• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We still have until Friday this week if nothing else shows up today. Remember how MinMin was handled when it came time for her reveal's announcement

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Going over GOnard's post from the other day, here have been the gaps between tournaments and reveals/releases:

Plant release: 3 days after

Hero/Banjo reveal: 18 days after

Banjo release/Terry reveal: 17 days after

Terry release: 4 days after

Byleth release: 4 days after

ARMS announcement: 26 days before (month COVID started in most countries)

Min Min reveal: 2 days before

Min Min release: 9 days before (same tournament)

Steve reveal: 4 days before

Steve release: 11 days after /18 days after (split by regions)

Crunching the numbers, you wind up with roughly a 10 day average. If you throw out the 26 day outlier you wind up with about an 8 day average. Either way, it supports our observation that official tournaments and reveals/releases are typically pretty close to each other.

D

Deleted member

There's a lot of key differences though:

-The Mario Smash tournament was announced 3 months in advance. Most Smash events have been about 2 weeks.

-It's only one of two tournaments this year with a physical prize. The other going the ongoing Mario Maker 2 event that started yesterday.

-Like I showed in this post, there's been plenty of eventless weekends this year:

-As this previous point shows, the Saturday after the Mario Direct didn't have a Smash event at all and was the only one all year that had absolutely nothing Smash wise, not even a spirit event. What's also notable about this is that Splatoon 2 Fall Invitational was on September 6th, a Sunday, and now we have both a major Smash tournament and Splatoon tournament paired together the first weekend of December. This is notable because the last time Nintendo scheduled Smash and Splatoon in the same weekend was back in June before Min Min.
Right, there was no Smash event that week, but you have four September events listed, and there were four weekends in September. What I'm saying is was there any blank slot, not necessarily Smash related, that the Mario tournament could have taken up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Right, there was no Smash event that week, but you have four September events listed, and there were four weekends in September. What I'm saying is was there any blank slot, not necessarily Smash related, that the Mario tournament could have taken up?
Literally that Saturday. The upcoming Mario tournament is also exactly three months to the day of that empty Saturday. This is also why we've been paying so much attention to it. Why was it delayed three months if it wasn't meant to be attached to something? It could have been that Saturday in September with literally no issue but it wasn't for some unknown reason.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I really think anyone and everyone can agree the Smash Mario tournament delay is suspicious. Why was it announced so early? Why was it pushed? If it's an online thing ... what was "delayed"? If it is indeed not tied to anything, be it Smash, DLC or a game ... then ... why the delay?

Of course there are things behind the scene we do not know ... but come one, it is at minimum suspicious and something to keep an eye out on.

D

Deleted member

Literally that Saturday. The upcoming Mario tournament is also exactly three months to the day of that empty Saturday. This is also why we've been paying so much attention to it. Why was it delayed three months if it wasn't meant to be attached to something? It could have been that Saturday in September with literally no issue but it wasn't for some unknown reason.
I see. I just had to double check on Twitter but I get where I was having a hiccup - the Pokemon Players' Cup seems to have been a multi-month event and didn't have the most well defined dates, but I do see that the weekend of the 12th and 13th was empty. Not sure if that's something we can blame on 9/11 or not, since these tournaments are typically announced a bit in advance and I barely expect it to interfere with what an international company has to announce, much less something on the days after.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I truly hope there's some new news this month. I don't want to slog through The Game Awards and watch lots of dark-and-gritty PS5/Xbox trailers in hopes of finding any Nintendo News.

On the plus side, Age of Calamity is only two days away, I'm looking forward to slicing my way through Hyrule without my weapons breaking every few minutes.
Then don't. I mean, if you want to watch the Game Awards, I'm not gonna stop you. But after how bad last year was, I'm planning on just waiting and seeing what from this year's gets uploaded to YouTube that I find interesting. That combined with the inevitable 10-minute-or-so recaps of TGA a few of the YouTubers I'm subscribed to will post, will give me the same info in much less time. Another thing you could do, is wait till the livestream is over and gets posted as a video. Then you can fast forward through parts.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
If there's going to be a Smash reveal at TGA I really hope they announce it beforehand. I like to see reveals live if I can but I'm not going to sit through TGA again just for the chance of there being one.
Yeah, if Nintendo doesn't formally say "Keep an eye on TGA! We're announcing something big for Smash!" there is no way I'm wasting my life watching it. I'll happily check the highlights the next morning and let the chips fall where they may.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
You could always just keep it on in the background and do something else and start paying attention if something interesting happens. My friends and I did that in 2018, perked up at what we though was a Persona 5 announcement, and then got floored by the Joker reveal.

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Then don't. I mean, if you want to watch the Game Awards, I'm not gonna stop you. But after how bad last year was, I'm planning on just waiting and seeing what from this year's gets uploaded to YouTube that I find interesting. That combined with the inevitable 10-minute-or-so recaps of TGA a few of the YouTubers I'm subscribed to will post, will give me the same info in much less time. Another thing you could do, is wait till the livestream is over and gets posted as a video. Then you can fast forward through parts.
I'll probably just catch the highlights afterwards. I got overhyped last time around.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something else to consider about the Mario Smash Tournament is that the Mario Maker 2 tournament and the Mario Direct were considerably delayed. The tournament was supposed to be shortly after the Mario Maker 2 update in April and the Mario Direct was supposed to be at E3 or at least very close to it. With this in mind, the Mario Direct got delayed roughly 3 months and the Mario Maker 2 tournament got delayed a whopping 7 months. Looking over things, it looks like the original intention was to have major Mario releases or collabs every single month from March to 2021. Obviously, this got derailed in a huge way with very obvious delayed games like 3D World Deluxe and stuff like 3D All Stars and Mario Kart: Pet Chaser Edition likely being several months later than they were supposed to be.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Something else to consider about the Mario Smash Tournament is that the Mario Maker 2 tournament and the Mario Direct were considerably delayed. The tournament was supposed to be shortly after the Mario Maker 2 update in April and the Mario Direct was supposed to be at E3 or at least very close to it. With this in mind, the Mario Direct got delayed roughly 3 months and the Mario Maker 2 tournament got delayed a whopping 7 months. Looking over things, it looks like the original intention was to have major Mario releases or collabs every single month from March to 2021. Obviously, this got derailed in a huge way with very obvious delayed games like 3D World Deluxe and stuff like 3D All Stars and Mario Kart: Pet Chaser Edition likely being several months later than they were supposed to be.
Between now and next Tuesday is when the Mario Maker 2 tournament ends so we could see something soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: QQS

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I mean, we're basically reaching the point where they either announce something in the next two weeks, or we're waiting until January. I think you guys know where I stand on it but I'm still not saying they CAN'T reveal anything, just that I don't really think they will. We're stuck in this really awkward situation where it's likely multiple games were pushed out of 2020 but we don't know how far, and whether Nintendo is still trying to keep those games on track for the fiscal year which ends in March or are pushing stuff past that (Animal Crossing got delayed out of 2019 but still kept in the fiscal year by releasing at the end of March, 3D World likely got shoved out of November for a February release, generally pushing a major title into the next fiscal year messes with projections and investors really don't like it but with everything that's going on and them having a stellar year already I'm wondering if they would anyway).

As for Game Awards, still not understanding why it's wise to completely ignore it Nintendo wise. I mean of every year they've shown something...
  • 2013: CRANKY KONG WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • 2014: Nobody expected anything because of how bad it was the year before (sound familiar?), WHOOPS Here's Codename Steam, Mario 3 and World styles for Super Mario Maker, and the first gameplay of Breath of the Wild.
  • 2015: Nothing except an Iwata Tribute, but also what the hell were they going to show going into 2016.
  • 2016: Breath of the Wild, again. Switch Presentation was a month later, obviously saving cards until then.
  • 2017: Breath of the Wild DLC 2 Shadowdrop, Bayonetta 1+2 ports, Bayonetta 3
  • 2018: Joker (and Ultimate Alliance 3 I guess because they did publish it)
  • 2019: Bravely Default 2, No More Heroes 3
They've had SOMETHING at every event except 2015. Is it true that they tend to focus mostly on info on already announced games? Yeah... but that doesn't mean they can't reveal something new here, and this year has been nothing but ordinary in terms of how Nintendo is announcing things. Last year they decided to let some of the third party games they are promoting/publishing take the spotlight instead, partly because I think there genuinely wasn't a lot of exciting stuff to really reveal for this year, especially the first half where all those games were announced by that point. This idea that Nintendo is just going to skip out for no reason is silly.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Outside of Smash, If Nintendo does decide to show anything at TGA, I’m realistically expecting:
-Zelda BotW 2 trailer with possible Fall 2021 release. Aonuma said to wait a bit longer for more news back in September, and considering how assets are being reused, it’s been in development since early 2018 and Zelda’s 35th is next year, seems like the right time to show.
-Metroid 5(aka sequel to Metroid Fusion): claimed since last year by Vergeben and was backed up again along with a new Paper Mario earlier this year by Zippo and “that” person. With Origami King proving it true, it seems like it’s all but confirmed, just a matter of when. Seeing how Prime 4 missed out in 2018 at the last second, hopefully this can make up for it.
-Bayonetta 3(lol): It’s been almost three years since it was revealed, if it doesn’t get mentioned at all then development is certainly not going well
Still, I enjoy watching the other reveals and nominee winners, so I’m still going to watch it for that.
just as long as they don’t end on a crappy game reveal like last year

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Outside of Smash, If Nintendo does decide to show anything at TGA, I’m realistically expecting:
-Zelda BotW 2 trailer with possible Fall 2021 release. Aonuma said to wait a bit longer for more news back in September, and considering how assets are being reused, it’s been in development since early 2018 and Zelda’s 35th is next year, seems like the right time to show.
-Metroid 5(aka sequel to Metroid Fusion): claimed since last year by Vergeben and was backed up again along with a new Paper Mario earlier this year by Zippo and “that” person. With Origami King proving it true, it seems like it’s all but confirmed, just a matter of when.
-Bayonetta 3(lol): It’s been almost three years since it was revealed, if it doesn’t get mentioned at all then development is certainly not going well
Still, I enjoy watching the other reveals and nominee winners, so I’m still going to watch it for that.
just as long as they don’t end on a crappy game reveal like last year
I'm not even expecting anything specific, I'm just expecting SOMETHING. We're basically sitting on a clean slate right now for 2021 aside from Bravely Default 2, Monster Hunter, and 3D World, and those are all out by the end of March. (I get that's the logic people went into last years Game Awards with, but still.) (EDIT: I suppose NMH3, Pokemon Snap, and SMT V are also next year, but their actual release dates are pretty vague.) I really get the feeling Nintendo is in a bit of a cooling off period right now after spending July-October frantically announcing every 2020 game they had left that were meant to be announced months beforehand. Game Awards is going to be an appetizer and then come January they hit the reset button with a blowout presentation.

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
I'm not even expecting anything specific, I'm just expecting SOMETHING. We're basically sitting on a clean slate right now for 2021 aside from Bravely Default 2, Monster Hunter, and 3D World, and those are all out by the end of March. (I get that's the logic people went into last years Game Awards with, but still.) I really get the feeling Nintendo is in a bit of a cooling off period right now after spending July-October frantically announcing every 2020 game they had left that were meant to be announced months beforehand. Game Awards is going to be an appetizer and then come January they hit the reset button with a blowout presentation.
Man I hope. Would be an awesome way to start 2021.

Firox

Smash Master
I mean, we're basically reaching the point where they either announce something in the next two weeks, or we're waiting until January. I think you guys know where I stand on it but I'm still not saying they CAN'T reveal anything, just that I don't really think they will. We're stuck in this really awkward situation where it's likely multiple games were pushed out of 2020 but we don't know how far, and whether Nintendo is still trying to keep those games on track for the fiscal year which ends in March or are pushing stuff past that (Animal Crossing got delayed out of 2019 but still kept in the fiscal year by releasing at the end of March, 3D World likely got shoved out of November for a February release, generally pushing a major title into the next fiscal year messes with projections and investors really don't like it but with everything that's going on and them having a stellar year already I'm wondering if they would anyway).

As for Game Awards, still not understanding why it's wise to completely ignore it Nintendo wise. I mean of every year they've shown something...
  • 2013: CRANKY KONG WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • 2014: Nobody expected anything because of how bad it was the year before (sound familiar?), WHOOPS Here's Codename Steam, Mario 3 and World styles for Super Mario Maker, and the first gameplay of Breath of the Wild.
  • 2015: Nothing except an Iwata Tribute, but also what the hell were they going to show going into 2016.
  • 2016: Breath of the Wild, again. Switch Presentation was a month later, obviously saving cards until then.
  • 2017: Breath of the Wild DLC 2 Shadowdrop, Bayonetta 1+2 ports, Bayonetta 3
  • 2018: Joker (and Ultimate Alliance 3 I guess because they did publish it)
  • 2019: Bravely Default 2, No More Heroes 3
They've had SOMETHING at every event except 2015. Is it true that they tend to focus mostly on info on already announced games? Yeah... but that doesn't mean they can't reveal something new here, and this year has been nothing but ordinary in terms of how Nintendo is announcing things. Last year they decided to let some of the third party games they are promoting/publishing take the spotlight instead, partly because I think there genuinely wasn't a lot of exciting stuff to really reveal for this year, especially the first half where all those games were announced by that point. This idea that Nintendo is just going to skip out for no reason is silly.
I mean, to second Fatman's point, I don't recall anyone saying that we won't get SOMETHING. Rather that what they do announce won't likely be Smash related or of much interest to many of us. At very least, I doubt any of it will be worth me dedicating several hours of my attention to when I could simply review the highlights the next morning. Regardless of my anticipation for BotW 2, I'm not losing any sleep over a new extended trailer for a 2021 game.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't anyone said to not expect anything at the VGAs. What we've been saying (and what I've been told) is don't expect Smash and don't expect an enormous news dump at the VGAs.
Have your sources heard anything or are they speculating about the next few weeks like us for non-VGA stuff? Just curious

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm still iffy about getting anything Smash-related this month, but I will say the fact that the Mario tournament was pushed to December definitely raises just a bit of hope that maybe they could have something, even though I'm personally doubtful. I'm still currently banking on either a TGA reveal or our long awaited Nintendo Direct in either January or February where they announce the next character.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Have your sources heard anything or are they speculating about the next few weeks like us for non-VGA stuff? Just curious
Aside from that, the last real update I've gotten on anything was in September so it's a slog like everyone else is going through. It's basically a repeat of what happened earlier this year:

-Sabi blasted Paper Mario and Metroid to his 40k followers and got a boot up his ass from Nintendo.

-People were largely paranoid to share Nintendo stuff for a few months.

-"Oh, Nintendo hasn't killed anyone lately? Guess we can go back to it again."

-Goes on all summer until apparently Nintendo threw out a wide net in late September and pretty much told everyone to STFU or else.

-Now it's back to nobody saying anything except vague tidbits like the VGA stuff.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So, Geoff tweeted this a little while ago and, Isabelle x Doom Guy memes aside, it's nice that he's bringing up that these two franchises got quite a number of nominations this year. Still, it does make you think. Hmm. 🤔

EDIT: Just for kicks... CacoMallow is real. :2gud:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I do think that Nintendo has to have 1 BIG thing at TGA this year. Reason being is that we don’t have any update for next years games. Sure, you could make the case for 3D World but I think they have something up their sleeve.

I’m not really confident at all in Smash because of the timeline we’ve been presented with where I see the reveal coming sometime in January but I guess you never know.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I freakin' love that they snuck in a little bit of Dimble Wood from Bowser's Inside Story at 1:01.
That's a nice attention to detail and is quite reminiscent of what Kirkhope did with the Spiral Mountain remix. I remember hearing an interview where they were apparently quite lucky with what other songs he had nods toward in the remix. Tbh, due to how Shimomura san is the original composer and just how good the music is from M&L, it does seem like quite an omission. Idk where the licensing stands due to the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Alpha Dream but hopefully Geno would rectify that. There must be at least 50/60 songs they could rip from M&L that I can think of which, maybe along with PM Origami King and obviously SMRPG stuff, could have a lot of potential.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Will just say if we getting a Character Reveal Before TGAs, Now would be the best Time for Geno so he can be in that Mario Tournament, and I guess also get Advertisment from people who Buy Geno and use him in Tournament. (Not to say he Deconfirmed even after Tournament over), But Just thematically it make sense

View attachment 292118
I really, really wanted Shadow, and the Nov 1 Direct seriously hurt my feelings (yes, my feelings were hurt over a children’s party game, point and laugh), but I can’t help but raise an eyebrow when the first Shadow rumor is coming from 7NATOR, the guy unanimously known for being Mr. “Shadow is in but he can’t be an echo” on GameFAQS back in 2018.

You could argue that all of us are similarly biased towards Geno, but I feel like Geno has had lots of solid evidence and backing to be in this pass, whereas Shadow being his own individual fighter just seems outlandish on it’s own.

Plus... if we’re getting another Assist Trophy playable aside from Waluigi, I feel there is a much stronger candidate with some good reasons for inclusion, if we go by some recent rumors

November 1st Is My Birthday, So Seeing Shadow, My Most wanted, getting Deconfirmed on the Same Day Really sucked, that I was Salty the rest of the Direct. I didn't even get to appreciate Guile's Assist Trophy (For how he Turtles) and I guess Plant till after I rewatched the Direct.

Anyway as for the Rumor itself, It's not from me. It was another User on Gamefaqs that talked to me about it, and he had his own source or Something. Honestly I Don't know how to feel about it, since it did predict Rabbids Mii costume, and something with Bomberman did show up

But honestly there was some wrong stuff with the Rumor though. It's why I'm comfortable sharing it since Honestly I don't believe everything It says in the end, since some stuff was wrong. I just keep the Assist thing In mind since Bomberman was a Premium Costume, and Assists haven't been Strictly Offically deconfirmed by Sakurai yet

MattX20

Smash Hero
My personal feeling is that if we do get one more fighter reveal/release this year, it'll take place likely before the 10th of December

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Much lower now. It there was going to be one this week it would have already been announced. We could get a shadowdropped announcement today or tomorrow ala Paper Mario/Pikmin/AoC but that's now the best that can be reasonably be expected this week unless Nintendo drops a Mini out of nowhere. Like I said yesterday, next Tuesday is the absolute last chance for November and it's not looking too hot. The first week of December is more or less the last call for 2020 so, if nothing happens by December 4th, we're probably wholesale ****ed until at least January 13th.
As I mentioned in my post not too long ago, I think we're likely not getting anything else this year. Pretty much every DLC fighter has had at least a few new Spirit waves inbetween eachother, so unless they decie to drop a couple between now and New Year's Eve, we're pretty much done 'til next year.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I know this isn't really about Geno, but a couple of things to be hyped about if you love both platform fighters and fighting games.

First off, the McLeod crew dropped this beastly announcement:

I'm absolutely blown away about this announcement and this looks like one of the coolest things ever, but this is also the exact reason why I think no single indie rep will ever get into Ultimate...because they don't need it. This is what best benefits indies, is getting their own games that are unique and interesting, with that indie charm about them. This is why Shovel Knight being an AT and possible costume later on and Sans and Cuphead being costumes is the best thing for them because it's recognition of their achievements but also isn't getting in the way of AAA opportunities or taking away from their indie charm. Once again, that isn't to say an indie rep is impossible, but I always felt that anything more than a Spirit, costume or AT would go against the indie spirit. Add in that indie devs are so diverse in what they offer and how there is no 'Mario' of indies where I feel as the majority of the indie fandom could all agree on other than perhaps Quote, and I think this is solid enough evidence to not expect an playable indies.

The other news was that Maximillian_dood announced he worked with Twitch Rivals to make this dope UMvC3 online tournament and that in some form Assist Me is returning. I actually lost my mind and screamed at like 11PM or some **** when I saw that.

With this and the VGAs coming up and the fact that SOMETHING is cooking in Nintendo's kitchen makes the end of this year almost perfect.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So I know this isn't really about Geno, but a couple of things to be hyped about if you love both platform fighters and fighting games.

First off, the McLeod crew dropped this beastly announcement:

I'm absolutely blown away about this announcement and this looks like one of the coolest things ever, but this is also the exact reason why I think no single indie rep will ever get into Ultimate...because they don't need it. This is what best benefits indies, is getting their own games that are unique and interesting, with that indie charm about them. This is why Shovel Knight being an AT and possible costume later on and Sans and Cuphead being costumes is the best thing for them because it's recognition of their achievements but also isn't getting in the way of AAA opportunities or taking away from their indie charm. Once again, that isn't to say an indie rep is impossible, but I always felt that anything more than a Spirit, costume or AT would go against the indie spirit. Add in that indie devs are so diverse in what they offer and how there is no 'Mario' of indies where I feel as the majority of the indie fandom could all agree on other than perhaps Quote, and I think this is solid enough evidence to not expect an playable indies.

The other news was that Maximillian_dood announced he worked with Twitch Rivals to make this dope UMvC3 online tournament and that in some form Assist Me is returning. I actually lost my mind and screamed at like 11PM or some **** when I saw that.

With this and the VGAs coming up and the fact that SOMETHING is cooking in Nintendo's kitchen makes the end of this year almost perfect.
We're all hoping for something substantial in the near future

Griselda

Smash Lord
At that point I'd just rather not have him in. Shadow has more than enough to separate himself from Sonic, so much so he could have an entire moveset completely original. I'd be okay with him being an echo, but as an alt, that's just not doing Shadow justice.
That's a fair take on things. I actually think that Shadow has enough to pull from that he could have at least three movesets (Gunplay/ShTh, Pure Chaos-based/Sonic Battle, Sonic-like with minor Chaos abilities/Sonic 06). He definitely has moveset potential drawing from the games, but my point is that on different occasions even in the Sonic series Shadow has played near or wholly identically to Sonic - both notably in his original appearance in SA2, and most recently in Forces.

I understand that not everyone agrees with me on this point, but my take on it is that I want my Shadow. And given the precedence in the Sonic games I'm okay with him being an echo, and I'd even accept an alt (though I will admit that I'd prefer an echo over an alt, it's just more of an 'I'll take what I can get' sort of thing).

And I don't really think it's hypocritical to settle for that when I want Geno as a full fighter, honestly. The difference here is that Shadow, while it wouldn't represent his more unique abilities, could be represented through Sonic's moveset alone, but Geno can't be anyone's alt or echo, and to be completely honest, he has very little in common with Mii Gunner's moveset, so even the costume isn't a very good match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom