• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Had a friend of mine propose an interesting theory to me. They thought that Geno might’ve been turned into a bargaining chip by Square Enix, and that in order for Geno to be used in Smash Square would get more content in the game (In this case the “more content” would be Sephiroth and a load of other Final Fantasy stuff)

I thought this was an interesting theory, and it could honestly go both ways. On one hand, yeah that sounds like a total Square Enix move to use Geno to bargain like that. More Square content = more money too, so if there’s an opportunity to get two characters in the game as DLC why would they not take it?

On the other hand, maybe this thought didn’t cross Square Enix’s mind at all. Maybe they were content with not adding Geno to the game, and Nintendo didn’t fight them on it?

There’s really not a lot we have to go on right now, so this isn’t me claiming “Yeah my friend’s theory was right on the money and this is what’s happening”. But I do think we kinda live or die based on how the 17th plays out. Steel yourselves Genobros, there’s still more Smash to be seen.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I'm super excited to play as Sephiroth, and I kind of understand Sakurai more now when he said Fighter Pass 2 is meant to please the fans.

Sephiroth is a BIG name, but I never even entertained the idea of him being DLC for Ultimate, not this far in the game.

And even though I really want Waluigi as DLC more than Geno, I honestly will be extremely heartbroken for you guys, especially since other big requests have made it.
:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultcloud::ultbayonetta1: :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:

Because if Geno had one thing going for him, it's longevity. Support for Geno hasn't faltered or died since Melee.
And it's not like he was niche, especially not in the Smash scene.

So let's keep a cool head, and watch the upcoming Sephiroth presentation.
Because believe it or not, Geno's Mii costume not showing up is still a possibility.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Yeah so all in all, I feel nothing really. I don't really care about Sephiroth in the slightest, I just wanna see the costumes. I don't even feel any disappointment or anger like with Byleth, Joker, or Hero. I do wonder if the likes of Crash, Rayman, Doomguy, and others are still as likely as before. I feel bad for all of you but the ride hasn't ended yet.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I totally get it with the Deluxe Mii costume idea too. It barely feels like anything but a kick in the teeth in this situation. Even with a song or two.

Obviously that's not the intention behind 'em.

Also, to correct something; Square-Enix didn't put Sephiroth in. It's a silly notion this is some promotional scheme by them. Nintendo chose the character first and foremost. SE, having upcoming FFVIIr stuff, obviously, and easily, agreed. Of course you can expect possible new content(including some costumes or music) to use stuff from the remake. So it still exists, but to say SE is response for Sephiroth as a choice is misleading. It was always a Nintendo choice.

Once again, nobody should have to like the choice, etc. Also, I agree with others. People who don't see Geno as likely right now are being understandably realistic. I agree people should also wait it out for the week and see what happens. But this looks like a decent blow, so it's silly to blame 'em. Besides, we shouldn't be trying to push only one kind of opinion of the situation either way. That's a bit unfair, don't you think? Some will be pessimistic, optimistic, unrealistic, realistic. It's not a big deal either way~

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Had a friend of mine propose an interesting theory to me. They thought that Geno might’ve been turned into a bargaining chip by Square Enix, and that in order for Geno to be used in Smash Square would get more content in the game (In this case the “more content” would be Sephiroth and a load of other Final Fantasy stuff)

I thought this was an interesting theory, and it could honestly go both ways. On one hand, yeah that sounds like a total Square Enix move to use Geno to bargain like that. More Square content = more money too, so if there’s an opportunity to get two characters in the game as DLC why would they not take it?

On the other hand, maybe this thought didn’t cross Square Enix’s mind at all. Maybe they were content with not adding Geno to the game, and Nintendo didn’t fight them on it?

There’s really not a lot we have to go on right now, so this isn’t me claiming “Yeah my friend’s theory was right on the money and this is what’s happening”. But I do think we kinda live or die based on how the 17th plays out. Steel yourselves Genobros, there’s still more Smash to be seen.
Having Cloud return in base is a much bigger bargaining chip than Geno would be.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, it’s not the fact that Geno is possibly going to be a costume again that makes me disappointed, it’s the fact that they omitted it from Hero’s and then ****teased us for over a year making people think something was up. Yeah I know this is nothing new(Shadow, Isaac and Skull Kid), but it’s still unfortunate to see.
Nevertheless, if he doesn’t get in, then I’ll at least be glad we got the costume back and move on, hope at least Waluigi joins, and to hope for him coming back in future Mario games.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Having Cloud return in base is a much bigger bargaining chip than Geno would be.
Yeah for sure, but wouldn’t that be considered for Hero’s negotiations in Fighter Pass 1? If we’re talking Square content in Fighter Pass 2, then it’s possible they bargained for a little extra besides Sephiroth maybe?
I dunno, I get the skepticism though. I’m kinda just throwing some optimism at the wall and seeing what sticks

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Yeah, we liked when Geno got in as a costume in 4 too because it was the first acknowledgement of any kind that they actually knew of the demand to have him in the game.

Bringing back the costume with a different Square character would already be really frustrating, like yeah, we know you want Geno, but we decided to add a different Sqaure character instead, take the same consolation prize you got last time.

Bringing back the costume with a THIRD SQUARE CHARACTER is like, yeah, we know you want Geno, and despite already adding in second character that wasn't him, we got the chance to get another character and STILL didn't put Geno in the game, enjoy the costume again.

Giving him a DELUXE costume with the THIRD Square character just feels like, yeah, we know you REALLY want Geno, but too bad, we had two extra chances and still decided not to, heres a SLIGHTLY BETTER consolation prize, please accept we are never putting him in and shut up already.

Yeah I mean its not ideal I just think its likely what is about to happen. If we get past the Sephiroth Sakurai video without Geno I'll happily eat my words here but I do not think we will.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
I can only at best see them going for a Sora costume here if they wanted to even tie him in. Since Sora is connected enough to FF to justify it.

Doesn't mean they'd get him. He'd probably be too expensive anyway. And if the rumors are true, Sora never stood a chance either way.
I don't put my stock in rumors. Anyone can start a rumor regardless of actual credibility. Not to mention I think it's pretty clear at this point no one really knows what can and cannot happen with this game regarding really anything. The DLC for this game consistantly keeps ****ting on what people assume is fact or not based on wild theories with basically nothing to back anything up.

As for Sora you literally just debunked your own assumption based on your own follow up reasoning of money. Why in the **** would Nintendo pay for an as you stated an expensive ass character just to make them a glorified skin? Simple answer is that they wouldn't, also the level of expense for his character is yet another assumption based on something you DO NOT know is true or not. You THINK he would be an expensive character but you do not KNOW he is/would be. Also that whole argument is a hilariously ironic statement. Since we literally just had a character announced who I guarantee you was 1000% definitely not cheap for Nintendo to acquire. Or are we just gonna pretend like the copyright of SEPHIROTH! Isn't a lucrative one knowing that character's legacy, and whatbhe means to Square Enix.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Well I figured I'd pop in here, now that most likely Geno is not going to be a playable fighter, It's a bummer but its been a fun ride.

However he is very likely to be a Deluxe Mii Costume with a music track (maybe even two?) probably shown off in a week. Those even tend to get mini-reveal trailers so that's honestly exciting. One of those Deluxe Mii costumes is a lot more than many characters will likely get (I feel very bad for Sora fans as that dream seems truly dead now). Seeing a nice modern fully rendered Geno in smash will be cool, so lets try and be happy with getting that. Undertale fans loved when the Sans Mii got in smash, we can love Geno this way too if that is indeed his fate.
Well, the thing with Undertale fans is they didn't have high hopes for getting a playable character, so the Mii costume was honestly a lot more than we thought we'd get. The situation with Geno is very different. We had already seen Mii costumes from Smash 4 get upgraded and saw Ridley, Daisy, Simon, and Banjo as yet more huge fan requests making the cut. So it's understandable that Geno fans would feel heavily disappointed if Geno is relegated to a costume again. Undertale didn't have all this history to it. Even as someone who is fine with Geno getting costume'd if the tradeoff is Sephiroth, I can understand why there will be so much frustration here if Geno's costume returns, y'know?

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
To be honest, it’s not the fact that Geno is possibly going to be a costume again that makes me disappointed, it’s the fact that they omitted it from Hero’s and then ****teased us for over a year making people think something was up. Yeah I know this is nothing new(Shadow, Isaac and Skull Kid), but it’s still unfortunate to see.
Nevertheless, if he doesn’t get in, then I’ll at least be glad we got the costume back and move on, hope at least Waluigi joins, and to hope for him coming back in future Mario games.
I find that, with any character, people interpret Nintendo as "teasing" them simply by not deconfirming the character until a certain point. Not showing the character is not teasing them. It's not doing anything. People take it upon themselves to think that the character is in until proven out, which then colors the silence as if they were being lead on. But that's an inherently flawed approach, because as most characters don't get in, the lens should be they are out until proven in.

Then the silence, which is simply... neutral... would not be a hint, it would be what it is, an absence of information.

I don't think I can remember of a time Nintendo actually purposefully mislead fans into believing a character that didn't get included was going to be included. The fans take it upon themselves to connect any possible dot to create the outcome they want - working backwards from the conclusion of a certain character being in, and then reverse engineering often incidental events as clues to corroborate it. But that's not how it works in reality.

Look at Shadow and Isaac and Skull Kid and probably Geno. Was it Nintendo teasing the fans? Or was it the fans who saw what they wanted to see, driven not by a neutral or skeptical approach, but instead by the belief that the character was indeed included?

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
The fact that we are even talking about a side character stuck in legal hell from a single Mario RPG game in the mid 90s getting into Smash as playable is quite frankly insane, let alone the fact that he is seemingly one of the most popular picks for Ultimate. I'm incredibly proud of the community for staying strong through everything these past 15 years. The odds may favor us or they may not, but the fact that we are as big of a community as we are means a lot by itself imo. We've been through worse. Geno is a awesome character, and the last of the big 4 to get in, let's support him until the very end. We've already made it this far, right? What's one more week?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think the costume was absent with Hero because probably by that time they knew they were going to put Sephiroth in. Better to keep that presentation focused on DQ and have all Square stuff show up with a character that is made by SquareSoft.
Geno showed up with FF content last time so it’s likely he shows up this time around. Don’t know how stingy they’ll be with costumes this time though. I expect around 5-6 music tracks, pretty optimistic but I think Sephiroth is also in to “complete” FF content. We’ll probably get some FF costumes.
Anway, here’s my prediction for the Mii fighter costumes:

1. Barrett (Gunner)
2. Tifa (Brawler)
3. Aerith or Cid(Swordfighter)
4. Chocobo hat
5. Lloyd - because he’s an RPG character
6. Geno (Premium)

Replace Lloyd with Ninja if Square wants to keep it Square focused.

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
hey. ever since ultimate was first announced, the 2 main characters i felt like the game needed were banjo & geno. since then, i got banjo (my number 1 most wanted character ever). however, since learning more about mario rpg, geno fans, and how smash works as a mainstream video game title, over the years i came to realize that it just doesnt feel right for geno to return specifically through smash anymore. they need to bring him back in some other form, like a mario spinoff or another mario rpg where he and mallow return. smash just feels WAY to grand and special for a side character from a single game in 1996. so i dont feel sad that a character that i wanted for so long isnt in smash, because in my honest opinion, smash just isnt suited for a character like geno. I would freaking love to see him in some other mario game though. still, you guys had a great run, you never gave up and there's no need to feel ashamed of that just because you haven't succeeded. if you love a character that deeply, then your character doesnt need something like smash to be considered valid. sometimes your character just needs your heart :)

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Honestly just **** whoever is choosing the characters at this point: we have 3,000 ****ing pages at this point while the Sephiroth thread had 8... Jesus Christ lol.

However he is very likely to be a Deluxe Mii Costume with a music track (maybe even two?) probably shown off in a week. Those even tend to get mini-reveal trailers so that's honestly exciting. One of those Deluxe Mii costumes is a lot more than many characters will likely get (I feel very bad for Sora fans as that dream seems truly dead now). Seeing a nice modern fully rendered Geno in smash will be cool, so lets try and be happy with getting that. Undertale fans loved when the Sans Mii got in smash, we can love Geno this way too if that is indeed his fate.
I will swallow your tears when he is not even a Deluxe costume. :lick:

novazvezda

Smash Cadet
Nintendo always blindsides us. They did it with Min Min and Steve and they did it again.

Pre Game Awards - We thought of Jonesy, Doom Guy, Geno, Crash Bandicoot, Ryu Hayabusa. They all had some serious backing to them.
Actual Game Awards - Nintendo: You fools forgot the most obvious character. Sephiroth, take it or leave it.
Pretty much everybody - dies

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
if you believe that whole Imran Khan quote technically Sora and Sephiroth were picked over Geno.
Sounds like it’s possible that talks for Sora failed and Sephiroth was picked as runner up. Which leads me to believe that Disney was 100% the reason why it hasn’t come into fruition considering Seph is still a Nomura character.
Wait, which Imran quote?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I think the costume was absent with Hero because probably by that time they knew they were going to put Sephiroth in. Better to keep that presentation focused on DQ and have all Square stuff show up with a character that is made by SquareSoft.
Geno showed up with FF content last time so it’s likely he shows up this time around. Don’t know how stingy they’ll be with costumes this time though. I expect around 5-6 music tracks, pretty optimistic but I think Sephiroth is also in to “complete” FF content. We’ll probably get some FF costumes.
Anway, here’s my prediction for the Mii fighter costumes:

1. Barrett (Gunner)
2. Tifa (Brawler)
3. Aerith or Cid(Swordfighter)
4. Chocobo hat
5. Lloyd - because he’s an RPG character
6. Geno (Premium)

Replace Lloyd with Ninja if Square wants to keep it Square focused.
I could see that list coming, but there is one thing to consider with this Pass. Only one old Mii Costume has returned in each round.

Heihachi with Min Min and Gil with Steve.

I do not think 2 let alone 3 old Mii Costumes would return at once. However this is Square Enix we are talking about...I guess we will see.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I could see that list coming, but there is one thing to consider with this Pass. Only one old Mii Costume has returned in each round.

I do not think 2 let alone 3 old Mii Costumes would return at once. However this is Square Enix we are talking about...I guess we will see.
It's probably best to not look too far into patterns in this case. Otherwise we're talking about scrapped costumes, including the idea that a character isn't in among those.

Not saying this is a bad point, but it's a little flawed. Let's remember that a costume coming back itself means more sales. If one isn't coming back, it means that the sales are not financially worth it for Nintendo and the IP owner. It's not entirely related to the character getting in, basically. It's a separate sale they need to consider. Of course, if say, Geno gets in, the costume may not feel worth it. Especially if they have to update its model. That's extra time spent. Think of it as this; does the benefit outweigh the cost? Yes. Then it'd come back regardless of playable. No? Then it could go either way for being back.

Obviously I do think Geno's costume is coming back if he's not outright playable(and I don't consider him dead yet, but I do think he's in a bad position).

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Man, this 2nd pass so far just reeks of Nintendo's meddling. FP1 had the feeling Sakurai had at least some control over what characters were chosen but I don't feel this way with this second pass at all. It honestly makes me fear that Crash, Rayman, and other characters I want will not get in. I bought this pass because Steve looked fun and I like Minecraft but maybe I should've waited.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

I forgot about that.
In that case, I think it’ll just be Geno and Chocobo as returning costumes. Lloyd will come with someone else.
If they want to fill up the six spots, a Ninja brawler costume would work great.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
hey. ever since ultimate was first announced, the 2 main characters i felt like the game needed were banjo & geno. since then, i got banjo (my number 1 most wanted character ever). however, since learning more about mario rpg, geno fans, and how smash works as a mainstream video game title, over the years i came to realize that it just doesnt feel right for geno to return specifically through smash anymore. they need to bring him back in some other form, like a mario spinoff or another mario rpg where he and mallow return. smash just feels WAY to grand and special for a side character from a single game in 1996. so i dont feel sad that a character that i wanted for so long isnt in smash, because in my honest opinion, smash just isnt suited for a character like geno. I would freaking love to see him in some other mario game though. still, you guys had a great run, you never gave up and there's no need to feel ashamed of that just because you haven't succeeded. if you love a character that deeply, then your character doesnt need something like smash to be considered valid. sometimes your character just needs your heart :)
I respectfully disagree. Maybe I'd agree if the roster felt more exclusive, but we've got a side character from a mid 90s game: :ultjigglypuff:. We've also got characters from games that are probably more obscure than SMRPG. Idk, I'm only 30 but I don't remember anyone I know, including my family who are 20+ years my senior, having Game and Watches. And even if they did, they wouldn't have been likely to be into gaming at the time Melee came out. So :ultgnw: has always felt like an odd addition to me for that reason. :ulticeclimbers: are from a pretty obscure NES game that I've heard isn't all that good. Idk that the original Kid Icarus was that widely-acclaimed; :ultpit: kinda seems like an obscure addition when you take into account he got added well before Sakurai's fantastic reboot of KI came out. While he did help save Nintendo from the gaming crash of the 80s, :ultrob: is nonetheless not even a character but is instead a peripheral. :ultdoc:'s something of a weird addition, too. Really, another Mario? Mario changing his outfit changes his moveset?? I mean no offense to fans of these characters. I just think Geno doesn't seem like such an obscure addition when we have picks such as these.

Edit: But, thanks for the well wishes! I wish you well too

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ok, let's ponder a bit on what we could expect for Thursday's Sephiroth showcase. The series crossover screen of "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Final Fantasy", and the series in which Sephiroth is displayed on the official Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website (which is Final Fantasy VII) open up two possible scenarios of additional content within CP 8 and its associated Mii Costume Wave.

Mii Costumes

A. If strictly Final Fantasy VII only

• Tifa = Mii Brawler
  • Barret = Mii Gunner
  • Shinra Security Soldier = Mii Gunner
  • Reno = Mii Swordfighter
  • Chocobo Hat
  • Aerith = Mii Swordfighter
B. If open to other Final Fantasy games
  • Tifa (FF VII) = Mii Brawler
  • Cecil Harvey (FF IV) = Mii Swordfigher
  • Squall (FF VIII) = Mii Swordfighter
  • Chocobo Hat
  • Moogle Hat (or Moogle Hat & Costume set)
  • Terra (FF VI) = Mii Swordfighter
C. If a combination of Square Enix IPs
  • Tifa (FF VII) = Mii Brawler
  • Barret (FF VII) = Mii Gunner
  • Chocobo Hat
  • Geno (SMRPG) = Mii Gunner (hopefully Premium costume with a bonus track)
  • Crono (Chrono Trigger) = Mii Swordfighter
  • Maxim (Lufia II) = Mii Swordfighter (one can dream)
These of course are possible scenarios and as for the possible Mii Costumes under each, they may vary. Those were just some examples. Now, in regards to the music selection, here's where the series representation gets interesting. So far, the apparent pattern of Square Enix's music in Smash has been of two tracks per series (or games in the case of Hero). Here are some possible scenarios in regards to the music CP 8 could bring.

Music

A. If strictly from Final Fantasy VII only

• One Winged Angel
  • Another popular FF VII theme
B. If open to other Final Fantasy games

Here's where it gets interesting. So far, all of Mr. Sakurai Presents DLC character showcases have had a section for the music each Challenger Pack brings. It would be rather unnecessary if for Sephiroth's showcase, Sakurai would only mention the addition of two new tracks with CP 8. It would be best to include more tracks, and one possible way Nintendo/Sakurai and Square Enix might have negotiated more than two tracks could be if they add music from other Final Fantasy games. Ah, now this sounds much better, and if they were to have negotiated to tracks for say, all main line Final Fantasy games, or at least those that have been on Nintendo systems, we've got: FF I, II, III, IV, V, VI (localized as III for the SNES), VII, VIII, IX, X, X-II, XII, Crystal Chronicles (CC), CC: Ring of Fates, CC: The Crystal Bearers, Tactics. Whoa, that's quite a lot of FF games. With those mentioned alone, two tracks each, that could bring up the music total to 32. However, they could just select the games that have had more history on Nintendo systems, or they could break from the pattern and actually add more FF VII tracks.

Lastly, there's the matter of Cloud's Final Smash seen in the Sephiroth reveal trailer. Omnislash Ver. 5? Uh, that's a new Final Smash... for Cloud. This is still a variable that most likely Sakurai might go over during next week's presentation. It could simply be an alternate version of Cloud's Final Smash when facing Sephiroth 1 v 1 or, perhaps a hint of new changes coming on the Ver. 10.0 Update; customizable Final Smashes?👀 Mmm... no that would be a bit too much. Sakurai will enlighten us on this hopefully.

Lastly, Genobros, despite today's reveal, don't yield just yet. Fighters Pass Vol. 2 is not over yet. Regardless of what the future holds, let's just remember to enjoy this masterpiece of a game, and always continue being ourselves.:ultbanjokazooie:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Man, this 2nd pass so far just reeks of Nintendo's meddling. FP1 had the feeling Sakurai had at least some control over what characters were chosen but I don't feel this way with this second pass at all. It honestly makes me fear that Crash, Rayman, and other characters I want will not get in. I bought this pass because Steve looked fun and I like Minecraft but maybe I should've waited.
Nintendo chose everyone but PP, to be fair, so.

But I do agree that many choices are marketing base. I don't mean "the product is in use, so it's not hard to advertise" but moreso what people call a shill pick to some degree. ARMS is the only one that was clearly not advertising a newer product in the second pass. Minecraft had new stuff like Dungeons. FFVIIr is out, but they're still working on the same part, so. Otherwise, Joker did somewhat advertise some new Persona stuff, Hero clearly had Dragon Quest XI, Byleth was out near enough for Three Houses(though was more helping promote the DLC timing-wise). Terry kind of advertised a lot more ports. Banjo & Kazooie isn't a straight one, but there was definitely a bit of Microsoft advertisement there, via the presentation. Min Min was done the opposite, with the games being advertised to reget them in people's eyes to help push her. The rest not so much.

Among those all, I'd only really call Byleth a clear shill pick. Steve had the gaming icon excuse, but the rest, not the same way. Joker is more relevancy than anything else. You got your fan picks too, etc.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
It's not a matter of hope but rather grit. It's being in this fanbase long enough that all four tires blowing out at the finish line is expected but... Guess what? This isn't the finish line. People rolled around in despair when Geno was a spirit but then "oh, wait, this actually isn't so bad" and then people rolled around in despair leading up to Hero's presentation and "oh, wait, the Geno costume isn't here..." That's it. It's not calling things too early and accepting the L when the L actually arrives. Wait until the 18tn or whenever then make a judgement.
At this point, I'm thoroughly convinced that if the Mii Costume does return, you're going to start claiming it's not disconfirmation and that Geno is still 150% guaranteed.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo chose everyone but PP, to be fair, so.

But I do agree that many choices are marketing base. I don't mean "the product is in use, so it's not hard to advertise" but moreso what people call a shill pick to some degree. ARMS is the only one that was clearly not advertising a newer product in the second pass. Minecraft had new stuff like Dungeons. FFVIIr is out, but they're still working on the same part, so. Otherwise, Joker did somewhat advertise some new Persona stuff, Hero clearly had Dragon Quest XI, Byleth was out near enough for Three Houses(though was more helping promote the DLC timing-wise). Terry kind of advertised a lot more ports. Banjo & Kazooie isn't a straight one, but there was definitely a bit of Microsoft advertisement there, via the presentation. Min Min was done the opposite, with the games being advertised to reget them in people's eyes to help push her. The rest not so much.

Among those all, I'd only really call Byleth a clear shill pick. Steve had the gaming icon excuse, but the rest, not the same way. Joker is more relevancy than anything else. You got your fan picks too, etc.
There's bias to what I say of course but even so, it's just this feeling that I have. I'm worried if my personal favorite picks will even have a chance at this point. I at least got Ridley and Banjo, and I like characters like K Rool but I still would really want a FP2 character that really makes me happy to see it's face.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
I don't think what I'm about to say is likely, but I could see a scenario where Geno still becomes a character this pass. This goes off the assumption that Steve and Sephiroth were supposed to be revealed at E3, which is honestly something I don't really believe but let's go with it for this scenario.

If both Steve and Sephiroth were supposed to be E3 reveals, Steve would have come out in the summer and Sephiroth most likely around September. There's a good chance that Fighter #9 would have been revealed around December/January. This year was a celebration of Mario's 35th anniversary with announcements and events throughout the last half of 2020. The celebration was probably supposed to end in December, but is now moving into the beginning of 2021 with Mario 3D World releasing in February as evidence.

My thought is that part of the celebration was going to be adding a Mario character to Smash, probably as the final character of 2020 and probably it being Geno or Waluigi. Based on upcoming release dates for Nintendo games that we know about, it seems like Nintendo news will pick back around February and March, maybe even with a Direct. And going off the release dates for the Banjo, Terry, and Byleth amiibo, Fighter #9 should be coming out around March. Especially with there being rumors of a potential SMRPG sequel/remake which probably would have been announced this year as part of the Mario 35th anniversary celebration, I could see the scenario being that Geno is Fighter #9 and will be announced in March alongside the SMRPG sequel/remake in a Nintendo Direct.

Again, I don't think this scenario is likely. Geno is probably a Mii costume, and if we're lucky, it'll be a deluxe costume with at least 1 music track. However, if Geno's costume stays MIA after Sephiroth's presentation, then I'm going to be looking pretty hard at Fighter #9.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, just want to say this guys...

I know some people in the thread think I'm a concern troll or whatever but... I'm not. (I hate that term.)

I know this is rough. And I know it feels like people are laughing at you and that the thing you wanted isn't gonna happen.

I know that feeling. I was a member of the Smash 4 Ridley thread. Trust me, it was bad. Still, I just want to say it'll get better.

That day might not be now or for a while, but you're not going to feel angry or hurt forever. Best thing you can do is hold your head up high and try to do the right thing.

Find something fun to do in the mean time. It'll help more than you think.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
It's not a matter of hope but rather grit. It's being in this fanbase long enough that all four tires blowing out at the finish line is expected but... Guess what? This isn't the finish line. People rolled around in despair when Geno was a spirit but then "oh, wait, this actually isn't so bad" and then people rolled around in despair leading up to Hero's presentation and "oh, wait, the Geno costume isn't here..." That's it. It's not calling things too early and accepting the L when the L actually arrives. Wait until the 18tn or whenever then make a judgement.
I feel like another DLC pass would be the only saving grace atm. Even no Geno costume would still be really bad if FP2 was the end.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's bias to what I say of course but even so, it's just this feeling that I have. I'm worried if my personal favorite picks will even have a chance at this point. I at least got Ridley and Banjo, and I like characters like K Rool but I still would really want a FP2 character that really makes me happy to see it's face.
Nah, I get ya. It times it feels weird. The way Pass 1 went Sakurai seemed quite enthusiastic. Pass 2 hasn't gotten very far in, though he was pretty thrilled during Min Min's, and he was a bit more tired during Steve's. But you know, stuck at home, you tend to get a bit stressed.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Nah, I get ya. It times it feels weird. The way Pass 1 went Sakurai seemed quite enthusiastic. Pass 2 hasn't gotten very far in, though he was pretty thrilled during Min Min's, and he was a bit more tired during Steve's. But you know, stuck at home, you tend to get a bit stressed.
TBH only way I see Sakurai doing a Fighter's Pass 3 is if he's allowed back in the office to interact with his coworkers. If he has to do it from home, I don't think he'd do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom