• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So aside from Geno, who do we think has a good chance of showing up tomorrow? Here's my peace:
  • Waluigi - I think there's a decent chance he might just make the jump. He's in a similar boat to Geno, what with CP7 supposedly originally going to be an E3 reveal, and since this character is being revealed during the big Mario 35th celebration. Also similarly to Geno, he's one of the last big NEVER EVER characters around.
  • Rex & Pyra/Mythra - If Min Min taught us one thing, it's that Spirits don't disconfirm. But if Min Min taught us a second thing, and she did, it would be that Nintendo is not above going back to the proverbial well with this DLC, so to speak, to include the characters they wished they could've gotten in the base game. Rex's main issue was that his game just barely missed the boat for inclusion, leaving him only able to be represented by a Mii Costume and some music. But since we're in the second wave of DLC, a point wherein XC2 is already out, is massively popular and incredibly successful, I see no reason for them not to eventually get around to including him.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Came to hate SU over its run, not gonna lie - but for what it's worth, that's still best ship.

Any Geno leaks/hints yet? Or any at all? :geno: :geno:
Apart from the Imran Khan stuff and all the evidence we gathered, not much. Nintendo's done an excellent job of keeping these characters under wraps

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Man I wanna know the next character ASAP but every time HGV posts an blurry image leak it makes me feel weird. Btw she just posted another one if anyone was curious

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Around the time of the infamous Gamestop "leak" and just before the infamous first Partner Showcase, he and a few other noteworthy names mentioned Geno a bit and when the Partner Showcase dropped, they all started to claim it was a "joke"
Oh yeah! I remember that! “Good times” :ohwell:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I can't believe in less then 24 hours Geno might very likely be confirmed for Smash. It was a honor serving here with you guys. I'm going to miss Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's theorycrafting, QQS QQS and Enigma735 Enigma735 's passionate posts, @OffBi, Lord Woomy Lord Woomy , and Franco Geno Franco Geno 's meme posts I'm going to miss it all. It was fun speculating with you all in this thread for the past 2 years and I'm going to miss you all that are leaving after he is announced.
So this is the end of the line, huh? it feels surreal that tomorrow could be the day in wich everything changes.
If this really is the moment we all been waiting for then all i can say is that it was an honor being with you my fellow Geno comrades. even if Geno gets announced tomorrow i'll keep checking this place from time to time because not only this place has a special place in my heart but also you guys are the greatest friends one could ask for :nifty:

Colors

Smash Rookie
Man I wanna know the next character ASAP but every time HGV posts an blurry image leak it makes me feel weird. Btw she just posted another one if anyone was curious
It's literally the same picture she uploaded before (with a new filter), the same picture that was determined to be a pixelated Chibi-Robo.

The only thing she spoils is our time, our time wasted with all the nonsense she tweets that some people treat as gospel.

Last edited:

Naigumi

Smash Cadet

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Not to get everyone's expectations through the roof, but I am fairly certain this reveal is going to be a third-party for two big reasons.

1. This reveal was most likely planned to be revealed at what was supposed to be E3, and Nintendo always saves their hype reveals at that time, and let's be honest here, its very rare for a first party character to match the hype of some of the many highly speculated third-party characters. That's why I think a third-party reveal for E3 is almost always a given. And we do have past precedence of always having some sort of third-party announcement near E3:

***While Palutena was revealed at the main event in E3 2014, that E3 didn't go by without a third-party reveal as we got PAC-MAN revealed at the tournament.
***E3 2015 comes around and we get the reveal of Lucas and Roy, two highly requested Veterans that people wanted to see revealed, and Ryu, a third-party character.
***Some may argue Ridley was our only real character reveal in E3 2018, but then you realize that the "Everyone Is Here" trailer rapid-fire revealed every single character from past Smash games, which yes, includes returning third-party characters, and I always consider that trailer to be one massive trailer revealing all sorts of characters.
***And then last year's E3 was pretty noticeable as the E3 Smash reveals last year were entirely third-party centric, and were pretty massive characters. Hero, a conglomeration of characters from a wildly popular franchise in Japan, and Banjo, who was one of the most requested Smash characters for years.

Of course its possible that they may have only planned for Min Min to be that E3 reveal, but going off of this, I highly doubt that a semi-promotional first-party character with a niche fanbase and mixed reactions would have been our E3 reveal, and its very likely that they wanted to have their big third-party reveal at E3, but obviously COVID f***ed up their plans.

2. Another reason is because of how they announced this. It seems like Nintendo is really trying to build hype for this next character. When Byleth was about to be revealed, they revealed it in a way that seemed very, how do I put this, un-hype. They just kinda already made the Sakurai presentation and called it a day, and had Byleth release a week later. And then the ARMS character is revealed and we got no trailer and no specific character. All we got that day was that the fighter was from ARMS. It didn't even change much for speculation except for narrowing down who CP6 is. Now comparing those instances to this, it really seems like Sakurai and Nintendo wanted a reveal trailer ready before announcing this character, which if I were in their shoes, would be something I would totally wanna do if this was in fact a third-party character. The credibility for this becomes stronger when you even take in to consideration that they didn't even announce a Sakurai Presentation. Now, its totally possible that this character might not have a presentation, but I find that hard to believe given just how successful this format is. My guess is that Sakurai wants to announce this character via this reveal trailer, and then during Sakurai's message, he announces when he will present the fighter. If this is some exciting third-party character or at least a highly requested character, it would make a lot of sense for Sakurai to wanna build up hype by doing this, and it isn't too outlandish if you ask me.

But yeah, this is just my theorycraft on things and this is why I do expect a third-party character or some highly requested character tomorrow. I do acknowledge this post might age like milk come tomorrow and we get a f***ing Koopa Troopa as CP7, but things are looking very good for our boi, since he fills both checkboxes for being both a heavily requested character and a big third party reveal. I can tell tomorrow is going to be very fun and exciting, and let's also hope all of our wishes are granted. Geno is in. :geno:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Just imagine.

Trailer starts, we see Waluigi, Dixie, Rex, and Isaac fighting over the Smash invitation.
They all grab hold of it at the same time and it splits into four pieces.

Que:
Mark 3:45

Sakurai: yes, we're adding 4 more characters into the game, oh and here's our DLC Fighter #7 Geno, release date is... TODAY!!
Stay tuned for more information on Fighters Pass 2.
Thank you for watching.
Oh btw, here's a new trailer for Super Mario RPG 2.
See you next time. :ultkirby:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I still have no specific expectations, but if there is a delay of more than a week between reveal and release it would make sense to have prominent fighter that would immediately get people's eyes tomorrow and still keep their attention via sheer interest until the formal release date.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Just imagine.

Trailer starts, we see Waluigi, Dixie, Rex, and Isaac fighting over the Smash invitation.

Que:

Sakurai: yes, we're adding 4 more characters into the game, oh and here's our DLC Fighter #7 Geno, release date is... TODAY!!
Thank you for watching.
Sakurai: To give you a small hint of the next character, it's name starts with a G
Geno thread: Yes!
Sakurai: and ends with an O
Geno thread: OMG IT'S GENO!!!
Sakurai: Of course it's GIORNO GIOVANNA

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Just imagine.

Que:

Thank you for watching.
The internet would explode. Mostly from Nintendo making an explicit JoJo reference.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna lie, Imran’s “Green Day” joke related to this presentation kinda gets me nervous. Like, you can point to the forrest or Forrest Maze Star Piece being green, but that’s still not a colour that’s apart of Geno himself.

But then I remember his random past comments like “What if Geno was already in Smash as a Luma?” and how he’s yet to shoot down Geno, and my head begins to hurt.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I was woneringnfor the megampage jump and I found it character reveal tomorrow

Definitely keep your expectation in check here

Because I will tell you this right here right is crash 4 release a day after this presentation so might be crash

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, Imran’s “Green Day” joke related to this presentation kinda gets me nervous.
It's a joke people make every year. As long as I can remember, people having been saying stuff to the effect of "Wake Green Day up" every time October rolls around. I'm near sure it's been going since 2004 (the year the album came out). It's just a common joke based on the date of the reveal being on the same day people make the joke.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie, Imran’s “Green Day” joke related to this presentation kinda gets me nervous. Like, you can point to the forrest or Forrest Maze Star Piece being green, but that’s still not a colour that’s apart of Geno himself.

But then I remember his random past comments like “What if Geno was already in Smash as a Luma?” and how he’s yet to shoot down Geno, and my head begins to hurt.
I thought the Green Day comment was just the fact that they have a song called “Wake Me Up When September Ends” and the reveal’s on October 1st.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
It's a joke people make every year. As long as I can remember, people having been saying stuff to the effect of "Wake Green Day up" every time October rolls around. I'm near sure it's been going since 2004 (the year the album came out). It's just a common joke based on the date of the reveal being on the same day people make the joke.
I thought the Green Day comment was just the fact that they have a song called “Wake Me Up When September Ends” and the reveal’s on October 1st.
Ok. I’ve never heard that saying in my entire life until today, but hey my nerves are gone again time to keep feeling hype!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just to be sentimental for a moment, you all know I've been doing this for a long time and I wanted to talk about a long defunct Smash fanbase tradition. In the Brawl days, when a new character was revealed, people usually chose a song they felt was meaningful for the reveal. Back then, a lot of people posted things like "We Are the Champions" from Queen or simply the character's theme of they had one. For awhile now I've been thinking about my own theme that I feel summarizes my experience with supporting Geno all these years. Thought a long time about it and decided on this one:

It's Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. It's a classic American folk rock song that's come to mean a lot of things to a lot of people. A few years ago Stevie Nicks came out and cleared up a number of misconceptions about the song. She talked about that it is a love song but not towards a person, but towards music. She said when she wrote it in 1975 it was near the beginning of her musical career. She was traveling with a few people and putting on small shows but they were running out of money and motivation. They eventually found themselves in a small town in Colorado at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. They were broke as a joke, looking up at the mountains, she debated whether she should go back to school or continue playing music despite all the hardships and setbacks. This song was her ultimatum to herself.

The song sings about how it all seems futile but music means so much to her. As she laments, quitting music would crush her but her current career path was threatening to do that too. It's about holding onto things that are important to you, even things since childhood, and how it's rarely easy. "But time makes you bolder but even children get older and I'm getting older too" is such a gut punch of a lyric because I feel everybody has been in this situation before: you want to continue doing something you love but it's impractical or costly or somedays it feels pointless.

"And I'm getting older too..." And I certainly have. 15 years since starting actively supporting Geno for Smash and 24 years since Geno became my favorite video game character. A lot has changed in that time. I'm no longer a kid. I'm no longer a teen. Hell, I don't even qualify as a young adult anymore. But this is still important to me... Why?

My life's mostly great. Married, no debt, multiple degrees, physically fit and healthy, fully medicated, heavily involved in my community, confident to the point of annoyance in some, straight teeth, full head of hair, etc. Why is this important to me? Because it was important to me when I didn't have these things. It was important when I was a kid who would literally cry if left alone in the dark. It was important to me when I was an aloof teenager who could count his friends on one hand. It was important to me when I was a young college student and felt so directionless that I literally wanted to die. It was important to the grad student who was juggling multiple jobs, was in his first serious relationship in a decade, and was trying to avoid becoming an alcoholic like his uncles. In a way, Geno's been in the background of my personal story most of my life.

I know all those younger versions of me wanted to give up on one thing or another. I quit art and I quit music, two things I still often regret. I didn't want to quit on this though and I think a lot of it has to do with it being something I've literally carried since childhood. Nothing world changing: just to see my favorite video game character return at least one more time in a meaningful way. The adult side of me often asks why I bother but I keep trying to remind myself that it's important to hold onto what's important to you, no matter how seemingly trivial and that's why I'm here tonight because each time I've asked myself if I wanted to walk away, I've said no, and I'm happy for that.

So, this all said, we all come here on possibly the night before the big reveal and you all have your stories and personal journeys to this point. I'm happy to be here and to have met Geno fans from literally around the world. It means a lot to me that you all didn't give up and, because of you all, it's likely a big reason I didn't give up either. So, whatever tomorrow brings, let's have fun with it. If it's not the big day, let's keep pressing on until it is. Thank you all for your support over the years. Let's hope tomorrow is the day Geno comes home.

goodspeed87

Smash Journeyman
Dual Reveals are typically thematic huh...

IMAGINE the bois coming under heavy fire from baddies & muthatruckin’ MASTER CHIEF deploys into the fight & covers them.

MASTER CHIEF JOINS THE BATTLE!

The battle begins to look dire but then a star ROCKETS into the epicenter of the conflict, disrupting both sides until the dust settles. All you see is this blue cape tossing through the haze til it rests & a familiar, heroic voice chimes in, “a higher authority sent me to rescue you..” AND THEN the slow rumble of a BEAM CHARGING. Cut to the glint in his eye reflecting the light of seven stars.

GENO SHOOTS FOR THE STARS!

...imagine™️

Last edited:

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
Came to hate SU over its run, not gonna lie - but for what it's worth, that's still best ship.

Any Geno leaks/hints yet? Or any at all? :geno: :geno:
Sorry if you don’t like it. But I agree that Lapidot Is a great ship and one of my favorites!
Ok. I’ve never heard that saying in my entire life until today, but hey my nerves are gone again time to keep feeling hype!
Don‘t worry about anything, I’m sure tomorrow is gonna be a grand day for us all!

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just to be sentimental for a moment, you all know I've been doing this for a long time and I wanted to talk about a long defunct Smash fanbase tradition. In the Brawl days, when a new character was revealed, people usually chose a song they felt was meaningful for the reveal. Back then, a lot of people posted things like "We Are the Champions" from Queen or simply the character's theme of they had one. For awhile now I've been thinking about my own theme that I feel summarizes my experience with supporting Geno all these years. Thought a long time about it and decided on this one:

It's Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. It's a classic American folk rock song that's come to mean a lot of things to a lot of people. A few years ago Stevie Nicks came out and cleared up a number of misconceptions about the song. She talked about that it is a love song but not towards a person, but towards music. She said when she wrote it in 1975 it was near the beginning of her musical career. She was traveling with a few people and putting on small shows but they were running out of money and motivation. They eventually found themselves in a small town in Colorado at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. They were broke as a joke, looking up at the mountains, she debated whether she should go back to school or continue playing music despite all the hardships and setbacks. This song was her ultimatum to herself.

The song sings about how it all seems futile but music means so much to her. As she laments, quitting music would crush her but her current career path was threatening to do that too. It's about holding onto things that are important to you, even things since childhood, and how it's rarely easy. "But time makes you bolder but even children get older and I'm getting older too" is such a gut punch of a lyric because I feel everybody has been in this situation before: you want to continue doing something you love but it's impractical or costly or somedays it feels pointless.

"And I'm getting older too..." And I certainly have. 15 years since starting actively supporting Geno for Smash and 24 years since Geno became my favorite video game character. A lot has changed in that time. I'm no longer a kid. I'm no longer a teen. Hell, I don't even qualify as a young adult anymore. But this is still important to me... Why?

My life's mostly great. Married, no debt, multiple degrees, physically fit and healthy, fully medicated, heavily involved in my community, confident to the point of annoyance in some, straight teeth, full head of hair, etc. Why is this important to me? Because it was important to me when I didn't have these things. It was important when I was a kid who would literally cry if left alone in the dark. It was important to me when I was an aloof teenager who could count his friends on one hand. It was important to me when I was a young college student and felt so directionless that I literally wanted to die. It was important to the grad student who was juggling multiple jobs, was in his first serious relationship in a decade, and was trying to avoid becoming an alcoholic like his uncles. In a way, Geno's been in the background of my personal story most of my life.

I know all those younger versions of me wanted to give up on one thing or another. I quit art and I quit music, two things I still often regret. I didn't want to quit on this though and I think a lot of it has to do with it being something I've literally carried since childhood. Nothing world changing: just to see my favorite video game character return at least one more time in a meaningful way. The adult side of me often asks why I bother but I keep trying to remind myself that it's important to hold onto what's important to you, no matter how seemingly trivial and that's why I'm here tonight because each time I've asked myself if I wanted to walk away, I've said no, and I'm happy for that.

So, this all said, we all come here on possibly the night before the big reveal and you all have your stories and personal journeys to this point. I'm happy to be here and to have met Geno fans from literally around the world. It means a lot to me that you all didn't give up and, because of you all, it's likely a big reason I didn't give up either. So, whatever tomorrow brings, let's have fun with it. If it's not the big day, let's keep pressing on until it is. Thank you all for your support over the years. Let's hope tomorrow is the day Geno comes home.
It has been one long ride, and no matter what happens tomorrow, it's been an honor reading your stuff and speculating Geno and other Smash characters for such a long time

Droodle

Smash Lord
So just for fun I checked the replies to the Nintendo tweet for the upcoming reveal in 3 different regions (America, Japan, and under Sakurai own comment), to see which characters people want (in terms of replies and likes)

The NA tweet had by far the most comments you could call as "requests": Geno did pretty well, but had some backlash. Still probably either the 1st or 2nd most discussed character under the tweet. Sora to no surprise is right up there, doing as well as Geno, while getting a lot less backlash in comparison. Following those characters, were the standards of Crash, Dante, Rex, Phoenix Wright, and the like.

Underneath the Sakurai tweet things were a lot more tame in comparison: A good amount of requests for Crash, Dante, 2B, Rex; sadly very little discussion around Geno in comparison to the NA tweet.

Japan was the tamest by far, and it's not even close: There were very little requests in total, and very little variety in the requests. I can't read Japanese that well, so that may skewed the perception a bit; but from what I could tell it's mostly just excitement that a new character is being announced. The only characters that did get a significant amount of requests in terms of what I could tell were Bandana Dee, Crash, Arle, and Rex. There were some others like 2B, but they were far smaller in comparison.

Obviously, this means nothing in the grand scheme of things; just thought it would be interesting to see what kinds of characters dominate discussion in NA twitter and JP twitter.

Last edited:

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
Geno Thread I‘m really curious to know which Spirits do you think will Geno’s DLC Board will come with and what his Classic Mode will be like! It can really help pass the time, especially since tomorrow could be the day! Here I thought of what can our Star Boy come with and I go into detail on some of them as I can see any specific music playing over them!

I feel like his Spirits will be

-Mallow
-Bowyer
-Booster
-Boshi
-Valentina and Dodo
-Yardovich
-Toad Chancellor
-The Axem Rangers
-Exor (It would be hillarious if he can upgrade his spirit into him with Bowser’s Castle)
-Master Smithy (Who you can upgrade to his true form as a Legend Class Spirit)

I can see his Classic Mode being like this

“Legend Of The Seven Stars“ or “An RPG Adventure”

1st Battle represents Bowyer (Maybe Byleth or some other character) (Armed Boss Music)
2nd Battle represents Valentina and Dodo (Bayonetta and a huge Falco)
3rd Battle represents Yardovich (With possibly Palutena or Sheik)
4th Battle represents Booster (Red Wario who keeps running away) (That one chase theme in the game or simply his theme)
5th Battle represents The Axem Rangers (Probably Yoshi’s with weapons or something)
6th Battle represents Exor (Probably a giant Mii Sword Fighter)
Bonus Stage
7th Battle represents Master Smithy (Of course) I would love if Geno has an exclusive boss for him but that can’t really happen. As for who could represent him I’m not sure if Galleom would be the boss as their both machine like enemies or a Grey King Dedede who when defeated comes back giant, I’m not sure which one I feel that it will be, I would say King Dedede because he has a hammer, either way I can imagine the Fight Against Smithy theme playing!

Geno’s Ending Credits song will of course be Forest Maze with a picture of him fighting Piranha Plant and Waluigi or having a victory shot with Mario, Peach, and Bowser, maybe even Mallow if he’s involved in the stage Geno’s comes with, his taunt, or his final smash!

Bonus: Culex is a one of the Classic Mode battles or even a spirit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom