• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritter

Smash Cadet
Not gonna bother making a worst timeline list but I will say that characters that I find very underwhelming to me (as I have probably said quite a number of times) are JRPG characters, shill picks where the advertising is the priority (i.e Corrin), and I'm generally tired of humanoid characters that punch or swing objects at each other. I really prefer the cartoony, wacky, or at least visually interesting newcomers like Wario, R.O.B, Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Sonic, Pacman, Duck Hunt, King Dedede, Game and Watch, etc.

So as someone who really wants Doomguy, Rayman, Crash, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Geno, etc., I would actually prefer characters like Bubsy over picks like Rex, Sora, and 2B because at least I can still have fun playing as an anthropomorphic bobcat that makes puns, much to the dismay of fans of other characters.
Same, I like all the cartoon/animal characters. My dream list is Dixie Kong, Crash, Spyro, Bomberman, and Rayman. Yooka-Laylee would also be cool, and I'd be happy with Geno, Toad, Waluigi, etc. I, too, would prefer Bubsy over a realistic human character (except classic Lara Croft or Master Chief).

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
All this talk of "Worst Timeline" got me thinking. What would you all consider the worst outcome for the fighter's pass? I mean, any outcome that doesn't include Geno is bad end, but how could it possibly be worst than that, while still being entirely possible? We always talk about our most wanted choices, but what about what we fear the most? I'll go first:

77: Urshifu
Even though I'm a Pokemon fan, I REALLY DO NOT want another Pokemon rep, especially one I have to pay for. Even though there's any number of Pokemon they could choose, Urshifu would just be Byleth all over again, only being chosen to promote the Pokemon DLC. Shameless.

78: Sora
This is a controversial pick, I'm sure. I don't dislike Sora and don't mean to upset his fans, but I think we Geno fans are collectively afraid of another Square rep being chosen and it NOT being Geno. Again, I like Sora, but whenever I think about a character I absolutely don't want to see in a reveal trailer, it's him. Sora being revealed would cause us to lose a lot of hope and would make the wait for the final three miserable. Plus, I'd rather have 2B or Neku over Sora any day, if Geno isn't an option.

79: Ratchet and Clank
This is a weird choice, because actually, I would love for them to be in the game. But one of these slots would likely be third party, and I had to think: What third party character is in demand the least, but still relevant enough to be picked? With the new game coming out, Ratchet and Clank have a good chance, but the "worst timeline" part of this is that they're being chosen over more demanded picks like Crash, Master Chief, Steve, Doomslayer and Dante. Ratchet wouldn't be a bad choice by any means, but not the one anyone would expect considering the competition (nor do I ever see him on any "Most Wanted" lists). Methinks there would be a lot of salty fans; More than any other third-party candidate. If it were based on my own personal preference, I would pick Dante for this spot instead, since I have the least attachment to him and would be least happy to see him. But since I'm basing this on what the "general consensus" thinks, and Dante is pretty popular, I went with Ratchet instead. Honestly, you can subsitute any unpopular third-party pick to this slot.

80: New Fire Emblem Protagonist
Considering how long it's going to take to finish the FP, its entirely possible we could see a whole new Fire Emblem game being announced and released before all the FP slots have been revealed. Imagine now, JUST IMAGINE, if Nintendo foresaw this and demanded Sakurai to reserve a slot just for this. The game and character don't even exist yet, but they want to plug them anyway. It's not beyond them. Remember, all the picks have already been "decided"; doesn't mean they've all begun development or even exist yet.

81: Captain Toad
No disrespect for Captain Toad or Toad in general, but really, imagine this. Its 2024, the world has fully recovered from the pandemic and is thriving and better than ever. We've survived the darkest times and we're all in high spirits as we wait for the announcement for the final character. Sakurai starts the hype train, revealing that the final character will be from the Mario franchise; a fitting end, it begins with Mario and ends with Mario. Geno and Waluigi fans wait on baited breath, as it can only be one of these two legends; only they are worthy to claim the final spot, the perfect end. The day finally comes and...
Its Toad.
It's just Toad.
All this waiting, all the strife... for Toad.
And Geno doesn't even return as a costume.

The miracle never happen.
Honestly, I have been so satisfied with Ultimate that their really isn't any character I really don't want. The only characters I am actively against are Jonesy from Fortnite, another FE rep, and Urshifu. Other than that, I wouldn't mind anyone. I think a lot of potential candidates for this second Fighters Pass sounds like neat additions and wouldn't really mind anyone else besides the ones I mentioned.

Their are some characters I would feel "meh" about, however. Shantae is a heavily requested character, yet I wouldn't really feel anything if she got included, and if she didn't get in, I wouldn't care. Same with other characters like Steve, Dante, Lloyd and Ryu Hayabusa. If they got in, cool. If they don't? That's fine as well.

Any other potential character would be characters I would be down with. My top three most wanteds, however, are characters I put on a grander scale and they would really be the only characters left where I would really jump out of my seat and scream to the top of my lungs.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well with the new Hyrule Warriors dropped on Twitter we can rule out a direct this week, probably month. Not that it's a surprise. We play this game every other week and the fabled direct never actually happens. I'm not expecting it until next year assuming HW is their holiday title. At least we should be getting a Sakurai presents sometime soon. That could still happen this month.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
On the bright side, if we get no Smash reveals at all for 2020, 2021 is gonna be jam-packed almost every 2 months with news to make the December 2021 Fighter's pass deadline.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Best Buy has updated that they will be getting reprints of the 4 champions coming Nov 20th. Did this connect to any rumors?

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I know, it's a controversial opinion but hey, not all opinions are good ones and it's honestly how I feel. To clarify, characters like Bubsy would be similar to a character like Pirahna Plant. No one asked for him, I personally find it funny, and I think he's a fun character to play as. That's how I imagine Bubsy or any ****-tier level request like him to be like.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Surprisingly enough people have differing opinions.
I acknowledged that, but Waluigi is in no case a worst-case scenario. Objectively speaking, there is no scenario where Waluigi's inclusion makes Smash Ultimate worse, barring something horribly anti-consumer happening. Adding him pleases huge sections of casual and hardcore Smash fans, finally rewards his underdog status, would show that Nintendo of Japan is listening to how much people love the character and bodes well for him possibly being considered more seriously as a Mario character.

This is one thing I can't really get behind: acting as if something so clearly positive is the worst thing to happen just because you have a personal bias against it. You can not like it and not want it, but do you have to act like it couldn't possibly be worse than that? That's very much like a child whining and crying because everyone was getting free ice cream and they also got some but it happened to not be the flavor they love, even though they didn't dislike they flavor they got. It's very childish to think in such a way.

Like, Ultimate could have ended with Byleth. Smash 4 could have been the last Smash game and have it end with Corrin and Bayonetta. Geno could have not been the next character in Fighter's Pass 2.

There are a lot of things that could be much MUCH worse than Waluigi's inclusion.

On this note, I will let you all know I don't have a 'worst-case-scenario' list. Once Geno gets revealed I'm down with any of character choices that are made and, hell, honestly? I'm down with them all anyway, as I always have been. I know Sakurai and his team can deal out fun and interesting characters to Smash so I rarely ever get truly upset about a character.

I got over Byleth the day they were announced; woke up the next day hoping to see cool tech with them and thinking about what characters would come next while the rest of the Smash fandom ******* about them even up to this day in some mild cases. As much as people in this thread tried to claim otherwise at the time, I wasn't ever upset about an ARMS rep as much as I was initially confused, and yet again I got over it in a day's time. Sure, I mentioned how it felt like it was a missed opportunity for more-requested first party characters and I argued about how it was clearly a self-promotional Nintendo pick, but I was already excited to see how this kind of gameplay that ARMS had would transition to Smash.

This will ring true no matter who makes it into the roster. The worst case scenario for me is the inevitable day when future content for this game comes to a close and the doors of development are locked tight because then we will have no more new content to speculate about and look forward to.

Just keep churning out fun characters to play, Sakurai and Co. Keep the good times rolling, man.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'll be real, I'm a rare case of person who simply enjoys expanding the available content in his Smash game, from Fighters to Mii outfits, because generally speaking, I love Smash, and I love having as much of this massive roster as I possibly can. However, in addition to my need to keep things filled out, the game these days tends to be less about me, and more about everyone else I share this game with. I may not be super-keen on fighters like Byleth, or Min Min, personally, but there are always going to be fans of these picks, and I feel it's only fair to make sure that the options are available for folks that I play with.

That being said...

If you really want to talk worst-case scenario for Smash Bros. Ultimate, then quite frankly, a hypothetical scenario involving the outright cancellation of the current remainder of Fighter's Pass 2 would probably be as Worst-Case as you could get.

QQS

Smash Lord
Crash just turned 24 years today at 9/9.
Then SuperMario 35 officially on 9/13. And Nintendo 131 at 9/23. Geno also is 24 years.

Double reveal coming: Geno#77 and Crash#78.
or maybe both as single reveals. But they are coming, believe it! September reveal and October download for Geno.

Also I think we can finally have another Zelda non-triforce rep. My favorite there is Skull Kid but I think a Champion is happening. For the sake of history, I just see Daruk or Mipha between those 4 as a Champion’s rep due to how iconic Gorons and Zoras are.

Stay trusty to Geno playable!

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Anybody remember this?
I do.

I remember watching this on YouTube back in the late 2000's, back when I was still a kid watching Mario videos that weren't for good boys and girls, and it was my first exposure to Super Mario RPG. Always takes me back whenever I watch it.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
If you really want to talk worst-case scenario for Smash Bros. Ultimate, then quite frankly, a hypothetical scenario involving the outright cancellation of the current remainder of Fighter's Pass 2 would probably be as Worst-Case as you could get.
I'm having PTSD flashbacks to when Square Enix cancelled 3/4ths of FFXV's second season of DLC out of nowhere reading that.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I do.

I remember watching this on YouTube back in the late 2000's, back when I was still a kid watching Mario videos that weren't for good boys and girls, and it was my first exposure to Super Mario RPG. Always takes me back whenever I watch it.
Ironically the guy who made this was almost in Smash as a VA stares at avatar

Anyways I think a General Direct chance is done for this year. Partner Direct, a Pokemon thing for Snap/Tundra and a Sakurai Presents will see us off. Maybe one Twitter reveal for a smaller or Eshop only game.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
All this talk of "Worst Timeline" got me thinking. What would you all consider the worst outcome for the fighter's pass?
Alright, time to piss people off. In no particular order, and based off of realistic character choices and not dumb meme **** like Bubsy:

-= #77 - Sora or 2B =-
Now before anyone goes to bite my head off, I'd like to stress that I don't have anything personal against either of these characters or the people who want them. It's just mainly that I would much prefer we get Geno instead of these two, and as such I would be disappointed if they got in. There's also my general disinterest in either of their series', as well as the fact that both of these character's fans tend to over-estemate their chances constantly. And the fact that, despite many Smash fans being sick and tired of sword users, they for some reason give characters like these a pass as if their swords are somehow more unique than any other swordfighter's.

-= #78 - Insert New/Relevant Nintendo Character Here =-
Are you sick and tired of people suggesting that every new or relevant Nintendo character should be in Smash? Hey, me too! I honestly don't understand why people keep trying to push this overused meme. Like I get that maybe you want to give some of the new kids on the block a bit of attention, potentially making them into the next K. Rool for the inevitable post-Ultimate Smash entry. But when their games have literally just been announced and you don't know a damn thing about them, or even if their game is any good, maybe consider waiting for a bit before you start campaigning for them to brawl with Mario and Pikachu. It makes your support of them sound very disingenuous.

And then there's relevancy, by which I mean relevancy to the current gaming landscape. Basically, if this character has just had a game within the past 2-3 years, then they qualify. Characters like Rex & Pyra, Akira Howard, BotW!Zelda, and Captain Toad fit within this framework, and out of these four the only one I'm willing to give a pass is Rex & Pyra because at least their game is massively popular and they were actually considered for base game. BotW!Zelda in particular kind of annoys me because we already have a Zelda on the roster and Sakurai has already stated that he passed up on including her because she wasn't much of a fighter. It doesn't help that BotW Musou just got announced and showed BotW!Zelda fighting using the Sheikah Slate, so now everyone's convinced she's a shoe-in.

-= #79 - Insert Gen VIII Pokemon Here =-
Probably one of the most disappointing picks for me would be yet another Pokemon character. Pokemon is already massively over-represented in Smash, and even got a brand new Pokemon in the base game, we really don't need another one. What makes this one particularly annoying for me is not only how adamant people are that we'll get one as DLC, but also because we once again have to listen to the "MUH TRIFECTA!" tardigrades once again begging for that Pokemon to be Rillaboom so we can finally have a fully-evolved Fire-Water-Grass Starter trio, which is apparently something we need.

Also, I'm well aware that this section could also extend to another Fire Emblem character, but given we already have Byleth I think it's safe to say we won't be getting another one in Vol. 2.

-= #80 - Insert Third-Party Character Nobody Really Wants Here =-
Similarly to #78 above, only for third-party characters. Basically, any Overwatch character, any Fortnite character, Freddy Fazbear, etc. They're characters that few-to-no people actually want for Smash, yet for some reason are bandied about as though they're actually super likely, even if only jokingly. I guess this also sort of extends to any random obscure JRPG characters as well, but at least random obscure JRPG characters can occasionally be interesting.

-= #81 - An Underwhelming Finisher =-
Kind of non-specific, I know, but I'm really hoping the last character for Vol. 2 isn't some completely boring character. Smash has always has this tendency of ending things off with a character who isn't bad per se, but not really all that exciting. To wit: Ultimate's base game ended with Incineroar, and Vol. 1 ended with byleth. For Vol. 2, I want them to go all out with the last one. I want them to make it someone that'll get people talking, really make people lose their ****, like Waluigi or Master Chief.

Anybody remember this?
I remember when they first posted Rawest Forest.
Sweet, sweet Rawest Forest...
...I always HATED IT!!

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Anybody remember this?
I honestly have grown a bit of resentment towards Rawest Forest, mostly because people use it as an excuse for it being the only reason Geno got popular.

Because like... 1. No, it wasn't.

2. If it did help, which it did, what's the problem with that? If Rare genuinely did nothing with Banjo at ALL past the first game, do people just think he'd be forgotten? No, he'd live on through fan media the same way Geno has. The character and the game itself is what draws people to a character so many years later, not just the media made for them.

Last edited:

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
I mean I'm not a Waluigi fan but that's mostly because as someone who supported Daisy, a lot of Waluigi fans in the Brawl days yelled at me that "your Mario character is a dumb, irrelevant clone that's only in spinoffs!" then would go and support Waluigi... SO it's a chip on my shoulder I haven't been able to let go of. 🤷‍♂️

People who supported Geno were always more chill when you brought up Daisy.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Somewhat related to the earlier Zelda news - ever since Hyrule Warriors came out, I've wondered if a Mario Warriors could be possible. Mario already has a pretty decent amount of potential weapons to choose from between hammers, shells, and golf clubs - and someone using a Piranha Plant as a weapon isn't too out there. And that's not even getting into things like the Poltergust. It's not even like things would have to be censored too much, since enemies just explode into smoke when they're defeated in Mario games.

Obviously, with the sprawling casts of Warriors games, there'd be a good opening to finally get some use out of all of the neglected characters in the Mario series, Geno and Mallow included. They could finally stop pretending only the various colors of generic toads exist and bring Toadsworth out of retirement. They might even remember that Wart exists. And if we actually got SMRPG characters involved, I know I'd definitely want to play as the Smithy Gang members, and even Booster and Johnny have a lot of moveset potential in that sort of game.

It's probably something they wouldn't do with how 'safe' they've been keeping the Mario series, but they have so much to work with that they wouldn't even really have to think about anything too deeply to get it done.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Not gonna bother making a worst timeline list but I will say that characters that I find very underwhelming to me (as I have probably said quite a number of times) are JRPG characters, shill picks where the advertising is the priority (i.e Corrin), and I'm generally tired of humanoid characters that punch or swing objects at each other. I really prefer the cartoony, wacky, or at least visually interesting newcomers like Wario, R.O.B, Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Sonic, Pacman, Duck Hunt, King Dedede, Game and Watch, etc.

So as someone who really wants Doomguy, Rayman, Crash, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Geno, etc., I would actually prefer characters like Bubsy over picks like Rex, Sora, and 2B because at least I can still have fun playing as an anthropomorphic bobcat that makes puns, much to the dismay of fans of other characters.
hmm, I understand that opinion. Jrpg characters tend to look very similar. try to explain the differences between all the fire emblem to a casual player. They might as well be freaking sentai character. I think it´s more of a problem of the character design in smash.
Simon is *** developed but he doesn´t even look anime-ish.

ZerBerry

Smash Cadet
As a Mario fan since +20 years and as a huge fan of Sunshine and Galaxy, I say this without any hesitation :
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Camality >>>>>>>>>>>> Mario 3D All Stars... Hell, I could even say : Playable Mipha in HW >>>>>>> Mario 3D All Stars
I hope the roster would have more characters than just The Champions because if not, damn that roster would be the smallest ever for a DW. HW is great and as much as I'd like Skull Kid and Midna, I don't think they'll appear at all since it's focused on what happened in BoTW, before Link goes ZzZzzzzZ... but who knows, since it's a prequel, maybe we'll get other characters maybe from other games, probably Impa. As for the gameplay, I expect nothing but good ****. It's HW after all.

I would actually prefer characters like Bubsy over picks like Rex, Sora, and 2B because at least I can still have fun playing as an anthropomorphic bobcat that makes puns, much to the dismay of fans of other characters.
Ewww, typical US Westerner mindset ! :gawmelee: Also one wtf character is enough, we don't need another one, especially if you pay for him. It's wouldn't even be funny at all, it would generate legit backlash from fans against devs because that means some people paid to get the entire FP and they got this waste of space character from the worst 3D game ever, and that backlash would be understandable. I'd rather cancel the whole FP than having someone like that just because of "haha le wtf character xDDDDD"

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
My guess at the roster

1.Link
2.Zelda
3.Impa
4.Purah
5.Robbie
6.Mipha
7.Daruk
8.Urbosa
9. Revali
10.Kilton
11.King of Hyrule
12.Yiga Boi
13. Baby Sidon
14. Waterblight
15. Thunderblight
16. Fireblight
17. Windblight
18. Korok
19. Guardian
20. GanonCorpse
21. Beedle
Very good line up, but allow me to make a suggestion
AD61578B-CE72-4EAA-BFA5-EC877D63B69D.jpeg

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So guys, what is the latest thus far that a Sakurai Presents has been announced?

I feel like we've had later day announcements but I'm unsure and currently too busy to investigate.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So guys, what is the latest thus far that a Sakurai Presents has been announced?

I feel like we've had later day announcements but I'm unsure and currently too busy to investigate.
Well, the latest was Friday June the 19th and the following Monday was MinMin's presentation

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

I think we’ve had announcements in the equivalent of half an hour, or an hour-and-a-half, from now. And of course announcements this year have been less consistent anyway, best exemplified by the first Partner’s Showcase being not-quite-shadowdropped

Heoj

Smash Ace
Isnt it unusual for a shadowdropped zelda game to show up on a tuesday or is it just me? Like wasnt paper mario revealed on a thursday. I definitely dont want to get too excited/hopeful but could something potentially show up on thursday or friday

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Ewww, typical US Westerner mindset ! :gawmelee: Also one wtf character is enough, we don't need another one, especially if you pay for him. It's wouldn't even be funny at all, it would generate legit backlash from fans against devs because that means some people paid to get the entire FP and they got this waste of space character from the worst 3D game ever, and that backlash would be understandable. I'd rather cancel the whole FP than having someone like that just because of "haha le wtf character xDDDDD"
Dude, I fully understand that my opinion is **** to a lot of people and all and speaking your mind is fine but did you really need to insult me with this "typical US westerner mindset" crap? Yes, I am a westerner. How dare I not like Japenese RPGs and others games besides Nintendo and select others? Also, I never said I was actually rooting for Bubsy in Smash. I said I just would prefer him over others because I don't have a damn hate boner for him compared to everyone else (granted I never played any Bubsy games but still).

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Before, I was hopeful for Smash news this month. Then finding out that Nintendo's marketing are in charge of the reveals, I hope we get Smash news this decade.

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I think we’ve had announcements in the equivalent of half an hour, or an hour-and-a-half, from now. And of course announcements this year have been less consistent anyway, best exemplified by the first Partner’s Showcase being not-quite-shadowdropped
So we've never gotten a Mr. Mr. Sakurai Presents announced later than 10 AM CST?

Welp, anything can happen I suppose. We still have a little over 30 mins for our normal timeframe for today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom