• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

My stance is simple. I'm not arguing that the Geno Mii costume WON'T show up on Thursday, it's that it SHOULD'NT based on what me and a number of people know. If it appears, the situation becomes even stranger. On this note, on the off chance that it does show up on Thursday, it's not going to be "deluxe." It's going to be copy and paste from Smash 4 and with no music just like, well, all the other Smash 4 DLC costumes. It's not going to be treated special, it will just be "a thing" to pad out Sephiroth's Mii costume spread. Again, another reason why I'm not despairing about Thursday.
Curious, who is this Awkwah dude and why is he so confident that Geno will be playable despite Sephiroth’s reveal even with the things he heard?

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, it would be lovely if the next 3 fighters are a Assist Trophy promotion, a Mii costume promotion, and a 2nd rep from a company already in the Pass. That way, all the fan rules can die in Fighter's Pass 2 and the community can shut up about these silly fan rules people make that don't exist in the first place.

Last edited:

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, it would be lovely if the next 3 fighters are a Assist Trophy promotion, a Mii costume promotion, and a 2nd rep from a company already in the Pass. That way, all the fan rules can die in Fighter's Pass 2 and the community can shut up about these silly fan rules people make that don't exist in the first place.
It's been proven time and time again that fan rules really don't mean anything at all.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
In the event that we only get the standard Mii costume from Sm4sh, there is still the incredibly miniscule possibility that Nintendo/SE are planning to double dip and end up releasing Geno as a fighter anyway. Why? Because if they were to recycle the old costume with Geno himself, who would bother to buy it? If they want to get any cash for the old costume, assuming Geno would come as a real fighter, their only option would be to release it ahead of him.

Could you imagine the catastrophic salt/hype if Geno were to get revealed after everyone had already thrown in the towel? Fans would think all is lost, haters would be creaming themselves with joy only for the tables to turn deliciously against them? It would literally be the most epic reveal in Smash history purely due to all the emotions attached to it.

That said, and I can't stress this enough, this possibility is insanely minute. To be completely realistic, we will either get a premium costume (which I would take as a solid, inarguable deconfirmation) or the lame old costume and nothing more. Still, Sakurai has established himself as the Nordic god of Surprises, and also the Destroyer of Fan Rules, so really anything is possible. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
That’s a good point. They still brought back the K Rool, Isabelle, and Inkling costumes despite them all being upgraded to fighters. We haven’t had a case yet of a previous Mii costume being upgraded as a DLC fighter. So if it happened with Geno or Lloyd, we just assumed the costume wouldn’t return at all. But we don’t know that. And you’re right, if they brought back the costume and also added them as playable, it would only make sense to release the costume first, otherwise the playable fighter would cannibalize the costume’s sales. So even if Geno’s regular costume comes back on Thursday, there’s still a chance that he’s added later. So I’m not going to give up until Sakurai says that Ultimate’s DLC is finished.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The only other character specific Mii Fighter costume left apart from Geno is Lloyd, and like Geno, we should keep our eyes open on it as well.
Honestly, if Lloyd isn't in Fighter's Pass 2 I think we'll see his Mii costume return Thursday with Sephiroth since he is a RPG character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Curious, who is this Awkwah dude and why is he so confident that Geno will be playable despite Sephiroth’s reveal even with the things he heard?
I can't speak on his behalf but, on my end of things, I was told that there would be a December reveal sometime in mid November but it wouldn't be at the VGAs. Based on Geoff's Zoom call from early October, I had assumed this meant no VGA reveal and that Nintendo would most likely do their own thing before Christmas. Now I'm simply waiting things out to see if something (if anything) unfolds.

Firox

Smash Master
That’s a good point. They still brought back the K Rool, Isabelle, and Inkling costumes despite them all being upgraded to fighters. We haven’t had a case yet of a previous Mii costume being upgraded as a DLC fighter. So if it happened with Geno or Lloyd, we just assumed the costume wouldn’t return at all. But we don’t know that. And you’re right, if they brought back the costume and also added them as playable, it would only make sense to release the costume first, otherwise the playable fighter would cannibalize the costume’s sales. So even if Geno’s regular costume comes back on Thursday, there’s still a chance that he’s added later. So I’m not going to give up until Sakurai says that Ultimate’s DLC is finished.
EXACTLY! You hit the nail right on the head. If all we get is Geno's old Sm4sh costume, that should give us MORE hope, not less.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Very unlikely. Square content has only come with Square characters, so Lloyd will be safe for now. Only Geno is potentially at risk
That could happen too. But honestly aside from the FF characters, the only other Mii costumes I could see in Sephiroth's pack is 2B and perhaps Geno. I expect Chocobo to return as well.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I just don’t think it would make sense that Geno is a costume then later playable. If he’s a costume, then I think it means they have no plans for playable Geno. It seems a bit wishful thinking IMO. Either the Geno costume is available alongside playable Geno or the costume is scrapped.
Honestly it will seem like a scumbag move to me. Some Geno fans will buy the costume thinking he is disconfirmed only for Nintendo to go "psych, here is the real deal, now give us $6 more dollars!". I think the costume will return either with Geno or after him if he is playable.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Honestly it will seem like a scumbag move to me. Some Geno fans will buy the costume thinking he is disconfirmed only for Nintendo to go "psych, here is the real deal, now give us $6 more dollars!". I think the costume will return either with Geno or after him if he is playable.
I mean yeah, I get that point. But what if Geno was added as a freebie after the pass? I don’t think anyone would be upset if they had spent $0.75 on his costume prior.

Firox

Smash Master
While I totally agree that releasing Geno after his costume would be pretty jacked up emotionally speaking, when has being emotionally abusive to fans ever been a problem for Nintendo? LOL At the end of the day, Nintendo is a company, and they would love what any company loves: Money and Headliners. If they were to release the Geno costume during or after his reveal, it would be an almost total loss financially. Plus, if Sakurai gets off on surprises, how could he pass up the one character that was heavily requested that NO ONE would expect to get in?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don’t think Nintendo and especially Square would be okay with Geno given away for free...
I mean, Square-Enix 100% owns Geno and Nintendo already allowed the Dragon Quest protagonists and Sephiroth as DLC in this cycle so it might be possible they will give him out for free like Nintendo did with Plant.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That was more of a thing for K. Rool and Isaac. Geno just seems to be about putting a character a group perceives as cool into the game for the sake of it. It's not like Geno is going to cause a sudden sequel or remake of SMRPG, and if he does, that is not the goal. The goal is Geno in Smash.
Wow, this is hella off.

We want SMRPG back in full-force, and let me tell ya, getting Geno in Smash is only the start of that.

We definitely want a remake or sequel, not sure who you've been talking to but it ain't Geno Bros.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You know, whether people love Geno or hate him, you have to admit, Geno fans are a tenacious bunch. Even in the face of Sephiroth himself, there are so many holding their ground and proclaiming, "This ain't over yet!"
CUZ IT AIN'T OVER TIL THE FAT YOSHI SINGS!

I DON'T HEAR ANYTHING FROM HIM, DO YOU!?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wow, this is hella off.

We want SMRPG back in full-force, and let me tell ya, getting Geno in Smash is only the start of that.

We definitely want a remake or sequel, not sure who you've been talking to but it ain't Geno Bros.
Yeah, Geno getting in Smash would help the SMRPG brand rise from the ashes faster. But it's not as necessary as some of you guys think. After all, back in the day on Nintendo's Japanese site it said the Smash Ballot was a suggestion box and it's data would be used for future games. So that's not just counting Smash.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
You know, whether people love Geno or hate him, you have to admit, Geno fans are a tenacious bunch. Even in the face of Sephiroth himself, there are so many holding their ground and proclaiming, "This ain't over yet!"
Mostly because it's common sense to not jump to conclusions until all the facts are in and declaring victory or loss prematurely is never a wise thing to do.

D

Deleted member

I mean, Square-Enix 100% owns Geno and Nintendo already allowed the Dragon Quest protagonists and Sephiroth as DLC in this cycle so it might be possible they will give him out for free like Nintendo did with Plant.
The thing is though, if Nintendo and Square knows how popular Geno is that he would sell like hotcakes. That’s why it it would be a poor investment for Geno to be a 75 cent costume then a free character when a 6$ character is much better.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
CUZ IT AIN'T OVER TIL THE FAT YOSHI SINGS!

I DON'T HEAR ANYTHING FROM HIM, DO YOU!?
I think I hear him singing now:

The thing is though, if Nintendo and Square knows how popular Geno that he would sell like hotcakes. That’s why it it would be a poor investment for Geno to be a 75 cent costume then a free character when a 6$ character is much better.
I guess you're right. Square-Enix might be too greedy to give away Geno for free.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...were there any bits like there were with Steve that clued us in to how many costumes we're getting with Sephiroth this Thursday, or have not had any blank updates been found?

Last edited:

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Hot take: Never understood the Mii costumes can not be fighters fan rule, obviously the new deluxe Mii costumes won't become fighters due to there being actual work put into the models and a song, but I never understood why Mii costumes can not be fighters to some people. THE BASE GAME HAS SO MANY MII COSTUMES BASED ON FIGHTERS.... and DLC Mii costumes deconfirming fighters never made sense to me. As far as we are aware, the only official rules are the following:

1. Has to originate from a video game
2.Deluxe Miis will not become fighters(not confirmed but most likely will stay true)
3. that's it....literally the rest are fan rules that have never been broken

those fan rules are

1. Assist trophies can not be fighters
2. Mii fighters can't be fighters
3.Insert any other fan rule here

MattX20

Smash Hero
pinshadow pinshadow I just remembered you were the one last time that brought the photo contest results that helped us narrow down how many Mii Costumes would come with FP7. Can you find any indicators of this again with Sephiroth's incoming Thursday presentation?

D

Deleted member

Hot take: Never understood the Mii costumes can not be fighters fan rule, obviously the new deluxe Mii costumes won't become fighters due to there being actual work put into the models and a song, but I never understood why Mii costumes can not be fighters to some people. THE BASE GAME HAS SO MANY MII COSTUMES BASED ON FIGHTERS.... and DLC Mii costumes deconfirming fighters never made sense to me. As far as we are aware, the only official rules are the following:

2.Deluxe Miis will not become fighters(not confirmed but most likely will stay true)

those fan rules are

But that’s the thing though. You don’t get to pay for these Mii costumes in the base roster. I don’t see any reason why to make a costume then make a playable character later on. I mean, would it make sense that Travis is a costume then later he’s a full fledged fighter? That’s why people would assume there are no plan for these characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

those fan rules are

Now that I think about it, thank God Sephiroth was our first secondary non Echo 3rd party rep because not only did he killed the "No unique non Echo secondary 3rd party reps" fan rule but also the "No 3rd party villains" fan rule as well. Sephiroth killed two birds with one stone.

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
pinshadow pinshadow I just remembered you were the one last time that brought the photo contest results that helped us narrow down how many Mii Costumes would come with FP7. Can you find any indicators of this again with Sephiroth's incoming Thursday presentation?
It wouldn't help due to none of that type of that post being skipped.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hmm...were there any bits like there were with Steve that clued us in to how many costumes we're getting with Sephiroth this Thursday, or have not had any blank updates been found?
One thing I will say in Geno's defense is that nobody has heard him as a costume. Cuphead, Sans, and Travis were all heard as costumes before their reveals. Throw in how I heard Bethesda was getting "something" last November and all the "premium" costumes are accounted for. As I've noted many times in this thread since 2018, Lloyd, Ryu, Waluigi, and Geno have been heard repeatedly but nobody knows exactly why. This is very different from the leaked Mii costumes. When the Undertale content was leaked to Paragon in Spring 2019, he was told "not Sans" which is why he predicted Frisk as playable. MCG 's costume list had Cuphead on it and one of his in-betweens flat out told me Travis wasn't playable last December. Some people have said to "not take Geno seriously" but this was back in 2018 and a similar thing was said about Banjo and later Steve. This is why I'm going to be watching Thursday very intently but also being calm and collected about it.

Firox

Smash Master
But that’s the thing though. You don’t get to pay for these Mii costumes in the base roster. I don’t see any reason why to make a costume then make a playable character later on. I mean, would it make sense that Travis is a costume then later he’s a full fledged fighter? That’s why people would assume there are no plan for these characters.
See, I think it's totally fair to assume that DLC costumes won't become fighters, as you pointed out with Travis. I just think that it's a bit premature to assume that costumes CAN'T become fighters if the Smash Gods desire it. There's also a logical argument as to why pre-existing costumes from Sm4sh are best released AHEAD of their respective character in the off chance that they do become fighters. To completely dismiss the possibility is to simply create yet another fan-based rule. And you know what Papa Sakurai says to himself in the depths of his bat cave..."Rules are meant to be Smashed."

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Right now, we have nothing to suggest how many Miis we'll be getting, especially with the fact that there aren't really any in-game news recently outside of Tourneys and Spirit Events.

Speaking of, I'm curious what tonight will bring us...

MattX20

Smash Hero
One thing I will say in Geno's defense is that nobody has heard him as a costume. Cuphead, Sans, and Travis were all heard as costumes before their reveals. Throw in how I heard Bethesda was getting "something" last November and all the "premium" costumes are accounted for. As I've noted many times in this thread since 2018, Lloyd, Ryu, Waluigi, and Geno have been heard repeatedly but nobody knows exactly why. This is very different from the leaked Mii costumes. When the Undertale content was leaked to Paragon in Spring 2019, he was told "not Sans" which is why he predicted Frisk as playable. MCG 's costume list had Cuphead on it and one of his in-betweens flat out told me Travis wasn't playable last December. Some people have said to "not take Geno seriously" but this was back in 2018 and a similar thing was said about Banjo and later Steve. This is why I'm going to be watching Thursday very intently but also being calm and collected about it.
Hmm...that is very curious indeed

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
If Geno's a costume we still need to push for him, and push harder, because even if it won't save him for Ultimate it very well could open up a spot in the next Smash for him, or any future titles in general.

Sorry but no, I won't buy a Geno's mii costume again, even if it's a "deluxe", I already purchased his mii costume in Smash 4, I voted for him in the Smash ballot, and I even sent a letter to Nintendo expressing my feelings for SMRPG and Geno, Nintendo and Square Enix are fully aware that a lot of people love Geno, that they want something of SMRPG to be made and Geno a playable fighter.

And what do they do knowing all of that? They put a second FF VII character in Smash, and even worse: they DELIBERATELY WAIT one year and a half to release Geno's mii costume (if there is the Geno mii costume on Thursday), instead of releasing his mii costume alongside Hero, being at least honest to his fans.

If Geno is a mii costume yet again this Thursday, after all I said above, after Nintendo and Square Enix showing that they have ZERO interest in making Geno a playable fighter, after Square Enix getting 3 characters in Smash and no Geno playable, I have no reason whatsoever to think that they will make him playable in the future.

If they had released Geno's mii costume with Hero I would be accepting Sephiroth much better now, but they purposely waited 1 year and a half, making us waiting and having hopes for Geno, and that's not good dude, you cannot treat your fans like this.

I wish more people realized what Nintendo/Square Enix did (if Geno's mii costume shows up on Thursday).

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Travis wasn’t a Mii costume in Smash 4, so if he was going to be playable they didn’t need to give him a costume. They’ve obviously made it a point to bring back every costume from Smash 4, just like they brought back every character. So basically what we’re saying is that both a Geno costume and a Geno fighter can happen. To say it can’t is a fan rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom