• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Alright gang, here's a Mii costume analysis. No opinions, just straight facts.

Average costumes per pack: 5

Packs with hats: 3/7

Packs with Brawlers: 6/7

Packs with Swordsmen: 6/7

Packs with Gunners: 4/7

Packs with at least two costumes from the same franchise: 7/7 (This one is particularly important because in 5 of the 7 cases of this, they are different Mii types)

Packs with characters from the playable character's franchise: 5/7

Most prevalent Mii costume by pack:

Joker: Sword
Hero: Sword
Banjo: Sword/Gunner
Terry: Brawler
Byleth: Gunner
Min Min: Brawler
Steve: Brawler/Sword

Rankings:

1. Sword (4, tied in 2)
2. Brawler (3, tied in 1)
3. Gunner (2, tied in 1)

Notice how the Mii costumes tend to reflect the playstyle of their respective character pack. Terry and Min Min don't fight with weapons so most of their Mii costumes are Brawlers. Banjo uses Kazooie like a sword/club and a gun. Byleth is technically a sword user but the sword usually functions like a whip and they also use a long bow, lance, and axe. Joker, Hero, and Steve all use swords so it makes sense that a good chunk of their Mii costumes are sword users. This is even more distinctive when I do this:

Joker (Sword): 2 of 6
Hero (Sword): 2 of 4
Banjo (Sword/Gunner): 2 of 5 for both
Terry (Brawler): 4 of 5
Byleth (Gunner): 3 of 5
Min Min (Brawler): 3 of 5
Steve (Brawler/Sword): 3 of 6 for both

Just for information's sake, let's throw in the number of genuinely new costumes, not hats, each pack has:

Joker: 2 of 4
Hero: 3 of 3
Banjo: 3 of 5
Terry: 3 of 5
Byleth: 2 of 4
Min Min: 4 of 5
Steve: 5 of 6

Note how "old" costumes only come together if they are distinctly a pair (from the same franchise).

I feel like this is enough information to start establishing predictions. By this simple analysis, we can reasonably predict certain things about Sephiroth:

-Sephiroth will most likely have 5 Mii costumes.

-Since every pack except Hero has had at least one returning Smash 4 costume, at bare minimum we can expect 1 here.

-Square only comes with Square so far so one of them is pretty much guaranteed to be the Chocobo hat.

-At least half of Sephiroth's Mii costumes will probably be Swordfighters because, well, he's a swordfighter.

-By our analysis, it's reasonable to not only expect at least two swordfighters but swordfighters that are totally brand new.

-It's reasonable to expect that at least two Mii costumes (not hats) will specifically be from Final Fantasy.

So, with all this set up, here are the odds of Sephiroth having at least one of the following based on his fighting archetype as a swordfighter/weapon user like Joker, Hero, Banjo, Byleth, and Steve:

-Brawler: 80%
-Swordfighter: 100%
-Gunner: 60%

Here are the odds of more than one:

-Brawler: 20%
-Swordfighter: 80%
-Gunner: 40%

If we were to do this same analysis on "pure" swordusers (Joker and Hero), we get:

At least one:

-Brawler: 100%
-Gunner: 100%

More than one:

-Brawler: 0%
-Gunner: 0%

So, based on all of this, here's a reasonable prediction:

Sephiroth: Chocobo hat, two swordfighters, one gunner, one brawler (two of these costumes will specifically be from Final Fantasy or, much likely, another Square franchise)

Remember, the "old" requirement is already met so this hypothetical gunner doesn't have to be Geno and likely won't be. Based on "pairings" in the other packs, the most common pairs are:

Sword/Brawler: 3 (Hero, Terry, Steve)

Sword/sword: 2 (Joker, Hero)

Brawler/gunner: 2 (Joker, Min Min)

Brawler/brawler: 2 (Terry, Steve)

Gunner/gunner: 1 (Byleth)

Sword/gunner: 1 (Banjo)

Based on this, the Final Fantasy pair will most likely be Sword/Brawler followed by Sword/Sword based on typing. So, revisiting the earlier prediction, it looks like this:

Chocobo hat, Swordfighter (Final Fantasy), swordfighter (Final Fantasy/new), Brawler (Final Fantasy/new), gunner (new)

In conclusion, there are a good number of things in Geno's favor in this situation:

-He's not part of a pair

-Old costumes always make up a smaller percentage than new

-Swordfighters tend to be heavily swordfighter focused with maybe 1 brawler and 1 gunner, rarely multiple.

-All gunners that haven't been part of a pair so far have been totally brand new (Sans, Cuphead, Fallout Boy) and from totally new companies to Smash.

-At least 3 of Sephiroth's 5 costume slots will very likely be filled by Final Fantasy.

In the end, let's just wait things out and see where this ride takes us.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
My only question now is: Why no Geno? I mean, there's gotta be a behind the scenes reason. Nintendo isn't stupid, they're aware of the Geno support. It's been ongoing since like 2005, and Sakurai even showed his support at one point.

I'd really rather not have Geno fall into the Mother 3 category, but Mother 3 proves that Nintendo has a track record of ignoring fan requests for reviving something not well known. And before anyone says Nintendo has reasons for not bringing Mother 3 outside of Japan, the supposed reasons are dumber than rocks.

Nintendo doesn't like to take risks on things that don't have mainstream support, it's as simple as that.
This is sadly so true. They love running off the hype of the niche fan communities for these things, but won't actually do the support. Even translating and porting over the original FE (finally) they did a pretty scummy job of handling.

But it bugs the crap out of me that there's still mountains of evidence for Geno plus all the weird PR stuff involving SMRPG over the past few years. You're going to tell me he was just flat out ignored? Maybe, but there MUST be something going on behind the scenes -- I totally agree with you.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Look at you now, picking fights with anyone who wants to just move on because you feel this need to defend Geno's honor.
To be fair to ForsakenM ForsakenM , they were replying to someone who (you could dub) has toxic pessimism. The two are on extremely different ends of speculation so they were bound to clash from the start. If you're gonna call out Foresaken, I think it's only fair you call out Serenade as well. But that's not to undermine your points/what you were saying, it's just something I wanted to point out.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Packs with at least two costumes from the same franchise: 7/7 (This one is particularly important because in 5 of the 7 cases of this, they are different Mii types)

Rankings:

1. Sword (4, tied in 2)
3. Gunner (2, tied in 1)

Notice how the Mii costumes tend to reflect the playstyle of their respective character pack. Terry and Min Min don't fight with weapons so most of their Mii costumes are Brawlers. Banjo uses Kazooie like a sword/club and a gun. Byleth is technically a sword user but the sword usually functions like a whip and they also use a long bow, lance, and axe. Joker, Hero, and Steve all use swords so it makes sense that a good chunk of their Mii costumes are sword users. This is even more distinctive when I do this:

Just for information's sake, let's throw in the number of genuinely new costumes, not hats, each pack has:

Note how "old" costumes only come together if they are distinctly a pair (from the same franchise).

I feel like this is enough information to start establishing predictions. By this simple analysis, we can reasonably predict certain things about Sephiroth:

-Since every pack except Hero has had at least one returning Smash 4 costume, at bare minimum we can expect 1 here.

-Square only comes with Square so far so one of them is pretty much guaranteed to be the Chocobo hat.

-At least half of Sephiroth's Mii costumes will probably be Swordfighters because, well, he's a swordfighter.

-By our analysis, it's reasonable to not only expect at least two swordfighters but swordfighters that are totally brand new.

-It's reasonable to expect that at least two Mii costumes (not hats) will specifically be from Final Fantasy.

So, with all this set up, here are the odds of Sephiroth having at least one of the following based on his fighting archetype as a swordfighter/weapon user like Joker, Hero, Banjo, Byleth, and Steve:

If we were to do this same analysis on "pure" swordusers (Joker and Hero), we get:

At least one:

More than one:

Sephiroth: Chocobo hat, two swordfighters, one gunner, one brawler (two of these costumes will specifically be from Final Fantasy or, much likely, another Square franchise)

Remember, the "old" requirement is already met so this hypothetical gunner doesn't have to be Geno and likely won't be. Based on "pairings" in the other packs, the most common pairs are:

Based on this, the Final Fantasy pair will most likely be Sword/Brawler followed by Sword/Sword based on typing. So, revisiting the earlier prediction, it looks like this:

Chocobo hat, Swordfighter (Final Fantasy), swordfighter (Final Fantasy/new), Brawler (Final Fantasy/new), gunner (new)

In conclusion, there are a good number of things in Geno's favor in this situation:

-He's not part of a pair

-Swordfighters tend to be heavily swordfighter focused with maybe 1 brawler and 1 gunner, rarely multiple.

-All gunners that haven't been part of a pair so far have been totally brand new (Sans, Cuphead, Fallout Boy) and from totally new companies to Smash.

-At least 3 of Sephiroth's 5 costume slots will very likely be filled by Final Fantasy.

Excellent analysis. It does seem a little more hopeful for next week

D

Deleted member

At this point I don't know if I'd prefer a Mii costume, "Deluxe" or not.
Same. I'd rather just not have him playable. And people call me entitled for it.

If you guys think this is being entitled.. let's give Sora a Mii costume then. Oh wait, what's that? Sora fans will send Sakurai death threats? Oh, too bad. Let's give Mii costumes to Dante, Phoenix Wright and any other popular rep.

They'll totally be fine with it, right guys? They definitely won't send Sakurai death threats.

Ask yourself this: "Do I want my most wanted to be a mii costume?"

If your answer is no, you have no right to **** on Geno fans for not wanting that. You're a hypocrite. But it's okay to hate on Geno fans because they're low hanging fruit.

The hypocrisy in the Smash community is outstanding.

I don't have to, that's the beauty of it. It all comes and goes, no matter how it may look right now. I too was in the "Revenge" camp once. not so anymore and it's better that way. :)
I guess two whole years of it doesn't mean much, then. I respect you for that, even if I'm giving up.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Geno's Mii could be absent again but a Nigerian Prince could also come to my house in a horse drawn carriage and give me a million bucks and make me the president of the Earth.

I just hope on the 17th, the kick to the face will be strong enough to crack open my skull.
Anything that doesn't kill just leaves us in more pain. Pray for death.

QQS

Smash Lord

Rankings:

1. Sword (4, tied in 2)
3. Gunner (2, tied in 1)

At least one:

More than one:

-He's not part of a pair

I love this guy

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Same. I'd rather just not have him playable. And people call me entitled for it.

If you guys think this is being entitled.. let's give Sora a Mii costume then. Oh wait, what's that? Sora fans will send Sakurai death threats? Oh, too bad. Let's give Mii costumes to Dante, Phoenix Wright and any other popular rep.

They'll totally be fine with it, right guys? They definitely won't send Sakurai death threats.

If your answer is no, you have no right to **** on Geno fans for not wanting that. You're a hypocrite. But it's okay to hate on Geno fans because they're low hanging fruit.

I guess two whole years of it doesn't mean much, then. I respect you for that, even if I'm giving up.
Dont give up your joy. Give up letting things keep you from it.

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Its clear to me this thread got Toxic real fast and people are attacking each other for no reason and hating on Nintendo. There are some people trying to salvage this thread, but I feel like there's no salvaging it for the next few days.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman

Rankings:

1. Sword (4, tied in 2)
3. Gunner (2, tied in 1)

At least one:

More than one:

-He's not part of a pair

Geno would fulfill the gunner, deluxe, other Square franchise, or returning costume criteria as well, though. And you could argue he's part of a pair with Chocobo because they came together in Smash 4. Just saying.

With or without Geno, it's incredibly likely we are getting Tifa (Brawler) and Barret (Gunner) costumes. They are so stupidly obvious, come from the same game as Seph (not even just series), will likely be Spirits (which means they can use the costumes in the battle), and I'm pretty confident they have been on lists before -- speculative or "leaked."

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Well, we’re in the endgame now. Come the 17th, this will go two ways for me. The dream will be dead with Geno’s mii costume, but if it miraculously doesn’t make an appearance despite all odds, I’ll take that as Geno being 100% in. Hoping for the worst to be honest. My only hope now is that Lloyd also doesn’t kick the bucket soon and instead becomes a playable fighter.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, this thread seems to be upset over a character, and with that, I think some of us are overreacting and getting mad at Nintendo just for something little as that character. It is just a game. Not the end of the world. We should not really be mad at Nintendo or Sakurai just because they did not give us what we wanted. We can't always get what we want. That does not mean they are bad people. Geno was rather obscure, and was in one game, among other reasons why did not get in, but we have had a powerful drive to support and care for Geno. Some of us are acting immature, no offense, and there is no crying over spilt milk, after. You can boycott Nintendo or Smash or send them angry letters, but in the end, this is not something to get worked up about.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Now for my thoughts. I know I'm going to sound like I'm on a high horse, and this post will come off as "holier than thou," BUT JEEZ PEOPLE, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!

I'm hoping the hysteria dies down soon, but ****. Some of you guys are going absolutely bananas. I don't even want to come back here after I make this post for a while because this **** is just depressing. Begging for death because Geno didn't get in? Wishing your skull would be cracked open? I'm sorry for whatever you're dealing with, but ****, this is Smash Brothers. This is a video game. This is not the end all-be all.

If you are really in a lot of anguish and you want someone to talk to, head into the DMs. Message somebody. People aren't heartless, they're willing to talk it out. But not in the public forum, c'mon. This completely soured discussion for me.

I don't mean to come off as heartless or cruel, but there are people who won't even get to spend the holiday season with their loved ones. Not due to COVID restrictions but because of the virus. People have lost jobs, their homes, and are wondering how they'll feed their families. Getting this upset over Geno being semi-deconfirmed is some of the most selfish and disgusting behavior I've seen all year. I'm absolutely sickened.

I have to work at a grocery store every day and risk contracting the virus just to pay off my student loan. I have to come home after my job and pray my sister doesn't catch the virus, because she is compromised and could die. And this is the worst of 2020 for some people, wising for death and cracked skulls? I'm just going to head out. You can feel free to respond and argue but I'm not replying. There's no justifying this behavior to me.

Colololin

Smash Cadet
Just wondering because there is something I am trying to make sense of here. It is very rare for Sakurai to outright acknowledge demand of characters but he not only acknowledged it but he also admitted he was a Geno supporter.

Geno's absence makes sense in the base game if they believe he will rake in additional cash on SE and Nintendo's end as a DLC add on so why would Square Enix not take notice of the additional royalties? In the instance he shows up as a Mii costume next week people need to seek clarity from Nintendo because I am actually thinking the issue may not come from their end. I could be wrong but if Square Enix allow him to be a costume, they are showing they know he makes money so the only thing I can think is Nintendo do not prioritise him.

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
Now for my thoughts. I know I'm going to sound like I'm on a high horse, and this post will come off as "holier than thou," BUT JEEZ PEOPLE, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!

I'm hoping the hysteria dies down soon, but *. Some of you guys are going absolutely bananas. I don't even want to come back here after I make this post for a while because this * is just depressing. Begging for death because Geno didn't get in? Wishing your skull would be cracked open? I'm sorry for whatever you're dealing with, but ****, this is Smash Brothers. This is a video game. This is not the end all-be all.

If you are really in a lot of anguish and you want someone to talk to, head into the DMs. Message somebody. People aren't heartless, they're willing to talk it out. But not in the public forum, c'mon. This completely soured discussion for me.

I don't mean to come off as heartless or cruel, but there are people who won't even get to spend the holiday season with their loved ones. Not due to COVID restrictions but because of the virus. People have lost jobs, their homes, and are wondering how they'll feed their families. Getting this upset over Geno being semi-deconfirmed is some of the most selfish and disgusting behavior I've seen all year. I'm absolutely sickened.

I have to work at a grocery store every day and risk contracting the virus just to pay off my student loan. I have to come home after my job and pray my sister doesn't catch the virus, because she is compromised and could die. And this is the worst of 2020 for some people, wising for death and cracked skulls? I'm just going to head out. You can feel free to respond and argue but I'm not replying. There's no justifying this behavior to me.
You, sir/mam/other pronoun are an amazing person.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I'm hoping the hysteria dies down soon, but *. Some of you guys are going absolutely bananas. I don't even want to come back here after I make this post for a while because this * is just depressing. Begging for death because Geno didn't get in? Wishing your skull would be cracked open? I'm sorry for whatever you're dealing with, but ****, this is Smash Brothers. This is a video game. This is not the end all-be all.

Well, I must say, something that was exactly what I was trying to tell people on the thread for being too positive, and I knew this would happen. I did not expect Sephiroth to come along, and that may have lead to different reasons for people being upset, so I don't think I saw some thing coming. Nevertheless, we should not get worked up about this.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Rankings:

1. Sword (4, tied in 2)
3. Gunner (2, tied in 1)

At least one:

More than one:

-He's not part of a pair

Following this analysis, I'd wager the potential Mii Costume Wave to consist of the following:
  • Tifa = Mii Brawler; Final Fantasy VII
  • Barrett = Mii Gunner; Final Fantasy VII
  • Chocobo Hat (returning costume)
  • Cecil (as Paladin or Dark Knight) = Mii Swordfighter; Final Fantasy IV
  • Either Crono (Chrono Trigger), or a Clavat (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles), or Duran (Trials of Mana) = Mii Swordfighter
Of course, those are possible Mii Costume options that could come up on this wave.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I forgot one thing; although I did try to suggest to people to keep their expectations in check, that only goes so far. I believe even if we did do that, it would not help completely. I guess that is human nature for us.

Anything that doesn't kill just leaves us in more pain. Pray for death.
If I died I wouldn't have bad things happen to me lol. God ain't letting that happen.

I'm hoping the hysteria dies down soon, but . Some of you guys are going absolutely bananas. I don't even want to come back here after I make this post for a while because this is just depressing. Begging for death because Geno didn't get in? Wishing your skull would be cracked open? I'm sorry for whatever you're dealing with, but **, this is Smash Brothers. This is a video game. This is not the end all-be all.

I don't have loved ones to spend this holiday with, my parents hate me and I have one friend offline. You think I'd care this much about a dumb video game if I had anything worthwhile outside of it in real life? Look it's not so much about Geno, it's just that it's yet another kick to the balls in my worthless existence. And I'm honestly not even mad. I was, but I've reached acceptance and realized I'm simply not supposed to be happy.

Last edited:

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet

People are upset, which is reasonable, but I've noticed out of every smash social media community, Smashboards seems to get the most toxic, well besides Twitter, but Twitter is always toxic so it does not count.

Geno is my most wanted, but last night I was screaming my head off because The TRAILER WAS FREAKING HYPE. We should not be attacking each other, Nintendo, or Sakauri for this decision. Yes Nintendo is anti-consumer and needs to learn. but that has nothing to do with the character chosen for smash.

Ok you want to threaten to delete your account or kill yourself cause a fictional character did not make it a video game, sure why not go ahead and fill the thread with toxicity. BUT DO NOT KILL YOURSELF, call 800-273-8255 if your threatening to kill yourself over Geno.

Geno is my most wanted character, K rool was always my first, then he got in, now its Geno. Im not bi***ing and moaning though, IM LOOKING ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF THINGS. Geno still has a chance, even if it just got slimmer than it ever was before, HE STILL HAS A CHANCE. And even if he does not get in this pass, be grateful we even got a second pass.

I hate how toxic Smashboards can be, but there is a lot of passionate people on here, and I salute those passionate people. Those people are why I return to Smashboards through the toxicity. The Geno thread usually is the least toxic thread( granted I only browse this thread lol) and I'm severely disappointed in this thread a lot...

Put yourself back together Geno believers, WE CAN DO THIS

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Following this analysis, I'd wager the potential Mii Costume Wave to consist of the following:
  • Tifa = Mii Brawler; Final Fantasy VII
  • Barrett = Mii Gunner; Final Fantasy VII
  • Chocobo Hat (returning costume)
  • Cecil (as Paladin or Dark Knight) = Mii Swordfighter; Final Fantasy IV
  • Either Crono (Chrono Trigger), or a Clavat (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles), or Duran (Trials of Mana) = Mii Swordfighter
Of course, those are possible Mii Costume options that could come up on this wave.
I think swap Cecil out for something generic like a Black, Red or White Mage, all Swordfighters as well.

Crono is possible (and so are the others) but I think they'll keep FF related and just do something like a Moogle hat or maybe even Aerith. I'm tempering my expectations for them to even flirt with the idea of bringing in other Square properties. They didn't for DQ, and they won't for this.

Last edited:

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
If I died I wouldn't have bad things happen to me lol. God ain't letting that happen.

I don't have loved ones to spend this holiday with, my parents hate me and I have one friend offline. You think I'd care this much about a dumb video game if I had anything worthwhile outside of it in real life? Look it's not so much about Geno, it's just that it's yet another kick to the balls in my worthless existence. And I'm honestly not even mad. I was, but I've reached acceptance and realized I'm simply not supposed to be happy.
If you ever have suicidal thoughts, just call 800-273-8255 or just talk with someone you care about/believes could care for you

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice

Rankings:

1. Sword (4, tied in 2)
3. Gunner (2, tied in 1)

At least one:

More than one:

-He's not part of a pair

I'm going to speculate that the costumes would be Chocobo Hat, Tifa (Brawler), Barret (Gunner), Zack (Swordfighter), and 2B (Swordsfighter) (I'm putting my chips on her because I feel it would be the Sakurai thing to do). However, I also feel instead of Zack, Crono would fit nicely.

These are pretty good options in my opinion.

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
No, the mods shouldn't lock this thread and keep it locked at the whims of someone having a bad day, just to make sure the rest of us who are still having general conversation no longer get the chance to do so. This is essentially going from Being Disappointed to Being Petty, and maybe it would be a good idea for certain parties to go have a walk-around and take some time away from what, I assume, is the place they least want to be involved with at the moment, based on how certain posts are coming across.

I don't think even a Lock for a Day is truly necessary; There are only a select few that are going above and beyond, the rest of us are keeping our attitudes and feelings in relative check.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman

Rankings:

1. Sword (4, tied in 2)
3. Gunner (2, tied in 1)

At least one:

More than one:

-He's not part of a pair

Just reminded me about Mii Costume leaker. Anyone have the list of what he leaked? Does any of that line up here??

MattX20

Smash Hero
A fact we have forgotten with all the Mii Costume talk: both waves for the previous 2 fighters so far have only come with one returning Mii Costume each. Given how there's only 4 costumes left and a hat, it's possible they're trying to space them out as much as possible. If it continues, we'll only see the Chocobo Hat return next week.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
My prediction for the 17th is Geno being confirmed as the big Mii costume of this pack (a la Sans/Cuphead/Vault Boy) along with a banging Beware the Mushrooms Forest remix and with a mask that makes the Mii's model a perfect Geno model. Sakurai will briefly acknowledge Geno's support but give a general excuse of why it couldn't happen ("We just thought other characters were more deserving", something along those lines).

To be honest, I'll be happy. Our cycle of hype/panic/hype will end and Geno and his epic theme song will be in someway in the game. I was really happy with the Sans/Megalovania addition even if it was with a Mii because you can't really tell it's a Mii (apart from the generic moveset, but it works for Sans), so I think Geno will work just fine.

D

Deleted member

Then lets try to help it by not making it any worse....shall we?
We may as well salt the earth on our way out.

Just wondering because there is something I am trying to make sense of here. It is very rare for Sakurai to outright acknowledge demand of characters but he not only acknowledged it but he also admitted he was a Geno supporter.

Geno's absence makes sense in the base game if they believe he will rake in additional cash on SE and Nintendo's end as a DLC add on so why would Square Enix not take notice of the additional royalties? In the instance he shows up as a Mii costume next week people need to seek clarity from Nintendo because I am actually thinking the issue may not come from their end. I could be wrong but if Square Enix allow him to be a costume, they are showing they know he makes money so the only thing I can think is Nintendo do not prioritise him.
I've said it before, but only characters that Sakurai says are outright impossible are the ones that make it in. I can't think of a single character Sakurai has said "wow this dude sure is ****ing neat" or "I tried hard to get this guy in the game" that has made it in. Sakurai doesn't want him, Nintendo doesn't want him, Square has no say in the matter.

You might have dipped out and that's fine, and I don't want to sound insensitive to this. Understand that's not my intention when I tell you that you're not living alone in the world having to deal with this pandemic. Most of us go to work or school nearly every day and risk contracting a virus that might not do anything to us or might just outright decide to blow our insides up, and for all the time that we might be contagious without knowing it, we're unknowingly spreading airborne death to someone who might have a higher percent likelihood of having the "instant death" symptoms rather than the mundane flu like ones.

I'm extremely afraid of getting sick, even to tame, well documented illnesses so let me let you in on the secret that my number 1 fear, even before that of something like nuclear ****ing war or giant asteroid, has been pandemic. Every day since late December/early January when it was first being reported on by fringe news outlets that a new virus had developed in China and was spreading fast, I've been living in absolute, inescapable fear. I have lost sleep worrying about my aging mom and other family members, I worry every day that I might end up bringing that **** home to my wife, I have not seen my few friends since March - you know, the usual that every responsible member of society has had to deal with. I'm living in what feels like a personally crafted hell and that's the most selfish thing I can say since I know that this is a very general hell that affects everyone. I'm sorry for those who have lost someone and I'm sorry for those who are pushed to the brink of madness that they might indirectly or directly cause someone else to lose someone. None of this is fun.

But likewise none of us are coming here to complain about Geno or Smash Bros like it's the be all, end all of the planet. It's a good problem to have in the light of everything else and as completely ****ty as it is to probably have my two decade long request be sacrificed at the altar of the one winged angel, it makes me happy to complain about it so that I don't have to think about the rest of the nightmare I'm living in.

You may remember a few days ago when I said that my posts keep the darkness away, and that's what I was talking about.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You all noticed that several people very publicly pushed the idea of a duel reveal and I'm wondering where the hell that came from? Push Dustin brought it up along with two reputable people I talk to so it's weird to me that something that extreme was entertained by people that never entertain those sorts of things. Kind of like the Geno incidents during the summer, insiders have openly mentioned that they try to not mess with the Smash fanbase just because of how bad we can typically be so it just leaves a lot of questions.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
The only bets I have regarding Mii Costumes are Tifa (brawler), Barret (gunner), Chocobo Hat, and Geno. I think we are only getting 4 costumes like Hero.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman

I felt the same with Bomberman last showcase and I got called out for it by someone who clearly wasn't a Bomberman fan telling me that it was a start to something bigger and not seeing it as such is selfish and entitled. This is a game where you have Sonic, Steve, Banjo-Kazooie, Simon, King K. Rool and especially Sephiroth of all characters fighting it out and I'm wrong because I don't accept a cosplay item as a good thing?

That's the point of Smash, to see your favorites fight each other. The Mii costumes to me seem to be the antithesis of Smash's initial pull to so many people.

Look at this shot. I was in the same position with K. Rool last game and now I look at this and see my Kremling King standing alongside Link, Mario and all the other big names in Nintendo. This is why the Mii costumes piss off so many people; it's more or less the character you want...but in a limited form. The new trailer added Banjo-Kazooie among the spectators, another form of validation in my eyes that they're big enough to stand with the greats according to Nintendo. If you aren't in that massive collage, or among the crowd of fighters in the WoL cutscenes, you may as well not be important.

And that is why this thread is in the state it's in right now. For a lot of people, this was Geno's last chance to get some sort of recognition, because Mario sure as hell wasn't bringing him back any time soon. Geno is more or less a retro icon, but one that has ties to Mario. He stands out not with just being an unconventional Mario rep, but a Mario rep that represents a part of the series that went untouched with Smash: The RPG's. SMRPG inspired Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi and were it not for SMRPG, Mario may not have spawned those two successors, both of which have gotten a lot of critical acclaim for trying new things with Mario's world the same way SMRPG did back then.

Geno was not on my lists, but I played SMRPG and saw my godbrother play it when I was four-five and newly released and after playing it as an adolescent, I understood why people liked him when he popped up in character lists frequently in Gamefaqs' SSBB forum. Now approaching 30, I've come to really acknowledge Geno's appeal and moreso the games I've played in the past more than ever. With this push for relevancy and what can make money or what's popular, a lot of those games I'm referencing aren't in the spotlight and aren't deemed important or were never acknowledged in the first place IE DKC barring the first game. Geno's not relevant in video gaming today but he still represents a piece of Mario history that paved the way for another part of Mario's catalog that's suffering the same fate as his game and himself.

Geno as a playable character in Smash represents that one piece of Mario that's near extinction that could reemerge from the mere presence of Geno alone as well as a long-time favorite finally getting his dues as well as showing that a game doesn't have to be a mainline title or the first title in a series to have a character represent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom