• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Just to be sentimental for a moment, you all know I've been doing this for a long time and I wanted to talk about a long defunct Smash fanbase tradition. In the Brawl days, when a new character was revealed, people usually chose a song they felt was meaningful for the reveal. Back then, a lot of people posted things like "We Are the Champions" from Queen or simply the character's theme of they had one. For awhile now I've been thinking about my own theme that I feel summarizes my experience with supporting Geno all these years. Thought a long time about it and decided on this one:

It's Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. It's a classic American folk rock song that's come to mean a lot of things to a lot of people. A few years ago Stevie Nicks came out and cleared up a number of misconceptions about the song. She talked about that it is a love song but not towards a person, but towards music. She said when she wrote it in 1975 it was near the beginning of her musical career. She was traveling with a few people and putting on small shows but they were running out of money and motivation. They eventually found themselves in a small town in Colorado at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. They were broke as a joke, looking up at the mountains, she debated whether she should go back to school or continue playing music despite all the hardships and setbacks. This song was her ultimatum to herself.

The song sings about how it all seems futile but music means so much to her. As she laments, quitting music would crush her but her current career path was threatening to do that too. It's about holding onto things that are important to you, even things since childhood, and how it's rarely easy. "But time makes you bolder but even children get older and I'm getting older too" is such a gut punch of a lyric because I feel everybody has been in this situation before: you want to continue doing something you love but it's impractical or costly or somedays it feels pointless.

"And I'm getting older too..." And I certainly have. 15 years since starting actively supporting Geno for Smash and 24 years since Geno became my favorite video game character. A lot has changed in that time. I'm no longer a kid. I'm no longer a teen. Hell, I don't even qualify as a young adult anymore. But this is still important to me... Why?

My life's mostly great. Married, no debt, multiple degrees, physically fit and healthy, fully medicated, heavily involved in my community, confident to the point of annoyance in some, straight teeth, full head of hair, etc. Why is this important to me? Because it was important to me when I didn't have these things. It was important when I was a kid who would literally cry if left alone in the dark. It was important to me when I was an aloof teenager who could count his friends on one hand. It was important to me when I was a young college student and felt so directionless that I literally wanted to die. It was important to the grad student who was juggling multiple jobs, was in his first serious relationship in a decade, and was trying to avoid becoming an alcoholic like his uncles. In a way, Geno's been in the background of my personal story most of my life.

I know all those younger versions of me wanted to give up on one thing or another. I quit art and I quit music, two things I still often regret. I didn't want to quit on this though and I think a lot of it has to do with it being something I've literally carried since childhood. Nothing world changing: just to see my favorite video game character return at least one more time in a meaningful way. The adult side of me often asks why I bother but I keep trying to remind myself that it's important to hold onto what's important to you, no matter how seemingly trivial and that's why I'm here tonight because each time I've asked myself if I wanted to walk away, I've said no, and I'm happy for that.

So, this all said, we all come here on possibly the night before the big reveal and you all have your stories and personal journeys to this point. I'm happy to be here and to have met Geno fans from literally around the world. It means a lot to me that you all didn't give up and, because of you all, it's likely a big reason I didn't give up either. So, whatever tomorrow brings, let's have fun with it. If it's not the big day, let's keep pressing on until it is. Thank you all for your support over the years. Let's hope tomorrow is the day Geno comes home.
Been an honor man.
If you're ever near Charlotte NC or Spartanburg SC, let me know. I'll get you a beer or some butternut squash.

To everyone else, I joined the Geno thread a long time ago. Wanted him in Brawl when I only lurked on Smashboards before I had an account. Soon enough tomorrow'll be here. Keep hyping all.

Been a heckuva ride, all.
7 star salute to everybody!

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
Been a long while since I posted here. I have to admit with all the speculation and information going around, I'm finding it super hard to keep my expectations in check this time around... so to hell with all that, TOMORROW'S FINALLY OUR DAY! I'm too far gone to hype responsibly so here's to our wishes finally coming true! Or to yet more crippling depression.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Remember how someone brought up that coincidentally in the history of Smash DLC, every 5th Fighter is from Square? Cloud is 5. Hero is 10. Now we’re waiting on the 15th fighter. May easily be a coincidence, but hopefully that 15 is Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
So we all assume we are only getting one character announced tomorrow right? Do you guys think we will get any more character announcements this year? I'm thinking maybe at the Game Awards, yes, but I also thought that for last year so who knows really.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So we all assume we are only getting one character announced tomorrow right? Do you guys think we will get any more character announcements this year? I'm thinking maybe at the Game Awards, yes, but I also thought that for last year so who knows really.
One more character reveal and potentially release by year's end isn't impossible.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So to help contribute to the ginormous hype going on here, here's a "greatest hits" of Smash Ultimate reveals...
I have various hopes for who this next character could be, from Geno, to Phoenix Wright, to Crash, to Doom Slayer... but whoever it ends up being, I just hope that Fighter 7 ends up being a desperately-needed return to 2018 and 2019, when most of Smash Ultimate's reveals were either ABSOLUTE LEGENDS OF GAMING or LONG AWAITED FAN FAVORITES that could get Smash fans hyped up to hell and back.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I think we're getting another this year. The fact that they decided not to wait on the full presents tells me they're planning a General sometime soon with a Sakurai Presents right after. And anytime there's a General Direct, Smash is present, so that's when I expect the next one.

I feel nervous. My heart feels tight.

And yet. I can't help but feel good vibes at the same time.

I hope this is a sign from the Star Haven. That everything's gonna be all right.

Man. This conflicting mess of feelings sucks. So much fright.

I hope it's all worth it tomorrow. One way or another, it feels like a make or break night.

I'll see you guys on the other side.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel nervous. My heart feels tight.

And yet. I can't help but feel good vibes at the same time.

I hope this is a sign from the Star Haven. That everything's gonna be all right.

Man. This conflicting mess of feelings sucks. So much fright.

I hope it's all worth it tomorrow. One way or another, it feels like a make or break night.

We’ll set him free one day... just one day...

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Yes and yes. They did specify that we're getting "a character" revealed tomorrow, so just one there. But I could definitely see another one get announced by the end of the year. Whether that's at the game awards, another presentation like this one, a direct, not really sure.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Wow last time I checked this thread we were at the start of page 300. Wishing Geno much luck tomorrow. Remember everyone, it's possible that tomorrow might finally be our day, but nothing is certain. Don't pull all your hopes into this.
We are all aware of that, but at the same time there's a lot going on in his favor right now. It's hard for quite a few to keep the hype contained

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Even if Geno is not in tomorrow, given what the leakers hinted and the evidence we have, the character who does get in may still be a surprise. It being a pleasant surprise is another story.

Noipoi

Howdy!
In 12 hours I’ll finally get to participate in my favorite smash reveal ritual. I’ll get up, turn my computer on, grab my favorite flavor of ice cream, watch an episode of It’s Always Sunny to waste some time, and tune into the livestream with my hype levels overflowing.

God, I’ve missed this...

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Geno Thread I‘m really curious to know which Spirits do you think will Geno’s DLC Board will come with and what his Classic Mode will be like! It can really help pass the time, especially since tomorrow could be the day! Here I thought of what can our Star Boy come with and I go into detail on some of them as I can see any specific music playing over them!

I feel like his Spirits will be

-Mallow
-Bowyer
-Booster
-Boshi
-Valentina and Dodo
-Yardovich
-Toad Chancellor
-The Axem Rangers
-Exor (It would be hillarious if he can upgrade his spirit into him with Bowser’s Castle)
-Master Smithy (Who you can upgrade to his true form as a Legend Class Spirit)

I can see his Classic Mode being like this

“Legend Of The Seven Stars“ or “An RPG Adventure”

1st Battle represents Bowyer (Maybe Byleth or some other character) (Armed Boss Music)
2nd Battle represents Valentina and Dodo (Bayonetta and a huge Falco)
3rd Battle represents Yardovich (With possibly Palutena or Sheik)
4th Battle represents Booster (Red Wario who keeps running away) (That one chase theme in the game or simply his theme)
5th Battle represents The Axem Rangers (Probably Yoshi’s with weapons or something)
6th Battle represents Exor (Probably a giant Mii Sword Fighter)
Bonus Stage
7th Battle represents Master Smithy (Of course) I would love if Geno has an exclusive boss for him but that can’t really happen. As for who could represent him I’m not sure if Galleom would be the boss as their both machine like enemies or a Grey King Dedede who when defeated comes back giant, I’m not sure which one I feel that it will be, I would say King Dedede because he has a hammer, either way I can imagine the Fight Against Smithy theme playing!

Geno’s Ending Credits song will of course be Forest Maze with a picture of him fighting Piranha Plant and Waluigi or having a victory shot with Mario, Peach, and Bowser, maybe even Mallow if he’s involved in the stage Geno’s comes with, his taunt, or his final smash!

Bonus: Culex is a one of the Classic Mode battles or even a spirit!
Made these a while back.
Spirits
My idea would be "Let's Get This Show On the Road!", and all of the battles are against characters who represent the Smithy Gang. Not sure what music tracks would be available, so I'll pick whichever fits from the base game.
  1. Tunic of the Wild!Link (Bowyer) on Geno's Stage (It's a forest stage) {Music track is Fight Against an Armed Boss}
  2. Male!Corrin (Yaridovich) (Red alt) on Omega Jungle Japes {Music track is Gritzy Desert, or And My Name's Booster if available}
  3. A Red, Yellow, Green, Pink, and Black Meta Knight (Axem Rangers) on Venom {Music track is Try, Try Again, or Barrel Volcano if available}
  4. Red Cloud (Boomer) on Castle Seige (2nd version, inside castle) {Music track is King Bowser}
  5. Ganondorf (Exor) on Omega Spear Pillar {Music track is The Grand Finale, or Weapons Factory if available}
  6. Grey King Dedede (Smithy) on Midgar {Music track is Bowser's Galaxy Generator, or Fight Against Smithy if available}
  7. Bonus Stage
  8. Galleom, with Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Male!Corrin (Mallow) as allies (Smithy's second form) {Music track is Fated Battle, or Fight Against Smithy, Who Likes Transforming if available}

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You know, I still think we should not be too overconfident about Geno, but given the evidence in our favor, it IS hard to...well, you all know...

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Even if Geno is not in tomorrow, given what the leakers hinted and the evidence we have, the character who does get in may still be a surprise. It being a pleasant surprise is another story.
To recap, if insiders' tweets are any indication, Monster Hunter, Pokemon (or any other character added just for promotion's sake), and Sora are off the table. Probably missing a few more, but I believe at least those three aren't gonna be it if insiders are correct here.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I hope we all don't get too upset or angry at whatever fanbase gets their character no matter what someone's gonna be happy and let's respect that!

Either way, I'm excited I have no idea what or who is coming tomorrow but I feel like Geno has the most evidence (based on all the random SMRPG posts by leakers at the same time and the skipped over tournaments and the Mario tournament being in November seems like a wacky coincidence if not all correlated). A 3 minute trailer is super exciting though. Most characters don't have one THAT long without some kind of gimmick or echo, so hopefully either way no matter what the show's entertaining!

JordanDropout

Smash Rookie
First post! I've been lurking this thread for a week now, had no idea that Geno had such a huge following here.
I really do hope he is revealed tomorrow, I'm excited but nervous. Me and my big bro played alot of Super Mario RPG and I've wanted Geno in the game since SM4SH, my big bro passed last week. Been a rough week but if Geno comes to smash I'll feel happy again if only for a couple moments. You guys are awesome and I hope everyone is pleased with the outcome of this. Don't know why I never made an account until now. Best of luck!

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Still catching up on the thread, but the 3min thing has me both concerned and happy. I was going to have trouble watching it live, so knowing it's just 3min and not some 40min monstrosity is nice.

That said, it means we are 100% just getting a trailer and Sakurai just saying "We're still making the pass, here's when you can get the fighter!" or something.

BTW, I was really convinced it was Geno until this was announced. Now I suddenly have this sinking feeling it'll be something completely out of left field. I know the Tracer leaks seem bogus to most in this thread, but weirder things have happened. I'm kind of expecting it at this point.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
First post! I've been lurking this thread for a week now, had no idea that Geno had such a huge following here.
I really do hope he is revealed tomorrow, I'm excited but nervous. Me and my big bro played alot of Super Mario RPG and I've wanted Geno in the game since SM4SH, my big bro passed last week. Been a rough week but if Geno comes to smash I'll feel happy again if only for a couple moments. You guys are awesome and I hope everyone is pleased with the outcome of this. Don't know why I never made an account until now. Best of luck!
Welcome aboard, Jordan!

MattX20

Smash Hero
Welcome to the thread

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I hope we all don't get too upset or angry at whatever fanbase gets their character no matter what someone's gonna be happy and let's respect that!

Either way, I'm excited I have no idea what or who is coming tomorrow but I feel like Geno has the most evidence (based on all the random SMRPG posts by leakers at the same time and the skipped over tournaments and the Mario tournament being in November seems like a wacky coincidence if not all correlated). A 3 minute trailer is super exciting though. Most characters don't have one THAT long without some kind of gimmick or echo, so hopefully either way no matter what the show's entertaining!
Getting angry at the character itself is fine in my eyes. But yeah don't **** all over the fans of those characters. There are definitely characters I don't want or care for AT ALL but it's all about video games in the end.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Still catching up on the thread, but the 3min thing has me both concerned and happy. I was going to have trouble watching it live, so knowing it's just 3min and not some 40min monstrosity is nice.

That said, it means we are 100% just getting a trailer and Sakurai just saying "We're still making the pass, here's when you can get the fighter!" or something.

BTW, I was really convinced it was Geno until this was announced. Now I suddenly have this sinking feeling it'll be something completely out of left field. I know the Tracer leaks seem bogus to most in this thread, but weirder things have happened. I'm kind of expecting it at this point.
Wasn’t that Tracer leak from a troll? Or was that something else?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Just to be sentimental for a moment, you all know I've been doing this for a long time and I wanted to talk about a long defunct Smash fanbase tradition. In the Brawl days, when a new character was revealed, people usually chose a song they felt was meaningful for the reveal. Back then, a lot of people posted things like "We Are the Champions" from Queen or simply the character's theme of they had one. For awhile now I've been thinking about my own theme that I feel summarizes my experience with supporting Geno all these years. Thought a long time about it and decided on this one:

It's Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. It's a classic American folk rock song that's come to mean a lot of things to a lot of people. A few years ago Stevie Nicks came out and cleared up a number of misconceptions about the song. She talked about that it is a love song but not towards a person, but towards music. She said when she wrote it in 1975 it was near the beginning of her musical career. She was traveling with a few people and putting on small shows but they were running out of money and motivation. They eventually found themselves in a small town in Colorado at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. They were broke as a joke, looking up at the mountains, she debated whether she should go back to school or continue playing music despite all the hardships and setbacks. This song was her ultimatum to herself.

The song sings about how it all seems futile but music means so much to her. As she laments, quitting music would crush her but her current career path was threatening to do that too. It's about holding onto things that are important to you, even things since childhood, and how it's rarely easy. "But time makes you bolder but even children get older and I'm getting older too" is such a gut punch of a lyric because I feel everybody has been in this situation before: you want to continue doing something you love but it's impractical or costly or somedays it feels pointless.

"And I'm getting older too..." And I certainly have. 15 years since starting actively supporting Geno for Smash and 24 years since Geno became my favorite video game character. A lot has changed in that time. I'm no longer a kid. I'm no longer a teen. Hell, I don't even qualify as a young adult anymore. But this is still important to me... Why?

My life's mostly great. Married, no debt, multiple degrees, physically fit and healthy, fully medicated, heavily involved in my community, confident to the point of annoyance in some, straight teeth, full head of hair, etc. Why is this important to me? Because it was important to me when I didn't have these things. It was important when I was a kid who would literally cry if left alone in the dark. It was important to me when I was an aloof teenager who could count his friends on one hand. It was important to me when I was a young college student and felt so directionless that I literally wanted to die. It was important to the grad student who was juggling multiple jobs, was in his first serious relationship in a decade, and was trying to avoid becoming an alcoholic like his uncles. In a way, Geno's been in the background of my personal story most of my life.

I know all those younger versions of me wanted to give up on one thing or another. I quit art and I quit music, two things I still often regret. I didn't want to quit on this though and I think a lot of it has to do with it being something I've literally carried since childhood. Nothing world changing: just to see my favorite video game character return at least one more time in a meaningful way. The adult side of me often asks why I bother but I keep trying to remind myself that it's important to hold onto what's important to you, no matter how seemingly trivial and that's why I'm here tonight because each time I've asked myself if I wanted to walk away, I've said no, and I'm happy for that.

So, this all said, we all come here on possibly the night before the big reveal and you all have your stories and personal journeys to this point. I'm happy to be here and to have met Geno fans from literally around the world. It means a lot to me that you all didn't give up and, because of you all, it's likely a big reason I didn't give up either. So, whatever tomorrow brings, let's have fun with it. If it's not the big day, let's keep pressing on until it is. Thank you all for your support over the years. Let's hope tomorrow is the day Geno comes home.
Great write-up Fatman. This message almost gave me tears in my eyes just because of your passion for this character to return again, and just to think that day could be tomorrow is really great.

I don't think I ever told you this myself, but I seriously appreciate your passion for this movement. 18 years is such a long time to be actively rooting for a character in Smash. I was only a baby in 2002, and that was the year you made an account on the Adult Swim forums to root for this character, and now that I have the ability and comprehension to use a computer and type full-on sentences, here is me as an 18 year old being able to speculate with someone who has been doing this since I couldn't even walk or talk. That is enough for me to have an incredible amount of respect for you and I seriously appreciate your passion for this character and to see him finally return in the limelight, even if it is just one game.

Here is hoping tomorrow can finally grant our wishes to see our star boi finally come home. Even if it isn't tomorrow, I still do believe Geno is coming. We gotta have hope!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom