• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yep, I didn't play FF7 either, but that song is very iconic to me because of Advent Children, the movie.
My first encounter with it was getting my **** completely slapped by this man in Kingdom Hearts 1.

why is it that big of a deal that some people didnt recognize the theme? I didn't recognize the theme because i havent played ff7
I think it's just an expectation that gaming youtubers, who... you know, very often make money sitting around discussing video games, would know one of the most iconic songs in gaming history. This isn't some nobody, this is Sephiroth, the main villain from the most overrated Final Fantasy game of all time. This song comes with him no matter where he goes, it feels like... Final Fantasy 7, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, and Advent Children is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
why is it that big of a deal that some people didnt recognize the theme? I didn't recognize the theme because i havent played ff7
I'm mostly just being an ass but, at the same time, Sephiroth is like the only iconic video game villain that has a specific theme in every game he's in. Yeah, villains like Ganon and Bowser kind of have leitmotifs they recycle but Sephiroth is like the only one that has a full ass theme.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I literally found a guy who knew it was sephiroth because of the slash having a unique sound to sephiroth's sword… it's crazy lol

But yeah the most triggering thing so far is people saying it is kingdom hearts inspired, which is NOT. It's a ****ing homage to Advent Children movie, like get it right already PEOPLE.
Tbf, the only KH thing on him is his black wing and even then, that carried into FF much like how his theme follows him wherever he goes

or how he follows cloud whereever he goes

Last edited:

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I'm pretty sure I didn't think it was Sephiroth at first, not because I didn't recognize One Winged Angel, but rather, I didn't want to believe it :nifty:

HanSoloIndie

Smash Cadet
Random topic but is anyone else slightly annoyed at the sheer number of reaction videos where the reactors don't recognize One Winged Angel at all? It genuinely kills me because there's only two things that have timpanis that loud: One Winged Angel and when your mom walks into a Baskin Robbins and I doubt anybody's mom is going to be in Smash anytime soon.
I mean like, I'm the same type of person who regularly listens to Super Mario Galaxy, Devil May Cry, Doom, Sonic the Hedgehog, and sometimes Final Fantasy music, so I guess you can say I have quite a varied taste. In the trailer, I IMMEDIATELY recognized the One-Winged Angel remix from Advent Children. Also, I'm even more surprised people weren't freaking out how well-timed One-Winged Angel played to Sephiroth cutting through another PHYSICAL GOD Galeem.
Here was my friend's reaction to me knowing FF7:
Edit1.png

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I mean like, I'm the same type of person who regularly listens to Super Mario Galaxy, Devil May Cry, Doom, Sonic the Hedgehog, and sometimes Final Fantasy music, so I guess you can say I have quite a varied taste. In the trailer, I IMMEDIATELY recognized the One-Winged Angel remix from Advent Children. Also, I'm even more surprised people weren't freaking out how well-timed One-Winged Angel played to Sephiroth cutting through another PHYSICAL GOD Galeem.
Here was my fired's reaction to me knowing FF7:
View attachment 295820
That gives me some additional hope for tomorrow

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
To be fair to some reactors, music recognition is an inconsistent thing among people, and given the heat of the moment with a lot of fans mentally guessing at who the character might be, I can't blame for not immediately recognizing one particular piece, One Winged Angel or not.

What's funny is that I've actually heard that piece used in a number of non-FF7 related video essays, so one some level I associate it more with them than that game, at least some of the time.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I have never played a KH or FF game and I knew that song. Who ever said that Sephiroth's song is the Boomer's Sans song is spot on.

But man, that music slaps. And I will actually cry if we get a joker situation where we don't get the music from the trailer. (If you didn't know, Life Will Change is not in Smash Bros)
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen lol. People joke a lot about the music but we are gonna get treated decently this time.

I'm mostly just being an ass but, at the same time, Sephiroth is like the only iconic video game villain that has a specific theme in every game he's in. Yeah, villains like Ganon and Bowser kind of have leitmotifs they recycle but Sephiroth is like the only one that has a full ass theme.

I didn't play FF7 until like 3 or 4 years ago, and I had known that song since I was playing ocarina of time on my N64 lol, because how popular FF7 has always been specially since it was first released. It's like knowing the Mario theme. Yes people, it is that well known, just as sephirtoh is known as one of the most iconic video game villains (every list in the internet has him) alongside bowser and ganondorf lol.

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Random topic but is anyone else slightly annoyed at the sheer number of reaction videos where the reactors don't recognize One Winged Angel at all? It genuinely kills me because there's only two things that have timpanis that loud: One Winged Angel and when your mom walks into a Baskin Robbins and I doubt anybody's mom is going to be in Smash anytime soon.
Yes, holy hell. I've never played FF7 but One Winged Angel is a piece of music that may as well be the most famous hymn in the church of gaming. Literally within the first four notes I knew who it was, so when I see people squinting and acting like they have no idea who this sudden orchestra hit could be associated with, it boggles my mind.

Do these people play video games or do they just talk about them on youtube?
There were two that particularly annoyed me. One of them being a guy who was hoping it was Sora after One Winged Angel started playing(despite that Sephiroth LITERALLY appears in KH1 and 2), and the other where I believe someone/a group of people reacting thought that Sephiroth was Dark Zelda. I’m not kidding.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Nerd alert, but I remember a long time ago going to see a symphony orchestra play classic video game themes. This was before orchestral arrangements of games became semi-commonplace. The lineup was something like: Legend of Zelda, Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross, Metal Gear Solid, Halo, Sonic, Mario, World of Warcraft vanilla. The big finale, though, was One Winged Angel. It was pretty darn cool to hear that song live with a large chorus.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It is interesting that Fighter's pass 1 and and 2 are somewhat matched up with one Nintendo character, one Square Enix fighter, and one that's essentially Microsoft owned. While another SNK figure may or may not be likely, another Sega rep certainly feels reasonable, if not guaranteed.

I'd love a dark horse choice like something from Phantasy Star (at least to get one 16 bit RPG character in this second pass) but who knows?

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Yeah, ready to get it over with. Personally, I have no invested in Smash after the costume comes back ... so I couldn't care less who's in the pass. It'll be closure and time to move on and not thinking about Smash speculation anymore.

D

Deleted member

When we came into FP2, we needed the following

Geno
Heihachi
Gil
Lloyd
Chocobo
Monster Hunter

This assuming that Rathalos has simply been upgraded to Assist from Armor.

We had six characters for these to potentially come back with, and we've been getting them one at a time.

Forthestarcapelad

Smash Apprentice
You know what's additionally disappointing about the mii costume for me personally?
Now I can't even make a joke about how the reason Geno isn't in is because he wears no pants and smash is a game for "good boys and girls."
Truly, this mii costume is troublesome.
...Wait.
Mallow wears pants and HE'S a good boy...
Mallow confirmed???

Otoad64

Smash Lord
You know what's additionally disappointing about the mii costume for me personally?
Now I can't even make a joke about how the reason Geno isn't in is because he wears no pants and smash is a game for "good boys and girls."
Truly, this mii costume is troublesome.
...Wait.
Mallow wears pants and HE'S a good boy...
Mallow confirmed???
if they add a smrpg character that isn't geno that would almost be a bigger slap in the face then the mii costume

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
At this point I'm convinced it's so they can time their reaction with the splash screen, even though you absolutely know who it is the moment you hear BUM BUM BUM BUM

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Geno mii costume will be the biggest slap to the face. I'd honestly rather him just not added at all. That probably sounds objectively sour I guess, but the mii fighters are incredibly obnoxious to the majority of the community so the amount of respect from your peers will be at like 10% out the gate. Even if your playstyle is slick and saucy people will sd and leave battle with you in elite smash the second you load in. The amount of moves that could be added for Geno that would feel great in Smash too... the gunner's kit is okay, but so far from Geno and if I have to fight against a Geno who spams grenade launcher and down b mines that have zero to do with Geno, all with a high pitch squeaker voice, a little piece of my soul will die.

Call me overdramatic, I don't care. I've waited far too long to have him dealt that fate. Keep him out of the game until he's ready to be playable for real.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I think the big question for tomorrow is whether or not the likely Mii Costume is Premium or not, there is something that's giving me an odd bit of peace about the whole thing. One of the reasons I've wanted Geno in is to enshrine Mario RPG in a major franchises like Smash. It was a genuine masterpiece right before the genre exploded in the west and it paving the road for Paper Mario and M&L led to a lot of fantastic games in both series.

But you know what? In a lot of ways in the last 10 years, the character and the game have been enshrined to the memory of many people who otherwise wouldn't have heard of him. Just by sheer virtue of Smash videos, discussion boards like this, and even stuff like Twitter trends have made him (and Mario RPG by those that have become curious about playing it) more well known now than ever. The game was on the SNES Classic, people are constantly asking about it showing up on SNES online, and even outright spiritual successors are getting kickstarted.

Essentially the title that was immediately overshadowed by Mario 64 and often left out of major hype after Pokémon and Final Fantasy 7 blew up RPGs in America/Europe? Its only become more famous and well remembered as time marches on. In an era of people disappointed by the homogenization of certain Mario spin-offs, its unique status as a Nintendo/Square blend stands out al the more. Fan art, remixes, and even hacks of existing games have given the likes of Geno and Mallow a life beyond being one shots in a moderately successful Super NES game from 25 years ago. A quarter of a century later, that essentially a single game character could be getting a premium costume and a song despite a lack of releases at all featuring him?

That does immortalize him in a way more than I was once willing to give credit to, and I don't think either him or Mario RPG will be disappearing from people's collective memories any time soon.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Another thought, it means nothing, but it's the kind of thing I want to put out there:

A long while ago I said that it was pointless to hate Piranha Plant because in the end, Sakurai wanted to make a creative moveset and applied Piranha Plant to it, not really the other way around. Sephiroth is a sword character with absolutely unparalleled range and who knows what other kinds of shenanigans attached to him - clearly some form of limit, as well (I'm thinking it's a Terry style where he gets it at high damage, like a true RPG villain). Sephiroth hasn't stolen Geno's moveset, and in fact, no one has. A potential moveset is still out there for this character, and that's that. Only our fan rules, which this community has stood up to in every other situation, tell us that Geno can't come now that Sephiroth is here.

Geno is a collaboration character, maybe even fair to say he is Nintendo's first collaboration character, and Smash is a collaboration game. He's definitely a Mario character and would come with Mario things... What company really is repped in that pack?
What is this positivity?! I don't even know you anymore!

JK, you have a really good point about Geno's moveset. Not only would he still retain his originality, but let me also point out that we haven't had a SINGLE gunner-type fighter out of either of the fighter passes (I don't really count B-K and Joker's B move doesn't count either since it isn't integral to his fighting style). Geno would still offer something very fresh to the pool of DLC fighters.

D

Deleted member

What is this positivity?! I don't even know you anymore!
Me neither.

Despite the kind of blatantly untrue things I may have said previously, Sephiroth does continue the trend of balance nightmares that I predicted FP2 would be well known for. It's hard to imagine Geno being a balance nightmare, but timed hits would certainly be a challenging mechanic to integrate and dole out decent reward for the execution potentially required.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
If Geno survives tomorrow we need someone to make the Dante meme where he looks and says “what the hell is this”. Just grab a 4chan page of Geno detractors and gamefaqs detractors and stick it all together.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Frank didn't need being owned by Disney to be a prince/princess.

He was already the prince of his homeplanet. Seriously look into it.

This has been me ruining Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's joke with little known trivia since 2020.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom