• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
When would they reveal the character? In the beginning, middle, or end? 🤔
I figure it'll almost definitely be in the end - it gives people a reason to stick around for the entire show, while if they revealed it at the beginning, plenty of people who are just there for the Smash reveal would stop watching after the trailer.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Yeah I'm really not sure where this idea of "it's the game awards so it has to be some kind of earthshattering reveal" came from. Before Joker was announced people thought Ryu Hayabusa was gonna be the first DLC shown at the 2018 Game Awards and he's arguably even more of a nobody than a Persona protag.
Joker and Ryu Hayabusa are both extremely popular characters. Geno's got a great shot, but let's not kid ourselves. Calling the main character of Ninja Gaiden a nobody and then promoting Geno is not a good look.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At this point, all we can do now is wait until the reveal drops. Our speculation can either bring some results or we wait longer. That's all there is to it for FP8 now.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd wager that Smash wouldn't be the capper. There's already the crazy rumor of P.T. being revived and announced here. If that's true? That's Geoffs closer. That's gonna make a large chunk of people stick around.

Smash is probably middle of the pack or towards the end, but not the final announcement.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'd wager that Smash wouldn't be the capper. There's already the crazy rumor of P.T. being revived and announced here. If that's true? That's Geoffs closer. That's gonna make a large chunk of people stick around.

Smash is probably middle of the pack or towards the end, but not the final announcement.
For some reason P.T. doesn't remind me of anything. What franchise are you talking about?

Edit: Wait, I just googled it. Silent Hill?

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I had to run to work for a bit this morning so I couldn't yell in excitement, but now I'm free, there are no strings on me.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Ohhhh I figured the Game Awards would be the place for a Smash thing but hohohohohooooooooooooo it's SOO GOOD to get it confirmed!

My character bets:

1. Ryu Hayabusa, especially if that Ninja Gaiden Trilogy is real (and perhaps revealed at The Game Awards). Hayabusa is secretly my top bet. (I'd love it, because TECHNICALLY that would mean that Dead or Alive is repped in Smash)

2. MAYBE Doomguy? I had thought that interview was pretty cut and dry, and with Vault Boy's Mii costume apparently not part of his set if he is in, I was lead to believe he wasn't in but... I would LOVE to be wrong.

3. Geno. The Blue Gangsta himself. Basically just because "The List".

WILD CARD: JONESY (just because)

In ANY CASE, one thing is certain, we're getting SUPER SMASH BROS news tonight! I've got my snacks and drinks. DORITOS, because of the Dorito Pope, and some root beer. Mug, with the Akira Toriyama lookin bulldog on it. I am NOT drinking any Mountain Dew. Might make some poop corn too.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
For some reason P.T. doesn't remind me of anything. What franchise are you talking about?

Edit: Wait, I just googled it. Silent Hill?
Correct. The cancelled Kojima/Norman Reedus/Del Toro Silent Hill game.

Considering Geoff's close connection to Kojima if it's true? That's what will close the night.

LunarisDreams

Smash Cadet
Good luck my fellow genobros and genogals. Here’s hoping that we can finally get our boy tonight.
What a Christmas gift Geno would be...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I doubt any assist trophy will turn playable in this game
I would have asked for Isaac, Bombermam, Sukapon but I lost hope and mii costume is the best option left
If the Spirit barrier can die than so can the Assist Trophy barrier. I pretty sure we will get at least one Assist Trophy promotion in Ultimate before it's over just like how we got a Spirit promotion within Min Min.

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
My heart is expecting Geno, but my head is expecting Crash. Crash just makes the most sense. But considering how many people are expecting Geno and acknowledging how high his chances are, I'm not gonna rule our boy out; at this point, he's worthy of being a Game Awards reveal.

But if it's Jonsey, I'll be losing a lot of respect in Nintendo, assuming it was their choice and not Sakurai's. A mii costume is fine, but a playable character? Just no. A buyable skin is fitting enough for a game that makes all its money off buyable skins.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I'm gonna be a NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD and leave this here too

Now, apparently Netflix deleted the Tweet announcing it... perhaps it's one of the Game Awards announcements and they tweeted it too early? I'd LOVE some Sonic news, especially since SXSW Sonic panel was cancelled earlier this year.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I think it’s funny that people are saying it can’t be Geno because he’s not mainstream enough when Joker was the last VGA reveal. Persona is popular but not that mainstream and is pretty niche when compared to something like uhhh idk the Mario series? Like really would it be that out there on the VGAs coinciding with a big Mario anniversary to be a Banjo tier fan favorite and long awaited Mario character? Like it’s wild to me that people are outright forgetting this and just assuming it’s going to be a Fortnite character or whatever. It really could be anyone buuuuut:

1. Insiders teasing Geno this summer
2. Cacomallow still hasn’t been deconfirmed
3. Mario anniversary announcements keep dropping
4. The weird GameStop video that made it sound like Geno was in

And to get even more tinfoil:
2 Game Awards ago a question on a Nintendo sponsored HQ Trivia game was specifically about Geno.

Yeah the Mushroom tournament may have been a big coincidence but come on a fan favorite Mario character announcement at the Game Awards isn’t that big of a stretch at all lol
Smash Fandom last year: "Guys, KOS-MOS is a lock for VGAs. She's practically confirmed to be revealed there at this point. People may not know who she is, but Nintendo won't care."
Smash Fandom this year: "Geno is too obscure for the VGAs. To appeal to a wider audience, Nintendo is gonna reveal an unholy combination of Doomguy, Jonesy and Crash all in one character."
If you had to ask me, if Nintendo really cared about reaching a mainstream audience, they'd have saved Steve for this and just made our asses wait (this is Nintendo, they love doing that sorta thing). Not to mention, Joker was still rather niche. I think people are just conflating "modern" and "mainstream" a bit too much.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Smash Fandom last year: "Guys, KOS-MOS is a lock for VGAs. She's practically confirmed to be revealed there at this point. People may not know who she is, but Nintendo won't care."
Smash Fandom this year: "Geno is too obscure for the VGAs, to appeal to a wider audience, Nintendo is gonna reveal an unholy combination of Doomguy, Jonesy and Crash all in one character."
If you had to ask me, if Nintendo really cared about reaching a mainstream audience, they'd have saved Steve for this and just made our asses wait (this is Nintendo, they love doing that sorta thing). Not to mention, Joker was still rather niche. I think people are just conflating "modern" and "mainstream" a bit too much.
Yep, that's definitely what happens quite often

OffBi

Smash Ace
Smash Fandom this year: "Geno is too obscure for the VGAs, to appeal to a wider audience, Nintendo is gonna reveal an unholy combination of Doomguy, Jonesy and Crash all in one character."
bro, you can't just kill them like that
EouoF8JWMAEjqPM.jpg

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Although.......why didn't they just wait two more months and showcase Steve at the VGAs? Wouldn't that make much more sense?
Because I doubt Nintendo thinks that deeply in regards to the "where"
Revealing a character popular in Japan and a character whose hay day was in the 90s at E3? Sure why not.
Revealing a longtime fan request in an average Smash direct? Okie dokie.
Revealing a character who literally crashed Twitter in an every day Smash presentation? Yup, okay.

My point is to not overthink this sorta stuff, Nintendo does whatever the hell they want.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think it's going to be a good pick, all things considered:

-They were supposed to be an E3 reveal. E3 picks almost always go over really well and are crowd pleasers (even the controversial ones like Miis).

-Stupid high chance its third party. If Nintendo thought it would go over poorly, I don't think they would have signed off on such a huge event because that would sour relations for obvious reasons.

-Like I said earlier, it's mid pass and even with Smash 4 they had the highlights in the middle (Ryu and Cloud). Usually the "low notes" are near or at the end.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
OffBi OffBi Reached out to Practical Brush and I was given permission to share this:

View attachment 294868
Is he just saying “I’ve got nothing on this reveal”, period? Or is he saying “I have a possibility as to what I think it is, but I’ve got nothing if it isn’t what I think it might be?” It looks more like he’s saying the latter, but I don’t want to misread into this either way if I’m looking at it wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom