• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MexoKatonSB

Smash Cadet
i guess the thing i'm expecting to not expect is a double reveal

like. i know it wouldn't happen. no way geoff got TWO characters to reveal there

but like....what if geno and doomguy? doomguy cause of dooms anniversary, Geno cause of everything leading up to this point

again, most likely not going to happen, but i think it'd be wild if something like that happened.
-insert thinking pose here-

Griselda

Smash Lord
I just want Geno's status to be confirmed by the end of the year - doesn't matter if he won't be released for several months after the reveal, because then I'd know he was coming. And if he's absolutely not coming, then just go ahead and tell me - Geno's a pretty popular character when it comes to Smash, and they're confirmed to be aware of his fan demand. He's one of the last big old requests, so to have him just up in the air for so long is weird.

It doesn't take much effort to just make a tweet or something and say "We are aware of Geno's popularity, but unfortunately we were only able to give you the spirit/Geno's costume will be returning at this date for this price". It's a different story if you've got something you know a fanbase will be happy about and be willing to spend a lot on because they like it, so holding onto his reveal if he's in is okay. But if he's not in and you, as the developers of the game, know he's not in, why keep that hanging in the air for so long? And we've actually seen Nintendo try and keep people's Smash expectations down before with that 'No information about new fighters will be revealed' message they had on one of the Sakurai presents videos (was it Terry's?), so it's been done before.

It's the same thing as with Shadow and Isaac, honestly. Did they really think that waiting until the very end to confirm that popular characters weren't going to be coming was going to make people happy? I'm not attacking them or anything, I'm just wondering what exactly their thought process was on that in particular. They had the ballot results, so it's not as if they didn't know people wanted those characters.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think people are forgetting something about the upcoming Mario 35th Challenge Cup this Saturday. Recall how it was announced months in advance back in September and hyped this well in advance. Why hype a tournament like this months in advance unless they had some big plans for it both before and after it concludes? To me, that's why it's something we do need to pay attention as it very well could lead to FP8's reveal and or potential release by year's end. It's also why I'm basically skipping the VGAs.

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
Just watched papagenos papagenos latest two videos. I totally forgot about the two SMRPG tracks being pulled off YouTube by Nintendo and not Square. That is such a red flag to me that something is up. Moreso than so many other pieces of “evidence.” Especially when combined with the pattern of Square only giving Nintendo two tracks with a character.

I know everyone hates Nintendo for cracking down on things. But they only do it if they feel like it hurts revenue in a way. It’s not random. The Slippi crackdown was to get people back to Ultimate. The Joycon thing obviously to take away a competitor.

This music thing to me says at LEAST deluxe Mii, but likely more.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just watched papagenos papagenos latest two videos. I totally forgot about the two SMRPG tracks being pulled off YouTube by Nintendo and not Square. That is such a red flag to me that something is up. Moreso than so many other pieces of “evidence.” Especially when combined with the pattern of Square only giving Nintendo two tracks with a character.

I know everyone hates Nintendo for cracking down on things. But they only do it if they feel like it hurts revenue in a way. It’s not random. The Slippi crackdown was to get people back to Ultimate. The Joycon thing obviously to take away a competitor.

The last "deluxe" Mii Costumes didn't come with any music tracks. Cuphead was the last one to do so and that was bordering on almost a year ago at this point. It's more likely Geno's a full blown fighter at this point when you consider how strict CERO is regarding content like how Mai Shiranui was too much for an E10+ rating and they would take similar issues with 2B and she's arguably Geno's only true Square owned competition left. Crono sadly hasn't had anything beyond ports in recent years and Lara Croft's last couple of games weren't big sellers despite being a legacy character herself.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It doesn't take much effort to just make a tweet or something and say "We are aware of Geno's popularity, but unfortunately we were only able to give you the spirit/Geno's costume will be returning at this date for this price".
They didnt do that for travis, why would they do that for geno

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

The Joycon thing was about trademarks. They have to take down anything that directly hurts their trademarks/infringes on them, or they cannot take down anything of the same IP later. If they didn't take down the Joycon thing now, then anyone could make it and they wouldn't have a case to be made for any copycat. It's an all or nothing rule.

More also came up about it. Long story short, only like 15 dollars out of 65 went to charity. In addition, the person wouldn't even give a single dime to Etika's family. So basically Nintendo has a reason because of how the law works(if they don't do it, they're screwed over), while the other guys was actually making money off of their own IP just to pocket, not literally "just for charity". It also had zip to do with competition anyway. That would fall under a copyright claim, to note. It was 100% trademark related.

https://twitter.com/Clowfoe/status/1336727008777302016 Warning it has a bit of uncensored swearing in it.

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Coming out of the woodwork again to throw out some speculation.

January-December 2021 is 12 months, which easily sets it up so all 4 characters can be released with a comfortable 3 month gap -- so long as CP8 is revealed in January.

If Nintendo gets back on track for 2021, there is a chance we'll get an infodump in January that includes the next character + whatever plans they have for the 1st quarter. January Directs are a thing and it was a January Direct that first unveiled Smash Ultimate (untitled at the time). A lot of games are being released by March 31st, which has people speculating there is either something big after that date or that was as far out as they had planned before showing the rest of their cards. This also lines up well for when CP9 would be revealed in this hypothetical timeline. However, there's precedent for 2 reveals at E3 instead, then going back on track for the Fall and Winter 2021.

Also, bringing it back to the current day, they still haven't had their usual December holiday sale. They aren't the type to reveal stuff in December, but it's not unheard of and I wouldn't be shocked if we were still getting NSO games this month + a surprise smaller title to coincide with the (very likely) sale we would be getting.

Anyway, this is what I expect the rest of this month and next year will look like:

• December: Post VGAs, Nintendo announces a Holiday sale. They reveal the last NSO games for the year and maybe a surprise, smaller title (like Part Time UFO caliber, nothing crazy)
  • January: Surprise Direct with a 48hr heads up or whatever. Outlines all the games that will be coming out up until March, including several titles we already know about. Includes a tease of CP8 and tells us to tune into a Sakurai Presents. This could also be a full-blown trailer and reveal, but I think they like the mystery and forcing people to tune into Sakurai's videos to see who it is. We may also get more info on what's going on with Zelda.
  • Feb-March: CP8 will definitely be playable by the end of this window. There's a slight chance we get a reveal of the Switch Pro somewhere in here, as some speculate it is the reason games are being held off until the end of March. Switch released in March, so the updated console in March isn't that weird. I can see them waiting until closer to June and E3 too, however. March 10th is Mario Day, btw, so it would be a good way to end off Mario's 35th by doing something around that time that is Mario related, like maybe an update for the All Stars Collection or a NSO game or something. Oh, and Zelda's 35th is in February, so I could see a Zelda themed direct similar to the Mario one, with a reveal of the Zelda 35th Collection. It will both excite and disappoint, as it would include the original emulated OoT, Majora, WW, and Twilight Princess without any of the bells and whistles their remakes got. They'll make some weird claim that the NES games, LttP, and Awakening are already on the Switch so they aren't part of the collection. They will totally ignore the GBA and DS games. Skyward Sword HD and maybe a rerelease of the 3DS Four Swords they launched for a previous anniversary will also be sold separately because Nintendo hates you. All the Zelda news could also take place in January as part of the general direct too, however, because you can never predict Nintendo. Very likely we get the rumored Diamond/Pearl Pokemon remakes announced in this window too as Pokemon Day is Feb 27th. Basically, these two months look packed to the gills if Nintendo doesn't just give up again.
  • Apr-June: Another drought. They will save CP9 for E3. Big reveal at E3 of CP9 and CP10, similar to Hero and Banjo. E3 will be back in a big way next year, for sure, and big companies like Sony will agree to come back to help it make a triumphant return after missing 2020. The 2 reveals will be Nintendo's contribution plus a blowout on BOTW2. I even think Bayo 3 and Prime 4 might show up.
  • July-September: CP9 will be released. Otherwise, a drought. Maybe a September Direct that disappoints us all.
  • Oct-Dec: CP10 released and CP11 is shadow revealed then later released. All the Holiday titles come out, like BOTW2 and Pokemon. Some announcement that Smash is definitely done and they aren't doing any more extra DLC. Sakurai goes on a restful, permanent vacation until Nintendo contacts him to work on Melee HD with rollback netcode as part of their new sponsorship agreement with several prominent esports players.
    :lol:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman

Firox

Smash Master
Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I think it’s safe to say Geno is not the next character since if he was he’d probably not be revealed at the game awards and we now have confirmation that theres gonna be a reveal tonight.

Also what time is the game awards

D

Deleted member

Well dang... I was leaning towards a reveal in January and I’m honestly glad I was wrong. But the question is, is it gonna really be Geno after Nintendo revealed Cranky Kong years before and the Wii Fit at E3?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I think it’s safe to say Geno is not the next character since if he was he’d probably not be revealed at the game awards and we now have confirmation that theres gonna be a reveal tonight.

Also what time is the game awards
I don't know - was Steve and this character slated for E3? If we were fine with thinking Geno would be an E3 reveal, we can be fine with thinking he could show up here. Nintendo will show whatever they want to show, the "prestige" or "gravity" of The Game Awards is meaningless to them. The Game Awards benefits from this Smash reveal even if it were the damn poo emoji.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
IT'S HAPPENING THIS IS NOT A DRILL
Oh my god. Its actually happen. I genuinely thought we wouldn't get anyone shown, let alone a reveal, on regards of Smash but glad i am SO glad I was wrong. Quite soon after Steve's reveal and the usual three month wait but am not going to complain. More characters? Hell yeah.

IT'S HAPPENING. Time for hype.

(BTW, now this should give a reason to watch the VGA now, unlike last year where we didn't know but this time is for sure new information).

:bowser: :starman:.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
Tonight's going to be hype. What's great right now is that there is a good handful of characters that seem likely for a VGA reveal. Doom Slayer, Master Chief, Geno, Ryu, Crash, and Sora (hopefully I'm not missing a character that's been popular in speculation recently) all seem likely tonight. While I would love for Geno to be revealed tonight, honestly if any of the characters I mentioned above get revealed, I'm going to be pretty excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom