• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

By the time we hit tomorrow, there will be a decent portion of followers from the Newcomer and Social thread. People watching from GameFaqs and ResetERA also show up. We’re pretty famous for being a cult in this thread! Once the Geno costume shows up, GameFaqs will make multiple topics on us. A couple of trolls show up. Maybe that Tomasagaz little fellow, will make yet another account to trash us and get banned. Also a severe possibility of the thread getting locked down once again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chad K Rule

Smash Cadet
Dont let the hate get to you guys if things end up sour tomorrow. Geno has been on the list of characters I want, being (Geno, Monster hunter, Wonder Red, and Frogger). I can accept that people dont want a slot taken up by a character like Geno, I accepted Steves inclusion because he made people happy.

Yet... I saw nasty hate for the inclusion.

There is no good reason for people to harrass a fan-base that isnt harming anything, people who do that probably have problems of their own for going around the Internet to cyber bully as a way to entertain themselves. What ever happens continue doing what ever makes you guys happy.

DeputyDalmatian

Smash Cadet
So I haven’t posted in quite a while but I’m always around lurking; some of you guys are remarkably motivational and after a bad day it’s always nice to read through your conversations and positive thinking—Geno means a little something different to all of us, and to me he reminds me of playing SNES with my mom back in the day. Obviously, it’s easy to think it’s over with Sephiroth showing up. I wish I had some super in depth theory to support otherwise, but I don’t have anything so well thought out. I will share my opinions though—I’ll be honest, from the start of DLC, I never in a million years thought we’d get any kind of FF content after Cloud. Like, I LOVE FF7. But Sephiroth or Tifa or any other FF characters weren’t even a thought. And not because I want Geno, just because I thought it was laughable. I mean, what does SE have to gain by having characters from their flagship franchise on a console that so rarely houses that same franchise? (Not to discredit Joker). Anyway, Sephiroth literally left me with my jaw on the floor it was so wild. And ironically enough, that’s actually why I still believe Geno could be in. NOTHING is for certain, NOTHING is off the table (except Goku). We’ll all have a better idea moving ahead tomorrow—but for now, to paraphrase the current anime I’m watching, “in probability theory, there is no zero.” :)

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Frankly, the only outcome that would legitimately irritate the hell out of me is Geno's costume being a 1:1 port of Sm4sh's. It was so ugly, and the lack of a helmet ruined the costume as a 'consolation prize'. It's really not hard to model a head for the gunner, especially since it wouldn't need any special rigging or anything. It'd just need to be stuck on there. It'd be the easiest possible bone to throw Geno's fan base, so to not do it would be infuriatingly tone-deaf.

Then again, this is Nintendo. They're known for being tone-deaf, and who knows if Geno's visage on display is enough to get their panties in a wad over, "B-BUT MUH MARIO UNIVERSE RULES!!!"
Yeah, I could see myself getting pretty upset if they don't update the hideous costume from 4. If Geno must be a costume, at least give us a nice one now that they're clearly able to do so.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
By the time we hit tomorrow, there will be a decent portion of followers from the Newcomer and Social thread. People watching from GameFaqs and ResetERA also show up. We’re pretty famous for being a cult in this thread! Once the Geno costume shows up, GameFaqs will make multiple topics on us. A couple of trolls show up. Maybe that Tomasagaz little fellow, will make yet another account to trash us and get banned. A severe possibility of the thread getting locked down once again.
If Geno's costume returns tomorrow, maybe the legendary Thunder Productions will finally visit Smashboards for the first time ever lol!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Anyone who comes into the thread to be a douche should be reported, not responded to. The mods aren't going to close the thread because a bunch of hecklers are coming in, they're going to close it when the thread devolves into arguing and ****flinging. Pick up what I'm putting down, no matter what happens tomorrow, don't be a reactionary asshat about it. It's fine to be disappointed, even angry, but don't start hurling insults, calling Sakurai a poopoo head, and wishing death on Square and Nintendo. Seriously.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Anyone who comes into the thread to be a douche should be reported, not responded to. The mods aren't going to close the thread because a bunch of hecklers are coming in, they're going to close it when the thread devolves into arguing and ****flinging. Pick up what I'm putting down, no matter what happens tomorrow, don't be a reactionary asshat about it. It's fine to be disappointed, even angry, but don't start hurling insults, calling Sakurai a poopoo head, and wishing death on Square and Nintendo. Seriously.
Please keep this in mind everyone. No matter what the outcome is

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Everyone here's made their predictions about the Mii Fighter costume wave. Might as well throw mine in, and I'm gonna make a real bold prediction here...
  • Tifa
  • Terra
  • Zidane
  • Chocobo
  • Hunter's Armor
  • Rathalos Armor
... yup. Not only am I predicting Geno's costume won't show up, but also that this costume wave will break the "Square Enix content only comes with other Square Enix content" pattern. Why the Monster Hunter costumes, specifically? Mostly because it could serve as a nice nod to Final Fantasy XIV and its collaboration with Monster Hunter World.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
By the time we hit tomorrow, there will be a decent portion of followers from the Newcomer and Social thread. People watching from GameFaqs and ResetERA also show up. We’re pretty famous for being a cult in this thread! Once the Geno costume shows up, GameFaqs will make multiple topics on us. A couple of trolls show up. Maybe that Tomasagaz little fellow, will make yet another account to trash us and get banned. Also a severe possibility of the thread getting locked down once again.

In that case there can only be one thing we can do. That is to be better than that.

I shouldn't be the first to say that if Geno's Mii Costume arrived, we should feel good about it. But I'll be honest, I'm hoping to not play their game if that is the case. Let's just be sure regardless of the outcome we don't fall for their clout.

MexoKatonSB

Smash Cadet
okay. hearts pounding, crowds are shouting, guests arriving and i know their doubting

some on our side, some against the tide, some even wanna see this thread die

but look, whats this? what's upon the light of a holy bliss?

the record shattering, world chattering, man salvaging, dream challenging, holy sky, molten fry look in Sakurai's eye?

it's geno. the one y'all been waiting for.

not a chance of the man being a mii eyesore

he's broken free of the shackles of the mii, coming home to smash for all his friends to see. finishing up the impossibles legacy and bringing smiles to you and me.

now i don't know this puppet to long. my knowledge on him ain't really all that strong. but you've all inspired me and stringed me along.

i support the puppetier with great joy and queer, that this is being made for ALL to see and hear

i don't rap, but i sure got rhymes. my finals are tomorrow and i'm on the last lines. scared out of my mind of the dangers it will bring. but the hype for Sephiroth keeps me in swing.

these lines have to end i'm afraid, but with all my appreciation for mario history. i hope Geno is safe from the Mii Costume Curse, and that he'll be playable to save you for your misery.

thank you.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For Mii costumes, I expect it already to be pure Square.

• Tifa(Brawler)
  • Barrel(Gunner)
  • Aerith(Swordfighter)
  • Chocobo Hat
  • Geno Deluxe(with maybe two songs at most) and/or Moogle Hat
I'm hoping Geno escapes, but otherwise, I see only FFVII content coming. What killed the idea of generic FF stuff(the only thing that wasn't entirely FFVII was Chocobo Hat due to using a design from a spin-off game, but it's still a character from FFVII and the only credits are to FFVII as well) was Sephiroth's actual thing; "Super Smash Bros. x Final Fantasy VII". If it was just Final Fantasy, sure. But it's not. Base game and Smash 4, two instances, were laser-focused on VII alone. I highly doubt it'll change.

If it does, Squall costume or bust.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Y’know, tomorrow could be the final nail in Geno’s metaphorical Smash Bros. coffin. If his costume returns or is upgraded then he’s most likely out of the running for good. On the other hand, if Geno’s mii costume doesn’t show up in tomorrow’s presentation, it might be one of the best things to happen to us.

It’s one thing for Geno to avoid Hero’s Mii costume wave since Dragon Quest is more or less an Enix property, but for him to avoid a fellow Square owned character like Sephiroth’s wave? That would look extremely suspicious, and it could possibly be one of the biggest pieces of evidence towards Geno’s inclusion as a playable fighter.

There is honestly no in between here, we basically live or die based on tomorrow’s events. All we can do now is hope, and we’ve been doing that for awhile now.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Everyone here's made their predictions about the Mii Fighter costume wave. Might as well throw mine in, and I'm gonna make a real bold prediction here...
  • Tifa
  • Terra
  • Zidane
  • Chocobo
  • Hunter's Armor
  • Rathalos Armor
... yup. Not only am I predicting Geno's costume won't show up, but also that this costume wave will break the "Square Enix content only comes with other Square Enix content" pattern. Why the Monster Hunter costumes, specifically? Mostly because it could serve as a nice nod to Final Fantasy XIV and its collaboration with Monster Hunter World.
I wouldn’t even be too shocked by this. I could easily see Llyold or Chrono get costumes here too. They both have katana like weapons which fit the theme of what Sephiroth has. Which is one of the most defining traits of his look, so getting mii fighters with weapons like his wouldn’t be shocking.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So I found something that may mean nothing but was interesting enough to share regardless. Here are the Smash 4 costumes that returned via DLC and the characters they came with:
  • Joker (Tails and Knuckles, both from Sonic)
  • Banjo & Kazooie (Zero and Proto Man, both from Mega Man)
  • Terry (Akira and Jacky, both from Virtua Fighter)
  • Byleth (X and MegaMan.EXE, both from Mega Man)
  • Min Min (Heihachi from Tekken)
  • Steve (Gil from Tower of Druaga)
If you notice, the only time that more than one costume was included in a wave, both were from the same series. We know our remaining five costumes are Geno, Chocobo, Lloyd, and the Monster Hunter armors. It's guaranteed we're at least getting the Chocobo hat tomorrow, but bringing Geno along as well would be the first time two returning Mii costumes from different series were brought back. Could mean nothing... but could also mean something.

At the very least this assumes we'd be getting the Monster Hunter costumes in the same wave (which would make sense anyway).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
  • Tifa
  • Terra
  • Zidane
  • Chocobo
  • Hunter's Armor
  • Rathalos Armor
My Mii costume predictions for tomorrow are:

Tifa
Barrett
Aerith
Chocobo
Lloyd
2B

CB Johnny

Smash Rookie
"Exclusive offer for Nintendo Switch Online members.

If you have an active Nintendo Switch Online membership, you can download the Spirit Board Challenge Pack 7 - Challenge Powerful Enemies! - for a limited time. Note that this offer does not apply to accounts using a free trial."

This seems to have become a thing within the past two hours. Does this add to any patterns or theory crafting for any of y'all?

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Well guys after making it so far and seeing that tomorrow just might be the end of the road or the continuing of the journey, all I can say is thanks for this thread. I mean If not for all you guys supporting this one video game character like you have, I never would’ve discovered one of my favorite RPG games of all time nor would I ever get that inspiration to make that Geno for Smash YouTube video that continues to still get views today! I know that things may go as we hope, maybe they won’t but I won’t dig the grave till I see it. That’s how I was when I believed truly on the night before that November 2018 direct that Isaac was in and while that day still hurts, I can’t ever forget that fleeting feeling I had. So just wanna say thanks fo all the support guys. I’m ready to go till the very end.

D

Deleted member

So I found something that may mean nothing but was interesting enough to share regardless. Here are the Smash 4 costumes that returned via DLC and the characters they came with:
  • Joker (Tails and Knuckles, both from Sonic)
  • Banjo & Kazooie (Zero and Proto Man, both from Mega Man)
  • Terry (Akira and Jacky, both from Virtua Fighter)
  • Byleth (X and MegaMan.EXE, both from Mega Man)
  • Min Min (Heihachi from Tekken)
  • Steve (Gil from Tower of Druaga)
If you notice, the only time that more than one costume was included in a wave, both were from the same series. We know our remaining five costumes are Geno, Chocobo, Lloyd, and the Monster Hunter armors. It's guaranteed we're at least getting the Chocobo hat tomorrow, but bringing Geno along as well would be the first time two returning Mii costumes from different series were brought back. Could mean nothing... but could also mean something.

At the very least this assumes we'd be getting the Monster Hunter costumes in the same wave (which would make sense anyway).
That’s pretty much why the Geno costume DOESNT have to come back with Sephiroth. Geno and Chocobo are not a real pair like Tails and Knuckles. They’re like Lloyd and Gil. However, if there are no plans with Geno, they might as well bring the costume anyway.

MexoKatonSB

Smash Cadet

If you have an active Nintendo Switch Online membership, you can download the Spirit Board Challenge Pack 7 - Challenge Powerful Enemies! - for a limited time. Note that this offer does not apply to accounts using a free trial."

This seems to have become a thing within the past two hours. Does this add to any patterns or theory crafting for any of y'all?
wait did nintendo tweet this out or somethin?

The Fantasy Smasher

Smash Cadet
All of the discussion has made me curious, what is the general consensus on Genos fate tomorrow? I created a poll down below and it would be great to see what everyone thinks. Please vote!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, Steve/Alex are Challenger Pack 7 itself, so it's likely just an extra way to get the content as is. So you don't need to buy their actual Challenger Pack to do so. It's Minecraft, so easy promotion in itself. It's the best selling game in the world, after all. You can't easily pull it off via the company for promotional purposes otherwise.

I don't know if it's supposed to be free if you already have the Pass or their Challenger Pack though? I forget how it works.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Gimme a sec...

Challenge Pack 1: July 30th, 2019 (same day as Hero)

Challenge Pack 2: August 30th, 2019 (5 days before Banjo)

Challenge Pack 3: November 4th, 2019 (2 days before Terry)

Challenge Pack 4: January 27th 2020 (day before Byleth)

Challenge Pack 5: June 25th 2020 (4 days before Min Min)

Challenge Pack 6: October 8th 2020 (5 days before Steve)

Averaged together these things tend to come up roughly 3 days before their character's release.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Gimme a sec...

Challenge Pack 1: July 30th, 2019 (same day as Hero)

Challenge Pack 2: August 30th, 2019 (5 days before Banjo)

Challenge Pack 3: November 4th, 2019 (2 days before Terry)

Challenge Pack 4: January 27th 2020 (day before Byleth)

Challenge Pack 5: June 25th 2020 (4 days before Min Min)

Challenge Pack 6: October 8th 2020 (5 days before Steve)

Averaged together these things tend to come up roughly 3 days before their character's release.
Joker is Challenger Pack 1.

This is supposed to be Steve/Alex's Challenger Pack.

I just downloaded it.

Though your pattern looks correct either way, you just have it labeled wrong?

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys I'm out, I got a dentist appointment tomorrow morning and work later that night. So I'll miss the shenanigans, but it's been real. If Geno is deconfirmed after he had so much going for him post Hero then I honestly believe he doesn't fit Nintendo's Mario Mandate and even if they were to remake SMRPG they'd just replace Geno and Mallow with a Toad and a Koopa Troopa. Also, this community got so much unfair flak the past year or so. Sure some people here may be a bit too gullible at times (seriously just let Cacomallow die at this point)... but to get flak from a community that by and large believed that the chairs in Sakurais room is a secret code, or that Nintendo delayed a direct after a natural disaster hit Japan because of a potential Smash character using Earthquakes is some serious glass houses and stones ****.

If it's over then it's been fun posting with you all. If its truly all ogre I fully expect this thread to be locked, and probably never be reopened again. So let this be the soundtrack of this thread if he is costume'd

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Just checked the ingame site... it's message number 110.
hqdefault.jpg

Give me a second to check, but this tells us A LOT about what we are going to see tomorrow.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
From that image you posted, I take it that what we'll be seeing during the presentation tomorrow will be... motivating?
He was able to correctly figure out the number of Mii costumes Steve had because of the in-game messages so this could be big.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, last message number was 103 for the Mario Photo Contest, and this promotion is number 110, meaning that seemingly, Sephiroth is not coming with a lot. Let me run through what messages they always have, and how many that leaves for Mii's.
  • 104: Version Software 10.0 Coming Soon
  • 105: Version Software 10.0 Available.
  • 106: Sephiroth Challenger Pack Available to Purchase
  • 107: Fighter Pass 2 Available For Purchase
  • 108: Mii Costume Number 1
  • 109: Mii Costume Number 2
And that's it. So... only two Mii Costumes. When there were two Square Costumes very obviously held back from Hero's Pack. One of them being Geno.

1602882930510.png

This is REALLY not looking good guys.

EDIT: Should be noted that when Banjo released on the same day, they did not give a warning for the update. So he could POTENTIALLY come with three costumes, but it's a stretch since it's the only update they never did a warning for. Either way by far the lowest amount of costumes coming with any character, but Cloud ALSO only came with two in Smash 4.

2ND BIG EDIT : Disregard this post, it seems I missed the two posts for the 9.01 and 9.02 updates, skip ahead a few pages for more info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom