• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Speaking of which

He mentioned the dragon from mincraft as a boss do you think that's happening?
No. DLC characters don't get bosses. Besides, he mentioned this all the way back in base game so that was probably false information he had that had nothing to do with Steve getting in today.

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
This is such a letdown. I mean, I would've been disappointed with anybody who wasn't Geno, but this just feels.. worse, somehow? It was inevitable we would get Minecraft content. But it seems like such a soulless addition. Maybe because I'm not a zoomer. Also, did anybody else catch that Sakurai didn't seem super enthusiastic about the character? He clearly enjoys the games, but the way he spoke or what he said suggested to me that this was more of "If I have to..." sort of situation.

Also, this leaked about an hour before it happened. A Reddit user named PracticalBrush12 leaked it. He also accurately leaked Byleth and, looking back through his profile, leaked Monster Hunter and a few other Nintendo things. We got a live one. Now everyone will scare this dude off the internet for sure. papagenos papagenos

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Idk if we should consider that an accomplishment. For all we know the Japanese execs are laughing at what they see is an absurd desire for such an obscure character. Well, that's the worst-case scenario anyway.
Reposting this. The way Sakurai talked about the executives, makes me this think this might be sadly true...

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
When I first saw Mario I was excited, especially when Cloud showed and Mario was knocked into the darkness and the sky shattered. I thought Dharkon was gonna attack or The Smithy Gang from the eyes, but when Steve showed in a literarily “Hi guys!” way! I was so confused! I love that Steve is a playable character and I am really excited, though the thing that confuses me is that the GameStop video from July mentioned Geno with insiders talking about him as well. I think they either switched their slots around or that Steve was kept a secret but Geno was more heard from. Overall I’m very excited about Steve though, it just confuses me on how there was a ton of evidence towards Geno, especially that it showed that he was likely next?

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
Speaking of which

He mentioned the dragon from mincraft as a boss do you think that's happening?
I don't think Verg saying there was going to be Minecraft content had anything to do with this. There's absolutely no way he knew about this that far in advance.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Watch out for the FNAF Freddy Mii Costume,
I'm calling it now.
I've stated to friends and in other places that I would love to see the original four Fazbear animatronics show up as Mii Brawler costumes. There's just something about Mii Fighters actually being stuffed inside Freddy's suits that writes the joke all on its own.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Okay so overall, its exciting. Steve is cool, he just wasnt really someone id actively campaign for. Congrats to people hoping for Steve, you guys definitely deserve it.

Now its already been mentioned here but Its pretty interesting how well hero and banjo reflects steve and geno. Maybe the mario tournament was delayed for fp8, a.k.a Geno?

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Two things:

With Steve as the de facto Microsoft rep in this pass, this means Chief is out. That much is obvious. It can be argued that they didn’t want two green space marines in the game, which opens the door for Doom Slayer.

Steve being the alleged E3 opener makes sense, and I understand now why it would take so long to finally reveal him: he’s a complicated character, per Sakurai. I can see 8 being revealed soon. Ideally, it’d be on Saturday. But we’ll see.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Listen. What everyone needs to understand is that nobody 'won', today. Not even Minecraft fans. This was all decided and finalized ages ago. Nothing was lost or gained by believing that anything different would happen - because speculation like we do in these threads doesn't actually affect what comes to pass. All we do is try to figure out what has already happened. Hype however you want - and don't lower your mood or feel bad because your prediction might be wrong. That's how life works.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
A number of my friends and family wanted Steve in Smash. I'm actually more interested in the Stage and Music.

Well, better luck next time Geno thread.
There's still the Mario tournament happening on November and December, so don't give up.
There's still 4 more slots in Fighter Pass 2, and an additional 4 in the game's data.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Even though Geno was not revealed, that DOES NOT mean he is deconfirmed. I highly doubt they would reveal a Geno/Square Enix skin for a Microsoft rep. Don't give up hope! :)

Droodle

Smash Lord
Seriously, who is **** is 8?!? Steve is officially the first true Western character in Smash and he wasn't even supposed to be the E3 closer. I don't think you all grasp how significant that is. So, we now have 8, who by a decade and a half of E3 precedent is more than likely:

-a fan favorite

-90% third party

And again, this is supposed to be a character that tops Steve... That suggests an enormous fan favorite to me. It sucks that we're back to waiting but this is far from over.
Based world: Geno

Cruel world: Sora (with Geno being leakbait like Chief)

I kid. I kid.

I think Minecraft was going to be the ender for whatever E3 they had planned though.
Min Min would start it off and Minecraft to end it fits, because I don't think they'd reveal Min Min before the presentation, they'd just save it for afterwards.

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
Devil's advocate, because I need a little uplifting right now.

What if 7, 8, and 9 are scrambled up a bit from their original intended order? COVID may not have hampered production or development, but with the extended delay since Byleth it allowed Sakurai's team, Nintendo, and whoever they coordinate with for 3rd parties to rearrange the release schedule for the middle of this pass to give it a non-shill reason to sell the pass (Minecraft) and make it look better to general consumers and their parents before dropping the characters of a decidedly smaller market but more able to spend their money freely (Geno, Crash, Dante, Whomever).

The Microsoft purchase of ZeniMax was just announced, with a potential Cacodemon Mii costume sale left in the balance. This delay now means that all the rights would have been sorted out and clear in time for the costume to be on sale. Moving up Steve to now better sales of the pass overall.

I am really wondering if Sakurai was being Sakurai, or truly digging at Nintendo for voluntolding him to make Minecraft work.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Grats to those who like Steve but man I am beyond livid. Already updated the list somewhat but I also got 0 sleep because I was too excited to go to bed... for my #1 anti-pick. -___________-

Also sorry to anyone hoping for MC, he was leakbait.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , how does this effect your list?

Was there a specific reason you were predicting Chief, or were you just expecting a Microsoft character in general, and you just assumed Chief was the most likely?
Well, the base prediction for Season 2 based on things was the following:

-Nintendo
-Microsoft
-Capcom
-Square
-Namco
-"A Western company" (More than likely Activision)

From there in January, I filled in the blanks with Waluigi, Chief, Dante, Geno, Lloyd, and Crash. Nintendo and Microsoft packs have now come true but with different characters. Now it's just the waiting game for the others.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
You know, someone said something to me just now that kind of makes sense. I'm wondering if this is why Byleth felt so out of place in Pass 1. The amount of devwork being described by Sakurai to make Steve work, reworking the code for the stages to properly adjust to the new fighter's abilities, I wonder if Steve needed so much more time and energy that he got swapped around with a 1st party?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Weirdest thing about this is that the "Sakurai Presents" will be two days from now.

Like if it's gonna be that close, why not do it all that once? Makes no sense.
It's apparently tied to a Minecraft convention - having it on the same day would likely make people suspicious, especially since there normally aren't presentations on Saturdays.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Alright, well to me Steve's not as bad as Joker or another anime sword character getting in so whatever. I get his inclusion. It sucks though because Master Chief is in my top 3 with Geno and Crash and now his chances are dead.

HOWEVER, MC not being in I think increases Doomslayer's chances since they are pretty similar. And of course, that would increase Geno's chances because of the CacoMallow leak. So I think this is still good for us.

I think the next reveal will be at TGA's and I could see Doomslayer being shown there. I don't think Geno would make much sense for TGA's honestly, so we may be waiting until next Summer for Geno unfortunately. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Firox

Smash Master
all the "leakers" can go **** themselves.

Even though I love minecraft, I did not want steve in smash at all. And to say i'm pissed because like so many others I put some faith in those leakers would be an understatement.

From this day forward I'd recommend every and anyone who tries to post any "leaks" be immediately banned For a day. We all were led on for months to get our hopes up, and this was the ** that happened. It's clear the supposed "leakers" are all full of ** and/or Nintendo is deliberately throwing around leak bait names just to **** with everyone. None of them have any actual inside information on smash. They might on other games, but Nintendo has ensured that the only way smash leaks happen now, are if they themselves screw up like they did terry.
Amen, dude. The biggest takeaway here is that leaker's officially don't know jack ****, and thanks to Nintendo's new anti-leaking tactics, they likely never will again. Anyone professing to be a leaker that doesn't produce actual gameplay footage or something on par with that is a charlatan POS and deserves a sandpaper pole suppository.

Second biggest takeaway is the dour omen this reveal puts on the rest of the fighter's pass. Now, Geno's chances haven't technically diminished at all from this, but let's look at what we have so far:
-A revisit to one of Nintendo's past lack-luster franchises
-A direct pandering to literally the best selling game on earth

Do these choices make sense from a business perspective? Of course. In fact, from Nintendo's perspective, it's a total no-brainer. Kids and tweens everywhere will rejoice at the advent of their horribly rendered block people! Hooray! My congratulations to all the fans of Minecraft....however, we have some implications here that don't bode well for the rest of the past.

-Firstly, Minecraft is owned by Microsoft. While this could make for an interesting partner ship between Nintendo and the computer conglomerate, does this spell doom (heh) for Master Chief? Does that mean any further Microsoft reps are off the table for the rest of this pass?

-Secondly, both of the picks so far demonstrate that Nintendo is interested in its own self-fellatio first and foremost. Again, while this makes perfect sense from a business perspective, it strongly suggests that relevance, or at least DESIRED relevance, is far more valuable to them this time around. With FP1, we had exciting creative choices like Joker and Terry along with huge fan picks like Banjo and Hero (yes, Hero was big in Japan even if he wasn't in the west). True, Byleth was an outlier in that regard, but still, you can see that this pass is trying to sell itself on mass popularity alone. This doesn't instill very much, if ANY, confidence in future fan picks.

The good news is that Geno could still very well be the "Banjo" of FP2, but Minecraft seriously killed my enthusiasm for the pass. In fact, this only solidifies my resolve to boycott the bulk package until something of value to me is ever revealed.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Well, the base prediction for Season 2 based on things was the following:

-Nintendo
-Microsoft
-Capcom
-Square
-Namco
-"A Western company" (More than likely Activision)

From there in January, I filled in the blanks with Waluigi, Chief, Dante, Geno, Lloyd, and Crash. Nintendo and Microsoft packs have now come true but with different characters. Now it's just the waiting game for the others.
So basically nothing changed except MC died for Steve.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Alright, well to me Steve's not as bad as Joker or another anime sword character getting in so whatever. I get his inclusion. It sucks though because Master Chief is in my top 3 with Geno and Crash and now his chances are dead.

HOWEVER, MC not being in I think increases Doomslayer's chances since they are pretty similar. And of course, that would increase Geno's chances because of the CacoMallow leak. So I think this is still good for us.

I think the next reveal will be at TGA's and I could see Doomslayer being shown there. I don't think Geno would make much sense for TGA's honestly, so we may be waiting until next Summer for Geno unfortunately. Hopefully I'm wrong.
again, maybe closer to march for geno?? because of the 25th aniversary next year. thats my theory

D

Deleted member

My guess is that we’ll be waiting until January for fighter 8.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
I don't care for Steve personally, but congratulations to all the Steve fans for getting their character.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
OH BOY, 3 MORE MONTHS FOR ANOTHER CHANCE
DON'T YOU GUYS LOOOOOOOOVE DRIP FEEDING? (not mad at Steve, mad at Nintendo.)
Welp, ****
Looks like we’ll have to wait until either a Fall Direct of some kind or The Game Awards at the very earliest

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Seriously, who is **** is 8?!? Steve is officially the first true Western character in Smash and he wasn't even supposed to be the E3 closer. I don't think you all grasp how significant that is. So, we now have 8, who by a decade and a half of E3 precedent is more than likely:

-a fan favorite

-90% third party

And again, this is supposed to be a character that tops Steve... That suggests an enormous fan favorite to me. It sucks that we're back to waiting but this is far from over.
So you’re thinking we just saw our “Villager”

And we‘re still waiting for our Mega Man?

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Geno is the 2nd E3 reveal, I'd imagine. Shame he isn't DLC 7, fighter 77, but I think Steve looks fun. Even for how unfitting and mod-like he looks, I love it! Congrats, Steve fans! :b:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom