• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Wow, all this advertising and attention to such a low key tournament. This has 'You Must Recover!' Brawl update of the day vibes: a big old bucket of nothing.
I remember "You Must Recover!" becoming quite the meme but I don't remember it being expected to mean anything.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm... wait a minute.
  • Japan Super Mario-themed Smash tournament is scheduled for December 5th (1st week)
  • South Korea Super Mario-themed Smash tournament is scheduled for December 12th (2nd week)
Could... could the North American Super Mario-themed Smash tournament be announced for December 19th (3rd week)? 👀

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hmm... wait a minute.
  • Japan Super Mario-themed Smash tournament is scheduled for December 5th (1st week)
  • South Korea Super Mario-themed Smash tournament is scheduled for December 12th (2nd week)
Could... could the North American Super Mario-themed Smash tournament be announced for December 19th (3rd week)? 👀

Looking at this, this last "set" was the first international one. First North America had a Challenge Cup before Steve's reveal and then the rest of the world had Challenge Cups the week after Steve's release. Based on this, the other regions will very likely be split among the three weekends into early January.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah I see people saying they want to just have everything revealed at once, but idk if I could handle watching half of the fanbase go nuclear if it did happen. Like no matter what the final lineup is people are gonna be ****ing pissed.
I guess the real question is, would you want people pissed now or wait another year to be pissed even more later?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I guess the real question is, would you want people pissed now or wait another year to be pissed even more later?
To me, waiting later to see who’s next is better than being potentially disappointed at the beginning of every character was revealed then.

D

Deleted member

Whether on the Mario Tournament, on TGA, on January, on the 25° of SMRPG or later, I’m safe as long as Geno is playable. I have waited 20 years, I can wait more and he is in.
Ah yes, the good ol' "I waited 20 years and survived a pandemic so I could finally have my real main in Super Smash Bros."

There's a lot of names from back in the Brawl days that aren't around anymore and I hope they're well. Pour one out for the folks we might have lost on this horrendous journey.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
are you guys ready for slaving over this Mario tournament to not pay off at all? I sure am.
I've built up so much grit and flexibility over the years towards disappointment that it doesn't really phase me anymore. I know I have talked to some people about this in private but I don't know if I have said it out loud but the reason I've been so gung-ho about this is so that we can hopefully establish reliable predictors so people don't have to rely on Twitter oracles and insiders going forward. I want to establish "okay, if these factors are present, we're likely getting something soon" and that's why I'm seemingly going off the rails with checking out things that most people wouldn't give a second thought to like firmware updates. Good or bad, speculation is basically my legacy in the Smash fanbase and I want to encourage not only research but trial and error to figuring stuff out; allowing yourself to be wrong at times but still picking yourself back up and going back to the drawing board.These past two months have essentially been trying to put together a radio well enough to catch a signal, if you catch my drift.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
Alright I guess the Mario Tournament is for Japan and Korea Only While us in North America got the Open Tournament. While my theory was based on the NORTH AMERICA tournaments I did not account for any other Nintendo related smash tournaments in the world. This theory just got a little bit more interesting

D

Deleted member

I've built up so much grit and flexibility over the years towards disappointment that it doesn't really phase me anymore. I know I have talked to some people about this in private but I don't know if I have said it out loud but the reason I've been so gung-ho about this is so that we can hopefully establish reliable predictors so people don't have to rely on Twitter oracles and insiders going forward. I want to establish "okay, if these factors are present, we're likely getting something soon" and that's why I'm seemingly going off the rails with checking out things that most people wouldn't give a second thought to like firmware updates. Good or bad, speculation is basically my legacy in the Smash fanbase and I want to encourage not only research but trial and error to figuring stuff out; allowing yourself to be wrong at times but still picking yourself back up and going back to the drawing board.These past two months have essentially been trying to put together a radio well enough to catch a signal, if you catch my drift.
I don't fault you for it, it's just that Nintendo has a very dedicated fanbase of which the majority are uh...

They like patterns.

I like patterns, too. And Nintendo hates to have a pattern. As soon as they develop one, they throw it into the trash. It's a never ending cycle of picking up on a pattern and getting juked as soon as any of us figure it out.

I'd rather have a slow simmer of pissage instead of a 4 character piss bomb going off all at once.
I just want Nintendo to arm this community with the tsar bomba of anger so we can get it over with, but I prefer the scorched earth method - to each his own.

QQS

Smash Lord
Ah yes, the good ol' "I waited 20 years and survived a pandemic so I could finally have my real main in Super Smash Bros."

There's a lot of names from back in the Brawl days that aren't around anymore and I hope they're well. Pour one out for the folks we might have lost on this horrendous journey.
I already got my most wanted before Geno (Mega Man). Now, if for a reason Geno isn’t playable, I could live with that. Smash is already perfect since Base Game. But I’m a man of faith and believe Geno will be playable this time, my second and finally truly most wanted. I don’t believe it cause “I have waited 20 years” or for a “miracle”, I believe it because there are already too much evidence, coincidences, fan demand fulfilled, and it seems that this is the Smash that is trying to finish and seal all that it’s can.

Im not saying I deserve it for being a client for Nintendo. I’m saying Geno is playable already because, man it’s so clear...

But that’s just my opinion. Everyone has one.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What legitimacy does this jonesy in smash thing have?
4 billion percent chance Fortnite is getting Smash content of some kind based on its developer's comments but I genuinely doubt a character, especially if you look at the staggering list of notable franchises that were Mii costumed.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Pretty much, a reliable source from the Fortnite community had Intel of some private video conference between Donald Mustard, Keighley and a few fans and said leaker out on record them saying no comment which is copy and paste what happened with Travis down to the last detail. The leaker got it from one of those fans presumably but it could easily be a mii costume.

D

Deleted member

The fact that we have to ask that is a sign of how far Smash has fallen. Steve is proof that video game icons are shoved aside to make way for the zoomer flavor of the month or whatever massive well known franchise will turn heads rather than supply any substance to a living museum of video game greatness. I don't know anything for certain but based on my feelings, there's legitimacy to any such rumor.

StarMagician

Smash Cadet
I don't fault you for it, it's just that Nintendo has a very dedicated fanbase of which the majority are uh...

They like patterns.
choked on my food lmfao
some of the community Nostradamuses and their newest aligning-of-the-stars are so contrived. blows my mind how many people buy into it sometimes

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The fact that we have to ask that is a sign of how far Smash has fallen. Steve is proof that video game icons are shoved aside to make way for the zoomer flavor of the month or whatever massive well known franchise will turn heads rather than supply any substance to a living museum of video game greatness. I don't know anything for certain but based on my feelings, there's legitimacy to any such rumor.
>Steve
>Flavor of the month
>Not an icon
ok dude.

Firox

Smash Master
I'd rather have a slow simmer of pissage instead of a 4 character piss bomb going off all at once.
"Slow simmer of pissage"? Lol Fair enough. Regardless of the oceans of salt that would ensue, I think I'd rather just rip the bandage off now and get on with my life. I'd personally be less disappointed to get the shaft up front instead of being strung along like a desperate housewife for a year only to get boned anyway. I still contend that the absolute worst case scenario would be to wait until late 2021, possibly early 2022, only to find out that the very last fighter WASN'T Geno. If they wait until that point to finally drop the costume, I'm gonna riot something fierce. A troll move such as that would be nothing less than a curb-stomping of the fanbase's juevos. I'd like to think Sakurai/Nintendo wouldn't be that evil without offering some kind of consolation prize.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
"Slow simmer of pissage"? Lol Fair enough. Regardless of the oceans of salt that would ensue, I think I'd rather just rip the bandage off now and get on with my life. I'd personally be less disappointed to get the shaft up front instead of being strung along like a desperate housewife for a year only to get boned anyway. I still contend that the absolute worst case scenario would be to wait until late 2021, possibly early 2022, only to find out that the very last fighter WASN'T Geno. If they wait until that point to finally drop the costume, I'm gonna riot something fierce. A troll move such as that would be nothing less than a curb-stomping of the fanbase's juevos. I'd like to think Sakurai/Nintendo wouldn't be that evil without offering some kind of consolation prize.
If they drop the costume with the last fighter, I would be in schock hahaha. That would be a very bad move :(

But that’s not happening cause the puppet is going to awaken!

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
So, tomorrow
Steve? No icon? Jajajajajajajajjajajajajajajajajaajajajajajajajajaj

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
tumblr_inline_mmrrbs7DEl1qz4rgp.jpg

Holy hell.

D

Deleted member

Look, your guy's in the game, no reason to be so insecure about him that you ignore the "whatever massive well known franchise" part that came right after "zoomer flavor of the month".

And my opinion? Steve will never be an icon. Minecraft is an icon because it's a fun game that is literally endless in terms of possibility and the amount of enjoyment that can be pulled from it. Steve's a character I never even see, literally the mii costumes that came with him are more emblematic of Minecraft than him. Enderman and Zombie were the icons, Steve's a default skin that most everyone shrugs off. Same with Alex.

EDIT: Just so that my subtlety isn't lost as it sometimes is, Fortnite is both a massive, well known franchise and a zoomer flavor of the month.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
While I don't think I could deny that Steve is iconic, I do have to agree that he was an obvious pandering to the zoomer crowd and doesn't do anything to refute the possibility of someone like Jonesy getting in. That said, if Jonesy DOES get in, my hopes for FP#2 will have officially died. He and Steve would basically solidify the notion that Nintendo is more interested in parking under Big Money's desk than acknowledging the hardcore fanbase itself.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I think it’s absolutely off to compare Fortnite to Minecraft of all things.
How so? They're both massively selling, contemporary Zoomer favorites. Steve and Jonesy are also both pseudo-generic avatars for the players and implement building mechanics. I don't see how comparing them is "absolutely off" when they have lots of common ground when it comes to target audience and relatively recent success.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Surprised this hasn't been discussed yet but it seems they have discontinued the Switch sick in the UK at least. Doesn't seem likely that it would be discontinued for no reason whatsoever. Could be because of the hypothetical Pro that has been going around for way too long. Could be nothing of course but worth bringing up nonetheless

D

Deleted member

How so? They're both massively selling, contemporary Zoomer favorites. Steve and Jonesy are also both pseudo-generic avatars for the players and implement building mechanics. I don't see how comparing them is "absolutely off" when they have lots of common ground when it comes to target audience and relatively recent success.
I won’t deny the avatar, but I highly doubt Minecraft is flavor of the month. Minecraft has gotten consistent popularity for 10 years and eventually became the best selling video game of all time. “Popular with kids argument”, do you know how many video game franchises are beloved by zoomers? I don’t think that even matters. This is a game beloved of all ages anyway. And I seriously doubt Fortnite has the influence and importance compared to Minecraft historically. As much as you guys don’t want Fortnite and Mincecraft or how bland these character are, that is pretty much a good move from a business perspective adding a character from such a mainstream game to attract people buying the game. I don’t think that’s the end of a fan favorite character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
I won’t deny the avatar, but I highly doubt Minecraft is flavor of the month. Minecraft has gotten consistent popularity for 10 years and eventually became the best selling video game of all time. “Popular with kids argument”, do you know how many video game franchises are beloved by zoomers? I don’t think that even matters. This is a game beloved of all ages anyway. And I seriously doubt Fortnite has the influence and importance compared to Minecraft historically. As much as you guys don’t want Fortnite and Mincecraft or how bland these character are, that is pretty much a good move from a business perspective adding a character from such a mainstream game to attract people buying the game. I don’t think that’s the end of a fan favorite character.
To clarify, I agree that Minecraft isn't a "flavor of the month" in a literal sense, but I think those that originally mentioned it, meant the term to indicate that the franchise was relatively recent when compared to most other fan picks out there, which is true. As for the "popular with kids argument" it's obvious that games can appeal to a wide variety of ages, but the most predominate playerbase of both Minecraft and Fortnite are famously kids under the age of 18. Just because adults play both doesn't mean that they don't mostly appeal to zoomers. And that's not to say that appealing to a younger crowd is a bad thing. It's obviously a lucrative move to accommodate the most popular franchises, however, popularity shouldn't be confused with iconic. Not to delve too deeply into semantics, but "iconic" usually implies a legacy that transcends time and fads. That said, I think a 10 year history grants Minecraft that status. Fortnite, on the hand, probably not so much. Regardless, there are similarities between the two with regards to the success and target audience of both, but I do agree that them getting in isn't a death sentence for Geno, per se, though it doesn't do anything to improve his chances either because it creates a precedent that leans more contemporary rather than toward vintage legacy characters.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Look, your guy's in the game, no reason to be so insecure about him that you ignore the "whatever massive well known franchise" part that came right after "zoomer flavor of the month".

And my opinion? Steve will never be an icon. Minecraft is an icon because it's a fun game that is literally endless in terms of possibility and the amount of enjoyment that can be pulled from it. Steve's a character I never even see, literally the mii costumes that came with him are more emblematic of Minecraft than him. Enderman and Zombie were the icons, Steve's a default skin that most everyone shrugs off. Same with Alex.

EDIT: Just so that my subtlety isn't lost as it sometimes is, Fortnite is both a massive, well known franchise and a zoomer flavor of the month.
You said both while first mentioning Steve so I thought you were applying both to him.

A whole lot of Minecraft fans love Steve and Alex or at least like them enough to make tons and tons of fan art/etc. of them and even use them as characters in videos or whole series. Not to mention the amount of fan demand he got. Yes, he and Alex are avatars in the game itself (aside from being named at least in Bedrock Edition, and Java Edition's internal files), being used to represent players, but I don't see why that matters when he and Alex are also literally the faces of the game alongside the Creeper, Mojang even treating them as their own characters in trailers and some official social media posts etc., and get as much official merchandise as the mobs do including plush toys and costumes. He's emblematic of the game and so there's no reason for him to somehow not be an icon if the game is; he's representative of what you do in the game and most Minecraft fans know who he is as well as a lot of people who aren't fans or don't care. This includes small children who would love meeting "Steve"/a guy in a Steve mascot costume.

Some people were also upset that the upcoming movie didn't seem to feature Steve and Alex; as far as we know it may not, and they aren't the main characters if it does...

And why does it matter if he's a zoomer pick? He's 10 years old. I know y'all wanna see more older characters, but most of the roster is literally made of them and people young and old love Steve, so this "boomer/zoomer" stuff shouldn't even matter. No one gives a crap about Inkling being a zoomer pick.

Minecraft started getting very big not long after its release, meanwhile Fortnite only got big within the past few years sometime after they added Battle Royale. Minecraft also left a big effect.

I don't hate Fortnite but I don't understand why they're compared. And yes, Steve and Jonesy both build, but they're still very different in how they do it, and even a lot of "boomers" like Steve (idk about Jonesy).

---

I don't deny Steve was likely chosen for the big bucks and stuff with fan demand as probably just a side thing, and yes "zoomers" are targeted at (however I believe Minecraft targets a general audience despite some corny acting at Minecon (since they still acknowledge and talk to their older fanbase, and their marketing feels more like stuff everyone can enjoy instead of just kids), and idk about Fortnite but it seems it may target a general audience as well (probably being a bit more mature at first iirc)), but I see no reason to act like he's a zoomer pick only and compare him to Fortnite when Minecraft has shown no signs of slowing down over its 10 or 11 year lifespan.

It's also bothersome how people have a stigma against "zoomers" and "zoomer things" as some sort-of generalization, when a lot of zoomers act just as kind as a lot of "boomers" and love/like both new and old things. It reminds me of some twitter dude acting like zoomers were selfish getting Steve and stuff while no boomer picks were getting chosen, when we literally got a few last round and most of the roster has boomer picks, and was just acting selfish himself.

but the most predominate playerbase of both Minecraft and Fortnite are famously kids under the age of 18.
The average Minecraft player is a young adult. There are kids who like older things, too, anyway.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Well, the Dorito Pope's show just put up the "Player's Voice" vote so... click n vote if you wanna

I'm thinkin personally, IF we're getting a Smash reveal in December, it's "Dorito Pope's Gamin Show Sponsored by Mountain Dew and Endless anti-smoking ads and maybe a Gilette robot or two. Guest Starring Spider-man Tom Holland" or bust.

Just reach right into that Dorito hat and see if there's a Smash Bros Ultimate Fighter Pack in there or perhaps some other Nintendo thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom