• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Hah, I was correct! Maybe, but that’s a lot of potential evidence towards what I was thinking earlier - We were gonna get Minecraft content in base game, possibly Steve too but definitely the Enderdragon as a boss like Vergeben claimed, but when they ran into conceptualization/development problems with Steve they shelved the Minecraft content for the time being and replaced the Enderdragon with another dragon in Rathalos, which explains why Rathalos is the only boss that doesn’t have a playable fighter attached, and why there’s barely any MH-related content besides it in the game being that it was brought in later on as an initially-unplanned thing.

EDIT: As mentioned earlier, this would also explain why we found code relating to Rare (aka Microsoft) spirits. Steve was in talks/dev for at least 3 years, so whatever happened to force them to drop him from basegane happened late into the development cycle so that things like these files were left, like the Chorus Kids and Rhythm Heaven content in Smash 4

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Well good news first. Steve looks really fun. I really like all the alts! Microsoft being involved helps support some of Fatman's theories but more on that later. I'm not disappointed in the choice to include Steve at all; it makes sense.

Now the not as good news. Steve still doesn't get me interested enough to buy the pass and at this point I think I just don't really care anymore. I really would have preferred Master Chief but I definitely understand going with Steve. Mainly though...it's not Geno, it's not Crash, it's not Rayman and the spots are running out and I'm losing hope. Though Microsoft does corroborate Fatman's theories; he got the fighter wrong so we easily could get a different SE or Mario character or neither. We knew this anyway since it's just theorycrafting but still makes me worry about Geno and how Nintendo will be choosing fighters.

I just hope people who bought the pass and wanted Steve really enjoy his playstyle. He does look great and the trailer was fun.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Didn't they also use that Enderman skin in one of those old Xbox 360 skin packs?
Yeah they did. I think it fit over a basic player model though; it didn't have the skinny arms iirc.

You know, today has made me wonder about something I never thought I would consider...

Do you guys know if there is any good Geno Minecraft skins out there?
There's this skin, I think it's really good:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well good news first. Steve looks really fun. I really like all the alts! Microsoft being involved helps support some of Fatman's theories but more on that later. I'm not disappointed in the choice to include Steve at all; it makes sense.

Now the not as good news. Steve still doesn't get me interested enough to buy the pass and at this point I think I just don't really care anymore. I really would have preferred Master Chief but I definitely understand going with Steve. Mainly though...it's not Geno, it's not Crash, it's not Rayman and the spots are running out and I'm losing hope. Though Microsoft does corroborate Fatman's theories; he got the fighter wrong so we easily could get a different SE or Mario character or neither. We knew this anyway since it's just theorycrafting but still makes me worry about Geno and how Nintendo will be choosing fighters.

I just hope people who bought the pass and wanted Steve really enjoy his playstyle. He does look great and the trailer was fun.
I'm not entirely sure if Steve will sell the pass, but will probably sell individually well

xenother

Smash Apprentice
Hah, I was correct! Maybe, but that’s a lot of potential evidence towards what I was thinking earlier - We were gonna get Minecraft content in base game, possibly Steve too but definitely the Enderdragon as a boss like Vergeben claimed, but when they ran into conceptualization/development problems with Steve they shelved the Minecraft content for the time being and replaced the Enderdragon with another dragon in Rathalos, which explains why Rathalos is the only boss that doesn’t have a playable fighter attached, and why there’s barely any MH-related content besides it in the game being that it was brought in later on as an initially-unplanned thing.

EDIT: As mentioned earlier, this would also explain why we found code relating to Rare (aka Microsoft) spirits. Steve was in talks/dev for at least 3 years, so whatever happened to force them to drop him from basegane happened late into the development cycle so that things like these files were left, like the Chorus Kids and Rhythm Heaven content in Smash 4
Ender dragon was never a thing as far as I know (although things could have changed somewhere along the line). I believe it was just speculation from Vergeben.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Just curious, when was the last time you guys were really hyped for a character? For me it was probably Banjo. What a coincidence that another Microsoft character made me really hyped for Smash again. Thanks Phil!
Banjo, easily.

Terry was cool, but I didn’t know who he was beforehand. Byleth was...Y’know. Min Min was interesting, and Steve is funny, but I wouldn’t say I was hyped for them.

It’s been a good while since I’ve been truly ecstatic for a smash reveal.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm not entirely sure if Steve will sell the pass, but will probably sell individually well
Steve will definitely sell the pass, his reveal video made more views than the others in less than a day and got loads of positivity.

edit: or maybe it was that it made more views in a day than others made in a day, but it was still met with way more positivity than negativity.

Last edited:

RichieGonzo

Smash Rookie
Just curious, when was the last time you guys were really hyped for a character? For me it was probably Banjo. What a coincidence that another Microsoft character made me really hyped for Smash again. Thanks Phil!
Honestly, not since Smash 4. Everyone in my wishlist got deconfirmed in Ultimate except Geno and Porky and I don't see Porky happening in a million years.

Droodle

Smash Lord
No one character is going to "sell the pass", the pass itself does that by the virtue of getting characters for a cheaper overall price. But Steve was definitely a big get, and definitely among the biggest in Smash history (definitely the biggest in Ultimate).

But from what I can tell Steve's reveal has been pretty positive, he's getting tons of views for a relatively low-key advertised presentation, and he's raking in that twitter likes. The dude managed to crash twitter, which not a lot of characters can imagine to do; and I honestly have a hard time believing we will get a bigger reveal than Steve from an "objective" standpoint. So all in all I think he'll rake in money for himself and the pass.

And we haven't even seen his presentation yet.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Holy poop, guys. I came to this thread to post about Steve having been in the planning stages for three years, but I was beaten to the punch. This could be pretty big for us. I'm sure we're all aware that it's been a long time and we still have neither Caco nor Mallow costumes. Doesn't seem like we'd go this long without at least one of them, right? But to learn that a character can be planned for three years... I think that helps lend to the possibility that those costumes might be in, and they're just holding off until they can come with their appropriate fighter(s).

Of course, it's worth remembering that CacoMallow could still be fake, and we could end up not getting Geno at all. But this bodes a little well for it!

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Some other thoughts: Min Min and Steve both appear to have very unique new mechanics and fighting styles in Smash. I think that we could be looking at a pass full of characters like these that bring really new mechanics to the game. It's something to think about when looking at the pool of remaining characters. But it's impossible to establish this as an actual pattern and who's to say what Sakurai could make into a new mechanics.

And I just want to reiterate that bonuses seem very unlikely. If we were to get any it's odd we've seen two reveals with no hints of any bonus fighters to come.

Steve shows the extent to which Nintendo will go to get new characters for this pass. Microsoft may not be seen as a competitor but it's still amazing they were able to get Steve in Smash.

Related to the last point, we now have confirmation that companies from the previous pass can get a fighter in this pass as well. This is something we pretty much knew but is now confirmed and can't be used to gatekeep Geno.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Some other thoughts: Min Min and Steve both appear to have very unique new mechanics and fighting styles in Smash. I think that we could be looking at a pass full of characters like these that bring really new mechanics to the game. It's something to think about when looking at the pool of remaining characters. But it's impossible to establish this as an actual pattern and who's to say what Sakurai could make into a new mechanics.

And I just want to reiterate that bonuses seem very unlikely. If we were to get any it's odd we've seen two reveals with no hints of any bonus fighters to come.

Steve shows the extent to which Nintendo will go to get new characters for this pass. Microsoft may not be seen as a competitor but it's still amazing they were able to get Steve in Smash.

Related to the last point, we now have confirmation that companies from the previous pass can get a fighter in this pass as well. This is something we pretty much knew but is now confirmed and can't be used to gatekeep Geno.
And Geno's new mechanic would be timed hits!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Someone please explain to me how a character that had been rumored/leaked for two years finally getting in the game is reason to dismiss a mii costume leak from less than a year ago. In what way does Steve invalidate Geno or Cacomallow? Like the one thing that's a hit against Geno is that he's not 77. But take a step back. If he was planned for E3 and E3 was canceled because of Covid and both he and Steve were basically done is it that crazy for Microsoft to have requested Steve be revelaed before to coincide with the Minecraft convention? Because everything else about this feels more like points for Geno/Cacomallow than anything else.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
So, first things first, I gotta gloat.

Every time I said that Sakurai said the character needs to have showed up on a Nintendo console? I was right. Sorry, Master Chief. And it's looking really likely that mechanics that are so outlandish they push the boundaries of Smash is the reason that the estimated finish date is in 2021 is also something I was right about. Oh, and you know the best part?

Every time I said that a 10 AM presentation for a character sucks? Because they know Smash fans are not gonna be hype? Wew, lad.

View attachment 287791

Alright, that's enough of that. There's no real winners here, namely because I also have to hold an L.

TheCJBrine TheCJBrine I gotta thoroughly apologize for all the times I dunked on Steve or played down his chances in this thread. You had a passion for the character and I was probably coming off as rude.

So... after having thought about it heavily, this being an E3 reveal makes sense even in the context of Sakurai saying that it took forever to make this character work. Steve is clearly a character who has to gather resources from the stage and has interactions with every stage in a unique way, and yes, that did take time, but probably not 10 months of 2020. Note that Sakurai was still speaking from his house, (on his couch that everyone acted like costs a fortune when it's just about an average priced couch, my mans ain't shopping at Ikea) do we know for sure that he and the team are still working from home? Japan ended their lockdown in late May, which was shortly after Sakurai filmed Min Min's video by his own admission.
View attachment 287810

I find myself genuinely wondering if that little tree behind him is fake. It seems like it would be very hard to care for an actual live tree, and one of the trees has nothing to catch any water that may come out of the bottom when watering it... But that bad boy hasn't changed at all between the Min Min and Steve presentations. This is probably a silly assumption to make, but I don't think this Steve recording happened long after the Min Min one. Something else to note is that the video quality in the Steve recording seems to be a bit worse, but it could just be because of how bright it is in Sakurai's living room.

Obviously, had E3 happened, this recording likely wouldn't have come from his house, but I just wanted to throw it out there that Steve did not take this long and, as we usually suspect, Sakurai has been done with him for ages and had to wait for Nintendo to move. What we saw would have been ready to go at E3. Now, I don't think there was a character swap - I think that unfortunately, Nintendo is just so ****ing braindead that they don't realize what a match made in heaven Geno and the number 77 is. Maybe it's something they felt would be too obvious? Either way, I'm with Fatman on the fact that E3 probably had two characters lined up because it always does.

A musing I had earlier that I feel might be of importance is that at E3 2019, Nintendo lead off with a Square pick that was 100% a business move. Hero was advertising an exclusive version of Dragon Quest 11 and was a really strong play by SquareEnix to pump up the popularity of Dragon Quest in the west. Nintendo also went to Microsoft and retrieved a 100% fan pick that benefit them in absolutely no way aside from the media attention it got. I mean, let us not forget that Sakurai had to say "go play Banjo Kazooie on the Xbox" and Nintendo itself was surprised that Banjo was actually as popular as we made him out to be.

Now let's see 2020. Nintendo leads off with a Microsoft pick that was 100% a business move. Minecraft is the best selling game of all time and they know it's going to turn heads to be in Smash and sell like hotcakes. To them, it's likely to increase awareness of Minecraft and its spinoffs being available on Switch and that's going to be a powerful flag to bear in the coming years as Nintendo maybe kind of has a somewhat more powerful Switch version coming out and that's all they've got to compete with the big dogs. Providing a budget alternative that can run one of the most popular franchises in the world very well could be their game plan. So if we were to continue mirroring E3, we would get a fan pick from SquareEnix that does very little for Nintendo... But we have heard so much about Super Mario RPG Remake... Would that even be the case?

I also want to throw out there that despite how long it's been, I don't think Cacomallow is off the table yet. If this had been any normal year, sure... but Nintendo has screwed the pooch and have had the ultimate excuse to cover them. I think we can give it a little more leeway than we would anything else in normal circumstances. Not to mention, the Mario tournament was scheduled for "November or December", like once again, they didn't know exactly when they were going to be ready for it... It's just strange.

I feel like there was more that I wanted to point out, but I'm hungry and maybe still ****ed up by the fact that Minecraft Steve is in Smash and looks like he was photoshopped into every screenshot he's in. This thread had over 300 guests in it earlier and I hate to disappoint you guys but no one here is gonna go nuclear, you're not gonna farm salt out of us.

Geno lived, *****.
I'm certain the tree is fake, leaves grow towards the light and there are leaves on the "tree" facing the corner where no light would come from. So the tree is no hint for when this was recorded
phototropism.jpg

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
First off, wanna say congrats to those who wanted Steve! Really happy for y'all

Being totally honest, I hated the idea of Steve when it was first rumored in 2018, but I actually ended up warming up to it pretty quickly and found the idea exciting. It finally panned out now, and yeah, it's really cool to see. Steve in Smash is an amazing achievement and I'm excited to see more on Saturday

Also, Geno's chances to continue to look very good. It sucks we have to wait longer though. I'm hoping we see Joanna Dark or Cacodemon costume to give more credibly to the Mario RPG Mii costume leaks

The biggest take away for me however, is that long rumored characters should be payed attention too. The Minecraft stuff that was heard all the way back in 2018 panned out, and Imran confirmed that Minecraft was on the table for that long. This opens the doors for stuff like Waluigi, Lloyd, Ryu, and yes Geno who have also been rumored for a while now. It's very exciting, and it's nice so see speculation get a bit of a shake up. I'm hoping we don't have to wait long for 8

Firox

Smash Master
I have to say, I've been surveying several other video game news outlets and I find the reaction to Steve to be kind of funny. I'm seeing a lot of disappointment, but very rarely any direct hate since everyone concedes the fact that he comes from literally the best selling game in the world. With most reveals, you almost always have a sizeable fraction of people screaming about how undeserving the character is, yet regardless of peoples' feelings for Steve, no one can deny it was a sensible move on the part of Nintendo. It'll be interesting to see what Steve's gameplay does to the dynamics of a fight.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I've figured out most of Steve's moveset at this point, he's got some wacky stuff, but the one thing I can't figure out is how the hell mining, crafting, and placing blocks works. All the other specials slots are filled except Neutral but all 3 of those things can't be the same input, it's really confusing me.

Firox

Smash Master
I've figured out most of Steve's moveset at this point, he's got some wacky stuff, but the one thing I can't figure out is how the hell mining, crafting, and placing blocks works. All the other specials slots are filled except Neutral but all 3 of those things can't be the same input, it's really confusing me.
Maybe it's like Villager's down B where the function changes based on what you've already done/crafted.

PS. Does Steve look like he has any projectiles?

Last edited:

RichieGonzo

Smash Rookie
Considering CP 8 was planned for E3 alongside Steve, do you guys think we won't get anymore reveals till next year?

My guess is March 2021.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Considering CP 8 was planned for E3 alongside Steve, do you guys think we won't get anymore reveals till next year?

My guess is March 2021.
March is waaaay too late man. I'm thinking Game Awards at the earliest though.

Maybe it's like Villager's down B where the function changes based on what you've already done/crafted.

PS. Does Steve look like he has any projectiles?
He doesn't really have any projectiles (thank god, we don't need a building character to have a bow and potions) aside from the fact that the minecart seems capable of picking up opponents, it's really wacky at 2:30.

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
crafting seems to only be possible in front of a workbench, when they build a house around pichu you can see a few workbenches in the background, odds are you spawn them by building, then the spawn button becomes a craft button when in front of it

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

My guess is March 2021.
Amiibo Theory, my guy. Banjo and Terry's Amiibos will likely be announced Saturday along with their release date. Amiibo Theory is currently 8 for 8 so whatever month it winds up being, that's when 8's planned release is.

D

Deleted member

I'm certain the tree is fake, leaves grow towards the light and there are leaves on the "tree" facing the corner where no light would come from. So the tree is no hint for when this was recorded
View attachment 287853
I'm glad we've got our best plant scientists on the case and I appreciate this input. The tree seems to have been purchased to mask a speaker in that corner, so I was fairly certain it was a fake plant, but Sakurai could just really like taking time out of his day/week to water a small tree.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
crafting seems to only be possible in front of a workbench, when they build a house around pichu you can see a few workbenches in the background, odds are you spawn them by building, then the spawn button becomes a craft button when in front of it
Oh, ok, that makes sense, you can see him spawning it in at 1:30, and you can see it stays there in other clips. But how does he summon it, a Shield-Special like Inkling? He doesn't place it, it falls out of the sky.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Oh, ok, that makes sense, you can see him spawning it in at 1:30, and you can see it stays there in other clips. But how does he summon it, a Shield-Special like Inkling? He doesn't place it, it falls out of the sky.
it is possible that some of the taunt buttons are used for non offensive moves like spawning the workbench/crafting, how many of the taunts do we have accounted for

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Things you can look out for on Saturday if you give negative ****s about Steve:

-Banjo and Terry Amiibo release dates

-the missing Smash 4 Mii costumes

-Mii costumes that deconfirm major characters

Today has already given us a lot of information for speculation and Saturday is likely to give us more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom