• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
So do you guys think we can reach page 3500 before Geno is announced? You know, Mario's 35th anniversary/page 3500? 'Crickets'
depends on if nintiendo keeps delaying the reveal, at this point im just wondering when they plan to reveal the ones after 7. whether or not they will space them out with small gaps in time, or just drop all they have at once, then go back to having a few months between them

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I think we all should brace ourselves for the idea that Geno MAY not be in this sequel! After all, Paper Mario changed it's characters ever game. Maybe he'd be an NPC this time around?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So, what time/day/week/millenia are people theorizing that we should look out for for Nintendo or Smash news? I don't NEED to play the character now; just knowing who they are would be nice.

Also, these rumors on the SMRPG sequel: do any of them translate into proof of Geno being in Smash, or is it one of those 'because he is confirmed in X, then its a better possibility that he could be in Y, but not guaranteed'?

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I think we all should brace ourselves for the idea that Geno MAY not be in this sequel! After all, Paper Mario changed it's characters ever game. Maybe he'd be an NPC this time around?
the sequel is being made because of high fan demand from smash, geno not being in it would defeat the entire point of it being a sequal
edit: if anyone might not be in it, mallow is at far more risk

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
There is a chance they’d delay the Mallow costume, if he exists, to not blow the cover of DoomGuy because I’m sure they know about the leak. If this kind of tip toeing does take place I really hope they aren’t spiting the fans over the leakers because I’d much rather know nothing and have Geno come sooner than know 100% insider info and have them tantrum shelf the fighters to the end of the pass...

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
So the other times we didn't get a weekly event, did we get some kind of update before the next event? In just over two days it will be time for another event, so is it maybe possible we will see something tomorrow or early Tuesday?

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, what time/day/week/millenia are people theorizing that we should look out for for Nintendo or Smash news? I don't NEED to play the character now; just knowing who they are would be nice.

Also, these rumors on the SMRPG sequel: do any of them translate into proof of Geno being in Smash, or is it one of those 'because he is confirmed in X, then its a better possibility that he could be in Y, but not guaranteed'?
My guess for this week, and I admit I can be wrong when it comes to guessing dates, is no later than Wednesday for a Sakurai Presents announcement and Thursday at the latest for the video reveal for FP7

Yoro

Smash Rookie
Hi! I wanted to ask if we don't get anything this week in terms of Smash/SMRPG 2/Remake news, when do you guys think we'll have another chance at news?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Square Enix's recent efforts in remaking the Mana games are the only thing that's letting me taking the idea of a Mario RPG remake/sequel even slightly seriously, and even then I'm still deeply skeptical. Given that the biggest collaborations between Nintendo and SE in the last 15 years have been Mario Sports games and Fortune Street on Wii, the notion that they they decided to work together again on a follow-up to SMRPG is a bit much to believe.

Geno in Smash would be huge, but at the end of the day its still a single DLC character in a game, so it still seems plausible, especially in a post Ridley/K Rool/Banjo world. Mario RPG getting another installment in some form is stretching credibility a bit, especially given what it would have to entail by the two major parties involved.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Square Enix's recent efforts in remaking the Mana games are the only thing that's letting me taking the idea of a Mario RPG remake/sequel even slightly seriously, and even then I'm still deeply skeptical. Given that the biggest collaborations between Nintendo and SE in the last 15 years have been Mario Sports games and Fortune Street on Wii, the notion that they they decided to work together again on a follow-up to SMRPG is a bit much to believe.

Geno in Smash would be huge, but at the end of the day its still a single DLC character in a game, so it still seems plausible, especially in a post Ridley/K Rool/Banjo world. Mario RPG getting another installment in some form is stretching credibility a bit, especially given what it would have to entail by the two major parties involved.
True, but with Alpha Dream going bankrupt and them wanting to take Paper Mario in another direction, maybe Nintendo still wanted a traditional RPG Mario game so they went to Square.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
There is a chance they’d delay the Mallow costume, if he exists, to not blow the cover of DoomGuy because I’m sure they know about the leak. If this kind of tip toeing does take place I really hope they aren’t spiting the fans over the leakers because I’d much rather know nothing and have Geno come sooner than know 100% insider info and have them tantrum shelf the fighters to the end of the pass...
Unless we actually do get a double reveal... in which case Doomguy (Assuming he IS coming to Rip and Tear) would be shown and the deal is then done. The weird thing to ME about Doomguy is that the Vault Boy Mii Costume is already here and they did NOT save that Bethesda character for Doomguy... unless they are super hardcore about branding Doom as "Id Software" instead of "Bethesda/Zenimax" and therefore Vaultboy isn't invited to Doomguy's party. I still have questions about the whole Cacomallow thing, tbh. I REALLY WOULD LOVE DOOMGUY, but I'm not quite buying into him being real JUST YET the way I am with Geno.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
You know what would be torture? If Sakurai comes on and says “This week, Sakurai presents a Mario fighter! Tune in Thursday!”😫

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah while the Newcomer Speculation thread has a lot of cool people, discussion in there tends to be toxic especially when someone brings up Geno or Fatman and then you’ll have people who believe their assumptions are 100% correct no-possibility-of-being-wrong thinking Fatman is a lying sociopath and Geno fans are delusional and crazy.

Like, there’s no evidence for Fatman being a big-time liar anyway. Quite the opposite, actually, and he even stresses how his predictions are just that, predictions, with info from contacts (and, in the past, a certain discord) not being the only thing he relies on even and knowing it’s not all full-proof. And when it comes to all of us Geno supporters as a whole, seriously? While some of the evidence we have may be circumstantial and doesn’t mean much, some of it is legitimately good-looking and honestly people in that thread do the same frickin’ thing for other characters with less evidence just because the characters are big, but I don’t see anyone calling them delusional or way too optimistic.

Heck, just for thinking Cacomallow was still plausible and hoping people could be more civil/kind to each other over it, I was called delusional, even with me just being neutral or leaning on fake. Believing in anything that wasn’t “100% fake” was considered delusional. The user who called me that and/or another even tried saying it was an “unhealthy” mindset and they even tried frickin’ equating it to Flat Earthers being unhealthy/denying the facts (and really who cares about them either? It may seem weird, but they’re still human beings...). Oh yes, we’re the ones being unhealthy and crazy over videogame speculation...

Now to be honest, that was a few months or so back, and I think I made a mistake too even if I was trying to be respectful, but still I think it serves as an example and it still bugs me to think about (which isn’t often, only when really thinking about the thread or coming across the certain user...).

I guess it is a bit unhealthy to discuss that thread like this, though, but good frickin’ gosh...but yes I guess there’s no real point in discussing this, it’s not like it’s gonna help and we just have to live with these kinda things I guess...

People getting up in arms over Operation Starfall helping a charity fund was also pretty stupid.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Following the discussion so far,

On the topic of order of reveal if a SMRPG remake or sequel is real
I'd see it more likely that they would reveal Geno for Smash first, and then reveal the SMRPG remake (or sequel) a-la Isabelle and Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Many AC fans lost their minds with both reveals in succession. A similar scenario would ensue for Geno and SMRPG fans (would be really looking forward to the reactions from some of the SMRPG speedrunners).

On the topic of what would be the potential main plot for a SMRPG sequel
Albeit in the original SMRPG the Smithy gang was defeated, we must not forget that as Geno states in the game, the Smithy gang came from another dimension, and were constantly bringing new weaponized enemies to the Mushroom Kingdom via Exor. Smithy's factory was destroyed but, what if that was simply one factory out of many? It'd be interesting if they followed the story with exploring the dimension (or world) from where Smithy came from; perhaps introducing characters (and mainly bosses) who dwarf Smithy's power (and factory). This could add not only a greater sense of threat to the Star Road, but also to the entire Mushroom Kingdom (by this I mean the World).

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Regarding a Super Mario RPG 2: Lunatic's Bravado:

The main party members: Would they just be the usual "Mario, Peach, Mallow, Geno, and Bowser" or would they add new characters too? And then would they make like NEW characters ala Geno and Mallow or would they just add Wario, Waluigi, Yoshi the Party Member, Rosalina, Daisy, etc some preexisting character like that?

AND would they change the battle system all that much or would it be "The same as before but you can have all 5 characters at once in battle instead of swapping between 3, one of which MUST be Mario" ?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

The main party members: Would they just be the usual "Mario, Peach, Mallow, Geno, and Bowser" or would they add new characters too? And then would they make like NEW characters ala Geno and Mallow or would they just add Wario, Waluigi, Yoshi the Party Member, Rosalina, Daisy, etc some preexisting character like that?

AND would they change the battle system all that much or would it be "The same as before but you can have all 5 characters at once in battle instead of swapping between 3, one of which MUST be Mario" ?
I'd love to see them give the combat system a FF IV vibe to it, allowing for five party members at a time during combat. As for party members,
  • Mario (of course)
  • Luigi (he was going to be in SMRPG originally)
  • Toad (he finally brings his bazooka)
  • Yoshi (too good to race)
  • Bowser (he's jealous that he's not the main villain, again, and his minions got hi-jacked)
  • Peach (now with a degree in BUSTING ***)
  • Mallow (Prince Mallow... or King perhaps by now)
  • Geno ("aw ****, here we go again)
  • [insert original, Mario themed character here] (could be an optional character to recruit)
  • [insert original, Mario themed character here] (could be another optional character to recruit)

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I'd love to see them give the combat system a FF IV vibe to it, allowing for five party members at a time during combat. As for party members,
  • Mario (of course)
  • Luigi (he was going to be in SMRPG originally)
  • Toad (he finally brings his bazooka)
  • Yoshi (too good to race)
  • Bowser (he's jealous that he's not the main villain, again, and his minions got hi-jacked)
  • Peach (now with a degree in BUSTING ***)
  • Mallow (Prince Mallow... or King perhaps by now)
  • Geno ("aw ****, here we go again)
  • [insert original, Mario themed character here] (could be an optional character to recruit)
  • [insert original, Mario themed character here] (could be another optional character to recruit)

I vote Wario and Daisy as side quest optional recruits.

Daisy being a sports themed character. Has a bunch of specials and attacks involving kicking soccer balls, slam dunks, boxing gloves, etc. Some sports themed sidequest can recruit her. More attack and combo oriented than Peach who is "the healer"

Wario being "the big bonus brute". Gotta pay him a TON OF MONEY in a sidequest to get him to show up, but he is big, strong, and he can fart so hard he attacks all enemies on screen or even just run his motorcycle through the enemies, basically his attacks often either do high damage or they attack multiple enemies at once, making Wario "the secret nuke".

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
So the other times we didn't get a weekly event, did we get some kind of update before the next event? In just over two days it will be time for another event, so is it maybe possible we will see something tomorrow or early Tuesday?
I honestly think that given the spirit events and themed tourneys are announced Wednesday, there’s a good chance there will be something announced Tuesday. Unless they’ve changed their ingame event cycle or are making them biweekly instead of weekly. I don’t think the Mario Direct makes any sense to be the reason to not have something this week, especially when something so simple as something like “Get all these green spirits!” would be to impossibly easy to implement.

You know what would be torture? If Sakurai comes on and says “This week, Sakurai presents a Mario fighter! Tune in Thursday!”😫
That wouldn’t be torture, that would be a godsend. If people have been waiting 20 years to get Geno in Smash, waiting 4 days until Thursday would in comparison be the easiest thing ever. (Assuming that Geno would be the Mario character, which is probably pretty safe if that’s the announcement. Though I guess Waluigi or Toad/Toadette could be possible.)

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

A lot of RPGS tend to change party members for each game. TTYD brought in brand new characters to replace the n64 cast, so im sure some new faces will show up, likely brand new characters debuting in that specific game.

Im actually scared of the possibility that Geno and Mallow may not return to the hypothetical sequel, especially if the story revolves around something outside of the Seven Stars. We take Geno granted for a possible SMRPG sequel, but seeing how many RPGS change their cast for each installment im actually worried a little here.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
@BananaSlammer , your apology has some wonderful intentions, and I think you're a pretty rad dude, but here's the deal:

The people who spread libel and slander about the Starlight Foundation charity drive do not deserve your apologies.

Let me be perfectly goddamn clear. I may not lead OS anymore, but I do have input in decisions, and I 100% loved the Starlight Foundation idea. I helped greenlight it. Why? Because I, as someone who was once homeless and was a massive victim of poverty, thought it was a great opportunity to do some good. We'd be like literal Genos, granting the wishes of kids who are pleading to the stars for their hopes and dreams to come true. It has nothing to do with 'buying our way into Smash', especially because... how the literal hell would that even work? Oh yes, Sakurai saw our good deeds, which means there will be a corporate overhaul of any and all plans to make sure Geno is playable!! HAHAHA, give me a goddamn break.

I do not condone harassing these individuals, but there is nothing wrong with making them hold accountability. Foul actions will have foul consequences, and that is not the fault of our fan base. If they're the ones whining about doing good things for kids because of petty Smash beef, that is all on them. They do not deserve kindness and respect unless they own up to being terrible about the situation. If they ever did do that, do let me know, but as long as I'm in the realm of them having not done so, then the ire is completely justified. None of us are in the wrong. I don't give a damn if Geno gets in or not compared to the fact that we raised some good money for those kids, and we used OS not just for what we want, but also for a fantastic cause, something greater than any ol' campaign for a video game.

"But you're being harsh!"

So were they. In fact, the personally loaded accusations are ****ing hurtful. It's deeply hurtful. Oh, but no, we're supposed to just take it and shut up, being literal doormats. Sorry, but I'm not a doormat, and I won't apologize for holding people to their actions. Period.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I vote Wario and Daisy as side quest optional recruits.

Daisy being a sports themed character. Has a bunch of specials and attacks involving kicking soccer balls, slam dunks, boxing gloves, etc. Some sports themed sidequest can recruit her. More attack and combo oriented than Peach who is "the healer"

Wario being "the big bonus brute". Gotta pay him a TON OF MONEY in a sidequest to get him to show up, but he is big, strong, and he can fart so hard he attacks all enemies on screen or even just run his motorcycle through the enemies, basically his attacks often either do high damage or they attack multiple enemies at once, making Wario "the secret nuke".
i would go with booster over wario

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
@BananaSlammer , your apology has some wonderful intentions, and I think you're a pretty rad dude, but here's the deal:

The people who spread libel and slander about the Starlight Foundation charity drive do not deserve your apologies.

Let me be perfectly goddamn clear. I may not lead OS anymore, but I do have input in decisions, and I 100% loved the Starlight Foundation idea. I helped greenlight it. Why? Because I, as someone who was once homeless and was a massive victim of poverty, thought it was a great opportunity to do some good. We'd be like literal Genos, granting the wishes of kids who are pleading to the stars for their hopes and dreams to come true. It has nothing to do with 'buying our way into Smash', especially because... how the literal hell would that even work? Oh yes, Sakurai saw our good deeds, which means there will be a corporate overhaul of any and all plans to make sure Geno is playable!! HAHAHA, give me a goddamn break.

I do not condone harassing these individuals, but there is nothing wrong with making them hold accountability. Foul actions will have foul consequences, and that is not the fault of our fan base. If they're the ones whining about doing good things for kids because of petty Smash beef, that is all on them. They do not deserve kindness and respect unless they own up to being terrible about the situation. If they ever did do that, do let me know, but as long as I'm in the realm of them having not done so, then the ire is completely justified. None of us are in the wrong. I don't give a damn if Geno gets in or not compared to the fact that we raised some good money for those kids, and we used OS not just for what we want, but also for a fantastic cause, something greater than any ol' campaign for a video game.

"But you're being harsh!"

So were they. In fact, the personally loaded accusations are ****ing hurtful. It's deeply hurtful. Oh, but no, we're supposed to just take it and shut up, being literal doormats. Sorry, but I'm not a doormat, and I won't apologize for holding people to their actions. Period.
Drag their asses, Duck mom

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That wouldn't be too bad - at least it would be less than a week away, no matter who it is.

Now if they just said "the next Smash Bros. character will be a Mario character" and then we get no news or hints for 2-3 months, that would be rough.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Bait
Hoo boy.

I heard y'all were still being troublemakers.
As a Geno fan myself, smh

Back to being inactive :4diddy:
Glad I never took part in the chaos the more popular character threads bring into the world.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
There's another Smash forum I frequent and I avoid adding Geno to the wishlist pick discussions. I actually actively avoid bringing up Geno there to any degree because apparently even seeing the name sends some people into screaming fits.

For as much as the Smash fandom gives a dressing down to obsessive Geno fans and their behavior, its odd that obsessive detractors are excused.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If I had absolutely had to do a Mario RPG sequel, here's my take (warning, glorified fan fic to be found below)

Setting/Story: Where as the first game was weapon based army from another plane invading Mario's world, the sequel has the inverse: a separate dimension pulling elements from the Mushroom Kingdom and other familiar areas into its realm. Thus explaining why Mario, Peach, Bowser end up there, once again having to team up. And much like the contrast between Kirby Triple Deluxe and Robobot, this sequel would also invert the style of the antagonists, with a nature based Big Bad utilizing powers and forces from the natural landscape to change the world to their liking. You could even build upon the lore, with a revelation that the Smithy Gang had previously warred with them in the past and that the latter's efforts in the previous game were to create more weapons to defeat them.

Furthermore this new setting would also have various towns/locations wrecked, with the twist that while Smithy and company destroyed the Star Road and made wishes never come true, this group of villains has used magic to corrupt people's wishes in order to weaken them. Thus a jungle once desperate for an end to their drought has now been flooded. a farmland needing good crops overrun with plants, etc. This could also be what brings Geno into the story, with him being sent to end the corruption of this dimension's Star Road, but it eventually being revealed that as a Star Spirit, he too is at risk for corruption by the baddie's magic.

Characters: The original five are back as its revealed that Mallow too was pulled into the other dimension along with Mario, Bowser, and Peach. They and Geno eventually reunite, but the additional wrinkle is two new characters to join them. Luigi is promoted to playable status and one of the core dynamics is a series of comical in fighting between him and Bowser, the with the latter often forgetting his name and the former constantly unintentionally insulting the Koopa King. Luigi also works in battle as a very sklll based party member, with his attacks demanding more precise use of the action commands for maximum effect for both offense and defense.

The 7th and final party member would be a new character, a female defector from the antagonists forces teaming up with the heroes and wielding a lot of nature based attacks (ie a special attack of hitting an enemy underneath via a large root). In terms of story you could focus on why she turned against the villains and maybe even develop a friendship and/or romance with Mallow along the way.

Mechanics: Basically its all about expansion of previous concepts and a few elements lifted from M&L and PM. Counter actions are greatly emphasized with various characters being better or worse with defense/dodges against attacks (either of the physical or magical variety). Allow for a greater use of accessories for characters as the game goes on, with potential depth from how individual ones interact with each other when equipped. Weapons would also get greater expansion, with certain bonus effects now possible with the trade off of being less effective against certain enemies. The party in battle would also be expanded to 4 out of 7 characters total.

There would also be a minor incorporation of party abilities outside battles (ie a single member can travel along side Mario on the overworld). Luigi long jumps, Peach can undo corrupted NPC's/items, Bowser knocks down heavy doors/obstacles, Mallow freezes certain enemies, Geno can generate magical fields around Mario of varying effect, and the newcomer can uncover hidden items beneath the soil.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
There's another Smash forum I frequent and I avoid adding Geno to the wishlist pick discussions. I actually actively avoid bringing up Geno there to any degree because apparently even seeing the name sends some people into screaming fits.

For as much as the Smash fandom gives a dressing down to obsessive Geno fans and their behavior, its odd that obsessive detractors are excused.
No, no, they're pretty horrible too.
Smash speculation is plagued by people who take themselves too seriously and get genuinely angry at things like that, which is a damn shame because both sides for many characters make speculation just... not fun and toxic.

a random user

Smash Journeyman

this seems to be normal with popular characters, ridley, and k rool, got the same treatment, i feel like it is because the smash ballet changed speculation from "i wonder if this guy might get in" to "the popular guy gets in", and they feel like making the popular guys less popular by running off their supporters helps them be more popular by comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom