii costume aside from Heihachi that was deemed important enough to be featured in a character trailer in Smash 4. Even if it ends up being two, I've gone into detail about Geno likely dodging the axe but just to summarize some of the bigger talking points:

-Every single pack except Hero has come with at least one new and one old costume. With Chocobo, the odds of the second being totally new is a lot higher.

-In Ultimate, franchises with playable characters have a minimum of 2 Mii costumes if they have Mii costumes at all.

-In Ultimate, all the Mii costume waves reflect the playstyle of the fighter. Sephiroth is a swordfighter so, if he gets a second costume, odds are extremely high it's a Mii swordfighter.

-Mii swordfighters have shown up in 6 of the 7 packs compared to 4 with Gunner.

-With DLC, Square tends to only promote stuff you can buy with little hassle immediately following the presentation. SMRPG hasn't been in a readily purchasable form in over 2 years.

Fun stuff.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
*Costume still doesn't show up with Sephiroth

*Geno detractors on their way to tell us why he still has no chance
View attachment 295939
*Sakurai on the way explaining to us why Geno couldnt be added because Square-Enix and Nintendo prevented him to do so on the upcoming article

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*Costume still doesn't show up with Sephiroth

*Geno detractors on their way to tell us why he still has no chance
View attachment 295939
This is inaccurate. He's not wearing basketball shorts, his head is too big, he's only a third as fat as he should be, and he's putting physical effort into literally anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom